What kind of music do you like?

N

Night Terror

Well, the title says it all. This is an interesting board full of interesting people, and I'd like to know what kind of music you're all into. If you want to list genres, authors, bands, even music from your childhood, etc., go ahead, don't hesitate to post. Anything goes. Anything you want.

I'll start: I love progressive rock, progressive metal, new age, power/symphonic metal, classical gothic, classical music, piano music, electronic music (the surreal/classical kind, not the dance one, although I used to like it), I like rock-pop, and used to like disco. I also like jazz, rock and some classics from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Some names (by genre): Progressive rock: Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP (Emerson, Lake & Palmer), etc.; progressive metal: Dream Theater; power/symphonic metal: Nightwish; classical gothic: Stoa; new age: Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Yanni, Secret Garden, David Lanz & Paul Speer; classical music: Carmina Burana, Beethoven, Ennio Morricone; piano: Wim Mertens; electronic: Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre; rock: Electric Light Orchestra, The Foreigner, Styx, Kansas; rock-pop: Heart, Roxette, etc.

I also like some rock-pop from the late 90's, like Natalie Imbruglia or Sixpence Non The Richer. I kinda like Jamiroquai, too, but he's more like disco.

To name a few. I can't wait to hear from you. See you soon.

Last edited:
This may sound odd, but I like wordless music, like orchestra music, or some video game music. However, I do like vocal music as well. It's hard to say, because I like some songs some most genres (except for rap that heavy metal music, which I don't like at all). Depends on the song.

My tastes are all over the place. My favorites are celtic/gaelic. I like a lot of things but absolutely hate rap music. Cannot stand it.

I listen to a lot of rock music, but I usually like random tracks rather than all tracks by a certain band. I do have some favourites though, such as My Chemical Romance, James Brown and "Weird Al" Yankovic. Weird Al is a genius, he's my hero.

I don't like head banging.

Hehehe! Me neither.

I don't like rap, either, and I absolutely loathe reggaeton. That one can't even be considered as music, in my opinion.

But hey, very interesting tastes here.

By the way, ohboy, can you recommend me some orchestra albums/artists? Since you're into wordless/orchestral music, I highly recommend you "The Belly Of An Architect", by Wim Mertens.

Errowyn, why do you say your tastes are all over the place? No way! I love celtic/gaelic, too. Can you recommend some albums/artists? And hey, you gotta listen to Loreena Mckennit, that's if you haven't already.

Ang, I love some classics from the 50's, too. I listen to them on the radio quite often.

And Ziggy, Weird Al sounds interesting. I understand he parodies many things in his songs, am I right?

Well, I hope more people come.

Hehehe!

I don't like rap, either, and I absolutely loathe reggaeton. That one can't even be considered as music, in my opinion.

But hey, very interesting tastes here.

By the way, ohboy, can you recommend me some orchestra albums/artists? Since you're into wordless/orchestral music, I highly recommend you "The Belly Of An Architect", by Wim Mertens.

Errowyn, why do you say your tastes are all over the place? No way! I love celtic/gaelic, too. Can you recommend some albums/artists? And hey, you gotta listen to Loreena Mckennit, that's if you haven't already.

Ang, I love some classics from the 50's, too. I listen to them on the radio quite often.

And Ziggy, Weird Al sounds interesting. I understand he parodies many things in his videos, am I right?

Well, I hope more people come.

I've bought soooo many music from the 50's it's not funny!

Thats all I listen to!

Some 60's music I don't mind either actually.

Here we come......

Walkin down the street......

Hey Hey We're The Monkees!

Corny ay?

I really like pretty much anything as long as it's 'from the heart' do I make sense?
From classical to thrash metal as long as I feel there's real meaning behind
it. I like pretty much all 80ies pop too even some songs without 'meaning'
just because I grew up with them and they're kinda 'cool'
Then again, I don't listen to music all that much anymore.

Night Terror, you have a lot of my favorites on your list:
Definitely Rock classics!
And you know Tangerine Dream!
Wheeeh. Do you know the tv show "streethawk"? :)

My musical taste is pretty eclectic.
I like most things from country and gospel to pop and classical and rock and blues and...
You get the idea.
In fact I prefer not to judge by genres.
Generally, I hate jazz and opera and head-banging music. But having said that, there are some operatic pieces that I love.
I tend to take each piece of music on it's own merits, listen with an open mind and declare 'l like that' or 'eugh, what a noise!'
My i-tunes goes from Pink to punk to classical.

I too like instrumental pieces a lot. I like a lot of film soundtracks.
If you like stuff without lyrics, the soundtrack to Honest Courtesan [Dangerous Beauty in the States] which was actually released as a CD called 'A Destiny of Her Own' just to cause further confusion, is beautiful and evocative music.
The movie is in my all time top ten too. If you are not easily shocked, check it out.
Check out the trial scene from it on YOUTUBE - one of the most powerful bits of acting I've ever seen, and strong directorially etc too. Better if you've seen the whole film for the context, but stirring stuff even in isolation.
Sorry, I've diverted to the movie discussion thread, but I can highly recommend this.
Back to music - I love the Gospel Barber shop quartet called 'The Cathedrals' and their friends the Statler Brothers. What voices, what passion!
I like modern singers like Duffy, Katy Perry, Lily Allen, The Saturdays.
I like old singers [well I am in my fifties!] like Jim Reeves and Perry Como.

In short, [hah! bit late for that!] I like a little bit of everything and will try anything once.

I have extremely eclectic tastes. Growing up, my sis and I were exposed by our mother to a lot of Oldies and '80s soft rock. Then as we grew older, we branched out into other genres, especially after my parents divorced and we weren't stuck listening to a single Christian station that my dad liked/s (granted, these days it's a lot more interesting to listen to, with more contemporary styles; back then, all of it was the praise & worship style).

Name a genre, and I could tell you at least one artist or song I like from that genre. That is how wide my tastes are. I think just about the only genre I DON'T like is the very heavy "rock" where everyone is screaming so loud you can't tell what they are saying. I would say I also don't like the kind with the deep, gravelly type stuff, but I can't, because I absolutely adore Rammstein.

Compare that to my also being in love with Enya, and there you have the range of my tastes. LOL

Joy

I don't like head banging.

My Mom loves classical music and her former co-workers were once heckling her over it. I told her how to get rid of them was to start head banging to the music. I don't know if she ever did but I did stop hearing complaints about the co-workers.

I like Enya and Gaelic Storm. Gaelic Storm often has more lively and fast paced music. Nightwish sort of has the rock out Celtic stuff. It isn't to everyone's taste though but I like them.

Let's see, Night Terror. I think Beethoven, especially "The Four Seasons" is wonderful. Another is the "Ride of the Valyerkies" (think of those old Maxell casette-tape commercials). However, almost any orchestra music I like, and would recommendt to those who like this type of music, because each has a different mood, and it really is a different experience. Therefore, my recommendation is that if you haven't heard a song before, you should at least listen to it once. :lol

Sadly, though, from where I live, there are very few symphanies, except for at the community college, which I think does two a semester. This isn't a very cultural town I live in when it comes to music and arts. After all, I live in the far north of California, near Mt. Shasta and the forest-areas surrounding it. So I don't get to hear a lot of it. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind, Niight Terror.

I also like a lot of the Beetle's later songs (like "Elanor Rigsby" and "Strawberry Fields"), mainly because the music is rather deep, and requires some thought and interpretation. I don't really like "throw-away" lyrics or songs too much.

ohboy said:
I don't really like "throw-away" lyrics or songs too much.

Then you must listen to Rush or any other prog band, man, like Marillion. But listen to Rush first (if you haven't already) and you'll be blown away. Their songs and lyrics require a lot of thought. They're really deep. I recommend you these albums: "Subdivisions", "Moving Pictures", "Power Windows" and "Hold Your Fire". Well, truth is, I'd recommend you everything, but listen to the first two and I'm sure they'll grow on you.

Errowyn said:
Nightwish sort of has the rock out Celtic stuff. It isn't to everyone's taste though but I like them.

Say, have you listened to anything with Annette? I ask because I'm practically new to Nightwish and wow, I'm mesmerized by Tarja! Words cannot describe how good she is (or was). But I've only listened to everything with her, nothing with the "new" singer, so, do you recommend Annette, or who do you like the most?

tina_als_girl said:
Name a genre, and I could tell you at least one artist or song I like from that genre.

Let's say... prog. Which ones do you like from that one (songs or artists)?

By the way, since you mention Enya, well, I'll have to recommend you Loreena McKennitt, too, those are like the classic names, but hey, you gotta listen to Secret Garden. A specific album? Yeah, "White Stones". A specific song? "Hymn To Hope". It'll make you cry at how beautiful it is (yeah, I cry sometimes, too). I also recommend you "Gates of Dawn", and it's from an album called "Once In A Red Moon". Beautiful music.

When it comes to heavy metal, I've only listened to Metallica, I think, and kinda like it. Rammstein's good, too. I don't think I've ever listened to anything dark/death metal, though. It's not like it's for me, which may come off as a surprise to many of you.

leaper1 said:
In fact I prefer not to judge by genres.

Which is pretty good. Gives you another perspective on music. By the way, you have pretty interesting tastes, and thanks for the movie recommendation, never heard of it, but I'll try to check it out, and the soundtrack, too. It's a good thing you mention film soundtracks, you know. In fact, I was about to ask everybody if they liked them, too. Since you're into them, I highly recommend you anything by Thomas Newman, especially the one for "The Shawshank Redemption". Alan Silvestri has some classics, too, like the one for "Forrest Gump" or like the one for the movie "Contact", with Jodie Foster. They're both a bit alike if you analyze them a bit, but they're worth it.

jassian said:
And you know Tangerine Dream!
Wheeeh. Do you know the tv show "streethawk"?

Wow! You got me there, Jassie. I never heard of that show, but I'm investigating a bit, and it says that TD composed the main theme. Well, what do you know? You learn something new everyday. I'll have to check it out. "Le Parc" is one of my favorite albums, so it's more likely I've heard the modified version. By the way, have you seen the movie "Firestarter", based on the novel by Stephen King? TD composed the score for that film, too, and wow, incredible stuff! Most fans regard the original soundtrack as their best ever, but I disagree. "Stratosfear" is still my absolute favorite. "Transsiberia" is the second one, and "Le Parc" the third. "Cyclone" is the only one I could never really get into. Which one is your least favorite? On a sidenote, I saw a movie once titled "Three O'Clock High". I didn't like it, but loved the TD score. Anything with TD! And hey, whatever you do, don't stop listening to music. It helps you be inspired, too.

angvav said:
Corny ay?

Hehehe! Oh, those were the golden years, man (well, I suppose)! You mentioned the 60's. Do you like Janis Joplin? Could you recommend some albums? By the way, since you love the 50's, and therefore you're an expert on them, what's your opinion on "Tweedle Dee", by Winfield Scott?

Well, I'm tired now. I'll go to sleep, and listen to some records on the way.

Wow! You got me there, Jassie. I never heard of that show, but I'm investigating a bit, and it says that TD composed the main theme. Well, what do you know? You learn something new everyday. I'll have to check it out. "Le Parc" is one of my favorite albums, so it's more likely I've heard the modified version. By the way, have you seen the movie "Firestarter", based on the novel by Stephen King? TD composed the score for that film, too, and wow, incredible stuff! Most fans regard the original soundtrack as their best ever, but I disagree. "Stratosfear" is still my absolute favorite. "Transsiberia" is the second one, and "Le Parc" the third. "Cyclone" is the only one I could never really get into. Which one is your least favorite? On a sidenote, I saw a movie once titled "Three O'Clock High". I didn't like it, but loved the TD score. Anything with TD! And hey, whatever you do, don't stop listening to music. It helps you be inspired, too.

Actually I don't know of anything else TD did a soundtrack for, I should check it out, thanks :) Check out streethawk if you can, it's pretty cool. Another 80s hero. Well, I listen to music sometimes, and you're right, it's cool for inspiration, Should do it more :) How about Vangelis, do you like his work? Love Jean Michel Jarre too. Although I've heard a few versions of Oxygene too many. And Mike Oldfield?

How about Vangelis, do you like his work? Love Jean Michel Jarre too. Although I've heard a few versions of Oxygene too many. And Mike Oldfield?

Jarre, Vangelis, Oldfield... Jassian, I could kiss you (if you'd let me :lol)!!!

*gives night terror and ang a good bearhug*

Oldfield's so good for inspiration when I'm writing.

You know streethawk! Yay, I loved that show, about as much as QL actually.. even though it didn't have quite the same production value.

Ah, yes, Loreena McKennitt. Know her well, too; was introduced to her music by my friend. That same friend also introduced me to Secret Garden. I will admit the only album I have heard of theirs is Dawn of a New Century, and my favorite on there is the title song.

This friend ALSO introduced me to Mike Oldfield, by way of introducing me to his album Voyager, which is an absolute masterpiece, IMHO. She actually developed a novel from scenes she wrote to the music. From there, I looked him up and realized he was awesome as heck.

I also like Jean Michael Jarre, ELO, Alan Parsons Project, to name a few. Funnily enough, though as a child the only thing my dad ever listened to was old-school praise/worship music, I learned as a teenager that his tastes had been farther ranging when he was younger. And lo and behold, I managed to like a lot of the same stuff without ever having known he had liked it, too. Stuff like Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, the Beatles (specifically for me, St. Peppers), Jarre, etc.

Mannheim Steamroller is a HUGE thing between my dad and me. He had tons of their vinyls that he'd taped to cassette when he bought them, so my mom would put headphones on her stomach while I was in the womb and would play Mannheim for me. I can literally remember listening to "Wolfgang Amadeus Penguin" from Saving the Wildlife while I was in the womb. I was born knowing that song by heart!

I'm going to sound stupid right here, but "prog"? Do you mean progressive rock?

If that is what you mean, based on Wikipedia, groups I like would include Genesis and Pink Floyd. If not, then I'm not sure... I will admit that sometimes I will hear a song and not really know how to categorize it; or there will be a particular genre or sub-genre that I have not yet heard (or did not realize I had heard it).

Of the tried and true genres, here are some examples of what I like:

RAP: Eminem; Will Smith (though, of course, his is a different style, really)
COUNTRY: Shania Twain; Carrie Underwood; Kenny Chesney; Garth Brooks; Brad Paisley; Rascal Flatts
COUNTRY ROCK: Kid Rock (I like him most in this genre)
CLASSICAL: Mozart; Beethoven; Gustav Holst's The Planets; Gabriel Faure's Pavane (and much, much more)
POP: there are so many sub-genres to this... I especially like Bubblegum Pop, the bouncy, infectious stuff that was popular in '99-ish time period. Mandy Moore's "Candy", Len's "Steal My Sunshine", Vitamin C's "Smile". I also like choice songs from various boy bands like *N SYNC, Backstreet Boys, and LFO ("Summer Girls" and "West Side Story" are special to my sis and me).
SOFT ROCK: Elton John, Phil Collins, Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Jack Wagner... basically, anything you hear on an "'80s, '90s, and Today" kinda station, I like. Same with Oldies; love 'em all (with varying degrees).
IRISH/GAELIC: I fell in love with Irish rock after attending the Kansas City Irish Fest. Groups like the Indulgers, Great Big Sea, Flogging Molly, and Dropkick Murphys. Oh, and The Elders (not sure how big they are nationally, but a HUGE sensation in Kansas City)
NEW AGE/CELTIC: Enya; Enigma; Deep Forest; Ronan Hardiman; Adiemus
COMEDY: Ray Stevens ("Mississippi Squirrel Revival" is a hoot!); Jim Stafford (also love his pure country stuff, too); pretty much anything from Dr. Demento; Weird Al Yankovic is pure genius
DANCE/TECHNO: A huge variety of various songs; groups would include Fatboy Slim and Venga Boys
ELECTRONIC: Well, already mentioned Alan Parsons Project and ELO; also like Polyphonic Spree and REALLY like Royksopp.
HIP HOP: Outkast, Gnarls Barkley
REGGAE: I will admit to liking Sean Paul, though I will also admit it's all starting to sound the same; really, really like Sean Kingston

There's one for the Celtic genre that I like that fits more towards Classic Celtic (like McKennitt) than New Age Celtic (like Enya): Steve McDonald. He's got some great stuff out there. My stepmom told me about him, and I've been getting all his CDs from the library since.

I also like the groups Arid and Coldplay (I want to go to a concert of theirs; they were AWESOME on SNL); not entirely sure what genre they are considered (for purposes of organizing the music on my comp, I stuck them in a folder entitled "Melodic", for lack of a better term).

Of the stuff played on contemporary "Mix" type stations, I LOVE Beyonce and Pink, and also enjoy Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake (dude should just join the cast of SNL permanently; that would make ME a weekly viewer again), and David Cook (and no, it isn't because he's from near my hometown).

I also love Broadway (Phantom of the Opera, The Producers, what I've heard of Wicked) and soundtracks (mostly scores, with stuff like Disney's Enchanted mixed in on the lyrical side; LOVE choral scores.... "Duel of the Fates" and the theme from "Glory" are amongst my faves).

So, yeah..... That's only the tip of the iceberg.

Joy

PS: Oh, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the House MD soundtrack (and ADORE Hugh Laurie and the Band From TV), and I REALLY love Robert Downey Jr.'s album "The Futurist".

Does will smith still sing?

Or is he solely acting at the moment?

Sorry for the silly question here.

Not sure about that... Last song I remember him doing was "Switch", which was a *little* too "not-him", IMHO. I do think he's focusing more on the acting now, which I think is a good move, as he's really a wonderful actor.

And that's another "genre" I love: Celebrities Who Can Sing. By that I mean, celebrities who are famous for something like acting and then it turns out that, hey, they're actually really good singers, too. (for example: Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr., Catherine Zeta-Jones, Hugh Laurie, etc.)

Joy

Last edited:
And that's another "genre" I love: Celebrities Who Can Sing. By that I mean, celebrities who are famous for something like acting and then it turns out that, hey, they're actually really good singers, too. (for example: Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr., Catherine Zeta-Jones, Hugh Lauries, etc.)

Joy

And of course a certain Scott Bakula!!!!!

Wow, I'm reading everything, and there's so much I don't know. Now that you mention Scott, leaper1, I admit that I've never listened to anything by him (outside of QL, of course), but he seems to be good.

By the way, Tina, yeah, I was referring to progressive rock.

Say, have you listened to anything with Annette? I ask because I'm practically new to Nightwish and wow, I'm mesmerized by Tarja! Words cannot describe how good she is (or was). But I've only listened to everything with her, nothing with the "new" singer, so, do you recommend Annette, or who do you like the most?

I like them both. They both have their strengths and both sound good. Give it a try and see how you like it.

Tarja has an amazing voice.

I am a big rocker, though if I hear something I like the sound of I will add it to my list. I also like chanting music and classical. I also like Celtic music as well.

I like a range of stuff (mainly types of rock) but I can't stand R 'n' B, Dance/Techno, really prissy pop music.

My main genres are rock and accoustic though.

I can't really choose favourites when it comes to music but I am an absolute fanatic of The Rasmus! Some of their early stuff was so random it was brilliant and now that they're older, the lead singer is writing more serious lyrics that really reach out to me.