time stood still

leaper

Project QL Intern
May 13, 2006
ok this might have been discussed many times here in the thread but it still bugs me a little.I was watching the episode leap back and in one scene of the ep sam said donna how he felt in these 2 years of his absence,and donna said nothing.And here is the silly part if those 2 years passed and sam was traped in time for 2 whole year,then why the year was still 1999?:banghead why not 2001:hurray: i mean this doesnt make any sence.If i go back in time, i might be back in time but the time in my timeline will go on Its not gonna stand still.So why didnt we see that on ql?maybe that seems a little detail but it would be nice if they cleared that up with the time and not leave details like this one unexplained.
It might be fiction but it d be nice if they tried to make the show more realistic

leaper said:
ok this might have been discussed many times here in the thread but it still bugs me a little.I was watching the episode leap back and in one scene of the ep sam said donna how he felt in these 2 years of his absence,and donna said nothing.And here is the silly part if those 2 years passed and sam was traped in time for 2 whole year,then why the year was still 1999?:banghead why not 2001:hurray: i mean this doesnt make any sence.If i go back in time, i might be back in time but the time in my timeline will go on Its not gonna stand still.So why didnt we see that on ql?maybe that seems a little detail but it would be nice if they cleared that up with the time and not leave details like this one unexplained.
It might be fiction but it d be nice if they tried to make the show more realistic

These are details that are really just continuity errors. Why? Because I can't even come up with a logical explanation for it. :lol The "present" year discrepancies occur in every season premiere. I think what happened is that Don Bellisario simply likes to keep the future a certain amount of years ahead of real time. So if a year passes in real-life, he'll make a year pass by for the "present" in the show, too.

In Season 1, Sam's initial leap took place in May of 1995 (Sam explains in "Killin' Time" that he created a secret government project in 1995). By at least the time "All-Americans" aired in Season 2, the year was 1996 (as evidenced by Al talking about the Super Bowl, which, in a bizarre coincidence, turned out to have the same teams play in the same year, with even the same score that Al mentions!).

In "Shock Theater," the leap year was 1954, and Al explains to Tibby that he's 43 years in the future, which made the present 1997. Just one episode later in "The Leap Back," the date is September 18, 1999. And in "Lee Harvey Oswald" the biggest discrepancy occurs when the date is revealed to be February 14, 1999. In "Star Light, Star Bright," Sam reveals the date to be May 1, 1999.

And finally, I believe in one of the early drafts for "Mirror Image," the year is supposed to be 2000, but this is never mentioned, so I believe it technically remains 1999.

So the bottom line is that Sam can bounce around to any year in no particular order, but the present year (we're led to believe, anyway), is supposed to be in real-time, meaning that for each year Sam leaps, a year goes by at the Project. But then you also have contradictions to that fact, where Al explains in "Genesis" that the Project has been popping champagne bottles for 6 days, when only a day went by for Sam. I think Bellisario always confused the idea of jumping around in time with the idea of having the present's time being properly consecutive.

QLNut said:
And finally, I believe in one of the early drafts for "Mirror Image," the year is supposed to be 2000

It's supposed to be 2000 in season five all together because in the Leap Back Al tells Sam that the present day is September 18, 1999. In LHO The month is Feburary yet it mistakenly still has the year as 1999 as they also do in StarLight StarBright as I mentione in my thread regaring the truth serum.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
It's supposed to be 2000 in season five all together because in the Leap Back Al tells Sam that the present day is September 18, 1999. In LHO The month is Feburary yet it mistakenly still has the year as 1999 as they also do in StarLight StarBright as I mentione in my thread regaring the truth serum.

Actually, I think the episode that screws up the chronological order is "The Leap Back." And that's because while every other premiere has one year passing by, "The Leap Back" skips from 1997 to 1999. Season 1 is 1995 (but is less than half a season, so therefore an entire year shouldn't pass by at the Project); half of Season 2 should still be 1995 until "All-Americans" when it is January of 1996; Season 3 should be 1997; Season 4 should be 1998; and Season 5 should be 1999. Everything would have been nice and neat that way.

the leap back made me think of somewhere in time/bid time return by richard matheson...made me start to jot notes for my own fan fiction 'cause sometimes i wonder if sam's mind created the "quantum leaping" we see because he has a voice over/narrator/third party tone to it...consciousness is such an unknown in "modern" neuroscience, hence now after how long could we make a neurohybrid computer...and "sam beckett" could make one a decade before...enough of my rants, this is from a young woman who is fascinated by chemistry and the human brain...

If that's the idea I think it is, I think someone stressed it before, but I am sorry to say I hate it. No offense to you though, I think you could write a great fanfic with it. :)

Hi...

I always thought it was kinda interesting that in the last episode, the sign on the wall behind Strapah read '10th reunion'

Ok, so let me get this straight - Sam's first leap date was sometime in 1995 not 1999, putting the series 6 years in the future not 10.
And series 1 is Project year 1995 / Our time 1989, series 2 1996 / 1990, series 3 1997 / 1991, however theres a continuity error between 'Shock Theater' and 'The Leap Back' (series 3 and 4) which misses out 1998. 1999 / 1993 is then series 4, but mainly 5.
I think ive got it right, just one question, why is 1999 commonly held as the date of Sam's first leap? Wikipedia (i know, not the most reliable source) and Al's Place FAQ Primer put 1995 as project QuantumLeap's conception date and 1999 as Sam's first leap.

QL Nut said:
These are details that are really just continuity errors. Why?
In "Shock Theater," the leap year was 1954, and Al explains to Tibby that he's 43 years in the future, which made the present 1997. Just one episode later in "The Leap Back," the date is September 18, 1999. And in "Lee Harvey Oswald" the biggest discrepancy occurs when the date is revealed to be February 14, 1999. In "Star Light, Star Bright," Sam reveals the date to be May 1, 1999.

It is hard to find a logical "show canon" reason for the discrepancies (and fans could tie themselves in knots trying) - the RL reason for them looks like the episodes aired in a different order from the one in which they were written.