Round Robin Story A

Anthony looked over at Sam and gave him a small smile.

"Anthony, I'm concerned about your injury," Sam blurted out before he could stop himself. Great, now I sound like I can't make him angry, Sam thought to himself.

The kids burst in with several variations of: "Can we go and play at Mrs. Rico's place? Please!"

Overwhelmed by so much enthusiasm, Anthony agreed and asked Sam to call Mrs. Rico. Sam did his best to remember the number Anthony had dialled during the 'chair incident' and succeeded. Soon the kids were safely stored away and Sam had another chance to readjust.

"Are you sure you will be fine working for Mr. Bulyamia?" Sam tried.

"I'm sure a cast won't stop me from taking this opportunity."

This wasn't so bad, Anthony was getting defensive.
"I just wanted to make sure you'll be up to it" Sam probed.

"Why wouldn't I be up to it?" Anthony asked, his face turning hard.

Sam looked up at the ceiling before loooking back at Anthony. Being mean was harder than he thought. "Well, you couldn't bring him his coffee, for one."

"That's a woman's job! Bringing the boss his coffee," Anthony said, standing up.

"But most men have two hands. The ones with one hands usually are reserved for the woman's jobs. Or Mr. Bulyamia felt sorry for you, because you couldn't support your family." Sam hated doing this, but if he thought that it would bring Matina and Anthony closer together in the end, then he supposed he could endure what would come next.

"I can support this family!" Anthony shouted.

"Then you can get Mr. Bulyamia his coffee," Sam said. He felt his stomach tie into a square knot. He hated every second of this. "But you should practice by getting your own coffee first. You have two hands for a reason."

Anthony took a step towards Matina. Sam was beginning to doubt Al's logic, because Anthony looked like he was ready to strike.

"If you say one more word about this..." Anthony replied, his face beet red.

"You'll do what you always do!" Sam started. He got Anthony mad enough, and was afraid that if he kept going down the same road, he would be needing to defend himself against physical attacks. "You'll yell, scream, and then threaten to hit me. Just like a loving husband should do!"

"Matina, I--" Anthony's face darkened with anger.

"Striking a pregnant woman is really manly, isn't it?" Sam snapped.

Anthony now had his fist arched back, ready to hit. However, as Sam was about ready to defend himself from a blow, Anthony stopped. He looked at Matina, or who he thought was Matina, for a moment, with a great deal of anger in his eyes.

"Why did you come in here to taunt me like this?" Anthony asked, his face still red, and Sam knew that Anthony could easily attack soon if he wasn't careful in answering the question.

At the same time he wondered if he should disarm the situation this early. Anthony still didn't understand that he was wrong, he would blame Matina for his anger and not look in himself for his reaction. If Anthony would commit to his attack, Sam knew what to do.

Sam had rarely felt this cornered by a single person, was this how Matina felt? Maintaining eye contact, Sam felt them watering, nontheless he was as ready as he would be and relaxed to move swiftly.

"Sometimes it feels that all you ever do is taunt me."
years of Matina's frustration seemed to power those words, Sam would later conclude.

"Stop it!"
Anthony shouted and part of it was a plead.

"it's your fault, you're eating everything in until it explodes and I have to put up with it! I've had it!" Sam pressed on, and felt every right to do so, even though he knew he was hurting Anthony.

To Anthony's credit he was still somehow holding back.

Sam chose the moment. He averted his eyes of Anthony for just long enough to upset the power balance.

"Just Stop it!!"
With that Anthony moved, and so did Sam. Foward, safely sidestepping past the fist that was still aiming at the spot where Sam had been.

While Anthony had lounged himself into the move, Sam had a hold of him, like a sideways embrace around Anthony's neck and shoulder. Which he held genly but firmly, his head pressed against Anthony's keeping him pinned, as the man struggled against the unexpected restraint. Keeping it up, he waited Anthony out and they ended up on their knees, as Anthony's breath began to settle and Sam softened the hold.

"What am I... what am I doing?" Anthony began holding 'his wife' in turn... weakly, slightly trembling "What's wrong with me?"

I hope this works for everyone :)

"I--I--" Anthony sputtered as realization began to dawn on him. "I almost hit you! Oh God, I almost struck my wife!" A blush of shame began to crawl across Anthony's face.

This was where Sam had to break the cycle. Up to this point, history was just repeating itself. Matina made Anthony mad, and then Anthony would hit Matina, and then Anthony would go down a guilt spiral. Sam had avoid injury, but that was not going to avoid the guilt that Anthony was now feeling. Sam had to plan what he said carefully, as not to make Anthony feel more sorry for himself.

"I'm so sorry, Matina!" Anthony cried, while Sam released his grip on him. He was sure that Anthony wasn't going to attack again. Even if he did, Sam could take the one-armed assailant. After all, Sam didn't think he could have an emotional conversation like this while pinning down Matina's husband. He sat up, and looked Anthony straight in the eye, to ensure a bond between them.

Just need a few more contributors in here, and if no one puts another twist in the plot, then I guess the leap will happen. :D

Then, of course, I can start Round Robin B. If anybody's up for another round of this, that this. Just please let me start a second Round Robin B posting, since I love doing this so much.

I'm glad to har that, Errowyn. I'm curious where that story will be going.

Anyways, the ball's in someone else's court now for the next segment of the story.

jassian said:
can I write the Leap-out? :D

Of course you can. But you'll have to make sure that the next story posting is rather long, because there's a bit more left. I promise I won't write the leap-out if you would like to do it, but I can't extend that guarantee to other people, due to the nature of Round Robins. However, I would love to read what ending you have in store for Sam. :eek :help :)

ohboy said:
Of course you can. But you'll have to make sure that the next story posting is rather long, because there's a bit more left. I promise I won't write the leap-out if you would like to do it, but I can't extend that guarantee to other people, due to the nature of Round Robins. However, I would love to read what ending you have in store for Sam. :eek :help :)

Ah I see, here I was thinking that it would be rather sudden. Like the moment of realization was exactly what needed to be changed and off Sam goes. if you want anything else fixed first, I'm happy to wait or let someone else write it. :) I can't think of a more drawn out ending right now.

Alright. I don't know what the ending is going to be, because if I was dictating how the story would end, it wouldn't be a communal ending. I just assumed that there would be more. If you would like to end the story in a sudden fashion, then go for it!

Tomorrow will be a week from when I last posted a story contribution, so if no one responds, and the story doesn't end, I'm going to add a new part tomorrow.

found a more explicit ending after all :) hope you like it.

Ensuring they were in tune with each other, Sam waited until he had Anthony’s attention. He found himself clearing out a tear from Anthony’s cheek, Matina’s affection for her husband merging with Sam’s humanity.

Anthony struggled to look his wife in the eye. In this moment he had lost his self-respect, felt that he had no right to look at her, no right to breath. Raising his eyes, he would have been relieved to find a fury about to burn him to the ground. He had lost his self-respect long ago, which was why he’d fought so hard to keep up the resemblance of it. But who was he fooling, he couldn’t even protect his own wife, not even from himself. And she… she didn’t hate him for it.

“It hurts, doesn’t it?” Sam asked and felt it was true, and Anthony swallowed and nodded.
Sam held the silence.

“I hate this” Anthony confessed. Still seeing no accusation, and for a change no fear in his wife’s eyes, he carefully reached out to touch her head expecting her to back off. She did for a second, but held the eye-contact. Why had it taken him so long to realize how strong Matina was? She was his angel, always had been. And Anthony himself... was lost.
“Please, help me.”

Sam fought feeling awkward, focusing on helping Anthony.
“I can’t, but we can find someone who can.” Sam saw Anthony flinch with the implication. “Do you want to go on like this?”

“No!” this reply came so quickly, it startled Anthony as he said it.
“…no.” Nothing she would suggest would be as bad as these moments, and he wanted them to stop. And there suddenly was hope. A way that she could see that he couldn’t “I’ll do whatever you suggest”

Sam smiled, and felt this reality beginning to dissolve. Sam held on a few heartbeats longer. He didn’t need Al to tell him that there was hope. There was a lot of work ahead, and it would be hard on them both and perhaps Anthony was not yet ready to be a husband and father, but having averted this getting out of control, Sam felt Anthony would start healing, and so would Matina.

The touch and Sam’s hearing and vision began to lose consistency, all his senses faded in a familiar way leaving a faint impresion of blue and the isolated sensation of just Being. The only awereness remaining: the core the self he was and a sense of accomplishment. Nothing else.

Congratulations!

Well, the story for Round Robin A is now finished! At the time of this posting, we've received 2,242 views. :) Hopefully, that was more than just the writers. :roflmao: Anyways, this was wonderful, and I can't wait to start Round Robin B, which I will create the thread for tomorrow.

If anybody's curious, this story ran from 7/18 to 11/24.

Anyways, a big thank you to the following:
===========================================================
Sam's Crow: You did a lot of postings in the beginning, kicking off the story, and throughout the middle. I hope that you particpate in Round Robin B. Your creativity is appreciated.

Sherdren: You may have only posted once, but you set the entire premise for the story. Thank you for the important posting!

Aurora Illusions: I loved hearing all the nice things you had to say about the story along the way. I hope you enjoyed the ride along, and the ending especially.

Deelicious: Thank you for your contribution to the story.

Errowyn: You started about half-way into the Round Robin, and kept it up through the end. Thank you for every last contribution.

Jassian: Thank you for all the postings throughout, and for the wonderful ending.

leapter1: Your advice that helped throughout a particular portion of the story was much appreciated.

Chicken Boo: Thank you for your contribution to the story.

The Readers: Enough said there.
===========================================================
I don't think I forgot anyone, but please tell me if I did.

Finally, I copied/pasted the entire story into a word document, which is being attached to this post. It is not at all a polished draft, but me quickly copying everything to a word document. This is for those who want the story, but not the conversational pieces that were in the thread. If someone would like to "pretty" the word document, feel free to.

With that, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed. I had a lot of fun, and I hope to see you all, and more, in the next Round Robin. I'd also love to hear how other people liked it, be it a PM or a reply to this thread.

Attachments

• Round Robin A.doc
    143 KB · Views: 34