Quantum Mistakes

Al's Handlink said:
I may be wrong, But I think that the first time that the Clunk-Zoom Imaging Chamber door was used, and shown was in the episode Blind Faith.

No, the first time it was officially used was in "What Price Gloria?" as well as the regular leap effect.

I noticed a mistake pertaining to the Al being a hologram deal. I just saw it yesterday watching the DVDs but I watched about 5 episodes then so I think it was Her Charm (it could have been All Americans, could've been Freedom, some ep right in that area, I cant remember). Al was wearing a brown suede looking jacket, if that could jog someone's memory, i doubt it tho. In the scene, Sam was talking to someone else with Al next to him, and Sam turns away from the other guy and past Al. When Scott turns, he brushes up against Deans elbow, and his jacket noticably ruffles when its hit. Al's the hologram, Dean isnt, lol.

Samantha Beckett

This might be a little picky, but at the end of M.I.A., when Sam leaps and Al diaappears, he is kissing Beth's forehead and pressing her hair against her forhead.

But then again, Maybe, just maybe, when Sam was leaping, Al was actually there for a split second, which would explain why she said, "Al," immediatly following.

Can't remember WHERE I read this, but I do believe that DPB did intend that Beth did feel Al's kiss at the end of M.I.A.

I think that in most cases the scripts of episodes are written by many people. different writers have different interpretations. things sometimes are tweeked to help explain the story. It is the same in all sci fi shows. sometimes things just dont make sense to really big fans because they expect the universe to stay exactly the same. I think this is one of the reasons that quantum leap started having problems. The episodes that I disliked the most is the ones where sam became famous people in history. The whole idea is that sam would effect the world on a smaller scale. But Nbc thought these episodes would help raise the ratings when in effect I think it hurt some of the original fans. Quantum leap did a pretty good job keeping the fiction the same but made changes that are better not to even try to explain. when explaining it sometimes makes it worse. I say except it for what it is..

Here's a really simple mistake - in the episode "Star Crossed" when Sam looks up from his wallet into the mirror, the movements between Sam and the reflection aren't synchronised.

There is a slight mistake in Genesis. After Sam chats with Al in the bar, he runs out to see where he has gone. Just before that Sam pauses to look around and you can see Sams reflection in the jukebox.

Edit: Also when the Strattons are having the BBQ, I'm sure Sam's parting switches sides!

Another "mistake" - if Sam had originally created PQL because he wanted to make the world a better place - brought about by the crises in his family, why would he create Project rules that prohibit personal gain?

naggindragon said:
Here's a really simple mistake - in the episode "Star Crossed" when Sam looks up from his wallet into the mirror, the movements between Sam and the reflection aren't synchronised.

There are a lot of those, the first being in Genesis when he sees Tom Stratton in the shower mirror.

naggindragon- haha, good point. He didn't think thru too much. But then, he says in Mirror Image (with prompting from the bartender) that he created to "put things right that once went wrong" like in general. I think he was talking about the worlds wrongs as a whole and not particularly realted to his family. I'm sure that crossed his mind and parked the back corner for a while but, Sam is the kind of person to put others before himself. That's why he made that rule, to make sure he put the needs of others first before his own.

Samantha Beckett

Here's another slight error...

In every epsiode where Al disappears (ones that come to mind are "Shock Theater" and "Ghost Ship"), Al looks at his own body as he fades in and out. The problem is, to Al, everything around him is a hologram to him, so he should in fact be looking at his surroundings because that's what he should be seeing disappear──not himself.

QL Nut said:
Here's another slight error...

In every epsiode where Al disappears (ones that come to mind are "Shock Theater" and "Ghost Ship"), Al looks at his own body as he fades in and out. The problem is, to Al, everything around him is a hologram to him, so he should in fact be looking at his surroundings because that's what he should be seeing disappear??not himself.

Maybe that is precisely why he focusses on himself, because it is less disconcerting to look at something constant than seeing everything vanish around you.

I agree. Or maybe he's comparing himself (a constant) with the image around him to see if it's really fading.

Edit:
I also noticed something while watching Dreams last night (not an episode to watch before bedtime, but I was at work):
When Sam was breaking into the doctor's office, Scott's reflection was all over the glass doors. (Oops.)
At the end of Sam's session with the doctor in his office, Al pops in, and he says that the other guy's not the killer. Then Dean's lips say "Jack is" but Dean's voice says "You are". That change is reflected in the caption.

I get the impression that it was just the most natural way for Dean to act the scene. I think looking around everywhere would have made most of the general audience wonder, "Why is he looking around like that? He's the one disappearing!" By Al looking at himself, it makes sense to most of the audience who aren't thinking too deeply into it. I'm not even sure Don Bellisario or Dean even really noticed or cared about the logistics. Don has been known to be a little laid back in terms of all the quantum mechanics, like Ziggy's voice being referred to as a "he" and then turning out to be a "she."

There's a reflection error in "8 1/2" months that I've noticed. When they're wheeling Sam into the delivery room, you see his reflection in the circular mirrors above the bed, and it's definately not a pregnant sixteen-year-old girl!

Watching "A Leap for Lisa," I think I can pinpoint the moment Ziggy turns from "he" to "she." Up until that episode, they still refer to Ziggy as "he," even though the voice in "The Leap Back" is feminine. In "ALFL," when Sam is figuring out that he changed history, and not in a good way, by nixing Al's alibi, he says, "What does he say?" Later, after Al is back, one or the other of them refers to Ziggy as "she."

The closed captioning on the 4th season DVDs is, I have to say, really accurate for what the actors do say, even if it's a flub.

Not to be confused with Flubber.... <g> (Watching the Absent Minded Professor right now)

bluedana said:
Watching "A Leap for Lisa," I think I can pinpoint the moment Ziggy turns from "he" to "she." Up until that episode, they still refer to Ziggy as "he," even though the voice in "The Leap Back" is feminine. In "ALFL," when Sam is figuring out that he changed history, and not in a good way, by nixing Al's alibi, he says, "What does he say?" Later, after Al is back, one or the other of them refers to Ziggy as "she."

The closed captioning on the 4th season DVDs is, I have to say, really accurate for what the actors do say, even if it's a flub.

I go by Don Bellisario's quick explanation on Ziggy and the "he/she" issue. Ziggy was built with a female voice, but after Sam had leaped, he of course received amnesia, therefore not remembering Ziggy or even Al. Once he did remember Ziggy, he began referring to her as a "he." Al, not being allowed to give away any information that Sam didn't already know, simply just went along with it until "The Leap Back." After "The Leap Back," Sam once again received amnesia and forgot he even returned home in the first place. And again, Al went along with it.

Could it be that when Al disappeared after he was "killed in the gas chamber" and then came back, it could have affected Ziggy? Whose to say a small change in history couldn't have affected the "gender" of their hybrid computer? Think of the ripple effect.

naggindragon said:
Could it be that when Al disappeared after he was "killed in the gas chamber" and then came back, it could have affected Ziggy? Whose to say a small change in history couldn't have affected the "gender" of their hybrid computer? Think of the ripple effect.

Anything's possible when a ripple like that occurs, only the issue of Ziggy's gender existed before any of the changes in "A Leap For Lisa" occurred. Even after "The Leap Back" when we all knew Ziggy had a female voice, she was still referred to as a "he."

Flub?

Oh, dear. Have I dated myself? What I meant was "verbal mistake."

I guess I had assumed all this time that after Ziggy's reveal in "The Leap Back," they just started calling her/him a she, because of the voice (and her obvious flirting - "Come on, Ziggy, give me what I want, baby." "Ooooooh, if you weren't my father . . ."). But that doesn't happen until after Al gets back in "ALFL." I just thought that was kind of interesting, and I haven't reviewed the 5th season yet to confirm that they never refer to Ziggy as a he again, although I think that is the case.

Okay, I have officially stepped over the line into QL geekdom.

Last edited:
How about this: Chubby Checker as seen in QL is 30 years older than when he would've had a demo.

Also, and I'll have to ask an expert on this, "The Twist" came out in 1960. I don't think a Chubby Checker demo of the song existed in 1959.

Related, "Peggy Sue" was originally written as "Cindy Lou" and the Crickets' drummer, Jerry Allison, suggested the name be changed in honor of his girlfriend Peggy Sue Gerron.

Having known this history for years (family very big Buddy Holly fans) the "Piggy Sue" bit has always grated my nerves.

torgo said:
How about this: Chubby Checker as seen in QL is 30 years older than when he would've had a demo.

Also, and I'll have to ask an expert on this, "The Twist" came out in 1960. I don't think a Chubby Checker demo of the song existed in 1959.

You would think that with having Chubby Checker in the episode that he'd have provided the show with his own accurate history.

From my expert/friend with a lot more detail:

Well.. the first thing to know is that Chubby Checker's version of
The Twist was a cover of the original by Hank Ballard, who released
it in 1959. Hank (who had written and sung such racy ditties as
"Work With Me Annie") was a bit too real for Dick Clark, and so it was
in 1960 that Clark had Ernest Evans (a south Philly chicken plucker,
who Dick's first wife named Chubby Checker, as a play on Fats Domino)
record it note for note. Chubby, more high yellow, and clean cut in
his white sweaters looked better on TV.

Chubby's version was number one in 1960 and again in 1962-- one of
the few records (if not the only) to ever do that on the Billboard
charts. But Hank got the best deal-- while Cameo Parkway was
notoriously bad at paying any royalties-- Hank Ballard had the
writing credit-- and that, as you know, is absolute.

Years later Hank told me that Dick tried to make it up to him by
putting him on American Bandstand when he had "Finger Popping Time"--
so between that and the writing royalties, he was a happy camper.
Sadly he died a while back.

i don't know if this one was mentioned yet but i am watching Dreams right now and i noticed that towards the beginning Al is giving Sam some information on Jack Stone at his request and he mentions that his mother died when he was ten. later the psychologist has him at the Decarlo house in front of the door where the woman was found and hes making him relive the dream and Jacks trama agian. at one point he asks Sam or rather Jack becasue he's taking over at this point, how old he was and Sam answers "nine, i'm nine years old"

hehe, oops. ;)

Al's Cigars

Al's Handlink said:
2. But as far as the commity not appearing to Sam they dragged Al out of the IC, they were grabbing his arms, which were covered by the cloth of Al's cloths. Maybe, he has to touch the person or thing with his skin. After all, Sam could always see Al's cigars and the handlink

Has anyone noticed that when Al is smoking his cigars, you can still see the smoke, even though it is not physically touching him? :x

My theory is that there is a kind of field of projection around Al as a nuerological hologram so you can see anything he touches back in the imaging chamber or anything in his immediate vicinity.

Also, in the episode 'Shock Theater', Al does touch Dr. Beeks(?) with his bare hand, so I think that Sam can only see what Al is physically touching.

Ql Geekdom!!!

bluedana said:
Okay, I have officially stepped over the line into QL geekdom.

Don't worry, happened a loooonnnnggg time ago for me. Now I just have to go and step into the accellorator and vanish...... and appear back in time to change history for the better by ironing out all of these mistakes in Quantum Leap...... Yay.:lol :lol :lol

i am watching Dreams right now and i noticed that towards the beginning Al is giving Sam some information on Jack Stone at his request and he mentions that his mother died when he was ten. later the psychologist has him at the Decarlo house in front of the door where the woman was found and hes making him relive the dream and Jacks trama agian. at one point he asks Sam or rather Jack becasue he's taking over at this point, how old he was and Sam answers "nine, i'm nine years old"
Here's my fan-wank on that. Al is looking at the year of Jack's birth.
I had this exact conversation this morning with my son.
Son (looking at summer camp application): So I was born in 1996?
Me: Yeah.
Son: So I'm ten.
Me: You're nine.
Son: But it's 2006.
Me: It's not October yet.
(argument ensues. I give up.)