Serenity/Firefly?

Sherlock's Sparrow

Project QL Intern
Oct 24, 2006
USA
www.myspace.com
I've recently seen a movie called Serenity, which was based on a very short lived tv show called Firefly. I've been watching the tv show online. Has anyone else here seen Serenity or Firefly?

I've only seen the first ten episodes of Firefly. They made one season, and didn't show like three episodes, and were showing the rest of them out of the order they were supposed to be shown in.

I bought the Firefly boxset quite cheap on someone's recommendation and enjoyed it the first time - but I haven't watched the set again, yet.

Serenity is a good movie, seen that twice.

Hopefully they will make a sequel in the future.

I am a MASSIVE fan of all things Whedon [Checkify my Sig...] Firefly was bought on a reccomendation for me aswell and it was great - shame they ended it though (Hey! FOX! 13 Episodes???? What were you thinking!!!)

I also love Serenity - recaptures the vibe of the series and the original Star Wars trilogy - fun, action and adventure. A real Space-Western.

This INCREDIBLE series, with great actors, fantastic, witty scripts, and a great premise (a rough and tumble drama that just happens to take place in space), was killed off by a new management team at Fox for absolutely no good reason.
  • The episodes were aired out of sequence.
  • The pilot episode which nicely introduces each character was not shown until later in the season.
  • It was butted up against sports events that always ran long, so it was pre-empted frequently.
  • The timeslot was not consistent from one week to the next.
  • Advertising promoted it as an "action comedy".
Sound familiar? You can tell when a network has deprioritized a show.

Unfortunately, the management underwent a huge shakeup at Fox between the gestation of the show and the first episodes airing. The previous management was behind the show 100%. The replacements had no interest in it.

I almost hate to recommend people watch this show because it is so engaging and addictive. But once you watch the 2 hour pilot, 13 episodes and the 2 hour "finale" movie Serenity, that's all there is to watch. How many shows get such strong DVD sales that it supports a theatrical movie release for a follow-up story? Not many.

I hope that Joss Whedon will resurrect the show or do more movies. Unfortunately, Fox has a strangehold on the rights to any future Firefly stories until 2009. Firefly should have gone on for 4 seasons or more, and probably would have if it had been produced for Sci-Fi Channel. (Never thought I'd find myself saying nice things about them!)

It was butted up against sports events that always ran long, so it was pre-empted frequently.
The timeslot was not consistent from one week to the next.
Advertising promoted it as an "action comedy".
Sounds like QL. And this?
Unfortunately, the management underwent a huge shakeup at Fox between the gestation of the show and the first episodes airing. The previous management was behind the show 100%. The replacements had no interest in it.
Sounds like ST:ENT, so I feel your pain.

Firefly also required a LOT of suspension of disbelief, so once the "fans" start nit-picking, it really gets picked to death - unfairly, in a way, because the sci-fi was always secondary to the characters and their development. It's a show that definitely should have gone for more seasons. The last episode, "Objects In Space," I think it's called, is pure poetry.

feldon30 said:
The episodes were aired out of sequence.
  • The pilot episode which nicely introduces each character was not shown until later in the season.
  • It was butted up against sports events that always ran long, so it was pre-empted frequently.
  • The timeslot was not consistent from one week to the next.
  • Advertising promoted it as an "action comedy".

Yes the stations do that over here too, mainly to sci-fi, but of course even if a show does well over here, if it doesn't in the US then its deprioritized as the networks know that they won't be getting any more series, that is what happened to Journeyman, they put the first 3 eps on Wednesday at 8.30, then they found out it was not going to be taken up in the US so from then on it was bumped around, different time slots, days and even dodging between the networks main channel and secondary channel. As Bluedana said that is what happened to ST: ENT, now that was incredibly frustrating. Its so much easier to just wait until it comes out on DVD and watch it beginning to end, but i guess that doesn't do much for the ratings of a show. But how can you watch a show when it changes around from week to week :banghead

Last edited:
Yeah I brought the Firefly box set after watching Serenity and finding out it was based on / a continuation from the TV show. How can shows like this be cancelled and others survive? :disbelief It had such potential to be a long running show.

One of my very favourite series. And that gorram studio Fox? What were they thinkin'? Too gorram scared to put their man parts on the line, I reckon, 'less someone come along and shoot 'em off.
Sorry, channeling Jayne. People who have seen it will get the lines :) Where's my hat?

Also, I have a signed picture of Alan Tudyk (aka Wash the pilot) on which he wrote "Be the leaf". Doesn't get much better than that.

Sherlock's Sparrow said:
Cool! Do you have any favorite characters? I've just seen the entire season. I love Jayne.

Me too. A man walks down the street in a hat like that, you know he ain't scared of anything... lol!! Actually, I love them all. One of the reasons it works so well for me is the strong ensemble cast.