Season 3 - R2 Music is INTACT!

Al The Observer said:
That's funny. I thought I was the only one who did that.
I do that too. I have no idea why - I think it has to do with how I learn best. Not sure. Plus I think it's funny to see how they describe the music or sound effects:lol

McDuck said:
Fingers crossed.... :D
Guys you do know that most, if not all DVD players can be made region free with just a few keys on the remote control, right? Most manufacturers of DVD players never agreed with the region locking of DVDs but various Hollywood studios told them that they wouldn't release anything on the format unless they complied, to control distribution, so they complied but as a retaliatory measure they've included hidden menus accessable by doing various things with the players (it differs from player to player, google 'dvd remote code region free') like for example opening the dvd tray and then tapping 6 1 3 and ok into the remote. You must make sure however that your NTSC tv is compatible with PAL television transmissions before you make your player region free however, as you might just get a flickering picture or a picture that's black and white if you don't use it on a Pal compatible TV.

I'm in Ireland here and I have the R1 S3 QL boxset, besides I read somewhere that the music was only changed on R1 in Seasons 1 and 2, but not in Season 3. I have Seasons 1 and 2 in Region 2 just for the original music but I decided to get R3 for the double sided dual layer discs, makes everything so much easier.

Wrong Arturo said:
I'm confused. Why are people upset about the lack of subtitles? I would think the UK version of the discs is in English, just like the American version.

Well, the UK version is also available on the mainland of Europe and most of us (the rest of the Europeans) aren't fluent in English. And although I am pretty fluent in English, I still use the subtitles out of habit (English/American tv-series and movies are ALWAYS subtitled in Dutch over here, so your eye is always looking at the bottom of the screen anyway).

Though I wonder how for instance German and French people cope with (or without) subtitles, as they use the system of dubbing (meaning that they probably (up till the release of the DVD's) had no idea how Sam and Al sounded in their American voices!).

Region Free, yes. Format Switchable, that's a different story.

Sure, you can get a PAL DVD to play on some American DVD players. But you won't be able to watch it unless you run out and buy a PAL TV. You need a multi-format, multi-region DVD player (which fortunately can be had for ~$50) which actually converts the PAL signal to NTSC.

Yeah my DVD player does that too... my tv can play NTSC so it's ok but if need be I can also set my player to convert the NTSC footage to PAL footage if I'm using a different TV.

I for one usually get my TV series from R1 preferably. My Quantum Leap S1 is the R1 release, but S2 and S3 is the R2/R4 version.

ALot of my other TV series I have are the R1 release, but since the constant defective R1 DVDs in TV shows released from UNiversal, I have now chosen to get the R2 or R4 version (which ever is cheaper :roflmao:)

In theory, you can make a PS2 play different regions. I've hashed this out with someone before, but I have been able to choose what region in one of the options screen on my PS2 (which doubles as my DVD player). I don't have any R2 dvds to test it with, but I think its probable that if u set ur ps2 to region 2 and put in a r2 dvd it would work.

Samantha Beckett

Sadly a PS2 will not convert video formats, ie PAL-NTSC.

We really need a pinned thread about this, we seem to be going round in circles covering the same ground over and over.

Last edited:
this it great news.... region 2 for me :) YEAHHHHH

now for a question... is season 2 region 2 disks origional music? primerrily, the end of MIA, it sucks without Georgia on my mind.
but also Animal Frat and a few other episodes are a bit dissapointing.

stewkh said:
this it great news.... region 2 for me :) YEAHHHHH

now for a question... is season 2 region 2 disks origional music? primerrily, the end of MIA, it sucks without Georgia on my mind.
but also Animal Frat and a few other episodes are a bit dissapointing.

Region 2 has all the original music (at least for all the three seasons which have been released).

ziggysego said:
What? No subtitles? I was going to replace all my Region 1 DVDs for Region 2. I am hard of hearing and need subtitles. Nozzles!

Ziggy me buddy, if you replace, could you rip both disks onto pc, demux both, take audio from one, video from another, mux and burn.
i would have thought the subtitles was part of the video stream

tina_als_girl said:
No, actually, I do it to. I annoy the heck out of my family members when they watch TV with me 'cause I always have the captions on.

Joy

just a question here then,
how often do the subtitles match what they say?

They are very accurate most of the time. The only time they are inaccurate is when sometimes they will omit a few "unnecessary" words to compact sentences into something easier to read. I can't think of an example to quote now (I've been awake 39 of the past 42 hours, and my brain is fuzzy), but when I do, I'll post it here. They do not subtitle non-english words (ex: when Al is speaking Italian for Sam to repeat to Don Gino in Double Identity, those words are not subtitled; but when Sam repeats them, they are translated into English on the screen, even without subtitles turned on). They do not subtitle words to songs that are sung by the characters (very annoying). The subtitle description of sounds is sometimes very funny (ex: when Al smacks the handlink, sometimes it will say something like [Device whines]; another ex: when Al opens the chamber door, it will say something like [Portal opens]) I've noticed that in season four, when Al centers in on Sam offscreen the subtitle says [Portal opens] but it's not the door opening sound, it's the Al has appeared sound. Make sense? If something doesn't make sense, please excuse my brain fog. |I