I hate the Snow

Al's Handlink

Project QL Intern
Mar 18, 2004
Bristol, Connecticut
We got at least a foot of snow at my house today. I hate that white...well you get the idea. Not only did I have to cancel my day out alltogether (And I don't get paid now) I have been stuck in the house all day. The snow was up past the bottom of my car doors and when I tried to get the car out, I got stuck. I only now, 7 hours later, managed to get the car out of my spot just in time for my brother to come over and plow.

I hope this is the last big snowfall of the year

I'm sorry.

You should really leave New England. Here in Alabama, we're lucky to see a 1/4 inch every few years or so. Sucks for me, cuz I love the snow, but you'd like it down here.

Samantha Beckett

I like quoteing Mark Twain. "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes."

I would love to live in an area like Alabamba. I think I would fit in quite nicely. I imagine that everything there is kind of slower, and That would appeal to me.

I used to like the snow too. That is until the winter of '93. It cured me of that real quick. When all was said and done, I think we had something like 14 feet of snow that winter. I was only like 13 or 14 or something, but I remember the snow being up to my shoulder at one point. It wasn't fun to shovel.

I don't hate snow, but I *do* hate it when the city won't plow my street.

I'm in the Kansas City area, so if you've been watching the news much, you'll know we got around a foot of snow in areas here, too.

Where I'm at--Independence--we got anywhere from 10" - 13".

Unfortunately for me, I live on a dead end street. And this dead end street ends at the bottom of a hill, with the entrance to said street at the top. I live near the end. Therefore, to get to the main road, I have to go *up* to get out.

Unfortunately, the plows rarely--if ever--plow our street, so thank god my classes were cancelled yesterday.

Sadly, they weren't today, and we *almost* didn't make it up the hill. We were slidin' *everywhere*.

My stepdad went out and shoveled much of the street in front of our house and driveway, and our next door neighbor used a blade in front of his riding lawn mower to plow a bit in front of his driveway. Then a guy down at the very end later took his Bobcat with a blade and "plowed" the whole street. However, he could only do so much with his small blade.

But the snow started falling on Wednesday morning. It's now Friday night, and we've not had anyone from the city come down our street with a plow...

Joy

I don't envey you having to live at the bottom of a hill that also happens to be a dead end in this kind of weather. I know how hard it is to get to the top of the hills sometimes

Before he died, I had un uncle that lived in a house near mine and his driveway was a small hill that was barely wide enough for the car to go straight up it. One day, I had to drive him somewhere and when I tried to get him, I couldn't make it up his driveway.

I was driving a '76 Chevy Chevette, and to say the least, it was not good in the snow. As I tried to get up the driveway, The car kept sliding back. Each time it slid back, the car also spun a little. Before I knew it, I had slowly but surely done a complete 180 in this driveway that was barely wide enough for the car to drive up. And there were stone walls on each side of the driveway to boot. Somehow I managed to not hit the wall.

When it was all said and done, I was lucky that I didn't crash the car. But it was deffinatley an interesting experience.

P.S. Joy, you're a fan of House? I love that show.

I used to like snow...back when I was a younger kid and never had to worry about going to work or driving in it. Now it's nothing but a royal pain to me. Fortunately we lucked out with this latest storm here on Long Island, and only got some freezing rain early in the morning (of course, when I have to drive to work). And since I just started a new career, calling out won't be an option for quite some time, although I hate doing that anyway.

I usually go through the same thing every year...first snowfall comes in December (or sometimes November), it's tolerable, then months go by and the snow keeps comin'. Finally around February or March, I can't take the cold weather and snow any longer. And that's the point where I feel like winter just won't die!

Anyway, I can relate to Joy with the snow plows never plowing my street. Over here, it's a "sometimes they come, sometimes they don't" deal. The best is brushing the snow off my car, pulling it out, parking, and then later that night, a snow plow comes along and pushes the snow back against my car trapping it again. My old car, an '86 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, was horrible in the snow. I usually always managed to drive pretty well in the snow, but got myself stuck in it once. Fortunately it didn't turn out to be a big deal, though. Now for the time being I have an '89 Grand Am and have yet to see how it handles in the snow. I'm guessing not too well. We'll see!

well i only saw the real snow for the first time in my life earlier this year, and i thought it was beautiful, but i could see why those of you that live in it every winter would grow to dislike it. my father who passed away this october grew up in michigan and always told me stories of how much fun he would have in it, but that it could also be quite annoying, and sometimes dangerous.

Al's Handlink said:
P.S. Joy, you're a fan of House? I love that show.

Yes, I am. And so do I! :dreaming

Man, I guess I need to get a Blazer or a Suburban (sp?). My aunt's got a Blazer and she's yet again extolling the virtues of owning one, as it has this great feature having to do with the wheel drive or something like that, and it's helped her with smooth sailing on the icy streets.

My dad's Suburban has got the same feature, and when he came to pick me up yesterday for my chiropractor appointment, he got up our hill of a street without a single sound of spinning out.

Yup, I'm definitely looking into one of those... :D

Joy

Al's Handlink said:
I would love to live in an area like Alabamba. I think I would fit in quite nicely. I imagine that everything there is kind of slower, and That would appeal to me.

I used to like the snow too. That is until the winter of '93. It cured me of that real quick. When all was said and done, I think we had something like 14 feet of snow that winter. I was only like 13 or 14 or something, but I remember the snow being up to my shoulder at one point. It wasn't fun to shovel.

Haha, well...about 98% of Alabama is that kind of slow, but in the 2% that I live in, its crazy. Though, I have to admit it is slower than the city I moved from 4 years ago. I remember the blizzard of '93, but the sweetness of it had dimmed since reading about what you got during it. 14 feet?!?! Man, we got 7 inches in Atlanta and we were snowed in for the weekend. Seven inches was unheard of tho, so we had some major snow days. I love the fact that when we get our rare 1/4 inch of snow, everyong is SOOO freaked out and everything shuts down for like 3 days. It cracks me up!

I have the best "going uphill in the snow" story, and since my friend who this happened to doesn't post here I can tell it, lol. It was about 3 years ago. I had spent the night with my two best friends Nate and Amber (brother and sister), and the next morning it had completely iced over really thick. We don't get snow down here per se, but we sure get at least one hell of an ice storm every year. Nate had to leave for some reason, so he got in his tiny little old car (i dont know what it is) and started to drive up his really steep uphill driveway. I watched him as he drove up, then slid all the way down the driveway about 5 times. He then got out, got chains from his garage, put them on his back tires. He started again, but still I watched him go up and slide down about another 5 times. I looked at Amber and asked when Nate was going to realize that he put chains on the back tires of a front wheel drive car? It was so funny, and we really haven't let him live that down yet. :roflmao:

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
Haha, well...about 98% of Alabama is that kind of slow, but in the 2% that I live in, its crazy. Though, I have to admit it is slower than the city I moved from 4 years ago. I remember the blizzard of '93, but the sweetness of it had dimmed since reading about what you got during it. 14 feet?!?! Man, we got 7 inches in Atlanta and we were snowed in for the weekend. Seven inches was unheard of tho, so we had some major snow days. I love the fact that when we get our rare 1/4 inch of snow, everyong is SOOO freaked out and everything shuts down for like 3 days. It cracks me up!

I have the best "going uphill in the snow" story, and since my friend who this happened to doesn't post here I can tell it, lol. It was about 3 years ago. I had spent the night with my two best friends Nate and Amber (brother and sister), and the next morning it had completely iced over really thick. We don't get snow down here per se, but we sure get at least one hell of an ice storm every year. Nate had to leave for some reason, so he got in his tiny little old car (i dont know what it is) and started to drive up his really steep uphill driveway. I watched him as he drove up, then slid all the way down the driveway about 5 times. He then got out, got chains from his garage, put them on his back tires. He started again, but still I watched him go up and slide down about another 5 times. I looked at Amber and asked when Nate was going to realize that he put chains on the back tires of a front wheel drive car? It was so funny, and we really haven't let him live that down yet. :roflmao:

Samantha Beckett

great, am i the only one here on the west coast and can't see snow and has never seen snow until ealier this year in april when i went to tahoe?

He put them on the back tires of a front wheel drive car. That is so funny. It sounds like something my brother would do.

Al's Handlink said:
He put them on the back tires of a front wheel drive car. That is so funny. It sounds like something my brother would do.

I was crying I was laughing so hard. I still razz him about it, now three years later. It will be a loooooong time before that one dies, lol.

Samantha Beckett

Do something like that and I don't care if 50 years pass, they are not living it down. It reminds me of when I was training for my job.

I am a Driving Instructor. One of my best friends got me into it and he was also the one to train me.

This was so funny. One of the days that I was training, I was in the back seat and he was in the passenger seat instructing a 16 year old boy. The kid had signaled for a turn and when he made it, he hit a pothole or something. Donny was about to turn around and make fun of me. He meant to say, "Do you need to check your pants."

But the kid forgot to turn off his turn signal. and Donny was going to tell the kid to take off his turn signal.

But he got all messed up and accidentally said to the kid "Take off your pants."

Believe me, he is not living that one down either.

SamBeckettfann said:
great, am i the only one here on the west coast and can't see snow and has never seen snow until ealier this year in april when i went to tahoe?

Well, I used to live in California. In fact, for the first eight years of my life (well, minus around 2 in Colorado) I was living in California.

We lived in Fresno, so when we wanted to see snow, we'd take the drive up to King's Canyon National Park and go play in the 10-ft. snow. But we didn't do that very often.

So I was so excited when I moved here 12 years ago and we had snow every winter. Missouri is just so great. I highly recommend it! :D

Joy

tina_als_girl said:
Well, I used to live in California. In fact, for the first eight years of my life (well, minus around 2 in Colorado) I was living in California.

We lived in Fresno, so when we wanted to see snow, we'd take the drive up to King's Canyon National Park and go play in the 10-ft. snow. But we didn't do that very often.

So I was so excited when I moved here 12 years ago and we had snow every winter. Missouri is just so great. I highly recommend it! :D

Joy

wow, really, that's where i live, California. not in frenso though. so it's a long drive for me to get to snow, that's why it's only been once so far in my life. i just happened to be invited by a friend to Lake Tahoe in April during spring break at school, and that just happens to be a snow time for them.

Al's Handlink said:
Do something like that and I don't care if 50 years pass, they are not living it down. It reminds me of when I was training for my job.

I am a Driving Instructor. One of my best friends got me into it and he was also the one to train me.

This was so funny. One of the days that I was training, I was in the back seat and he was in the passenger seat instructing a 16 year old boy. The kid had signaled for a turn and when he made it, he hit a pothole or something. Donny was about to turn around and make fun of me. He meant to say, "Do you need to check your pants."

But the kid forgot to turn off his turn signal. and Donny was going to tell the kid to take off his turn signal.

But he got all messed up and accidentally said to the kid "Take off your pants."

Believe me, he is not living that one down either.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:Thats funny! I would've loved to a picture of that kids face just at that moment! Your right, with something like that...50 years is still to soon to let that drop.

Samantha Beckett

We don't get bad snowstorms often in London which is very fortunate 'cos freak heavy weather paralyses the damn city. I know that's pathetic, but it's true. Bombs, we cope with. Explosions, massive fires that burn out of control, traffic accidents we shrug our shoulders. Bit of snow or a flood and people get stranded all over the city. What is it with the English and the weather? Who knows. I don't and I'm English.

However... funny snow story. I went to college at Oregon State and we had snow the first winter I was there. One of the guys on our hall was from Hawaii and had never seen snow before so we all convinced him that it was a rule, if you lived in a place that got snow, that the first time you saw snow you had to run out and roll naked in it, selling it by the fact that, y'know we we'd have been kids so it doesn't matter so much. Anxious not to break this tradition, good old G-Fresh ran out naked into the snow and rolled in it!

The next day he was in the car with one of our friends when she had two road accidents in the space of two minutes because of jokers with no chains on their tires. G-Fresh decided he didn't like the snow and wouldn't come out of the dorm 'til the roads had been gritted and he didn't have to walk on snow!

Didn't you just love college?!

britishbecca said:
We don't get bad snowstorms often in London which is very fortunate 'cos freak heavy weather paralyses the damn city. I know that's pathetic, but it's true. Bombs, we cope with. Explosions, massive fires that burn out of control, traffic accidents we shrug our shoulders. Bit of snow or a flood and people get stranded all over the city. What is it with the English and the weather? Who knows. I don't and I'm English.

However... funny snow story. I went to college at Oregon State and we had snow the first winter I was there. One of the guys on our hall was from Hawaii and had never seen snow before so we all convinced him that it was a rule, if you lived in a place that got snow, that the first time you saw snow you had to run out and roll naked in it, selling it by the fact that, y'know we we'd have been kids so it doesn't matter so much. Anxious not to break this tradition, good old G-Fresh ran out naked into the snow and rolled in it!

The next day he was in the car with one of our friends when she had two road accidents in the space of two minutes because of jokers with no chains on their tires. G-Fresh decided he didn't like the snow and wouldn't come out of the dorm 'til the roads had been gritted and he didn't have to walk on snow!

Didn't you just love college?!

Ah, the joys of freshman hazing...that's very funny Becca! We had a traditional marching band freshman hazing thing that was really funny (well, to band people, most others though it was stupid), especially if u got a really slow freshman who didn't catch onto things real quick. We had big feather plumes on our hats that we called "chickens" that were exactly the same on each side so it didn't matter what direction u put it in ur hat. They were really difficult and cumbersome to get them in and out too. Traditionally, the first game we wore the plumes, we (the upper classmen) would target the freshmen and tell them "you're chicken is on backwards", and watch them awkwardly pull them out, turn it around, and awkwardly put it back in. Then usually, we would go, "oh wait, you were right. Now its on backwards" and watch them do it again. Us band ppl thought it was hysterical, but y'all prolly think its stupid, lol :lol

Samantha Beckett

Ok, last night we had a ice storm. I woke up to a quarter inch of ice on my car and in my driveway. Thankfully, they have done a good job on the roads and I am still going to work

Al's Handlink said:
Ok, last night we had a ice storm. I woke up to a quarter inch of ice on my car and in my driveway. Thankfully, they have done a good job on the roads and I am still going to work

I heard the details about ur ice storm up there on the Weather Channel, and was worried about you. I'm glad you're okay!

Samantha Beckett

Al's Handlink said:

Tom, that was NOTHING compared to the ice storm we had here in Quebec back in 1998... at the thickest, I think there were 1? - 2 inches of ice all over the province... Some people were out of power for almost two months because some high tension power lines pillars collapsed under the incredible weight of the ice... If you wanna know more about THAT, I have a lot more stories.

As for the snow, we have just beaten the all-time record for biggest snowfall in one day!!! Over 40 cm!!! Woohoo!!! I just LOVE the snow!!! (Mainly because I don't have to drive in it, don't have a car :p) I couldn't help myself laughing at the people who were getting stuck in the snow...

Anyways, I'll see all of you later!!!

Clara

Snow

It's weird. Currently all the ski resorts have been getting 0-2" of new snow (most in the 0 range for the last couple of days) but the front range which usually DOESN'T get huge snow is getting plastered. I've currently got about 7" on my deck.

Usually, here in "The Springs" we get snow and due to sublimation and temperature, and a bit of snow plowing all the snow is off the roads in a day. But recently, we're seeing the stuff stay around longer...really weird.

I like the snow as long as I don't have to drive it it.

But I have to say...this whole thing about a White Christmas? Think about it, on the first Christmas, they were in a rather temperate climate and in a barn-like setting. I think the LAST thing that Mary and Joseph would have wanted was a snow storm.

asearcher said:
It's weird. Currently all the ski resorts have been getting 0-2" of new snow (most in the 0 range for the last couple of days) but the front range which usually DOESN'T get huge snow is getting plastered. I've currently got about 7" on my deck.

Usually, here in "The Springs" we get snow and due to sublimation and temperature, and a bit of snow plowing all the snow is off the roads in a day. But recently, we're seeing the stuff stay around longer...really weird.

I like the snow as long as I don't have to drive it it.

But I have to say...this whole thing about a White Christmas? Think about it, on the first Christmas, they were in a rather temperate climate and in a barn-like setting. I think the LAST thing that Mary and Joseph would have wanted was a snow storm.

I've only had one white Christmas in my life. I was 7 and living in Atlanta, GA. It snowed during Christmas Eve night and there was about an inch on the ground...that's big for Atlanta. Haven't had one before or since, but since it happened when I was seven it had that magical feel to it, ya know?

Samantha Beckett

Christmas time is the only time it is acceptable for there to be snow on the ground.

I honestly don't mind driving in it. But then again, you get those people that drive in it like the roads are perfect. People forget that snow makes for dangerous road conditions.

For instance, December of last year, My brother flew to Maryland to see his girlfriend. I drove him to the airport and picked him up. It snowed both days. Both days I was driving down Interstate 91 and I was doing 40 MPH, 45 Max. I was slip sliding all over the place, barely keeping the car going in the correct direction, and my car is very good in the snow. But both ways, both days, I was getting passed on the left and right. At times, people would pass me like I was standing still.

That annoys me because if you crash into something and it only involves you, then alright, you were asking for it, But if they crash into someone else, then now, you are effecting someone else too. It's not worth it.

People think that nothing is going to happen, "I'm a good driver. I can handle it.". That is why the police respond to hundreds of accident when it snows, and these accident victims, if there are no injuries, have to wait for 2,3,or 4 hours for the police to get there, sometimes more.

It's not worth it. Their destination is still going to be there, wether they get there in 10 miniutes, or a half hour, , or an hour or two.