Music replacement issues on the DVD's

Cyberhome makes a region free DVD player you can buy at Best Buy or other electronics retailers. It's only about $40

Well, I'm sure it just seemed to be a waste at the time, before it was known that QL was going to be butchered. I'd've bought bootlegs, too, if I'd had the money.

McDuck said:
Cyberhome makes a region free DVD player you can buy at Best Buy or other electronics retailers. It's only about $40

Really? Thats awesome! I was gonna get one thru Wal Mart (I know Cyd, lol) that was 60 bucks...go Best Buy!

Samantha Beckett

DivadSB said:
I wrote emails to Universal Studios Home Video for Quantum Leap The Complete Fourth Season on DVD will have all original music, because I think that this season has important music like the song "I want to know what love is" by Foreigner in the episode "Temptation Eyes".

I think that if all fans of Quantum Leap write emails to Universal for that they put all original music,put extras like interviews,behind scenes,bloopers on DVD maybe they do it.:hurray:

E-Mails won't make a difference. If you really want to make an impression get organized and use snail-mail. Write letters instead of e-mails. I was part of the "Save Farscape" campaign and people there found out very quickly that e-mails don't change a thing. A huge pile of letters and faxes is a lot more impressive than e-mails which can easily be deleted.

I just saw Temptation Eyes for the first time in about a year, and I forgot how WONDERFUL "I Want to Know What Love Is" was in the sequence. I now wholeheartedly agree, if they take that out...there will be hell to pay, lol.

Samantha Beckett

I read from a reviewer on Amazon.co.uk that even the R2 release of season 3 has music replacement issues, namely in the episode "Runaway".

Is that true or not?

I read from a reviewer on Amazon.co.uk that even the R2 release of season 3 has music replacement issues, namely in the episode "Runaway".
Is that true or not?
I hadn't thought so, but if there was a more specific list of the songs that had been removed I could check. I have the Region 4 version, but I understand that they're pretty much the same. Season 2 seems to be intact so I wouldn't have thought they'd do anything differently with season 3.

How to handle music changes

I know that this debate has run and run, and been done to death, but I thought some of you might like to compare how Fox handled the music changes on "Roswell".
I got all three box sets for mother's day (in England it was Mothering Sunday today, 26th March), and inside the first is this letter from the exec producer....

Quote:
TO THE FANS OF ROSWELL

As you watch these episodes you will notice that many of the original songs have been replaced with alternative choices. If you're like me, your first reaction might be outrage.
I often fight the assumption that change is good. But, in this case, I was faced with a difficult decision, which was that for budgeting reasons we either had to replace a lot of songs (the license fees are very expensive) or not release the DVD. Spurred on by the belief that the fans of the show would choose to have the DVD released, I set out to make the best possible {my italics} version of the DVD with the resources we had.

As often happens in creative pursuits, what started out as a roadblock turned into an opportunity. After all, one of the seminal notions behind the music in Roswell was to seek out new music, music about to break. In the spirit of that, I assembled the original Roswell sound team, including Post Producer Tracey D'Arcy, Music Supervisors Kevin Edelman and Alex Patsavas, and Music Editors Marty Wereski and Scott Pettigrew.
What we discovered was a lot of great, exciting, new music and many, many nice surprises. We found that many of the new songs work as well, if not better, than the originals and, at least for me, introduced me to a whole new crop of musicians on the verge of breaking. Of course, there is a lot we didn't replace - All of Joseph Williams' original score remains intact as well as certain songs we felt we couldn't replace under any circumstances. Dido still sings the main theme (which is still reprised in the final episode), Sarah McLachlan still plays when Max heals Liz and Dave Matthews still serenades us out of the pilot episode. And now, with very few exceptions, I am more excited to watch these versions of the episodes than the originals. So I suppose that I have to grudgingly admit that, in fact, change is good. At least it can be. I hope you agree.

Jason Katims
Executive Producer
Roswell

End quote

To me, this approach is far more respectful to the fans than what Universal did to its USA market.
What do you think?

I agree. Anything would have been better than 1) trying to hope we wouldn't notice or 2) substituting "muzack" garbage

Much, much more respectful than Universal's attempt (or lack thereof). Fox's DVDs completely blow away Universal's as it is. As we were all aware that Universal wasn't the only studio that was forced to substitute music on their DVDs, it was how they handled the situation that left us the most furious. I remember back when Season 2 was about to launch that the news first broke out here on the board. And since then, it's forced us all to take a deeper look into the situation to find out just what exactly was going on. In all fairness to Universal, they were, in a way, placed in a difficult situation. But they neglected to at least find suitable music replacements──even karaoke cover songs would have been more respectable than generic muzak!

And did they even consider adding bonus material when it was handed to them on a silver platter by Deborah Pratt? Nope. Since it appears that at the end of the day none of us can change this situation here in the states (aside from purchasing Region 2 versions), I can only hope that Universal's DVD reputation goes down the toilet. Maybe that's the only thing that can motivate them to put at least some decent effort in their DVDs. I mean, it's painfully obvious that they couldn't care less about their television series, but it seems to be the case that they couldn't care less what the people buying them think either. Would it have killed them to write a letter like that to tell us what's going on?

A Leap For Lisa

I skipped ahead after watching The Leap Back and Play Ball and I noticed that the song "Allegheny Moon" was replaced. It was in the scene where Sam is in his temporary bed of Al's quarters and before St. John comes in to tell him how the "interrogation" went. Arrrgghhhhh! I can live with that replacement but I know now that it does not look good for Temptation Eyes.

Oh and on a lighter note, the beginning of Play Ball, Don Bellisario's son, Michael took Sam's words out of his mouth.(i.e. "Oh boy!") It was a moment that reminded me of a JAG episode when the end freeze-framed on Michael Bellisario(Mikey Roberts, Bud's brother) and:
Executive Producer
Donald P. Bellisario​

Steve
RossBeckett