A Leap on Jump Street Chapter 6

SammieJoBeckett

Project QL Intern
May 17, 2006
Quantum Leap: A Leap on Jump Street Series
A Leap for Judy and Tom
By Heather Samantha Beckett

Disclaimer: I do not own the concept of Quantum Leap or 21 Jump Street or their characters, those solely belong to Don Belisario (Quantum Leap) and Stephen J Cannell and Patrick Hasburgh (21 Jump Street)​
Chapter 6: Bitter Memories

Neither Judy nor Bailey heard the swoosh of a door opening or the electronic beeps that followed. Al had appeared in Judy?s living room to monitor Bailey?s actions. It seemed like hours had gone by and Bailey didn?t do so much as raise a hand to Judy even when they argued about what TV show they should watch. Then again Judy was quick to let Bailey have his way. Al sensed that Judy knew when to back down because she feared for her safety. Most of the night Bailey and Judy just sat on different sofas watching the TV. Actually Bailey was watching it. Judy had fallen asleep. Al was getting wrestles so far there wasn?t anything happening to suggest that Judy would be in danger so he had nothing to report to Sam.
Al was about to call it a night and head back to the imaging chamber when Judy woke up and grabbed a handful of dirty clothes that were strewn all over the living room floor.
?Damn pig,? Al heard Judy mutter under her breath, apparently a little to loudly because Bailey looked up giving her a dirty look and said, ?What did you just say??
?Oh nothing,? Judy said quickly retreating to the laundry room. She was cleaning out one of Bailey?s pair of jeans when she discovered a folded up piece of paper. She curiously unfolded it and read what was written on it. Al who had followed Judy in to the laundry room and had walked through her so he could read what was on the piece of paper that she had found in Bailey?s jeans pocket.
The paper read: Date with Michelle Friday Mar 1.
?That dirty dog! He was supposed to be with me Friday night for our anniversary. Had the flu my ***,? Al heard Judy yell out loud..
?Uh oh,? Al said to himself. He knew Judy had found something she wasn?t supposed to and from the looks of it she was raging with fury.
Maybe I better stick around after all, AL thought to himself.
Al watched Judy storm into the living room.
?What the hell is this?? Judy yelled at Bailey.
Bailey gave Judy an innocent look. ?What the hell is what??
?This,? Judy said thrusting the paper she had found at Bailey?s chest. ?Who the hell is Michelle? It says you had a date with her Friday but that isn?t possible because you had the flu. You broke our anniversary date to be with another woman?? Judy gave Bailey the dirtiest look she could.
?You Nozzle,? Al said giving Bailey the finger.
Bailey bolted out of his seat and walked towards Judy. She started backing up. ?Judy Judy Judy. I?m hurt that you don?t trust me by now. I told you I had the flu so I made a date with Michelle.?
Both Al and Judy stared at Bailey like he was out of his mind. Bailey could read their minds. ?Phifer, Michelle Phifer Judy. Don?t sound so jealous. There?s no way I?d break our anniversary date for another woman. You know me better than that.?
?Do I now??
Judy don?t get an attitude with me. I decided to have A Phifer marathon since I had to stay home all weekend.?
Al rolled his eyes. ?Oh paleeze.? He turned to look at Judy. ?You are not seriously going to believe this nozzle are you??
?Bailey I?m a cop not a fool.?
?Atta girl,? said Al proudly.
?Now please I want you to get your sorry but out of my house,? Judy demanded.
?I?m afraid I can?t do that. You see Judy you are my girl and I am the one who calls the shots and right now I?m saying you are being a real ***** and you need some discipline.? Bailey backed Judy against a wall. He punched Judy in the face and started hitting her anywhere he could.
?Gushie,? screamed Al, ?center me on Sam.?
Sam was pacing back and fourth in Tom?s living room when Al suddenly appeared out of breath. ?SAM! SAM! You gotta get there quick, that nozzle is beating her to a pulp. GO SAM GO BEFORE SHE GETS SERIOUSLY INJURED BY THAT FREAK!?
Sam ran out of the door as quick as lightning.
?How do I get there Al?? Sam said anxiously.
?Just run down to the end of the block she?s on the right corner a small 1 story white house. You can?t miss it.?
?Which way Al right or left??
?OH sorry Sam, left.?
?Al you get back to Judy?s I?ll meet you there.? Sam said running down the street as fast as Tom?s legs could carry him.
?Gushie center me on Judy,? Al instructed. A second later he disappeared.
Before he knew it Sam arrived at Judy?s house. He walked up the front walkway which lead to the front door and he didn?t even knock, he opened the front door and quietly entered. Sam couldn?t believe that the door was open. As he walked in the house he saw Al motioning him forward and he had his finger to his mouth instructing Sam to quietly sneak up on Bailey and catch him by surprise.
Al lead Sam to Judy?s living room. Bailey had not seen Sam but Judy and Sam made eye contact. Bailey had his hand around her neck choking her.
Sam felt a budge around his waist, he looked down to see Tom?s gun sitting in its holster . Sam had forgotten that he had Tom?s gun on him. Sam tiptoed up behind Bailey and tapped him on the shoulder
Bailey released Judy and quickly spun around to see who had tapped him on the shoulder. Before he knew it a fist connected with his face and he fell flat on his back . He quickly got up and faced his assailant .
?What the hell are you doing here?? Bailey said staring at Sam and wiping the blood from his split lip.
?I could ask you the same thing except by the looks of Judy over there I can guess,? Sam shot back.
?You think you?re smart don?t you Hanson?? Bailey raised a fist to strike Sam but stopped short as he was nose to nose with the gun Sam had stuck in Bailey?s face.
?Sam what are you doing?? AL asked worriedly.
Bailey started backing away from Sam.
?Tom what are doing put that down he?s unarmed,? Judy pleaded.
Sam?s hand shook with both fear and rage. A flood of unpleasant memories crowded Sam?s mind.
?Why Chuck why?? Sam screamed at Bailey.
Bailey looked at Sam completely clueless. Judy was also staring at Sam like he had gone crazy. ?Who the hell is Chuck?? Bailey asked.
?Why Chuck why did it have to be Katie? You didn?t deserve her. You made her life a living hell. First Katie now her?? Sam pointed his gun at Judy.
?Katie? I don?t know no Katie?s man you are a wack job.?
?You know exactly who I am talking about don?t pretend you don?t,? Sam said pointing Tom?s gun back at Bailey.
Bailey cowered. Al motioned for Sam to drop the gun. ?Sam this isn?t the way,? Al screamed. ?You will make things worse for Tom Sam. Think about what you are doing. Think about why you are really here.?
?But he hurt her Al I can?t just let him get away with it,? Sam cried. He could feel the tears well up in the corners of his eyes.
?Her yes,? Al pointed to Judy. ?Katie no. Put the gun down Sam and I promise rules or no rules I will tell you about Katie.?
While the confused Sam was debating what to do with Bailey, Bailey saw this as his opportunity to make a getaway. He picked up a vase from Judy?s coffee table and threw it at Sam who ducked real fast after getting a warning from Judy who yelled, ?Tom watch out!? The vase had gone right through Al. Bailey bolted to Judy?s kitchen and ran out the back door into the night.
For a moment Sam just stood there then he slowly came to his senses. He wiped the corners of his eyes and sat next to Judy on the couch. Her face was badly bruised but other than that she was ok. She was shaking badly and sobbing,, it took Sam everything he had to get her to sit still while she sobbed into his shoulder. He sat there for a long time holding her he didn?t know how much time had passed but eventually Judy had finished sobbing and relaxed, resting her head on Sam?s shoulder until she fell asleep. Sam propped her feet up on the other end of the couch. He found an afghan on the other couch and covered Judy with it. He watched her for a few minuets then he got up and walked over to Al.
?Al I don?t know what happened back there. It was like my mind was all of the sudden flooded with all of these painful unpleasant memories.?
?I?m so sorry Sam? Al said sympathetically. He hung his head. He hated seeing his best friend and college in so much pain but he felt even worse for not being able to tell Sam about his past. That was the number one rule of quantum leaping.
?Al,? Sam Cried, ?I almost killed that man and almost ruined Tom?s life. I called Bailey Chuck,? Sam said paced up and down Judy?s living room. Al could read the pain in his best friend?s eyes as he was concentrating real hard to remember a part of his past.
?I just can?t remember. I, I, I can?t remember who Chuck is and why I think he hurt someone named Katie.? Sam sat himself down in Judy?s lazy boy and buried his face in his hands.
?Sam I know I?m not supposed to do this but I told you I would tell you about Chuck and Katie.?
Sam looked up at Al the tears streaming down his face. ?It?s ok Al I know now.?
Al gave Sam his most sympathetic understanding look, ?I?m so sorry Sam.?
?It?s ok Al it?s not your fault that my baby sister ended marrying that loser and spends her life in an abusive relationship having one ? ?accident? ? after another. What hurts most is that I had a chance to change her future and I couldn?t do it. I got a chance to save my brother Tom from getting killed in Vietnam but why couldn?t I save Katie?s future??
?I wish I could answer that Sam.?
?It?s ok Al you have been the best friend any guy could ask for. Thanks for being there for me.?
?That?s what friends are for Sam. Plus you have been there for me plenty .?
Sam thought back to when he had leapt into himself as a senior in high school an had to help his high school basketball team make it to the state finals. He had seen this as an opportunity to save his family from their terrible fates. He thought he could save his father from dying when Sam was 20 from lung cancer by trying to get his father to quit smoking and lessen his cholesterol intake, but it didn?t work, and despite his best efforts Katie still ended marrying Chuck. He has told them he was from the future but they all thought he was crazy and making things up because he was nervous about the big game, his brother going back to Vietnam, and the pressure of every college in the Us wanting him Al advised Sam to play along with this family that he had made up being from the future because it wasn?t accomplishing anything and he was making their present miserable. Sam did everything he could to at least be able to save his brother Tom.
Originally Tom had died in Vietnam on April 8 1970. When Sam leapt into himself it was Thanksgiving 1969 and Tom had come home in between tours. Sam made an agreement with Tom that if he won their school the big game to make it to the state finals that on April 8 Tom would find the biggest trench he could and hide in it for 24 hours. Sam ended up winning the game and as he was about to leap Al reviled to him that history still had not changed and that Tom was still killed in Vietnam.
After leaping into himself Sam leapt into a solider in the same unit as his brother Tom in Vietnam. He might not have been able to save Tom in his last leap but this time he was able to save his brother from being killed. To this day Sam couldn?t figure out why he was able to save his brother from his terrible and not the rest of his family and he still carried a lot of pain his heart.
?Well thanks Al for helping me remember,? said Sam. ?I just need to remember my family even if it does bring back painful memories. That?s better than having no memories at all. If I can remember the painful ones I am able to remember the joyful ones too.?
?Sam you really are a remarkable man,? said Al looking at Judy?s clock on the wall. ?Oh gee Sam it?s 2 Am you should stay here and sleep on that couch over there and make sure you are here just in case that maniac tries to comeback. If Ziggy finds anything out I will come here and wake you up.?
?Thanks Al I owe you one,? said Sam lying down on Judy?s other sofa.
?I think you owe me more than one Sam,? Said Al smiling, ?but I know I owe you lots too.?