UK/R2 Season 2 Unedited...

DVDs are limited to playing in certain regions. Region 0 means NO LIMITS. Region 1 means USA/Canada/Mexico. Region 2 means UK/Europe, etc.

The UK DVDs of Quantum Leap, which contain all of the music (the North American releases have half the music missing/substituted) are in PAL format which will not play on a North American TV (NTSC) without conversion. And as you can imagine, they are Region 2 DVDs and will not play on an unmodified North American DVD player.

A DVD-ROM drive (a DVD/CD player in your computer/laptop) cannot be set to Region 0. If you change the Region on it more than 5 times, it will stop working.

Standalone DVD players specifically designed (hacked/modified) to play all DVDs are a different story.

Hmm, all this talk about being able to just select a region from a DVD player makes me wonder if I could do the same. I have a Hitachi DVD/VCR DV-PF2U that is MP3/CD-RW/DVD-R compatible. I also have a Norcent (I can't find a serial number on it) that is DVD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW compatible. Can I select a region on either of these?

Samantha Beckett

Bought my Cyberhome CH-DVD 300 today and also ordered Region 2 Season 2! Can't wait to SEE it!!! I'm watching M.I.A. first off!!! :D

McDuck said:
Bought my Cyberhome CH-DVD 300 today and also ordered Region 2 Season 2! Can't wait to SEE it!!! I'm watching M.I.A. first off!!! :D

And here's the handset hack to make it region 0 :

"Power on, ensure no DVD in tray, press <<Menu>>, press << 1 >>, press << 9 >>. A grey box came into the middle of the screen shoing the number 1. Down arrow until this shows << 0 >>.
I've checked, switched on, off, taken out the power lead, etc.... and it now shows PAL and NTSC DVD's on my TV without having to buy additioal equipment."

:angel

I am sorry but I'm away on vacation and have only just checked in so forgive me bringing up replies from days ago

S-10 said:
Actually, Wal-Mart has players that convert PAL to NTSC, and that can be hacked to region free for around 30-40 bucks. No need for another TV.
Well I didn't necessarily mean that anyone would need to go out and buy a new TV - most modern TVs, at least in Australia, are both PAL and NTSC compatible, and I imagine it's the same in other countries. But, I only mentioned it because I had a VCR that could convert my NTSC videos to PAL with no problems, but I couldn't watch those videos on my TV because, although the VCR was advertised as capable of converting NTSC to PAL, it wasn't a true conversion, and my TV wasn't new enough to handle the NTSC signal. I just didn't want ppl to get all excited about getting the Region 2 DVDs and then find that themselves in the same boat. But as I said, this doesn't mean that anyone should go out and buy a new TV as I imagine it won't turn out to be a problem - I just mentioned it as something that ppl should perhaps check and make sure about before spending their money on the DVDs. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Fel

I just bought all three seasons last night, and i am soooooooooooo excited!!!:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray: I got Region 1, so I'll just suck it up and love it anyway;) I had a really, really, REALLY crappy day at work, and right when I got off I went to the Circuit City across the street and bought all three at once, for a lot cheaper than it said on the price tag too! So not only did my day get better because I got the DVDs, but for $35 less than I thought it was, hehe. YAY!

I'm testing my patience, and it's killing me. Memphis Melody and Mirror Image are airing monday and tuesday morning on sci-fi, and I am planning on waiting until I see the series finale until I start watching the DVDs from the beginning of season one. Wish me luck! I've played around with the bonus stuff already, hehe.

Samantha Beckett

Nice one !

I've got both Seasons 1 and 2 (R2) right now and I will order the 3rd season next month on release. I just loved these box sets so much that I must own the rest and won't be 100% happy until I have them all.

I have just finished watching the second season and I really enjoyed MIA. It was a very emotional episode and I could really feel for Al, especially when he was dancing with Beth at the end with the original music left in. I got teary many times during this episode and would of hated it if they had replaced the original music in these sets. I downloaded the altered version of the ending and it had a completely different feel - not as intense. But that's another story and has already been discussed at great length on this board.

So as you can see, I am itching to get Season 3 :).

Well I pre-ordered season 3 on R2 from amazon today. On the assumption it will also have the correct music. Let's hope it does!

I use a Sony PlayStation 2 as my DVD player. Out of curiosity, is there any way to hack model SCPH-30001 R to make it region-free? I've tried looking it up, but as usual can only find answers for everything but what I need.

Last edited:
I don't think so. You can make the PS2 region free with a special disc but it won't convert PAL to NTSC which is what you need.

Thanks. I didn't think so anyway. There are hack codes for earlier versions of the system (I think there's eight versions altogether), but like you said, those probably don't convert PAL to NTSC. I just figured why bother buying a region-free player if I could maybe convert my existing one.

Best Buy this week has the Cyberhome DVD player on sale for $29.99.....$39.99 with a $10 mail-in rebate.