QL Season Four Region Two DVD-original music replacements :(

EmmaCMF

Project QL Intern
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the music on the Region Two release of Quantum Leap: Season Four has been changed, and the back of the box has the warning that the music may differ from the aired version. The only episode I've had a chance to watch is Temptation Eyes, but 'I Wanna Know What Love Is' is absent.:banghead

I hope those of you from the States that may have ordered this in the hope that we would get the original soundtrack have the time to cancel your order before it is mailed to you.

What Nooooo!

No that is really not fair. But i half expected that as that same warning was put on the knight rider season 3 DVD that was released on Region 2 earlier this month

Well at least MIA had Gerogia :banghead

I get my set tomorrow will let you know universal the little :censored ers, and where is the new Quantum Leap thwy promised us in 2003 :banghead

Thank you for the heads up. I guess I'll go ahead and shell out the $ for the US version after all.

I can confirm that there are major music replacements on the R2 box set. I'm currently watching "Permanent Wave" and I think so far I haven't heard a single song in any of the episodes. I'll be returning my Season 4 box set tomorrow.

I wonder why 'all of a sudden' season 4 UK has music replaced? Could it be just laziness and using the US masters? I fail to see why all of a sudden, season 4 has become a problem for copyright.

I reckon they just saved themselves some effort and used the US masters.

I'll still get the UK versions though. Those double sided US discs are prone to faults. I just got stung on The-A team, with a faulty disc.

That would imply then that it's not all of the episodes. Whilst music clearances are easier in the UK than in the US, I supose there is some music that is unclearable.

At least you got some music. Us Americans are stupid...maybe just me. I still bought mine minus the music. I still like it, but it doesn't envoke the same emotional impact. It's quite sad really.

Gah Arggh

Well I recieved my set - some music has been replaced, but it is not a big issue in my eyes, my only grip is the packaging. Also the Bitrate on the epsidode where sam leaps into the episode where he preforms hameltt nude, Al speech at the end is a bit shaky

Also amazon have now placed this on their website -
Note on DVD sets: During postage, discs in multidisc sets occasionally become dislodged without damage. Please examine and play these discs. If you are not completely satisfied, we'll refund or replace your purchase.

Plus i think universal should recall the sets, tidy them up and re-release them with the orignal music and a better transfer for some episodes, vent though the show is over 10 years old

Whatcha reckon boarders

EmmaCMF said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the music on the Region Two release of Quantum Leap: Season Four has been changed, and the back of the box has the warning that the music may differ from the aired version. The only episode I've had a chance to watch is Temptation Eyes, but 'I Wanna Know What Love Is' is absent.:banghead

I hope those of you from the States that may have ordered this in the hope that we would get the original soundtrack have the time to cancel your order before it is mailed to you.

I'm glad you told us this now, Em, cos I'm naturally bitterly disappointed at this turn of events, and since I'm due to be getting Season 4 as a birthday present, it's good to get the disappointment over now, rather than spoiling my birthday. It has seriously curtailed my enthusiasm for the impending reception of said item, to say the least.
The nozzles who make these cheapskate decisions are JERKS. ( Should I continue to hold back, or say what I really feel? LOL)

Gah

:banghead

I have had to get a replacement set to be sent out to me !! Mine in certain episodes were freezing up

Universal have really let the fans down, they should have used the original masters, with the proper music

I have lodge my complaint, hopefully it will help

Any of you guys had any problems with your sets ?

EmmaCMF said:

UGH. Okay, so does it have the SAME music replacement issues as R1, or do we actually get a few more songs out of it?

Wow...

How horrible. Here I was thinking that I would have all of Quantum Leap unedited after one more season. I guess I just don't understand...they only had one more season to go after this one.:(

Too bad...Now I don't know whether to return mine when it comes or not. I hate double sided discs...

I guess I'll have think about it...

Mike

Can someone confirm whether this release has all the songs removed like the US version or just some of them?

Hey just to let you know that the following music has been replaced or removed completly from the region 2 DVD release :crash

THE LEAP BACK
?Is You Is or Is You Ain?t My Baby?? Performed by: ? (Unknown)

PLAY BALL
?Traveling Man? Performed by: Ricky Nelson

HURRICANE
?It?s a Beautiful Morning? Performed by: The Rascals

RUNNING FOR HONOR
?Easier Said Than Done? Performed by: The Essex

TEMPTATION EYES
?I Want to Know What Love Is? Performed by: Foreigner (Brian said this was OMITTED... no big surprise there) :rolleyes

IT?S A WONDERFUL LEAP
?Someone to Watch Over Me? Performed by: George Gershwin
?Somewhere? Performed by: Stephen Sondheim (for ?West Side Story?)

MOMENTS TO LIVE
?All I Have to Do Is Dream? Performed by: The Everly Brothers

STAND-UP
?Orange Colored Sky? Performed by: Natalie Cole (?)
?Someday You?ll Find? (?)
?World Is Brighter? (?)

A LEAP FOR LISA
?April Love? Performed by: Pat Boone

All I can say is that i am surprised that the series has had the music butchered On R2 DVD :banghead

Well at least we got the first three seasons with the original music intact. I just hope as it had been cleared, we get georgia on my mind in mirror image.

Finally, that we get the full version (no music replacement) of Memphis Melody. Some people are saying that the episode is going to be removed from the DVD - due to clearance issues

:wacko

I'd have to say that the music replacement between the R1 and R2 releases aren't exactly analogous to each other. I just watched "Moments To Live" the other day and I know that "All I Have To Do Is Dream" was not cut from the R1 release.

As far as "Memphis Melody", since Scott did his own vocals on that and it wasn't recordings of Elvis Presley I see no reason that would prevent that episode from being included. I'm sure it's no different than when parts of the musical score from "The Man of LaMancha" was used. It's not just the songs themselves that cause the problems - it's the actual recordings of them.

slayerslair said:
Well I recieved my set - some music has been replaced, but it is not a big issue in my eyes, my only grip is the packaging. Also the Bitrate on the epsidode where sam leaps into the episode where he preforms hameltt nude, Al speech at the end is a bit shaky

Also amazon have now placed this on their website -
Note on DVD sets: During postage, discs in multidisc sets occasionally become dislodged without damage. Please examine and play these discs. If you are not completely satisfied, we'll refund or replace your purchase.

Plus i think universal should recall the sets, tidy them up and re-release them with the orignal music and a better transfer for some episodes, vent though the show is over 10 years old

Whatcha reckon boarders

:heybaby Completely agree, they shouldn't have butchered the music in the first place, it's part of the essence of the show? It helps set the era and give the leap a personality, otherwise it could be any time with dodgy costumes!

After the release of these boxsets, i'd love to see Universal for once to give something back to the fans and re-release the show as a :nut Super-deluxe-mega-set-full of QL fantasticfulness(TM) with all music and episodes intact, commentaries on at least a couple of episodes, trailers, some featurettes and a blooper reel.

Sigh.... you can only dream....:cry

Are any of the vocal performances from "... Wonderful Leap" or "Stand Up" actually deleted, or is it just the recorded music?

This so sucks. I thought the R2 releases would be the solution to my QL DVD woes. Only two more seasons to go, and I would have had the entire show intact! Now we can only *pray* that "Mirror Image" isn't completely stripped and they can actually include "Memphis Melody" with the S5 set.

What a travesty.

I'm not too worried about the Memphis Melody---the Presley Estate has common sense.

McDuck said:
I'm not too worried about the Memphis Melody---the Presley Estate has common sense.

But Universal doesn't. :\ Anyway, as jmoniz said, the episode's music is either mostly or completely sung by Scott, so I don't think we'll have much of a problem.

Not sure they are promoting the set having only 21 episodes in Season 5, so it is a worrying thought !!!

ITV3 are midway through season 3 right now, so I'm relying on them for my copies of season 4. Universal can cram it.

slayerslair said:
Not sure they are promoting the set having only 21 episodes in Season 5, so it is a worrying thought !!!
Probably because they count the 90-minute Lee Harvey Oswald as one telemovie instead of two episodes.

Apart from that... I have sent a complaint to Universal UK using the link ian2k6 posted. So far there has been no reply at all. Has anybody else heard anything?