1001 The Final Solution

The Final Solution

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

• 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
The Final Solution
April 11, 1961

Warsaw and Auschwitz-Birkenau, Poland

Sam leaps into a German man in 1961, and finds that he is on trial for war crimes during W.W.II. During the leap, Sam is taken to visit one of the concentration camps, Auschwitz-Birkenau. During his time there, Sam leaps further back in time (November 1941) and into one of Al's relatives to experience the horrors firsthand.

Written by: Sue Johnson

Thanks,
TVS Team

(2-way tie)

Last edited by a moderator:
Our rating system this season consisted of six raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode.

Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.04

Some of the comments given were:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Valery S. Gemini said:
The theme is certainly not an easy one to write about, but somehow I feel that if our favorite show had been granted more TV seasons, Uncle Don would certainly have used it.

I'd like to thank this new, talented and promising author for not dwelling too deeply upon what we all know about the atrocities of that time and place, but for giving us a very sensible and tactful insight on the main characters. Also for scattering pinches of our good old pal Al's witticisms to lighten the mood, exactly when needed to alleviate our inner turmoil: because it was not that easy for me to deal with the fact that this FICTION I was reading has its background in the most horrible period in our recent history.

Really impatient to read Pt 2 - and to know how can Sam was able to leap beyond his lifetime. And this is the way the season starts: with a bang, definitely not a whimper.

RATING: 9.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
I would rate A FINAL SOLUTION a 9: This was a great story. Will definitely tell others about it.

I can hardly wait for part 2, very intense, and I will definitely be a rater! This is fun!

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris Finkle said:
I feel honored to be chosen to be the newest rater for TVS, and to have Sue's story to be my first official episode to rate... wow!

I've always had a fascination with stories relating to WWII, so this was a wonderful experience for me. I agree with what the previous raters said. I also feel that this is a subject that DPB himself might have eventually touched upon given the right circumstances. Sue's words really made me "see" the story in my mind, as if it were on television. It is definitely season-opener material! :)

I give Part I a rating of 9 ? it would be higher, but I'm saving it for Part II, because I KNOW I'm gonna end up crying by the time I finish reading it next week. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
Good story - a good read.

RATING: 8.75

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sparky said:
Nicely done. Can't wait until next week to read part II.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kazzi said:
I suspect next week's part will bump this rating up further as this is an incredibly powerful, well written story and a great season opener.

The delicate subject was dealt with in such a way that the story remained readable and interesting without trivializing the central issues. Aiding this, the original characters were well developed and rounded which promoted the story even further.

I look forward to reading the next part, and to answering some of the points posed in this week's episode.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is:

WOW, Sue!! WOW!!!

If this is Part 1, I think I'm gonna start crying my eyes out when I read Part 2! :eek

"I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!" :D

I told Sue I wasn't going to post a review here, because I felt nothing I could say would do the episode justice.
This is truly one of the most powerful and moving QL stories I have ever read.
I changed my mind, because I finally thought of an appropriate comment -
I have just noticed that my debut virtual season story "Where the Buck Stops" is scheduled to follow Sue's next story "Eeny Meany, Miny Mo".
Having seen some of what that tale holds, and knowing it is every bit as high a calibre as Final Solution, all I can say is
"Oh boy!"
Sue, you are one tough act to follow, sis, and I just know your shoes are far too big for this humble scribe to fill.
The phrase 'from the sublime to the ridiculous' comes to mind.
If you haven't read Sue's story yet - get to it! Your QL fanfic reading list is sadly lacking without it.

I want to take this opportunity to apologize to Sue.

I'm sorry that I renamed this story Sue. I didn't mean to do it. :( I'm sorry.

Everyone... the story's name is THE FINAL SOLUTION. It was an error on my part. Excuse me.

I'll try to be better. I'm sorry, Sue.

MJ

Awwww, thanks you guys for all the praise and to think I was worried that it wouldn't be accepted.

Well, that's all I'm gonna say for now, except for one thing -- A GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Mike Bloxam for checking over my German grammar. Cheers Mike you're a darlin' ;)

{{Edit}}

Thanks MJ for that and also for even considering my story worthy of TVS

Sue,
You must realize that any Quantum Leap story is worth the effort! :)

AND NO.......... THANK YOU! Thank you for deciding to write such a story. I don't think that just anyone could write it so nicely and done so well.

AND..........

I can't wait to air the rest of The Final Solution!

MJ

Very nicely done, Sue! I thoroughly enjoyed this story... I can't wait until part two airs. ^_^ This is amazing writing with a very emotional story behind it. Poor Sam sure is getting knocked around this time, isn't he?

Oh, and no problem with the German... any time, my friend!

... Mike. ^_^

Sue I don't what to say very well written,emontially a time that everyone would like to forget.But one of the most powerful story's I read,I am sure the 2nd half will be even tougher to read

Excellent job Sue! "The Final Solution" is the only Virtual Season ep that you've written and the SBP episode was also excellent! I was very confused about the lead in to the next episode. It seemed as though it was narrated by someone else other than Sam and it seemed that Sam wasn't there until I read "Oh boy!" But even that famous phrase seemed like it was said by the leapee.

Great Job! :D
~Steve(aka RossBeckett)

P.S. The Virtual Seasons is an almost exact replica of the Bellisario series! I love it even though I have only read the 6th season premiere and the 10th season premiere so far.

RossBeckett

I was very confused about the lead in to the next episode. It seemed as though it was narrated by someone else other than Sam and it seemed that Sam wasn't there until I read "Oh boy!" But even that famous phrase seemed like it was said by the leapee.

The lead in to the next episode wasn't written by me, my story ended with the words:

If she ever could?

The EPILOGUE to the next episode is written by Douglas Laird the writer of the next episode "Quake"

I just thought I'd clear this up for you.