Please check out the Trailer

Cool. I forgot about it too :)
I didn't do too much with it anymore. Having a bit of a break.
Well, we're trying to get the feature version done next year... it's still just a wishful thinking bubble though, that can pop any second.

I'll also need to decide if I use people I've met at workshops who are eager and comparatively experienced actors (which would include travel and organizing locations in a different city) or people from uni, who are usually overworked with study and can range from super eager to very "highschool".

I'm also getting super cgi from systemcat at the moment to finally finish another film I shot in 2007 :)

Ah. I'm sure that it can be hard to decide between experience, and the price that comes with it, or the Uni actors, who may have an "undiscovered" actor among them, is sort of a random grab-bag of talent. Good luck!

By the way, I can't wait to see that video that you are making for the Buck Rogers website.

Quite true. One major actor in the United States actually got his career by not even trying to be discovered. He was walking down the hall in High School, and he looked "muscular" enough that a producer looking for an actor who fit that role asked him if he would like a part in a movie. Just goes to show that we can find talent anywhere, if we look for it.

Oh I'm not too worried about the acting, although more experience obviously helps. If they are ready to work I can help people a lot to do pretty good work even if they aren't trained. It's more the work ethics. people who are still at uni tend to show up late, come unprepared, chat when they are supposed to do exercises and during shooting, not communicate their avialability and so on. Obviously not everyone, but there is a tendency at my uni.

And people who are out there looking for work know the value of an opportunity to practice their craft even when it's unpaid. If I give them a role they'll come back to the next rehearsal with so much preparation (research, character work,...) done, it will take a lot of work off me. They tend to be a lot more eager. Again just a tendency.

No, that seems like a perfectly logical argument. More than a tendency, that seems more like a pattern. The ones who are "unexperienced" and actually enjoy acting, or want to get ahead, will be a lot more eager than the ones who are already "experienced" and think certain things are below them. Notice that I used the two words in quotations.

That's what I thought too.

Don't forget though that with 'experienced' I mean people who have seen how tough the market really is and spend most of their time doing their lowly paid ( as they need a lot of random days off and can't take better paying jobs with stricter obligations) day job with the occasional small acting gig. Many of these are very eager.
But I can see how the routine factor can apply for people who manage to make a living out of it. And I guess you always lose some motivation when you turn your hobby into a job.

So I guess this is where your 'experienced' vs 'inexperienced' comparison applies.

While to my utter suprise among many people still studying, although I do only have a limited frame of reference, there's often a lot of 'let's put in the minimal effort and only do things when we're told and can't get away with not doing it'.
Casting is an example. I'm having a hard time finding volunteers for my projects out of almost a hundred acting students. You would think people would jump at the opportunity of getting more screen experience. And those that do join usually have to be approached individually. I held auditions with only one person bothering to rock up (late - althoug we did change to daylight savings...)
That being said I've seen very motivated students who put in a lot of work.

*L* well these are the woes of a beginning producer learning how to do things.:p:nut

They are very logical points you both make here.

I am just surprised that people would not jump at the chance to act!

I'd run over broken glass to act.

I'd be quite happy to not be paid to act, because acting is not about money. It's about life. Acting is life. Entertaining people is life. Making people certain ways, happy, sad, grumpy, mean, it's more precious than life itself.

I've never had a day of formal training, but this is what acting to me is. If it isn't better than life, then I think people are wasting their time acting......

Well, thats what acting is to me. I just figured people who really love to act would jump at the chance to do so.

Hmmmmmm......

:)

It makes sense. But some things simply also need a lot of practice before you can become good at it. Although enthusiasm definitely helps too.

Oh cool. Please send her my thanks and tell her not to worry yet.
We are still writing the new script, and although we have several ideas for the feel of the movie it's far from finalized yet. It may take a looong time until we're in the state that we can choose the music.

Your right. And frankly, I think its a big problem.

Call me odd, and thats fine. But everyone asks for "formal" training or "experience".

No offense here, but I think if a person has genuine love for something, they should'nt be turned away because of a lack of experience.

Love of something should be nurtured, not shunned.

I know what you mean, I'd take someone enthusiastic with little experience over someone with a lot of experience who doesn't seem to care. Plus, how else do you get experience? You have to start somewhere.

Hey Ang, do you want to travel up for a day and be in the scenes?
probably end february/ start march.

Ah wait, it could be done earlier, a lot of people are coming back early for a project,
early february ... could grab some of them :)

Still fiddling with the trailer :)

You seriously want me to be in scenes?

Wow - is that offer still standing?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I hadn't seen this message :(

Uhum, if you're ready to put in the travel. And you'll need to completely trust me when I direct you, because I'm looking for a very specific acting style so even if it contradicts what you may have learned, would you be ready to go with what I ask you to try? Even if it doesn't make any sense at first?

I'll probably run you, and everybody else really, through a couple of drills, and you'll have to be ready to do some work over email as you won't be around for some of the rehearsals. Best would be if you could send me some recordings so I can work with you better.

Well , let me know. :)

Wow!!!

Can I be honest with you here? I think if an actor/tress cannot trust anyone else, then how can they act? So of course I would trust you - no 2nd thoughts about it!

Also, you would have to give me an exact date you'd like me there. IF you can do this, that would be great :)

I cannot promise you I will be there, but for the moment I'll say I'll come down - if thats ok :)

You said something about sending recordings - does it matter about the quality of the recordings?

Sorry for so many silly questions here - I just want to make some things clear :)

:)

Great!
I can't give you a date yet, I will only meet my classmates end of the month and then only can i finalize things. It would have to be shot around mid march absolutely latest end march, but I'll really try to be quicker.
If you already know some dates that you won't be available, please email (email is easier for me for organizing) me which they are.

Video quality wouldn't be too important, but just enough so I can help you with some excercises.

By the way, I can't wait to see that video that you are making for the Buck Rogers website.

Pressure is so definitely on with the videos, I know you say not to wrorry, but I can't help being nervous :)

Ah, don't worry Jassian. Just remember this. I'm sure that you are a great producer, but you get to set the bar. There will be absolutely nothing to compare your video to on the website. I hope that helps a bit.

Here's a good example. On the website, I started subseries called "The Draconian Wars". My subseries, while not "competing" with the main series, has to maintain a similar level of quality. There is no other videos, so anything is better than what we already have, which is nothing on that front.

Again, I don't mean to offend you. I'm sure you'll do a great job. I'm just trying to relive stress.

I guess, it's gonna turn out alright. I'd love to do a really great job, though, with costumes and all and really fancy lighting and cool shots...
Well, most of it i won't be able to pull off.

And I don't want to let you guys down either by it looking very amateuristic. So yeah even though I'm the first I'll also be the only one, so people seeing the site might benchmark you guys by my videos (at first before reading your stories).
And I really have to do my research because to be honest even though i really like the show when i saw it, I forgot soo much about it!

Anyway thanks for boosting my morale! :D
i knew you'd rock at moral support . :)

That's the one you'll be in Ang. :)