Mirror Image questions

Samantha Beckett

Project QL Intern
Oct 31, 2005
Vestavia, Alabama
:cry Mirror Image was on Sci-fi last night, and I saw it for the first time. And as I knew I would, I cried. Not just like the whimpering and a few tears. I found myself actually sobbing, which kinda freaked me out, lol. I wanted Sam to come home. He was so desperately wanting to go home, and he never got the chance. It just makes me sad...but having someone putting right what once went wrong in the world does give a little bit of hope.

I have a few questions about it though. The whole other people leaping deal. if Stawpaw was dead, and leaping, and Al refers to his uncle Stawpaw in the present tense, what's really the deal with that? Was everybody in Al's Place Leaping? How was it that Sam was able to see someone else in the mirror when he looked at the person next to him? Plus, if Sam couldn't go home because he hadn't accepted that he could control where he leaps and such...how come he didn't after he leapt to tell Beth to wait for Al. I mean, Sam chose to leap to help Al, so why couldn't he leap home? I'm just confused, and sad is all.

Samantha Beckett

Dear Sam;
If you haven't already done so, take a gander at the photos of Cokeburg and Marianna that are here. I live about 30 miles from there.
I believe that the situation in Cokeburg was dire enough that since Stawpaw had tried to change events once before and had failed, Al brought in "reinforcements" in Sam. There are what are known as "temporal junction points" in time where events must go in a certain direction for things to work out OK, for lack of a better description. So, JFK had to die. In this case, for some reason the two trapped miners had to be rescued. My belief was that since Stawpaw was the sole survivor (there WAS one survivor of the Marianna mine explosion, but his name wasn't Steve, in fact, there was no one named Steve listed as working there) he was so bound up with guilt that he was unable to "cross over" until he righted what he perceived as his "wrong".
Al just happened to have had a Russian uncle...pure coincidence.
In the end, it was Sam's ulterior motive behind the entire QL project which was exposed. The intent of the project was to merely be able to observe history as it happened (imagine being to positively determine if anyone else fired shots at JFK) not change history. Al "exposed" Sam's true motive, "to put right that which once went wrong", and sent Sam charging through history.
Finding out that he had control of when he went home was kind of a "Wizard of Oz" ending, except he chose to stay in Oz, and help the wizard.

*light bulb shines* Oooooh...so at the end, Sam fully understood that he could go home anytime he wanted, but stayed to his project's mission. *lets that soak in* Are we supposed to infer that the connection between PQL and Sam was lost? That was never established, and fanifcs are rampant with that. Our watching Sam's leaps may be over, but are they still going on with Al being his observer?

BTW, spaceflight101...where are those pictures. I've done some searching around this site, but there is so much that you can't really find everything that's on here, hehe. :D

Samantha Beckett

I don't know that Sam was ever able to accept that he was leaping himself. He had a strong desire right a wrong for Al. And I was always under the impression that Sam thought that it was one or the other. Put right what once went wrong in Al's life, or return home.

In M.I.A., Sam had the oppertunity to stop Beth from remarrying and refused to do it because it would have been breaking the rules. He always felt guilty about that so when he was given the oppertunity to right that wrong, he jumped at the chance. Then when he leaped out, he would have become swiss-cheesed again and not remembered any of the conversation with the bartender.

As I am writing this, I am begining to understand what I think the episode was really about. As a reward for a job well done, The Bartender tried to answer Sam's questions and give him a choice.

He could leap home for good, or he could put a wrong right for Al. It was one or the other. Sure he explained to Sam that it was his own subconsious need to continue that was causing him to leap back and forth through time. But after the leap where he told Beth that Al was alive, he would have leaped out and been swiss-cheesed.

Now, maybe he would have been swiss-cheesed and forgotton all about the visit to Al's place. Or maybe, just maybe, he never fully accepted the fact that he was leaping himself. Don't forget that just moments before he leaped, he was talking to Al outside and he said to Al,

"Remember the first time I leaped, and we all felt that someone or something... Grabbed me?"
"Yeah."
"He's the... someone or something... that grabbed me."
"Who, the bartender?"
"Yeah , that bartender has been leaping me around. He wants me to believe that I'm the one leaping me. But I... I... I think it's him."

Then the bartender asked,

"Where would you like to go Sam?"
"Home... I'd like to go home. But I can't... can I? I've got a wrong to put right for Al. You knew that didn't you?"
"God Bless Sam"

Then he leaped. The way I see it, Sam never is able to accept that he is leaping himself. He would just think that the bartender had sent himto Beth.

As for the mirror refections. Maybe it was to try to get Sam to accept both realities. I don't know, maybe he was showing him that looks can be decieving.

Samantha_Beckett said:
:cry Mirror Image was on Sci-fi last night, and I saw it for the first time. And as I knew I would, I cried. Not just like the whimpering and a few tears. I found myself actually sobbing, which kinda freaked me out, lol. I wanted Sam to come home. He was so desperately wanting to go home, and he never got the chance. It just makes me sad...but having someone putting right what once went wrong in the world does give a little bit of hope.

I have a few questions about it though. The whole other people leaping deal. if Stawpaw was dead, and leaping, and Al refers to his uncle Stawpaw in the present tense, what's really the deal with that? Was everybody in Al's Place Leaping? How was it that Sam was able to see someone else in the mirror when he looked at the person next to him? Plus, if Sam couldn't go home because he hadn't accepted that he could control where he leaps and such...how come he didn't after he leapt to tell Beth to wait for Al. I mean, Sam chose to leap to help Al, so why couldn't he leap home? I'm just confused, and sad is all.

Samantha Beckett

hey Samantha, i totally agree with you, i was sobbing as well, the same way i had in the leap back when Donna cried to the stars "i love you Sam". i wanted to see Sam go home too, i hated to see him cry, it made me wanna give him a big hug and a kiss. the one thing i never understood was what was with all the familiar faces Sam met, i have seen the episode about maybe five times and i still do not understand what that was about, and what really was Al, was he some form of god?

I too was taken by the ending of Mirror Image. I have never seen it, My mom and I sat on the edge of our sets waiting for each moment. It was hard to see Sam give up going hope to save Al's marrige. I felt a bit of a lost when Sam was not going to be going home. But I do believe that Sam did the right thing. Julie Parks

I personally think of Al's Place as a rendezvous point for other leapers. These other leapers aren't necessarily part of top secret time-travel projects; I believe Sam only tapped into a technology that enabled himself to travel (whether he meant to or not) where others in different realms could go with ease. This would be why Gooshie's reflection was different and how Stawpah was a leaper even though he'd supposedly died twenty years earlier. The fact that he turned out to be Al's uncle was just another connection to Sam's experiences, just as the other "doubles" of people Sam had previously helped were.

I think these doubles were symbolic in the fact that the Bartender was using them to help convey his point that at the risk of Sam overinflating his ego, he'd "done more." Sometimes words aren't enough to convey points, which I think the Bartender was well aware of, because of Sam's intelligence and his analyitical nature. He did everything he could to convince the mind of a genius of something so very simple. That "something"? That "sometimes, 'that's the way it is' is the best explanation." Not everything can make logical sense, and Sam needed to accept that, which he was unable to. It's quite simply a case of actions speaking louder than words.

As I've said numerous times on the board (only repeating myself for the newer members), I believe Al's Place is supposed to be a mirror image of the real 1953. The reflection of Gooshie was a symbolization of the reality Sam was in and the theme of the episode. The other side of the mirror showed a very similar but different reality, just as the entire leap seemed to be normal, but in fact was very surreal. My take is that Al's Place is a parallel universe or an entirely different dimension. I don't believe that these doubles of previous leapees would exist in "our" universe (for example, Tonchi coexisting with Frank LaMotta, etc.).

As things stand, though, the distinct impression I got from Don Bellisario's episode was that he wrote all these surreal situations for the sake of making them surreal. I don't believe he has answers to these questions himself. I believe he intended these "answers" for Post-Creative Rationalization, only he never had the chance to do it. So, once word came that there would be no Season 6, Don was forced to dub a line here or there and change the ending.

The bottom line to this final epsiode is that these answers don't exist. Every fan's interpretation is equal to the possibilities of what Al's Place is and who or what the Bartender is. Is it Heaven? Is it a parallel universe? Another dimension? A dream altogether? The Bartender said himself, "There is something special about this place." No kidding. It could very well be any or all of these examples. Whatever the case, one thing's for certain: conventional rules of reality have no meaning there...

I personally think of Al's Place as a rendezvous point for other leapers. These other leapers aren't necessarily part of top secret time-travel projects; I believe Sam only tapped into a technology that enabled himself to travel (whether he meant to or not) where others in different realms could go with ease. This would be why Gooshie's reflection was different and how Stawpah was a leaper even though he'd supposedly died twenty years earlier. The fact that he turned out to be Al's uncle was just another connection to Sam's experiences, just as the other "doubles" of people Sam had previously helped were.

This was basically what I was trying to convey but I couldn't quite get my mind to that point where I could voice it.

I think these doubles were symbolic in the fact that the Bartender was using them to help convey his point that at the risk of Sam overinflating his ego, he'd "done more." Sometimes words aren't enough to convey points, which I think the Bartender was well aware of, because of Sam's intelligence and his analyitical nature. He did everything he could to convince the mind of a genius of something so very simple. That "something"? That "sometimes, 'that's the way it is' is the best explanation." Not everything can make logical sense, and Sam needed to accept that, which he was unable to. It's quite simply a case of actions speaking louder than words.

I agree completely.

I just watched the alternate ending for Mirror Image, and except for the stupid, corny "The End?" thing, I think they should have used that one. The family portrait would've increased the sobbing at the end, but it would be perfect. Then, after we get a good look at the picture thru watery eyes, they should black it out and say Sam never came home. That's my opinion. Time for bed...night all!

Samantha Beckett

You know, if there's one message I get from "Mirror Image," it's that it's Don's way of telling us to not take anything too seriously. It's like Don is speaking to all the nutty fans like me out there to just relax and accept things for what they are.

Robbie said:
Hi gang! quick question... Forgive me if this has been asked / answered before..

Who is in the photo in the end credits (the one in front of the plane)?

Thanks...
Samantha_Beckett said:
I assumed it was Al, but I found it hard to focus with tears in my eyes.

Samantha Beckett
The little boy in the actual picture is a young Donald Bellisario and the man holding him is his real-life father, whom the character of Alberto Bellisario (the Bartender) was modeled after. So, I assume that means that it's supposed to be "the Bartender" in the picture since it is actually Albert Bellisario. ;)

Damon

Dman176 said:
The little boy in the actual picture is a young Donald Bellisario and the man holding him is his real-life father, whom the character of Alberto Bellisario (the Bartender) was modeled after. So, I assume that means that it's supposed to be "the Bartender" in the picture since it is actually Albert Bellisario. ;)

Damon

Thanks a mil!:):):)

Samantha_Beckett said:
Wow, there is so much I don't know about this world, lol!

Samantha Beckett
Yeah, don't worry about it. I didn't know about any of this stuff either until I discovered this site 3 years ago...damn, has it been 3 years already? Where does all the time go? 8o

Dman176 said:
Yeah, don't worry about it. I didn't know about any of this stuff either until I discovered this site 3 years ago...damn, has it been 3 years already? Where does all the time go? 8o

I've been here a little over 2 months, and i feels like so much longer. Of all the forums/message boards/fandom sites ive been on (and there have been dozens) this one feels the most like "home" to me.

Samantha Beckett

I have often put a lot of thought into this. I think that in the end it was down to Sam accepting responsibility for his own life, and his desire to put right what once went wrong. I think this is why he continued leaping as deep down he didn't want to return home.

As Al (bartender) refers to Sam as Don Quixote in the episode, it leads me to believe that leaping is based on the impossible dream. While an impossible dream is unattainable, the Quest for that dream never ends unless the person undertaking the quest stops (or they die).

In the context of Quantum Leap, the impossible dream would be righting all the wrongs in the world (Sam's reason for creating Project Quantum Leap), the Quest is leaping from life to life. In the end it is the Quest or the journey that is important. If Sam accepts the responsibility of the quest, then he would never return home.

I hope all that makes sense :)

Don Quixote said:
I have often put a lot of thought into this. I think that in the end it was down to Sam accepting responsibility for his own life, and his desire to put right what once went wrong. I think this is why he continued leaping as deep down he didn't want to return home.

As Al (bartender) refers to Sam as Don Quixote in the episode, it leads me to believe that leaping is based on the impossible dream. While an impossible dream is unattainable, the Quest for that dream never ends unless the person undertaking the quest stops (or they die).

In the context of Quantum Leap, the impossible dream would be righting all the wrongs in the world (Sam's reason for creating Project Quantum Leap), the Quest is leaping from life to life. In the end it is the Quest or the journey that is important. If Sam accepts the responsibility of the quest, then he would never return home.

I hope all that makes sense :)

well i agree with you, but then why did he cry when he was saying he wanted to go home, if he really didn't want it that bad, and of he really didnt want it that bad then why throughout the series does he often mention his desire to be home agian?

SamBeckettfann said:
well i agree with you, but then why did he cry when he was saying he wanted to go home, if he really didn't want it that bad, and of he really didnt want it that bad then why throughout the series does he often mention his desire to be home agian?

I think because he knew he had a wrong to put right for Al. If he had a desire to return home then he would have as Al (bartender) said that Sam controls his leaping. However, Sam couldn't accept that.

From the pilot he really did want to return home. But when he called his dad in the baseball leap,

"Maybe this quantum leaping isn't such a bad deal after all, a second chance to put things right. Who know's what I can accomplish before I'm done?"

I think everything changed from there.

Don Quixote said:
I think because he knew he had a wrong to put right for Al. If he had a desire to return home then he would have as Al (bartender) said that Sam controls his leaping. However, Sam couldn't accept that.

From the pilot he really did want to return home. But when he called his dad in the baseball leap,

"Maybe this quantum leaping isn't such a bad deal after all, a second chance to put things right. Who know's what I can accomplish before I'm done?"

I think everything changed from there.

So couldn't he have just gone home after he saved Beth and Al, or was that another revelation about this leaping thing?

SamBeckettfann said:
So couldn't he have just gone home after he saved Beth and Al, or was that another revelation about this leaping thing?

Yeah by saving Beth and Al he accepted the life of leaping,

Sam: Home. I wanna go home. But I can't can I? I've a wrong to put right for Al. You knew that didn't you?

Al (bartender): God bless Sam...

He sacrificed the leap home to save his best friend.

Don Quixote said:
Yeah by saving Beth and Al he accepted the life of leaping,

Sam: Home. I wanna go home. But I can't can I? I've a wrong to put right for Al. You knew that didn't you?

Al (bartender): God bless Sam...

He sacrificed the leap home to save his best friend.

I think that's how it's conceived now, but the "wrong to put right for Al" was not the original line from the episode. It was "I've a wrong to put right first", they changed it when they were told they were being cancelled after that year. So it was originally:

Sam: Home. I wanna go home. But I can't, can I? I've a wrong to put right first. You knew that didn't you?"

Al (bartender): God bless, Sam...

It sounds like Sam is speaking aloud his train of thought. He's thinking "I want to go home", then the idea slowly dawns on him "But I can't, can I?" then he realizes what can be done "I've a wrong to put right first". He says "you knew that didnt, you?" because thats what Al had been telling him the whole episode. Sam keeps his affirmation to go home, believing that he controls his leaps, but decided to save Al and Beth's marriage before leaping home. Of course, this is all what possibly would've happened if they hadn't changed the line (i.e. been cancelled).

Samantha Beckett

Back Again into the Fray

Regarding the reference to Don Quixote in Mirror Image.

If this is truly taken literally, then Don Quixote was a delusional character. That is (in my opinion) why the Bartender keeps referring to Sam's mirror image as to who is leaping him. Sam has a picture of himself and it is his inability to change that view of himself that keeps him leaping. When the final screen was put up, that is the end from the franchise of the show. Until more QL is made, we must accept that as the final statement (although in Bellasario's statement's on the CD jacket, Sam is still out there leaping and putting right what once went wrong). Thus...at this point, "Dr. Sam Beckett Never Returns Home."

However, if more QL is filmed (movie or TV show), this could completely change. Think of the Bobby Ewing stuff of Dallas...the new show could put this on. Never (in TV) doesn't always mean never.

Also...everything we come up with as to WHY Dr. Sam Beckett never returns home is pure conjecture. Is it that he is staying true to the Quest? Is it that he simply hasn't accepted that he is in control of his leaps? Is it that he hasn't changed his view of himself? Is it that he's "died" and is now one of the Bartender's "dead leapers" (like Stawpah)? Is it that from the project's view, Sam never returned home because the home he returned to was in an alternative universe that the project doesn't know about? Arguments could be made for any and all of these (and other's to boot). Which is right is a matter of your personal preferences. Until Bellasario provides the answer, that's where we all are.

Back to the Don Quixote...Read the original Cervantes (or in translation) and you get a different picture of Don Quixote than what is generally presented in "Man of La Mancha." Keep in mind that I LOVE La Mancha. The Quest is a not only one of my favorite songs but is also a personal mantra for me. However...I also have been reading Cervantes masterpiece and it was a real eye opener. Yes, Quixote has taken on the role of Knight Errant BUT he had done so because he has read so many stories about "chivalry and romance" that he truly can't tell the difference between real and imagined reality. While La Mancha paints this picture too...it is not nearly as disturbing...more like someone who is just a little wacked but harmless. Not so in the original Cervantes. Don Quixote is fully out of his mind. So...again...the question in relationship to Mirror Image is...

Which image of Don Quixote is the Bartender referring to?

If they hadn't changed the line in the first place, what could have happened, which would have given us closure and made a lot more sense, would have been after it talks about Beth never remarrying and having 4 daughters, what could have been written was something like...

"Dr Sam Beckett, realising he was in control of his own destiny, leapt home, and they all lived happily ever after." Or even had footage of Sam leaping home and seeing Al and Beth together and happy and Sam saying something like "There's no place like home".

That gives us a happy ending in a sort of "Wizard of Oz" motif. I think we all could have accepted an ending like that.

I think that the reason they didn't do that was to leave the door open to return to the series some day. And if they had done the quitisential happy ending, do you think it would have the cult following this long after it was canceled. I think a lot of us fans would have found closure in an ending like that, and maybe closed the door on QL.

Al's Handlink said:
I think that the reason they didn't do that was to leave the door open to return to the series some day. And if they had done the quitisential happy ending, do you think it would have the cult following this long after it was canceled. I think a lot of us fans would have found closure in an ending like that, and maybe closed the door on QL.

That's my stand on it too. It was pure genius to end the show that way in my opinion.

Al's Handlink said:

Yeah....I know :\. You're totally right, if the show had ended with closure the fanbase would be no where near as big as it is now. But, you can't help but feel this way every once in a while. I mean, the show was ended in a way to set up more possible sequels...but they haven't happened yet, so we have to have a conversation about this every few months or so just to ease our pain, lol. It's just out way of dealing. Some ppl smoke, drink, excersize...we start threads like this. :p

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
Yeah....I know :\. You're totally right, if the show had ended with closure the fanbase would be no where near as big as it is now. But, you can't help but feel this way every once in a while. I mean, the show was ended in a way to set up more possible sequels...but they haven't happened yet, so we have to have a conversation about this every few months or so just to ease our pain, lol. It's just out way of dealing. Some ppl smoke, drink, excersize...we start threads like this. :p

Samantha Beckett

Hey, it is a healthy addiction after all. ;)

SamBeckettfann said:
right you are Chris, it's better Ql than alcohol.

Or maybe even QL with alcohol..lol! Just kidding..but I do agree...if they had ended with a happy ending, we would have been happy at the time, but we probably would have let go of the show after that...but now here we are, having a great time discussing how they are going to get Sam back or if they ever will...lol!
So here's to QL with or without alcohol...:cheers :heybaby :roflmao:

Well, let me take your minds in another direction...
The "Don Quixote" reference is a metaphor. When the Columbia Accident Investigation Board took on the issue of NASA's "culture", one of the board members expressed frustration, and mused in the press about if their work would change anything. I used the metaphor of the ant vs. the elephant. The board was only 12 people trying to expose and change the direction of a governmental agancy which had grown arrogant and insular over time. I sent this board member an e-mail, explaining why they had to at least try, and not to become discouraged.
Yes, the odds may be overwhelming. Yes, it may be dangerous, in many ways.
But you have to try. You will never know what you can accomplish if you do not try to make a difference. Every once in awhile, Don Quixote does win. History is replete with ordinary people who have done extraordinary things. But they all have one thing in common:
They believed in themselves.
And so, in a little bar in an out-of-the-way western Pennsylvania town, an Indiana farmer's son realizes that he has made a huge difference in many lives, and cries because he's humbled and overwhelmed by the scope of it all. And he realizes that he's part of something beyond his ability to comprehend.
Been there, done that, got the e-mails and photos to prove it...

Absolutely Agree

Spaceflight101:

I absolutely agree with you about needing to always do what you can to make a difference. If we do not continuously strive be something more than the status quo, we will stagnate and even fall backwards. Thank you for reminding us that we truly can be the agents for the changes we see as desireable.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
-- Margaret Mead

It's like my attitude towards asking for something...If you don't ask, the answer is automatically NO...if you do ask, it MIGHT be yes.

Since finally coming to grips with the "Dr. Sam Beckett Never Returned Home" screen after 12 years, I've been thinking A LOT about Mirror Image, it's meaning(s), and what value its analysis adds to my understanding of things both QL and in the real world of "reality."

I think the show has meanings on many levels (the way most really great stories do). I don't think there is one absolute and final meaning for all the parts of Mirror Image. There are insights that keep popping up and when I read what others see in the story, it astounds me how really wonderful this final story really was. I may have had an extreme viseral reaction to it when it first aired...but now I truly appreciate it.