Make the convention part of a vacation!

I plan to take a two-week journey across the United States and back, stopping at points of interest along the way. I also plan to see the sights in LA, as I haven't been there yet. I'd really like to make the trip on my motorcycle, but I think I won't. :moon Ouch.

I'm planning (hoping) to make it a huge vacation for me. I still have family living in Bakersfield and Fresno, so I'm hoping to go visit them while I'm out there. And since I'd already be heading four hours north of LA for Fresno, I might as well go a couple more hours and visit my all-time favorite place in California--Happy Valley Conference Center, a beautiful campground not far from Santa Cruz (it was the setting for my VS story, "Valley of Death").

I'm also hoping to go to Disneyland, too. I just realized that as of August this year, it'll have been 20 years since the first time I went to Disneyland; in May this year, it'll have been 17 years since the last time I went to Disneyland.

So, I think it's high time that I visit again. I've recently been getting sucked into the whole Disney Princess thing and also becoming a fan of Alice in Wonderland, so I'm eager to check out the park; plus, I want to go on the revamped Pirates ride, and see Jack Sparrow in person.

So... yeah, I'm planning/hoping to make it a huge vacation. Now all I need is money. LOL

Joy

Just wanted to throw out there if anyone has any questions about Disneyland, or Disney park touring in general, feel free to shoot them my way. :)

The Roger Rabbit ride. How was Disney able to do that when the rights are split between them and Ablim entertainment? It's the reason why the Disney MGM Studios (now Hollywood Studios) no longer has their Roger Rabbit attraction, and why he's not a costume character. Hmm? ;)

alsplacebartender said:
If you have never been to California before (I haven't) then why not do as I am and make the convention part of a great vacation? See Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc.

Visit any number of movie studios, see Beverly Hills, meet stars out on the streets!

And while there, take in the convention!
I think this is a great idea: in fact, Hubby and I are planning to make this the trip of a lifetime! (Three weeks: Honolulu, LA, a train trip across country visiting the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls, a couple of days in NYC, fly back to Vegas, [STAR TREK THE EXPERIENCE!! YEAH BABY!!] and then back to LA for a week including the Con.)

Josh said:
The Roger Rabbit ride. How was Disney able to do that when the rights are split between them and Ablim entertainment? It's the reason why the Disney MGM Studios (now Hollywood Studios) no longer has their Roger Rabbit attraction, and why he's not a costume character. Hmm? ;)

What Roger Rabbit attraction is this? Are you sure you're not confusing the former MGM (now Disney's Hollywood Studios) with Toontown in Disneyland, which, to my knowledge, is the only park to have a Roger Rabbit ride in it. (namely, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin)

Or, are you talking about the steamroller at the gift shop near the Backlot Tour, which was removed as part of the construction back by Mickey Avenue for Toy Story Mania, due to open this summer (at the Studios AND Disneyland)?

The ToonTown Spin. News of the steam roller going away upsets me. I'm going to cry in a corner with my limited edition Roger pins now. ;)

Either way, I'll probably only have time to make it to the Castle.

How much does it cost to go to Disneyland, and how many days are needed? What exactly is Disneyland? Is it a themed amusement park with only rides, or are there other things there?

Al The Observer said:
How much does it cost to go to Disneyland, and how many days are needed? What exactly is Disneyland? Is it a themed amusement park with only rides, or are there other things there?

Disneyland is the first ever true theme park, built by Walt Disney himself. It's got a historical ambience none of the other Disney parks have. It opened in 1955, but has changed much through the years, with some attractions being replaced by new ones, or refurbished (i.e, the addition of a few Jack Sparrow animatronics to the classic Pirates of the Caribbean ride). You'll find many rides, from slow to thrill-seeking, as well as quite a few shows. Theming and incredible attention to detail, even in the queue lines down to the trash cans themed to whatever "land" you are in. A few years back they opened Disney's California Adventure next door to Disneyland, which offers a whole new slew of attractions and shows. As far as cost, the link Emma provided should help you figure it out.

I used two-plus days just for Disneyland alone in 1999 (DCA wasn't open yet), but I'm a Disney aficionado and so part of our time was a 4- or 5-hour tour called "Walk in Walt's Footsteps"

i'm planing to come to the convention just found out that i have to pay £65 for a visa as i have a old style passport without the eletronic chip so i might just pay £72 and get a new passport with a chip even tho i still have 4 years left on my current passport , dont need a visa if i have a passport with a chip, will only be coming over for the convention days but will spend the last day before going back home around la sight seeing as my flight would leave at 8.50pm that night :)

If enough people (preferably single unattached women) plan to come into LA early, I can rent a van and show you around some sites. I hate acting like a tourist but love to show off what I know about LA.
p060.gif

p065.gif

I think that's a cool idea as I'd rather not drive around LA myself and it's nice to have someone who knows where he's going. However, my hubby wouldn't like it if I pretend that I'm single. :)

Classical Theories said:
If enough people (preferably single unattached women) plan to come into LA early, I can rent a van and show you around some sites. I hate acting like a tourist but love to show off what I know about LA.
p060.gif

p065.gif

Marc if you are serious, I'd so love to be in on that, The idea of trying to see the sites by myself is a bit daunting. And wouldn't it be loads of fun a whole bunch of us doing the touristy thing together, I can just see it, loud music, loads of laughing, lots of pictures taken (of each other being stupid.... not the sites) I thought about renting something myself, but i'd probably drive on wrong side of road. We can all share the cost too!! I was hoping to be in LA for prior 2 weeks!!

You're a legend Marc!! I guess that seats for this will be snapped up quick so I'm officially booking mine and Hayden's (naggin dragon) seats now.

Its great being able to look in the mirror and ask the boss for time off isn't it!! Although my reflection said she'd only let me go if i promised to bring her back loads of presents and duty free perfume!!

I'm IN!!! As long Classical Theories apologises for calling those cute yet ferocious little creatures, the koalas, BEARS!!! Hahahaha