From Answers in Chat Today, Not Looking Good

asearcher

Project QL Intern
Jul 1, 2005
According to the online chat with Scott Bakula today at Washington Post site, Scott has not even been contacted by anyone concerning either a new show or movie. He reiterated that both he and Dean and interested to doing the roles again. Scott said this was the favorite role of all he's done in TV.

Read the entire chat transcript in the Off Topic area.

- Albert Einstein

Last edited by a moderator:
alsplacebartender said:
Actually, I don't think they scrapped it. They're just not using it. Don put the project on hold and no one knows why, not even Callaway.

Looking at it from the optimistic point of view, Don put it on hold, but he never said he'd never be interested in doing it. Perhaps Scott was never contacted because the original plan was to never have him play a big part. Now that the project is on hold, maybe no one wants to go contacting Scott and Dean about something that's not definite. I'd imagine it would sound pretty awkward to call up either of them and be like, "Hi Scott. We're looking to revive Quantum Leap. Are you gonna be available for the next few years?"

tina_als_girl said:
Maybe Don had some issues with the continuity... :D

Joy

Not according to Trey. :) Here is a direct quote from Trey Callaway:

Indeed, my biggest goal in writing it (the script) was to preserve the humor and the heart of the original series - while trying to kick things up a notch for a two hour relaunch. I'm still proud of it - and I know Sci Fi was very happy with the script. In fact, they were telling me to clear my calendar for an Australian shoot within a few days of delivering it. But Mr. Bellisario - who told me himself how pleased he was after reading it - then unexpectedly put a lid on any further development of the project shortly thereafter. Honestly, I still have profound respect for the man - and frankly, would've kissed his ring over Magnum P.I. alone, not to mention Quantum Leap - but candidly, I'm still a bit confused by the whole thing. Of course, Hollywood is legendary for its confusion.

As for the younger Samantha of it all - I guess I don't have much to lose by sharing a bit more with you. Don, the network, and the studio were all three in agreement that Sammy's character needed to be in her early twenties, at the oldest. So while it's true the original Trilogy timeline was fudged with - it's also true that time travel (especially in the Quantum Leap universe) is not without its unforeseen wrinkles. And the conventional wisdom of our entire creative team at the time was that in order to excite new fans but also appease the "old" ones-- we would be unveiling additional surprises about Sammy Jo and her actual back story a bit later.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that... :eek:

But, still... it's been a while since then, so maybe we'll get lucky and Sci-Fi will have learned from its three top original shows (BSG & the two Stargates) that they DON'T need extremely young leads to have a successful show.

Joy

Exactly! To tell you the truth, I like the older more wiser characters. They are more debonair and make things even more interesting. You don't need young and hot to trot -- even though they are mighty fine to look at, with their bulky arms and flat six-packs.

HOWEVER, the following men can be just as hot and as sexy as the rest of them and you know... there are times when I'd rather see them in action than anyone else: Patrick Stewart, Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, Patrick Swayze, John Travolta, David James Elliot, Nicholas Cage, Matthew McConaughey, and let's not forget the ones that we are here to mention, Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell.

Who's with me on that?

MJ

QL Damsel said:
Exactly! To tell you the truth, I like the older more wiser characters. They are more debonair and make things even more interesting. You don't need young and hot to trot -- even though they are mighty fine to look at, with their bulky arms and flat six-packs.

HOWEVER, the following men can be just as hot and as sexy as the rest of them and you know... there are times when I'd rather see them in action than anyone else: Patrick Stewart, Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, Patrick Swayze, John Travolta, David James Elliot, Nicholas Cage, Matthew McConaughey, and let's not forget the ones that we are here to mention, Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell.

Who's with me on that?

MJ

I agree. Except for the whole sexy part. :lol The thing is, I have much more respect for veteran actors than I do for the young "hot" ones (most of the time──there are of course some that are good at what they do). In my opinion, a lot come from a "style over substance" culture, where today's standards in quality aren't what they once were. The older veteran actors are people whose careers have spanned decades in some cases, during which time have proven themselves to be the real deal. Unfortunately for the new up-and-comers, I don't think movies are what they used to be (especially with every other movie being some kind of remake), and I think it makes it harder for younger actors to establish themselves in real iconic roles like Indiana Jones or James Bond. It's not that they can't; it's just that I think it's harder to find roles that haven't been done already. It used to be that people would go to a movie and say, "Did you think it was good?" Now, it's, "Did you see the original?" OK, I've rambled enough... :lol