Who would you cast in the Quantum Leap movie?

ChickenStu

Project QL Intern
Nov 8, 2005
OK, we know there are rumblings of a Hollywood movie in which Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are all but guaranteed to cameo in. Question is, who gets the big roles of Sam Beckett and Al Calavicci?

Personally, I think Ewan McGregor would make an excellent Sam Beckett. He's more than capable of affecting an American accent and could easily pull off Beckett's wide eyed and innocent demeanor.

As for Al, I think Ricky Gervais would be PERFECT. I'd change his story slightly to make him English so that Gervais can talk in his normal voice. I think he'd be very funny in the part.

What do you guys think?

in the role of sam i would ve imagined arnold swartzeneger becouse he would kick *** and he would defo put the things right i mean noone puts bab i mean arnold on the corner
and as far for all well the one and only danny de vitto couse he is funny .it would be like the twins movie only scifi...
OF COURSE I AM KIDDIN I D RATHER SEE A TV SERIES 2

He'd have to let his hair grow out a bit, but for Sam I think Jensen Ackles could be a possibility. He's certainly come a long way from his soap opera days, and he does have the good looks necessary for Sam.

As for Al, although he'd have to dye his hair black, definitely Adam Baldwin. He's got some comedic chops that he showed on Chuck (usually one liners, which Al was famous for), but he's usually been cast as a military guy so it wouldn't be too much of a departure to have him as Admiral Calavicci.

I don't want to see anyone else play Sam & Al but Scott Bakula & Dean Stockwell. Bring back Scott and Dean or let the tv show stand alone with its dignity intact as the classic it is. Don't tamper with perfection.

Dean Stockwell and Scott Backula are the Sam & Al everyone knows and loves.It was their unique portrayals and personalitys that made Sam & Al live and made the show the success it was.You will never find that same chemistry with two new actors.never.

If by some chance anyone out there involved in a project to "remake" this series into a film (shudder) is reading this,please don't do it. Dean & Scott are both still alive,please don't waste the chance you have to do something truly rare and great! Buck the trends and bring them back in their original roles and give the fans a movie that continues where the show left off and BRING SAM HOME! PLEASE!!

I don't understand the "too old" mentality where movie makers seem to feel the need to gear everything to a younger different culture and audience than the show originally attracted. Please don't dumb this series down and ruin the great memories so many of us have. Quantum Leap reflects the time period it was made in and I wouldn't want to see it reimagined for todays generation.

I hope others here agree with me on this. I HATE remakes. I don't want to see a Hawaii 5-0 without Jack Lord,A Rockford Files without James Garner or a Honeymooners without Jackie Gleason. Hollywood does these remakes because they are creatively bankrupt and looking to coast on a preexisting idea with name recognition rather than actually create something original and unique.

Again,I am not opposed to a movie starring Dean and Scott that gives closure to the series,but I don't want to see a reimagined version of Quantum Leap that uses two different actors and carrys the concept in a new direction. PLEASE don't do it.

Last edited:
i agree what you said, but hawaii five o the remake is even better than the original so sometimes a remake of a movie or a tv show can be very good .
the thing is scott bacula he still might be young but dean stockwell isnt so i wish they make these 2 actors make a comeback soon and bring ql back to life before one of them retires from acting

i agree what you said, but hawaii five o the remake is even better than the original so sometimes a remake of a movie or a tv show can be very good .
the thing is scott bacula he still might be young but dean stockwell isnt so i wish they make these 2 actors make a comeback soon and bring ql back to life before one of them retires from acting

Hi,I respect your right to your opinion that the Hawaii 5-0 remake is better than the original,most people though (myself included) would strongly disagree. In fact I hate the new actor and the show and see no point in remaking something so linked to its time (the 1960's) that has been indelibly etched into tv history and beloved by so many fans. Why not create something new? you know something that will become a future classic?

To me remaking a classic show is like taking something that's loved because it reflects its time,culture and people that created it,like a 1957 Chevy or 1960 Chrysler and then "re-imagining it" as a modern finless jelly bean plastic throw out hybrid car that reflects *todays* "values" and aesthetics,but with a "Bel-Air" or 300 nameplate. Its stupid.its a modern car no matter what its called and an insult to those who know the original.

Jack Lord was Steve McGarrett,and the 1960's atmosphere that was an integral part of the original shows charm is lost in the new series. Society was on a much higher level back then,better cars,better clothes,better actors,better musicians,better scripts. My guess would be that you are a younger person who never really gave the original a chance.

I hated the remake of Knight Rider too,so did most of the original fans of the show,that's why the new series didn't last very long. Kitt isn't and never will be a mustang,(shudder) David Hasselhoff is the only Michael Knight,and I didn't care for the dark,serious tone of the new show. The original Knight Rider,like the A Team,and Dukes of Hazzard,was played with a twinkle in the eye,it wasn't dark and serious,it was simply fun.

The people who remake these shows for the most part weren't involved with the originals and have no feeling for the chemistry,writing and tone of the original series. They are simply looking to cash in on a pre-existing commodity and exploit a known franchise for a quick buck rather than actually take the effort to create something new and original.

Look at whats on Tv today.for the most part its all junk.we now have this whole genre called "reality shows" that showcase talentless egocentric amatuers,have little to no scripts,and litte to no real content,and what content there is usually turns out to be low brow and vulgar. Its the ultimate in laziness.push button production,just turn a camera on and watch a bunch of hams looking for their 15 minutes of fame make fools of themselves in front of jaded audiences. Hard to believe we once had brilliant,literate shows like The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Anyway,forgive my rant.I just hate to see beloved classics trampled upon and disgraced. I just cant imagine a Quantum Leap movie without Dean or Scott being any good. We are all fans of the show because of their portrayals of Sam & Al. it wouldn't be the same with anyone else. it couldn't be.

I do agree that Dean is older,hes 77 now,but he is still alive. What I truly wish is that Quantum Leap wouldn't have been cancelled and could have had a better ending.

Last edited: