Returning Lurker

Liggie

Project QL Intern
Apr 16, 2006
Pacific Northwest USA
Hello. I had made a few posts early in 2005, but my user ID and some of those posts were destroyed when the previous host got hacked. I finally got around to re-establishing a user ID today.

My name is Michael ("Mike" is fine), I live in a suburb of Seattle, Washington. I discovered "Quantum Leap" during Season Two, when I was in college. I was flipping around the channels one night after studying, and came into the middle of "Another Mother". As I missed the episode's saga cell, I spent several minutes wondering, why is that actor wearing earrings and a skirt, and why is everyone calling him "Mom"? Then as the episode progressed, it dawned on me that this was that new show I'd read about, where some guy time-travels into other people's bodies. I settled in to enjoy the episode, and when the show ended with Sam leaping into another situation, I became hooked.

To be honest, even though I'm a big fan of "Quantum Leap", I've only seen about 40 percent of the episodes. I was in college and then getting my first jobs at the time of the NBC run, so studying and adjusting to the rat race sometimes got priority over the show. I'm also a sports fan, so sometimes I'd opt for the game over QL, knowing that I could catch the episode later or in reruns; to borrow from the late novelist Mordecai Richler, you know what's going to happen in the "Disco Inferno" episode, but you don't know what's going to happen in tonight's Orioles - White Sox game. So each purchase of the QL DVDs is like opening a treasure chest. Some episodes are like visiting old friends, others I get the joy of a first-time experience. (As far as the music replacement issue goes, well, it is what it is, and I'm not going to beat a dead horse.)

I admit that I'm not into science fiction much. Of course, I enjoy the original "Star Trek" and the first "Star Wars" trilogy, but as a whole the genre doesn't really float my boat. What drew me to "Quantum Leap" was how, deep down, the series was about people and their issues. I appreciated the sci-fi premise of Quantum Leaping, but I also appreciated how in each episode that faded into the background and the plot involved the human situation that Sam had to affect.

My main interest here is discussing the proposed ABLF pilot and spinoff, featuring Sammy Jo as a leaper. I have several ideas of how I would handle that potential series, and I'd love to discuss them with you.

Non-QL interests? TV-wise, I'm all over the place. I enjoy all sorts of fictional programming, from BBC sitcoms ("Coupling"!) to well-crafted dramas, and, frustratingly enough, shows cancelled way too soon ("Wondefalls", "Keen Eddie", "The Book Of Daniel"). I also enjoy a lot of non-fictional programming, like the Travel Channel, Food Network and even game shows (I've gotten hooked on "Deal Or No Deal"). "Reality" TV wore me out around the time of the Seattle "Real World" shows, and the only one I watch now is "Dancing With The Stars".

When I'm not watching TV? I love travel, and have been to Europe and the Philippines as well as much of this country. I'm also an amateur "foodie"; if I ever win the lottery, I'm not buying a hundred Ferraris, I'm going to a fancy restaurant twice a week. I'm also trying to get back into yoga and some creative writing (yes, I'm a frustrated creative type). Quirky fact? I used to play curling, that broom-and-stones sport you see in the Winter Olympics.

I won't be a frequent poster, real life has gotten in the way for a while, but I will pop in from time to time, and more frequently if ABLF gets off the ground. Good to meet you all!

-- Mike