July 2003 - Controversial Episodes

Well, since nobody else has... I guess I will!

"Black on White on Fire" - This episode is the one that sticks out in my mind the most about black vs. white. It's in a big city, and we see the disgusting violence that people can be reduced to when angry (both Lonny and the police chief) and prejudiced.

There are other episodes that are built around racism against African people ("The Colour of Truth", "Justice", "So Help Me God"), but I find that they don't compare to this episode, perhaps because Sam is the one being attacked from both sides (his African family and his Caucasian girlfriend's family). We also get to see a lot of the due hatred toward Caucasians in that area.

"Running for Honour" - A suiting episode for the early '90s, since that seems to be when homosexuality began to come out of the closet, so to speak. ;) It's another episode about prejudice against minorities that clearly demonstrates feelings at the time against those people, and reminds us in the present of how we can't keep those prejudices going.

An interesting fact about where I live... Ontario just recently made it legal for same-sex couples to be leagally married. It's a deep divide across the country as to whether or not it should be allowed. Maybe some people should watch this episode and realise that everybody has the same right to be married (although, there are restrictions, but this is for the off-topic forum!)

"Lee Harvey Oswald" - I don't find this episode controversial, probably because I don't care too much about the whole JFK/LHO thing. There are so many conspiracy theories surrounding it, it's hard to know what's the truth.

Well, that's all I can muster right now. The rest of you had better off your opinions soon, or Brian will be right angry with you all! :shootem :b

... Mike. ^_^

Okay,
MY two cents worth, I love so many of the episodes (controversial or otherwise) but I think in that category I would have to say Raped is my favorite.
The whole way that the victim and her family were affected, and made to feel guilty, was so sensitively handled.
And I think it made it far more realistic that they didn't win the court case, that the slimeball thought he'd got away with it.
Of course, seeing Sam knock the nozzle for six was very satisfying too.

I liked the ones where he leapt into people that were GUILTY of something!

"Her Charm" although it's not until the middle to end that you realize it!

"8 & 1/2 Months"... she WAS a bit of a floozie for gettin' knocked up!
toofunny.gif
Seriously though, I liked it because of the emotions of still sticking with your family... despite the mistakes that they make! And making them realize their love and responsibilities!

"Southern Comforts" Runnin' a CATHOUSE??!!
SHOCKED.gif

"Last Dance Before An Execution"... 'nuff said! My personal favorite "controversial episode!"

"Justice" Being embroiled in the deep south, and realizing that yes he was a sympathiser for the civil rights, but still having to play the role until it just couldn't be done any more. Makes you realize where in the original history the man Sam leapt into couldn't do it!

"Raped" Not guilty, but there was some doubt as to her "role" in the situation. Sam went with his gut, and it was the truth! Thank God!

"A Single Drop Of Rain" Sam has leapt into a good man, who is unfortunately a sham artist!

"Running for Honor""Does it matter?" I loved that line!

"Lee Harvey Oswald" and Pt 2... 'nuff said!

"Killing Time" Leon Stiles is a convicted murderer... and he has to maintain the illusion of who he supposedly is, and ends up breaking the 'rules'...

"Promised Land"The three brothers are wrongfully screwed out of money, but end up taking the law into their own hands.

"A Tale Of Two Sweeties" A Bigimist (sp?)

Like other members, my personal favorites are "Raped" and "Running For Honor"

Matt

Hmmmm
The thing is that I have a problem talking about all of my favorite controversial episodes. A lot of them have already been mentioned... and they are all so good!

I... er... uhmmm... hmmmm....

I plead the fifth! :angel

LEE HARVEY OSWALD

The episode, not the person. LOL! Seriously though that is my top favorite QL dramatic and controversial ep. I like how Don Bellisario(the writer) wrote in that Jackie Kennedy was killed in the original history because that said that Sam actually did save someone. That was really great! Of course, he could not make JFK live because as sad as it is, it had to be like that since it actually happened. Great job Don to that episode and to your series Quantum Leap [and JAG]!
Check out the off topic realm for a message that I posted right after this one. It has to do with QL/"Friends".

~Ross Geller-Beckett(rossbeckett2002@yahoo.com)