Failed Leaps

Al's Handlink

Project QL Intern
Mar 18, 2004
Bristol, Connecticut
In A Leap for Lisa, Sam told Al that leaping has nothing to do with success and Al knows that. I was thinking, because I don't remember a single leap where Sam did not succeed in his mission, except maybe one.

In The Leap Back part 2, Sam was supposed to make sure that the mission succeeded. When all was said and done, Sam didn't complete his mission. He and Al sacrifised the mission in order to save Tom. And he did not complete the mission objective which was to rescue the POW's which included Al. Therefore, although Sam saved his brothers life, he also sacrifised Maggie's and didn'tcomplete the mission.

This was possibly his first successful failure and why Sam said that success has nothing to do with leaping

That was one episode I always wanted to see them do, an episode where Sam fails a leap and gets stuck, perhaps for a few episodes! And back at PQL, Al and the rest of the team have to perform some high tech jiggery pokery in order for Sam to leap again.

ChickenStu said:
That was one episode I always wanted to see them do, an episode where Sam fails a leap and gets stuck, perhaps for a few episodes! And back at PQL, Al and the rest of the team have to perform some high tech jiggery pokery in order for Sam to leap again.

now THAT idea of yours i like, chickenstu, and somehow they would make it so Sam would leap back to the beginning at the end so he can do it over the right way. cuz hes still gatta save the innocent he leaped there for.

Remember in Mirror Image, Stawpah hinted that the coal miner accident had happened before and that STawpah was in the middle of a do-over when Sam showed up... Maybe Sam could screw one up, start over, and maybe this time Connors (Rogue leaper from Virtual Series) shows up because of the "reset"

Al's Handlink said:
I really think that this idea has merit. You could seriously do a lot with it.

yeah, i don't mean to steal chickenstu's idea but it kinda makes me wanna do something with it. althought i still dont see how it's possible for Sam ro fail becasue he always ends up doing something to make things right in teh end.:)

Yeah, I could have fun writing it too. And SBF, There is a first for everything. In TVS, there have been plenty of leaps where everything is not put right. I mean, History does change for the better, but there are some things that have been nagging at Sam lately. Who's to say that there can't be a lea with catostrophic failures.

Sam's will would pull him back to the begining of the leap to try again. He could do things somewhat differently and still not get the desired result, then, who knows, maybe the third times the charm.

ChickenStu said:

"Jiggery pokery! Hocus pocus, squiggly wiggly!" Haha, sorry. I couldn't help but quote that Harry Potter line.

Back on topic, I like that idea a lot as well! Since you have had an interest in screenwriting and screenplay, you should totally write a TVS episode. I'm writing one now, so maybe ours will air next season!

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
I'm still lost....what was this ep?

Samantha Beckett

Hilla was an eighteen year old german girl who was dead when Sam leaped in and his job was to prove that her death was murder and not suicide.

SamBeckettfann said:
Hilla was an eighteen year old german girl who was dead when Sam leaped in and his job was to prove that her death was murder and not suicide.

Oh yeah, now I remember! Thanks. But, Sam was successful, wasn't he? I mean, he did prove that it was murder and not suicide and he figured our who did it so the killer didnt walk free. There was nothing Sam could have done to save Hilla herself, she died before he leaped in.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
Oh yeah, now I remember! Thanks. But, Sam was successful, wasn't he? I mean, he did prove that it was murder and not suicide and he figured our who did it so the killer didnt walk free. There was nothing Sam could have done to save Hilla herself, she died before he leaped in.

Samantha Beckett

exactly, but Sam is such a big hearted guy, he was probably sad that he couldn't have leaped in sooner and saved her, another example of this is in leap of faith, when he informs Al in a disappoined tone that if he was there to save Sonny, he was too late.

Al's Handlink said:
I don't think that Sam thought he failed so much as he thought that he didn't do Hilla any good.

Well, basically that comes down to the same thing in the end. Remember that Sam tries very hard to revive her in some way through her diary and the film.

It is one of the few leaps in which Sam leaps out with a very sad expression on his face (different from "Thou shalt not" for example, which is also a funeral ending).

Grimlock said:
Well, basically that comes down to the same thing in the end. Remember that Sam tries very hard to revive her in some way through her diary and the film.

It is one of the few leaps in which Sam leaps out with a very sad expression on his face (different from "Thou shalt not" for example, which is also a funeral ending).

but how would he think he's be able to revive her from her diaries and films, i thought that was just to get clue on who might have a motive to kill her, and prove that she had no motive to kill herself?

SamBeckettfann said:
but how would he think he's be able to revive her from her diaries and films, i thought that was just to get clue on who might have a motive to kill her, and prove that she had no motive to kill herself?

Well, not reviving her in that way, obviously. Yes, in part he did all that to find clues to her untimely death, but as Al points out at one stage Sam becomes heavily obsessed with her (remember the shots of Hilla with the eerie music underneath?).

Grimlock said:
Well, not reviving her in that way, obviously. Yes, in part he did all that to find clues to her untimely death, but as Al points out at one stage Sam becomes heavily obsessed with her (remember the shots of Hilla with the eerie music underneath?).

yes i do remember that and i also remember how he was gazing at her image on the screen as she was doing all these cute little gestures, and realizing how beautiful she was.