Round Robin: Humerous ficlet - Beware the Bunny

JuliaM

Project QL Intern
Aug 16, 2004
Massachusetts
www.seshatplace.com
This is just a short little ficlet. It's my attempt to poke fun at myself and my choices in writing. It's not meant to be taken seriuosly at all - it's just a piece of fun fluff.

Sam stood just inside the front door to Al’s second floor apartment in Socorro. He’d been surprised when the older man hadn’t shown up at the project after a long weekend and he’d gone to his apartment looking for him.

“This is all your fault, Sam,” Al sniffled out.

“My fault?” Sam asked in open-mouthed shock. “How’s it my fault that you’re sick? I didn’t give it to you.”

Al let out a few coughs before answering Sam’s question. “Because you’re the one who’s supposed to get sick or hurt, not me.”

“What do you mean I’m the one who’s supposed to get sick or hurt. What are you trying to say about me.”

“I’m saying that all those evil little plot bunnies are supposed to hunt you down, not me. I’m the one who takes care of you. Something’s completely screwy.”

“Oh, is that it? Well, I guessed you haven’t heard, it’s almost a new year, there’s a new breed of plot bunnies around and now you’re their target. As for me, it’s vacation time for me. No more hospitals, no more ambulances, no more you shoving Tylenol down my throat. I’m gonna have a lot of fun with this.”

Sam turned to leave the apartment but turned back when he heard Al’s plaintive call behind him.

“Are you really just going to leave me like this?”

Sam stopped and his eyes seemed to turn inward as if he were listening to a voice only he could hear. “Yeah, that’s the way they want it,” he said before again leaving the apartment.

“Who’s ‘they’?” Al called out behind him before sniffling miserably.

“‘They’ are the plot bunnies,” Sam answered before letting himself out. “I’ll see you in a couple of days, Al.”

Sam started to walk confidently toward the stairs whistling a happy tune. He’d been the victim of the plot bunnies for so long it felt good to be free and clear of them. As he reached the top step he failed to see the child’s roller-skate that had been left there until it was too late. He stepped on it, lost his balance and hurtled down the flight of stairs bouncing painfully until he came to a stop and groaned.

Al, who had heard the noise, came charging out of his apartment and stopped on the top step looking down to where Sam lay in a bloodied, crumpled heap at the bottom of the stairs. He could just barely make out the words the younger man was mumbling, “It’s not supposed to be me anymore. It’s not supposed to be me.”

Just then a rather large-sized bunny came hopping by clutching a rolled up piece of paper. Shooting out his un-injured arm, Sam snagged the bunny bringing it to a halt.

“I’m not supposed to be the one that gets beaten on anymore,” he reminded the bunny in a painful voice. “It’s supposed to be him,” he finished pointing up at Al.

“Sorry, Dr. Beckett,” the bunny said though it didn’t sound very sorry. “I guess no one told you that the recently executed contract that put Admiral Calavicci in our sites instead of you has been delayed for another year. Guess you have more of the same to look forward to in 2007.” Without another word, the bunny hopped off.

From his place at the top of the stairs, Al gave an experimental sniff. “Hey,” he said in wonder, “I feel better already. Boy those bunnies act fast.”

At the bottom of the stairs where he still lay in a crumpled heap Sam could only utter a pained, “Oh boy”.

This made me laugh!! It was SO cute, and I guess I got a little inspired! The bunnies at the end seemed like it should be you dressed in a bunny suit. So I drew this. Hope you like it! ^.^

jmoniz_plotbunny.jpg

Really funny--though I think Al would gladly have put up with a few sniffles and coughs to spare his friend some of the pains you put him through in your fics!