That nagging feelin'....

Enterprise

Project QL Intern
Mar 3, 2006
Newcastle, UK
:( I love Quantum Leap and worship it like the crazed llama follower that I am and imagine im Al every time I pick up a calculator (Don't you just HAVE to smack it on the side? Just me then? Oh well...) but don't you all have that nagging feeling that this movie is never going to be made? - AAAH I SPOKE THE CURSED WORDS!!! - I just feel that if they put it off anymore it just might not hapen...... God I hope not!:bow

I do get the urge to smack my calculator... then I remember the darned thing cost about a hundred bucks and I can't afford a new one if I break this one.

And I'm trying to be optimistic. I have all my fingers and several toes crossed that it will be made.

LadyKayoss said:
I do get the urge to smack my calculator... then I remember the darned thing cost about a hundred bucks and I can't afford a new one if I break this one.

And I'm trying to be optimistic. I have all my fingers and several toes crossed that it will be made.

I have come the place that I just try to not think about it:disbelief. As much as I really really want to see Sam and Al on the big or little screen, I to have that feeling that they are going to make us wait. but then thats when bad :banghead :shoot :realmad :censored words start coming out of my mouth.

If they only knew just how much we all wanted it...I wounder if that would make them start and finish somthing!

Julie

ziggy estimates a 0.1% probability

Firstly, Dean is 70. The life expectancy of an American male is like 76. All due respect, but time is ticking - loudly.

Secondly, how many tv shows/tv movies have 2 central male characters in their 50's & 70's?

Despite strong rumours - everytime Dean/Scott/Don remark that they know nothing about it. Yet fans still decipher & analyse their responses for a glimmer of a subtle hint of a small possibility "he didn't say never ever" etc

Fans of all cult series; Roswell, Sliders, Angel want a follow up tv movie - what are their chances? 0.1% Serenity was 1 in a million. But remember its been 15 years since QL was made.

If Scifi Channel do make something of the intellectual property of QL it will probably be awful - now i don't have the scifi channel or have seen any of their show - but i remember when they took over Sliders - it was awful!

i'd love to see a tv movie or one off episode - written by Don Bellisario about the characters of Sam & Al - starring Bakula & Stockwell.

I'm sure it would rate well & have a high volume of DVD sales.

Even though i loved Mirror Image & thought it was great Same didn't return home - it would be great to reunite with these characters one more time (this is called preaching to the converted).
But it won't ever happen.

Enterprise said:
(Don't you just HAVE to smack it on the side? Just me then? Oh well...)

OMG I thought I was the only one. Growing up I'd sit in school not paying attention punching away and smacking my Calculator. I'd add up numbers to get the 100% leap factor.

Kal-El said:
Firstly, Dean is 70. The life expectancy of an American male is like 76. All due respect, but time is ticking - loudly.

What an absolutely depressing thought . . . Erg. Gotta get myself out of this melancholy, and this isn't helping. My fault, really. I chose to read the post. Poor Dean. I think he really had his heart set on continuing the series, from what I understand anyway. It was the first time he felt truly comfortable and at home with his profession. I always hear that he's pushing the series to be picked up.

Could be just me, though. Only met him once and he was kinda mean. *sigh* There goes that depression again. Gotta stop that.

SonOfSam said:
OMG I thought I was the only one. Growing up I'd sit in school not paying attention punching away and smacking my Calculator. I'd add up numbers to get the 100% leap factor.

lol yeah i do that kind of subconciously, a bit like the way sam did it in the leap back

Lunar Crystal said:
What an absolutely depressing thought . . . Erg. Gotta get myself out of this melancholy, and this isn't helping. My fault, really. I chose to read the post. Poor Dean. I think he really had his heart set on continuing the series, from what I understand anyway. It was the first time he felt truly comfortable and at home with his profession. I always hear that he's pushing the series to be picked up.

sad aint it :( i keep thinkin i better meet him before he pops his clogs ... heh

Hmmm....

LunarCrystal said:

Could be just me, though. Only met him once and he was kinda mean. *sigh* There goes that depression again. Gotta stop that.

How was it that Dean Stockwell was mean?

All I have ever heard about Dean and Scott (with people meeting them) is that they are quite amicable and absolutely lovely to meet and talk to.

MJ

I understand that people have their off days... but, I've heard of others meeting Dean and Scott and how wonderful it was. I just can't imagine Dean being mean to anyone. Unless, you know, they did something bad to him. No, I'm not saying that you did, Carol. I'm just wondering what happened, that's all.

MJ

*sigh* I wrote all about this, in detail, in my journal. But I can sum it up. I did a naive little clownish thing. Hard to explain, but I'll do my best. I talked to him about four or five times. Briefly, mostly questions I tried very hard to be relevent to his artwork. The last bit, I caught him and asked a question about one of his smaller pieces - naively hoping I could maybe buy something. I made the major mistake of asking how much one of his tarot card pieces were. His pat response was, "1200". Well, in a moment of naive lightheartedness, I did a little dejected gesture by slumping my shoulders. It's a habit I do, part of my personality. Well, it was not appreciated. I was chided by him ("Dear, you know, a lot of hard work, time, and effort went into making those."), and while I desperately tried to apologize, he walked away.

My personal opinion was that he could have reacted to that a little differently. He could have not said anything at all, no big deal. He could have waited for me to apologize, placated me a little. I'm twenty four. I'm allowed naive moments. So, whatever. I felt horrible after that happened, and wanted to get away as soon as possible. Now I just figured he could have handled it better.

So there you go. The short short version.

LunarCrystal said:
*sigh* I wrote all about this, in detail, in my journal. But I can sum it up. I did a naive little clownish thing. Hard to explain, but I'll do my best. I talked to him about four or five times. Briefly, mostly questions I tried very hard to be relevent to his artwork. The last bit, I caught him and asked a question about one of his smaller pieces - naively hoping I could maybe buy something. I made the major mistake of asking how much one of his tarot card pieces were. His pat response was, "1200". Well, in a moment of naive lightheartedness, I did a little dejected gesture by slumping my shoulders. It's a habit I do, part of my personality. Well, it was not appreciated. I was chided by him ("Dear, you know, a lot of hard work, time, and effort went into making those."), and while I desperately tried to apologize, he walked away.

My personal opinion was that he could have reacted to that a little differently. He could have not said anything at all, no big deal. He could have waited for me to apologize, placated me a little. I'm twenty four. I'm allowed naive moments. So, whatever. I felt horrible after that happened, and wanted to get away as soon as possible. Now I just figured he could have handled it better.

So there you go. The short short version.

I had not read your journal, Carol. Thank you for summing up what happened. You have to realize though that he's an artist and that in those art shows that even the smallest of pieces are going to be expensive.

I can understand his response and I'm sure that when he saw that reaction, he knew (to some degree) that you weren't going to buy a piece, so he walked away.

I'm sorry, Carol that you felt that way.

Edit:
I want to apologize publicly to Carol. I re-read what I wrote previously. Not having been to an Art show myself and not knowing rules and protocol of approaching the artist, I could have done the same thing. I never meant to make Carol feel worse nor to dictate to her how she should or shouldn't have done anything. Again, Carol, I sincerely apologize.

MJ

Last edited:
QL Damsel said:
I had not read your journal, Carol. Thank you for summing up what happened. You have to realize though that he's an artist and that in those art shows that even the smallest of pieces are going to be expensive.

I can understand his response and I'm sure that when he saw that reaction, he knew (to some degree) that you weren't going to buy a piece, so he walked away.

I'm sorry, Carol that you felt that way.

Edit:
I want to apologize publicly to Carol. I re-read what I wrote previously. Not having been to an Art show myself and not knowing rules and protocol of approaching the artist, I could have done the same thing. I never meant to make Carol feel worse nor to dictate to her how she should or shouldn't have done anything. Again, Carol, I sincerely apologize.

MJ

Your apology is accepted, of course. It's really not a problem, so long as you understand what I was trying to say. It's more than just what Dean did. It's the fact that what he did is something that far too many people do - don't wait for the apology. That kind of behavior sucks and galls the hell out of me.

Admitting to our mistakes takes a lot of courage, so I commend you, MJ, for doing so. Thank you for taking the time to understand me and my circumstances regarding the incident with Mr. Stockwell.

Of course, he is a bit hard of hearing now...he might not have even heard your apology...

McDuck said:
Of course, he is a bit hard of hearing now...he might not have even heard your apology...
*blink* . . .

He is? Is that why he kept leaning down, bending his ear, and saying "Huh?" really loud? 'Cause I wondered about that...

*sigh* I so, so, very much wish I could really apologize to him, you know? The absolute last thing I could have ever dreamt of happening was pissing off my hero. Months later, and I still feel bad. Severe ambivilance here - I feel bad, but I think he was a little mean. How messed up is that? Erg, it frustrates me just to think about it.

LunarCrystal said:
*blink* . . .

He is? Is that why he kept leaning down, bending his ear, and saying "Huh?" really loud? 'Cause I wondered about that...

*sigh* I so, so, very much wish I could really apologize to him, you know? The absolute last thing I could have ever dreamt of happening was pissing off my hero. Months later, and I still feel bad. Severe ambivilance here - I feel bad, but I think he was a little mean. How messed up is that? Erg, it frustrates me just to think about it.

I think Dean would look at this site every now and then. Maybe he's seen how sorry you are. Ya never know.

Like I said... I wish. Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. But I doubt he spends time idly browsing forums of an old TV show that he was on. I could be wrong, since stranger things have happened.

Yeah, your probs right... But if I was him I would want to know what people thought of me. Come on, wouldn't you like to know too?

Yes, but that's going into a whole different kind of psychological analysis that I'm not sure I'm ready to dive into. The short version is: the kind of person I am, yes, I would. The kind of person he seems to be, not so much. He's got other things to do. *shrug*

Perhaps Another Interpretation

I don't know how many people have read Stephen Covey's "7 Habits of Highly Sucessful People" so if you've read this part...well...it's worth telling again.

Mr. Covey was on a subway car one Sunday morning. A number of other riders were on the same car, reading papers or other items...just having a quiet morning as they went from point A to point B. At one stop a man with several very young children got on the subway car. The man was totally oblivious to the fact that his children were acting up. The other passengers in the car were obviously upset to, glaring at the man for being so inconsiderate of their feelings. Covey's own interpretation of how the man was acting was "Gee...can't this guy see what his kids are doing? How annoying they are? He should be be doing something."

Covey decided he should say something rather than suffering in silence. He went over to the man and asked him to take better control of his children. The man just looked up and said "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't notice...you see we just came from the hospital where their mother died this morning."

It totally changed everyone's viewpoint of what was happening. People reached out to the children, helping them until the man reached his stop.

How does this have any relevance?

Carol...on your side you've decided what the man must have meant by his actions, decided that he was not willing to hear your apology, and that he was not allowing you to be young and make mistakes. That is no different than what Covey and the others did with the man on the subway car. They made an assumption based only on their own subjective reactions.

We all tend to do that. It is a part of human nature. Yet, as Jennie has indicated, perhaps there is another interpretation of the situation. Who really knows?

As to where Dean was coming from. You indicated that you'd asked multiple questions about his artwork over the course of the evening. He may have assumed that you were interested in possibly aquiring a piece. As MJ pointed out, he is an artist and this was an art showing. The fact that he'd interacted well with you on all the previous questions would indicate that he was not being mean. When you finally did ask about the cost...perhaps you can see that his human nature was to be somewhat hurt. He'd put work into the piece and could've been a bit sad that it didn't seem to be appreciated. I've heard other artists make a similar plea when asked why they would charge so much for somthing.

Additionally, he does not know you or your idiosyncrancies. To expect that he would understand that what to you was a little mistake was only that might be a bit much to expect in one night. How he read your body language would have to come from experiences he's had...and perhaps from his point of view, the way he handled it was what a perfectly reasonable gentleman would. He may have been making certain assumptions as well.

So...it could be that this was just a human interaction that went in an unexpected direction. Contexted meaning should not be applied with such absolute certainty. Is it possible Dean was being mean? Anything is possible. However, based on the way he answered your previous questions and the general way the man has treated people in the past, it is likely that another context of his actions is likely.

Please understand, I'm just speculating here. I was not there. I did not see the interactions. I would prefer to hear Dean's thoughts on the matter (but probably never will.) All I'm saying is that perhaps being charitable as to why someone would act a particular way would be the better path to take than beleiveing the man was acting in a socially negative manner.

Just my thoughts on this tricky situation.

asearcher said:
I don't know how many people have read Stephen Covey's "7 Habits of Highly Sucessful People" so if you've read this part...well...it's worth telling again.

Mr. Covey was on a subway car one Sunday morning. A number of other riders were on the same car, reading papers or other items...just having a quiet morning as they went from point A to point B. At one stop a man with several very young children got on the subway car. The man was totally oblivious to the fact that his children were acting up. The other passengers in the car were obviously upset to, glaring at the man for being so inconsiderate of their feelings. Covey's own interpretation of how the man was acting was "Gee...can't this guy see what his kids are doing? How annoying they are? He should be be doing something."

Covey decided he should say something rather than suffering in silence. He went over to the man and asked him to take better control of his children. The man just looked up and said "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't notice...you see we just came from the hospital where their mother died this morning."

It totally changed everyone's viewpoint of what was happening. People reached out to the children, helping them until the man reached his stop.

How does this have any relevance?

Carol...on your side you've decided what the man must have meant by his actions, decided that he was not willing to hear your apology, and that he was not allowing you to be young and make mistakes. That is no different than what Covey and the others did with the man on the subway car. They made an assumption based only on their own subjective reactions.

We all tend to do that. It is a part of human nature. Yet, as Jennie has indicated, perhaps there is another interpretation of the situation. Who really knows?

As to where Dean was coming from. You indicated that you'd asked multiple questions about his artwork over the course of the evening. He may have assumed that you were interested in possibly aquiring a piece. As MJ pointed out, he is an artist and this was an art showing. The fact that he'd interacted well with you on all the previous questions would indicate that he was not being mean. When you finally did ask about the cost...perhaps you can see that his human nature was to be somewhat hurt. He'd put work into the piece and could've been a bit sad that it didn't seem to be appreciated. I've heard other artists make a similar plea when asked why they would charge so much for somthing.

Additionally, he does not know you or your idiosyncrancies. To expect that he would understand that what to you was a little mistake was only that might be a bit much to expect in one night. How he read your body language would have to come from experiences he's had...and perhaps from his point of view, the way he handled it was what a perfectly reasonable gentleman would. He may have been making certain assumptions as well.

So...it could be that this was just a human interaction that went in an unexpected direction. Contexted meaning should not be applied with such absolute certainty. Is it possible Dean was being mean? Anything is possible. However, based on the way he answered your previous questions and the general way the man has treated people in the past, it is likely that another context of his actions is likely.

Please understand, I'm just speculating here. I was not there. I did not see the interactions. I would prefer to hear Dean's thoughts on the matter (but probably never will.) All I'm saying is that perhaps being charitable as to why someone would act a particular way would be the better path to take than beleiveing the man was acting in a socially negative manner.

Just my thoughts on this tricky situation.

You raise some very good points and I find myself hardpressed to argue them. You are right, of course. In many ways, I'm still growing up, and there are many things I still don't understand. Especially in dealing with distinguished older gentlemen. In any situation, really. My grandmothers are the only people I really interact with that come from an old fashioned upbringing like Dean, and they treat me like "granddaughter" not like "individual art appreciator".

I don't know him. He doesn't know me. The way I acted was a behavior that was fairly misinterpreted and I shouldn't assume that it should be understood.

Yes, he was kind to me for most of the evening. I did feel that I was getting overzealous. I was all alone, traveled alone, staying alone, and spoke to Dean more than anyone else that entire evening. Part of it was being scared that I had no one to lean on to, and part of it was that I was finally interacting with my hero after so many years of seeing his face on a screen.

I still feel I blew it, bigtime. And that it's my own fault for being childish. I figure that the only way to really redeem myself in that situation would be to finally purchase some of his work - maybe send him a letter telling him that I'm sorry about my foolish behavior along with the purchase. Money was tight then. When I asked the price, I felt horrible I couldn't afford it. But things are better now, so maybe that's the appropriate course of action?

Redemption

Carol:

If you can afford to buy artwork and WISH to do so because you truly appreciate his work, then, of course, I believe he would appreciate that. You could equally as well just write a letter.

However, irregardless of whether you buy his artwork or not, you should not expect that you will receive any correspondance or acknowledgement from him. He may contact you, he may not. Purchases of an artist's products and/or correspondance sent do not automatically require a response in kind.

At this point in time, I'm sure that in the overall picture, your feelings of what occured are much stronger than what he felt. He meets many people and it is unlikely you will ever know exactly what impact (if any) was acheived through the interaction.

I met Scott outside of Ford's Theatre this past spring several times and even had a couple of speaking interchanges. Do I expect that he even recalls me? No...not at all. It was a memory for me but I'm sure not for him. Do I think that is "wrong" of him? Absolutely not. His world is vastly different from my own. I still appreciate him for his body of work but would not expect he has any reciprocal interest whatsoever.

The main thing about this entire fan stuff is...we are the fans. We appreciate the shows and actors. We discuss information that 90% of the world (+/- depending on which shows and actors) do not really care about...at least not on this level. There are people out there who don't even know there is a genre of writing called fanfiction. There are people out there who would never consider going to a function "just because" a certain person will be in attendance. This doesn't make what we do wrong. I'm sure that the production personnel of the shows and the actors themselves appreciate the fact that people really like them, enough to spend their hard earned money to continue to support the venues/people. That's what the entertainment/artistic world(s) are all about. You don't have fans, your ability to be sucessful becomes somewhat limited.

However, we have to also know as fans that there is a big difference between what our focus and desires are and what the focus and desires of the objects of our appreciation are. They are NOT the same thing. Yes, appreciate them, care about them, write fanfiction and do other creative things, write letters, purchase things they do whether in the area of performance or art, meet them (with dignity and grace) when you have the chance, get a picture or an autograph in the format they choose to utilize. All of that is what fans do.

On the otherhand, all of that should not be construed as the opening to have a reciprocal relationship. If it happens (and it has on occasion with many in the Entertainment/Artistic and other communities,) great...you are very lucky. The chances of that happening are rare. More likely, it won't happen at all...you'll just have your moment with all the good and bad (real or imagined) that exists in that moment.

So...bottom line...take what this moment had to offer you in the joy of interacting with the person you have great respect for and the lessons for future interactions with him or any other person you may feel an appreciation for.

Last edited:
So, at what point did you assume that I was expecting to have a relationship with him? I know about the fan thing. I know about getting a little too excited about going to meet a celebrity, or going to an event, seeing the movie, writing the fanfiction.

You're right about this: I probably do feel worse than he does. He doesn't know my name. Probably doesn't remember me, or what happened. It doesn't affect him, he doesn't dwell on it. I'm a nobody. He, as the object of my appreciation, has more meaning to me than I to him. I understand this very well. It doesn't erase my guilty conscience. It doesn't stave away the urge to apologize profusely, regardless of whether he remembers what I'm apologizing for.

I did go to that art exhibition because I liked his artwork. I like the art, and I like what he's about. I made a point to research his pieces and read up on some of his interests before going, and everything I learned made me appreciate it all a lot more. He has three pieces that I've picked out to buy, now that I'm okay for it. I do intend on purchasing because of a genuine appreciation of the work.

I'm not expecting anything. Not to be his friend. Not correspondence. I just don't like thinking that I hurt somebody, especially my hero, even if it was a fleeting moment. I want to be honest, and grounded, about making up for my mistake. It's just that simple.

Clarification

The assumption I made was that you would want to have an acknowledgement that he either accepted or did not accept your apology. Nothing more. That was the only reciprocal response I was referring to. Irregardless of what you do, that may or may not happen. You may never know.

I see the purchase of the artwork separate from the apology though. If you wish to purchase it because you like it (and it sounds like you do), then if you have the money to do so, buy the peice that you love. But buy it because the piece is something that touches you, not to make up for something else.

Personnally, the only piece that I would like to acquire of his is "Taos Mountain" which I like very much. While I appreciate his other works, they are not pieces I would choose to acquire myself. I am happy they appeal to others, however. I hope he remains sucessful in this endeavor of creativity.

If it were me and I thought I'd hurt someone (it wouldn't really matter who), I would provide my apology and then let it go. If the person wants to tell me it's accepted...fine. But that is totally up to them and at the point of the apology, I've done everything in my power to take responsiblity for my own actions and to try to rectify a situation I believe I have caused.

I did not intend to offend you with my posting about fan behavior. If I inadvertently done so, I do apologize for doing so.

Clarification

The assumption I made was that you would want to have an acknowledgement that he either accepted or did not accept your apology. Nothing more (e.g. not that you wished to start anything further including a friendship.) The acknowlegement was the only reciprocal response I was referring to. Irregardless of what you do, that may or may not happen. You may never know how your apology is taken.

I see the purchase of the artwork separate from the apology though. If you wish to purchase it (them) because you like it (them) (and it sounds like you do), then if you have the money to do so, buy the peice(s) that you love. But buy it (them) because the piece(s) are something that touch you, not to make up for something else.

Personnally, the only piece that I would like to acquire of his is "Taos Mountain" which I like very much. While I appreciate his other works, they are not pieces I would choose to acquire myself. I am happy they appeal to others, however. I hope he remains sucessful in this endeavor of creativity.

If it were me and I thought I'd hurt someone (it wouldn't really matter who), I would provide my apology and then let it go. If the person wants to tell me it's accepted...fine. But that is totally up to them and at the point of the apology, I've done everything in my power to take responsiblity for my own actions and to try to rectify a situation I believe I have caused.

I did not intend to offend you with my posting about fan behavior. If I inadvertently done so, I do apologize for doing so.

ADDITONAL THOUGHT AFTER POSTING
OH...and I would never say that you are a nobody. You are somebody. Your experiences on this earth are just as valid and worthy as anything that anyone else may have. Only in the somewhat whacked world of celebrityhood are we "nobodies." But that is not a world that I use as a measure of who I am or who anyone else is. The only good thing about it is that persons who do hold a "celebrity" status, by the very fact that people get to hear what celebrities say and do, we sometimes learn about a neat person who we wouldn't have known about if they hadn't become a celebrity. It's a rather warped paradox, but it exists none the less.

I've met some really cool people in fandom situations. It is an activity that is interesting and (overall) fun to participate in.

Last edited:
asearcher said:
The assumption I made was that you would want to have an acknowledgement that he either accepted or did not accept your apology. Nothing more (e.g. not that you wished to start anything further including a friendship.) The acknowlegement was the only reciprocal response I was referring to. Irregardless of what you do, that may or may not happen. You may never know how your apology is taken.

I see the purchase of the artwork separate from the apology though. If you wish to purchase it (them) because you like it (them) (and it sounds like you do), then if you have the money to do so, buy the peice(s) that you love. But buy it (them) because the piece(s) are something that touch you, not to make up for something else.

ADDITONAL THOUGHT AFTER POSTING
OH...and I would never say that you are a nobody. You are somebody. Your experiences on this earth are just as valid and worthy as anything that anyone else may have. Only in the somewhat whacked world of celebrityhood are we "nobodies." But that is not a world that I use as a measure of who I am or who anyone else is. The only good thing about it is that persons who do hold a "celebrity" status, by the very fact that people get to hear what celebrities say and do, we sometimes learn about a neat person who we wouldn't have known about if they hadn't become a celebrity. It's a rather warped paradox, but it exists none the less.

I've met some really cool people in fandom situations. It is an activity that is interesting and (overall) fun to participate in.
I feel it is appropriate to say thank you. Your words are honest and sincere. I'll admit I can bristle up a little too easily about the fandom thing. Or just anything in general. I can be a little too defensive. Your apology is accepted, and I apologize in turn.

And thank you for acknowledging and reminding me that I'm, in fact, not a nobody. It helps. ^.^