ABLF Suggestion -- Use TVS Episode?

Liggie

Project QL Intern
Apr 16, 2006
Pacific Northwest USA
One-time lurker returning to the boards (my ID and some posts were swallowed up when the server crashed last year). I have a suggestion on how they could plot the ABLF pilot / telemovie ... use the first "Virtual Seasons" episode, with a slightly different ending.

The episode is, "Double The Leap, Double The Danger", and it was quite a well-written story (my complements to the writers, A.J. Burfield and M.J. Cogburn). Synopsis, as spoiler-free as possible if you haven't read it: Sam leaps into a teenager whose brother is plotting a Columbine-style school shooting, but "loses" himself in the teenager's rage. Back at QL headquarters, a desperate Al agress to have a QL scientist leap into the situation herself to rescue Sam. That scientist is the young Samantha Jo Fuller, who has no idea that she is Sam's daughter.

I think this would work as a pilot. Why? 1) It reintroduces Sam, Al and the QL format to the viewership, a lot of whom haven't seen the show much since its NBC run. 2) It establishes Sammy Jo as a three-dimensional character, inheriting a lot of Sam's traits but still having her own distinct personality. 3) By having Sammy Jo interact with Sam and Al during a leap, it combines the classic show with the promise of the new, and sets up a plausibility for her to do the leaping in the new series.

Changes I would recommend for the pilot? Two, one relatively minor to the individual story, and one to get the series and Sammy Jo leaping (pardon the pun).

Story: Sam's leapee and the brother plotting the shooting were identical twins. On film, I'd change the leapee to a younger brother. Seeing two Scott Bakulas on screen together would be too confusing for many viewers, and probably too expensive for the special effects / video production budget.

Series: At the end of the written episode, back at QL headquarters -- please free to say if I've gotten some of this QL lingo wrong -- Sammy Jo asks Al if Sam remembers her (I won't give it away, but there is a recognition). Al says no, but he's sure there's a spot in his Swiss-cheesed memory saved for her. In the story, Sammy Jo accepts this and continues researching a retrieval program.

In the pilot, she doesn't. She breaks down and refuses to let Sam go. "For 30 years I never knew my father. Three days ago I finally meet him, and then he gets taken away from me. I won't let that happen again! Al, I'm going to go find him." Al tries to discourage her, citing the stress concurrent leapers would have on Ziggy, but Sammy Jo's resolve won't let him get through.

Cut to next scene. In the middle of the night, Sammy Jo sneaks into the accellerator room and starts the leaping mechanism. Alarms go off all over headquarters, and Al and the other personnel rush to the accellerator. Al throws open the door, screams "Sammy Jo, don't!!!", but three seconds later the blue glow envelopes Sammy Jo. When it disappears, Sammy Jo finds herself in whatever situation the writers have chosen to structure the first regular episode about. End credits.

I think that should set up the series nicely. I do have some ideas on the series structure and features, which was on one of those swallowed-up posts; these include a mid-30's Sammy Jo leaping between 1970 and the mid-90s, and having one of Al's daughters serving as Sammy Jo's observer (Al is busy watching over Sam, though he will step in occasionally for some fatherly advice). But I can rehash those some other time.

Thoughts?

-- Mike

You know......thats a really good idea! I like it! I've read that VS story (which i thought was awesome as well...kudos to MJ and AJ), and it would make a great tv film/series pilot. :D

Samantha Beckett

On behalf of AJ, I would like to say thanks! :D

And a great idea indeed. I agree about the thing you said about having 2 Scott Bakulas on screen. However it's been done with actors on TV and even movies(wouldn't be surprised) like Michael Rosenbaum and Jonathan Frakes. If they have enough money for the special effects like that they'd do it.

Slightly off topic:

Guess who this character is:

Dr_Carson_Beckett.jpg

Actor: Paul McGillion

Steve
RossBeckett