Introducing friends to QL

newleaper

Project QL Intern
Jan 23, 2005
Oklahoma
Since my friends have heard me talk non-stop for ages about QL, they've finally decided to let me expose them, well two of them. I'm attempting to pick three episodes that I think would captivate them most. They're both 18 and college freshmen (as am I). They know the basic plot from me so I can skip the pilot (and I think other episodes would be better than the pilot). Here's what I'm thinking of:

What Price Gloria?
MIA
The Leap Back

Would they be able to really appreciate The Leap Back, or will the humor of Al and Sam switching go over their heads? I'm pretty set on the other two, but debating on the last one. I know I want to finish up with something light, since MIA is pretty heavy stuff.

Sure I seem obsessive, but it would be great to get my friends hooked!

Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah,
You could also show: Good Morning, Peoria or Animal Frat. Those two get into the same type of thing and with one being about music and the other being about college kids... It might help. :)

Just trying to help...
MJ

Good Morning Peoria might be a good alternate. I love The Leap Back, but if you don't know Al and Sam as well, I fear a lot of it will be lost.

Maybe I just think too much ;)

Well whatever you do just dont do Double Idenity because that was the one my best friend chose for my first one because she had previously seen the pilot like three times. although I of course loved it, I was confused as hell especially because of the whole Frankie to Gino thing. Or if you do choose it, just make sure you explain to them about Sam's reflection because that's what got me, I thought we were looking at frankie so when he leaped into Gino and looked the same I was like "What the hell? he leaped and he still looks the same, Kristen explain!"

but any others should be fine, although MIA might be too intense for a first episode, I would suggest Color or Truth or Camakazi Kid maybe. Peoria is also good as someone esle suggested. Jimmy would be a good one as well. There are a lot of good ones but ones I dont suggest besides Double Idenity are:

The Boogiem*n
MIA
The Leap Home (both)
Shock Theater
The Leap Back

because all of those are too intense and involved and Shock Theater won't be understood well without the knowledge about the previous episodes referenced.

Leap Back was always my first pic. a little of an introduction of who's who: al acting like sam, sam acting like al. i have introduced ql to many this way.

the my favorite, temptation eyes.

many of my friends liked memphis melody & black and white on fire. i started talking about ql since 1989 though...my college friends learned about it through me in 1999...when we were all 17-21 years old.

Hey Temptation eyes is my fav too laestrella, but it could be a little confusing if they dont undertsand the whole concept of the special cercumstances in which people can see Sam.

its a beautiful episode though, so by all means you can try it.

how about

pilot (to show how it started)

hooneymoon express

killing time

My friends would hate me introducing them to QL...

...but they hate the fact that I babble on and on about it, too...

...so I'm stuck being annoying...lol

I think I annoyed them into giving it a chance. One of them sorta remembers seeing an episode or two and not thinking anything bad about it, so I sure hope.

I was going to go see them on the 20, but circumstance prevents that. I'll have to put it off a week now.

My friends/ family would laugh it off aswell - for some reason whenever it's on they go "Ooh look it's got him who was in that new Star Trek thing and the creepy old guy out of BSG". Also, my sister insists on shouting 'Quantum Leap' in a squealy voice whenever I start trying to convince people to watch it OR I watch it myself - such happy times...:). Annoying is an understatement. The fools!!

No respect. It's why I mostly keep my TV show preferences to myself. I don't think I would show my husband QL even if he asked me to. He would just say "It's a soap opera."

On the other hand, I get the same feeling when he talks to me about baseball. My eyes glaze over and I just want to leave the room. So I don't think there's much point in trying to convince people to like something once they show that they're not interested.

Good thing we have the Internet, or we'd be a lonely bunch of fans!

So I don't think there's much point in trying to convince people to like something once they show that they're not interested.
That's generally my opinion as well. I hate when someone keeps trying to force something on me that I'm not interested in and, keeping that in mind, I make it a point not to do it to others. People will like what they like. We're all different and enjoy different things. It's what makes life interesting.

Snish said:
No respect. It's why I mostly keep my TV show preferences to myself. I don't think I would show my husband QL even if he asked me to. He would just say "It's a soap opera."

Good thing we have the Internet, or we'd be a lonely bunch of fans!

My husband is worse - he won't watch it, but thinks he knows enough to judge it, and calls it "Quantum Weep", thinking he is clever. Grrrrr. :realmad

Even more than that - though I knew he wasn't interested in the series, I hoped he might take some interest in my fanfic writing, just to show some support for his spouse. At first he was indifferent, but when I started getting praise from friends on the Internet he said he would read one.

I was ecstatic!

I printed him off a story.

Imagine how I felt when half an hour later he was using it for scrap paper to write notes about kids who hadn't done their homework!!!

*Sigh

leaper1 said:
My husband is worse - he won't watch it, but thinks he knows enough to judge it, and calls it "Quantum Weep", thinking he is clever. Grrrrr. :realmad

Even more than that - though I knew he wasn't interested in the series, I hoped he might take some interest in my fanfic writing, just to show some support for his spouse. At first he was indifferent, but when I started getting praise from friends on the Internet he said he would read one.

I was ecstatic!

I printed him off a story.

Imagine how I felt when half an hour later he was using it for scrap paper to write notes about kids who hadn't done their homework!!!

*Sigh

Wow, that's cold. (And I'd better not mention the "Quantum Weep" comment to my hubby, because he'll think it's funny and start using it himself.) I'm sure he wasn't trying to be mean, but he just didn't grok how important it is to you. And if he doesn't like the story, it would be hard to take an interest.

jmoniz said:
That's generally my opinion as well. I hate when someone keeps trying to force something on me that I'm not interested in and, keeping that in mind, I make it a point not to do it to others. People will like what they like. We're all different and enjoy different things. It's what makes life interesting.

Are you kidding, how else can you get someone to at least give something a chance. Maybe I am just saying this because my best friend does to me all the time with movies and TV shows (Ql included) and I always end up liking after ALWAYS not being interested yet forcing myself anyway. hehe.

Snish said:
And if he doesn't like the story, it would be hard to take an interest.

Ooops... I meant the *show*, not your story. If he doesn't like the show in the first place, it would be hard to take an interest in your story. I was reading down the posts again and it hit me how that must sound. Sorry!

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Are you kidding, how else can you get someone to at least give something a chance. Maybe I am just saying this because my best friend does to me all the time with movies and TV shows (Ql included) and I always end up liking after ALWAYS not being interested yet forcing myself anyway. hehe.

A lot of it rests in respecting a person's desires and opinions. If I've recommended something to them and explained it and they show no interest or desire to see it, then I have to respect their wishes just as I hope if the situation were reversed my wishes would be respected. I've given in to the badgering of someone who said I just "had to see" a particular TV show or movie. In every case I either ended up switching the TV station because the TV show did nothing for me or ended up walking out of a movie theater or just sleeping the through the movie. We each know what our individual likes and dislikes are and that should be respected.

Hubbies

Fortunately, my husband actually LIKED the TV show (during its original showing and on DVD.) Last year for Christmas, I got Seasons 1 & 2. He even wrote on the gift tag for the Season 1 "To Helen From Scott" (but it was in his handwriting so I was under no illusions to the truth of THAT statement...) For Mother's Day, I got Season 3. For our Anniversary, Season 4 (well...it was an early gift). I would have gotten Season 5 for Christmas if a friend hadn't given it to me for a very belated birthday present!!!!:hurray:

Hubby hadn't read ANY of my fanfic. Course, he doesn't read any fiction (most of his reading has to do with routes up mountains he's planning to climb) so I shouldn't be too torn up over that. I have read him passages and he knows I'm in contact with people regarding stories. He knows that I've written stories that have "aired" on The Virtual Seasons and he's happy for me about that. He knows I post my stories at FanFiction and other places too. He may not like it when I stay up to 3 am (or later) writing or reading but he figures if I enjoy it, okay.:D

I guess in this respect, I'm really quite lucky.:dreaming

well I just thought I might tell you all about the night I got my mom into QL.
It's now been two years. Back then she didn't like shows like QL not even Star Trek TNG. But one night my mom and I going up the Oregon coast (were we live) and our car broke down and we didn't have a lot of money so we had to wait until the next day.
After getting in to our very cheep moltel, we could find anything on the T.V. and so I told her I had my mimmie DVD play and the first season of QL. Well she at first didn't think she would like it and watched it only because there was nothing else.
I am very happy to say that she fell in love with Al and Sam and the whole QL show. We watched four shows that night (being it was only 6:30 when we started) and not I can't keep her from talking about! Ya:D ya. Now my dad well he thinks we "girls" are silly. We like to spend holidays watching Ql and talking about the show. QL has broght my mom and I closer, it somthing we can do together.:hurray: I am blessed!

lol Julie, I turned my mom back on to it as well when I got into it. she had watched some when it first came out but I was three and in bed :p

so when I was watching some of season two (my best friend let me borrow her season two) she comes into my room and asks
"What are you watching"
and I tell her its Ql. and she gets excited.
ok wait no, that happened, but then I was watching my third season on a later date that I bought (at the time it was the only season I owned) and my mom comes in and says "do you still have seasons one and two?"
and nautrally I had JUST returned them to my best friend. but she was coming over the next day so she asks me to get them back as she wants to see them hehe. she currently still needs to see season five though. She saw Nowhere to Run though cuz she got excited about Jennifer Antison (shes a Friends fan, has all ten seasons).

Sam Beckett Fan said:
lol Julie, I turned my mom back on to it as well when I got into it. she had watched some when it first came out but I was three and in bed :p

so when I was watching some of season two (my best friend let me borrow her season two) she comes into my room and asks
"What are you watching"
and I tell her its Ql. and she gets excited.
ok wait no, that happened, but then I was watching my third season on a later date that I bought (at the time it was the only season I owned) and my mom comes in and says "do you still have seasons one and two?"
and nautrally I had JUST returned them to my best friend. but she was coming over the next day so she asks me to get them back as she wants to see them hehe. she currently still needs to see season five though. She saw Nowhere to Run though cuz she got excited about Jennifer Antison (shes a Friends fan, has all ten seasons).

I must say I am so :eek: :eek: :eek: about how bad my spelling was in my last post, so so sorry!!

Anyway, I told my mom that told about the night she fell in love with QL and she says that she might like it here at Al's place. I told her we all would love to have her. So well see...:D .

cool. Yeah my mom is not THAT into it, I wish she was so I would have someone to talk Ql with when my best friend is too busy to be on AIM. it would be cool to have your mom here.

Well I'm sure you would have already shown it to your friends by now, but if it was me I might be a bit wary about showing them What Price, Gloria? If they're not used to the show then seeing some guy running around in a dress and heels and everybody thinking it's completely normal might be a bit scary, haha! Not to mention Al falling for Sam.... I know I'd be a little freaked if it was the first episode I saw, anyway. :D

No I actually haven't shown them, due the ice storm this weekend my date to get up there has been pushed back to probably Feb.

Now I get to overthink the topic even more. They really do know the basic premise of the show, and have even been helping me with my first piece of fanfic (since one writes a lot of fanfic and the other has the best English skills out of anyone I know). So they know the show to an extent since I've had to give several explanations during my writing processes.

Something that might be fun. One of them made a joke about Sam would never leap into Oklahoma because nothing ever goes on here. The town 8 1/2 months is set in is no more than 30 minutes from where they are. I love the episode, but I just don't know.

I don't think What Price Gloria will be a problem for them, although I'm starting to rethink MIA. As much as I love the episode, it may his a little too hard.

Again, I'm totally overthinking this, but I've been stuck in my dormroom for 4 days because of this ice storm...what else do I have to do?

How about starting off with some kind of topic that your friend is interested in?
Let's say, if your friend is interested in music, then show an episode that is based on music. ie - Piano man; Glitter Rock; Good Morning Peoria etc.
Or maybe something with a bit of humour - A Hunting We Will Go.
Or sports - Play Ball .... a lot of people like baseball...

These kinds of episodes aren't controversial or anything, and they're pretty much easy to explain. It's all basically General Interest.