My Handlink Replica

It beats me the way, so many people want a Handlink - usually "Gummi bear" one - Children (like me) AND adults that they never released a toy or replica! Terrible!

It could be that since there were three different light-up handlinks, maybe the light setup is slightly different in each? Also, I've always wondered if the handlink props on the show actually made those sound effects or if those sounds were just added to each episode's soundtrack later in the editing room.

I think most people prefer the "Gummi Bear" handlink because it's more colorful and unrecognizable. I like the old handlink, but the back of it seems plain and it always kind of reminded me of a fancy calculator.

Its a shame we cant get a really good reference picture of the gummi bear handlink in perfect quality and BIG! With no shines or Blot-outs to realy clarify design and colour. But I dont even know where the original is to ask for pictures. :(

There's a picture of it on this site which is pretty good. Also, another good shot of it is in "Killin' Time," where Al is driving his Ferrari chasing Styles. He picks it up and flips it around for a second but I think it would make a really good shot.

I knew about the site one but in killin' time? I thought I recalled one from that but I only have it in bad quality on video of course. Season 5 DVD Hurry up!!!!!!! lol

From Al's Place - Imaging Chamber. First noticed by Jeddie..

Last edited:
So we now have 4/5 shots of the handlink front and a couple of lighting. But still we have problems. For instance, how many LED's are in the handlink? how could you put a sound circit in without blocking the LED light? What material could one use? How can you make the clear, sides of the handlink? all questions that one would need to work out to make a good handlink. lol

It appears to be a clear rectangular box with colored pieces bonded to it.

It also appears to be two different kinds of colored materials. 1/4" lucite/acrylite squares and then thicker forms. I do actually have a box of lucite/acrylite 'samples' which I could cut to shape.

I've been told that the absolute minimum tools for cutting plastic cleanly is a Carbide 90 tooth circular saw blade.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/shop_cart/pg_print_product.jsp?MID=9876&prod_id=178079

Well that's where you end up with very soft-edged pieces. The handlink is all hard edges. Wouldn't it be wonderful if a mould could be made and the plastic just poured into it and then tinted from the inside with different markers? But plastic doesn't tint well and the end result is all soft edges. :(

A couple more pictures:

They are from the episode it just changed for good in, "The Great Spontini" Is it just me or does the handlink look a weird arrangement and shape, could it be some kind of prototype, of the main Gummi handlink?

Attachments

• weirdhandlink.jpg
    weirdhandlink.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 77
  • weirdhandlink2.jpg
    weirdhandlink2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 75
  • weirdhandlink3.jpg
    weirdhandlink3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 77
Ohh, The trouble with fimo transparent is that it is not transparent. Yeah, It would be cool if you could tint the plastic like that!

Als_Holographic_Helper said:
A couple more pictures:

They are from the episode it just changed for good in, "The Great Spontini" Is it just me or does the handlink look a weird arrangement and shape, could it be some kind of prototype, of the main Gummi handlink?

I've noticed that before, too. I couldn't remember which episode it was but I vaguely remembered that it looked a lot different in one of the episodes. My guess is that it was just a prototype and wasn't completed by the time they were ready to begin filming. Kind of like how the original handlink was just a clear plastic piece because it wasn't completed in time for "Genesis."

By the way, why is one of my posts missing? I commented on one of the handlink pictures and Jeddie replied that it was supposedly real, but they are missing.

I'm terribly sorry about that. In the process of trying to get usernames associated with old EZBoard posts, another 2-3 posts were lost.

I believe all the bugs are worked out in the EZBoard->vB Post Associator script!

feldon29 said:
I'm terribly sorry about that. In the process of trying to get usernames associated with old EZBoard posts, another 2-3 posts were lost.

I believe all the bugs are worked out in the EZBoard->vB Post Associator script!

Oh, OK. No big deal. I was just wondering.

I was watching "The Boogiem@n" again last night and happened to notice that the slightly different handlink from "The Great Spontini" is in this episode as well. Interestingly enough, both this version and the regular "gummi bear" one are in the episode.

You can catch a glimpse or two near the middle of the episode when Al is still the Devil, and then at the end when he is his normal self, he has the normal handlink. This episode was filmed after "The Great Spontini" and was probably still filmed at a point where they needed a "dummy" version that didn't light up. Or, if you want to get creative about it, maybe the Devil couldn't exactly replicate Al's handlink and that's why His is slightly different. :b

Last edited:
Ohh, cool. It could be the Devil not being able to replicte the handlink exactly, but this poses a question, In "The Great Spontini" why did he have the "Devil" handlink????

Spooky.

How did I know you would ask that? :lol OK, I guess we could go back to the "prototype" theory. The Devil replicated the prototype, but He couldn't make it actually work. ;)

Last edited:
Jeddie, Ian's main home page is still up. He has his e-mail address listed there. He's a real sweet guy (I believe he even still posts regularly at rastql on Usenet). Just give him an e-mail....if the pages are irreparably down, I guarantee you he still has the information.

http://users.comlab.ox.ac.uk/ian.collier/index.html

Good luck!