Quantum Leap on ION!

I think I'm going to be recording some of these episodes now that I can finally do it on DVD. There are a lot of episodes I've only watched once on the Universal DVDs because of the music issues and I didn't want to taint my original memories of the episodes. I'd rather deal with the time edits and commercials if it means the music is back!

qlnut: be careful, i was devastated last night when i saw the interlude of commercials for drew carey show...during the ending credits last night. :( let me cry now. i wish i saw "not like me" scene. i love it when sam yells al has a hangover. my best friend always seemed to do that to me too when i had a hangover, as she said, "i sam-med you." (touched me in the chest and yelled)

alsplacebartender said:
I finally discovered that I do have the ION channel after all last night as I was flipping channels and came across Genesis. But was it me, or was the film quality very poor and the sound was slightly off?

I caught about the last half hour but was on the phone and wasn't paying much attention. I didn't notice any problems with the audio and the picture quality looked like average syndication to me.

Keep in mind that these networks don't show the digitally remastered Universal DVD versions. Maybe you've been used to watching the episodes on DVD and when you finally saw the show again on TV, it looks worse than what you remember?

Perhaps it was just my station.

Here is a great thing:

Reps from ION actually visit this forum! A nice lady from ION emailed me today saying she read on this forum that I had a problem and wanted to check on it.

My jaw dropped. A network that actually takes the time to see what is being said about their programming!

Thank you ION!

We love that Quantum is back on TV and hope you'll keep showing it for a long while. With a movie now in the early talking stages with Universal, it's one step closer to bringing the series back in some form.

Thank you!

ion is ok

brian:

the boston affiliate station wasn't all that great quality for genesis but star crossed was better. the video was lots clearer...i could see all of scott's chest hairs and teri hatcher's face. jennifer runyon's (peg) face was slightly blurrier similar to the quality grade of the videotape of genesis when it first came out. it was quite quiet during the tom stratton leap but once he was ken fox it improved. i thought it was just me too!

Brian,

That's awesome that folks from ION are interested in what us fans have to say. Wonderful!

About the quality of the shows: Keep in mind that the quality of reruns varies from station to station across the country. The signal from ION is (I’m sure) top notch via satellite, but it really comes down to how good the transmitter is at the local switch. Then you have to take into account how much digital compression (if any) your local cable provider slaps on the signal.

This is just one of many reasons why HD will be a great upgrade next year. No more old fashioned UHF/VHF frequencies!

Peace,

Chris

Hmm...so I was watching "Play It Again, Seymour" just now and noticed that the leap-out was for "Honeymoon Express" instead of "What Price Gloria?" which it originally was. Seems the ION network took the time to correct the leap-outs.

Hi, folks! I know, long time no write.

I caught the reruns completely by accident on the very first night they started airing! It was so cool to see QL back on a daily rerun schedule again. And on free TV no less! It hasn't been on free TV for 15 years. I hope this gives people a chance to rediscover it, like what happened to Star Trek in syndication in the '70s!

For those who might be looking for it in your area, ION is the same station that was formerly known as PAX TV. That's channel 38 in the Chicagoland area.

About the quality of the episodes: yeah, Genesis looked really rough. And I was watching it on my parents' cable, so I don't think it was the signal. I have a friend who's been taping "The Monkees" (another favorite show of ours whenever a new episode ends up on Comcast On Demand. Some of the episodes look better than anything we've ever seen before, even on the DVDs. Some of them look worse than anything we've seen before, too! It seems that Sony has just collected a random helter-skelter collection of the episodes from multiple sources, rather than pulling from the DVDs (which in this case are owned by Rhino Records rather than Sony, which might have something to do with it). Something similar might be happening with QL. But hey, I'm glad the nice folks at ION are looking into it! :)

Hmm...so I was watching "Play It Again, Seymour" just now and noticed that the leap-out was for "Honeymoon Express" instead of "What Price Gloria?" which it originally was. Seems the ION network took the time to correct the leap-outs.

I don't think it's a matter of correcting them so much as their copies of the episodes were the ones that had those particular leap-outs in the first place. Still, I'm glad it's the proper sequential order rather than what the DVDs have.

Wrong Arturo said:
I don't think it's a matter of correcting them so much as their copies of the episodes were the ones that had those particular leap-outs in the first place. Still, I'm glad it's the proper sequential order rather than what the DVDs have.

I agree that they were probably "hand-me-down" episodes from another network who did the correcting.

As for the quality in "Genesis," perhaps it was originally filmed with the possibility that it could be a one-time movie, with no guarantee of a subsequent series? I think I remember reading here also that the pilot epsiode wasn't even titled "Genesis" until syndication, but I could be wrong.

Quick question. Do you know if ION would inform you about rather or not Quantum Leap would survive the next bout of changing the season lineup? I only ask because I haven't seen the entire series before, and I wanted to watch them all on television before DVD. Plus, I remember that an ION representative came along, and I don't know if she would keep in contact like that.

Thank you.

I think what ohboy means is that ION Television is coming out with a new fall lineup and was wondering if QL will still be on.
Bonnie

marie1439 said:
I think what ohboy means is that ION Television is coming out with a new fall lineup and was wondering if QL will still be on.
Bonnie
Actually, that is what I was asking. Sometimes I get a little to roundabout with my postings, and that makes the original question too confusing to pull out. Sorry about that :eek:. Thanks Marie.

I know that the administration would have no power over the scheduling at ION, but I didn't know if one of the representatives would tell you if the show stays or not.

alsplacebartender said:
Well, this can't be good.

:( Well, all I know is that to this day, August 18th, there are 21 more days until they change their schedule. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes on the T.V. guide. I hope they keep it...

After watching the network for two years, there is one factor that might keep the show on the air. It hasn't made a full run through, and most shows on that network don't get the axe until after they made at least one complete loop.

Good evening everyone. I watch quantum leap on ion television and wanted to know if they will continue the show when they get new shows for fall? they have this promotion about a whole new station and look.
thank you

Good evening everyone. I was wondering myself if Quantum leap will be in the fall lineup on ion television.
I hope so.

ohboy said:
Actually, that is what I was asking. Sometimes I get a little to roundabout with my postings, and that makes the original question too confusing to pull out. Sorry about that :eek:. Thanks Marie.

I know that the administration would have no power over the scheduling at ION, but I didn't know if one of the representatives would tell you if the show stays or not.

CynthialovesQuantumLeap said:
Good evening everyone. I watch quantum leap on ion television and wanted to know if they will continue the show when they get new shows for fall? they have this promotion about a whole new station and look.
thank you

..I hate to break this to you but it got canceled some time ago, CynthialovesQuantumLeap :( .

systemcat said:
..I hate to break this to you but it got canceled some time ago, CynthialovesQuantumLeap :( .

Are you referring to the show making new episodes, or the show staying on ION. I believe that Cynthia was talking about hoping the show staying on ION, and the fact that the station is trying to develop a whole new image.

Good evening everyone. Just to clarify I was hoping that QL would stay on the iontv lineup this fall.:angel

ohboy said:
Are you referring to the show making new episodes, or the show staying on ION. I believe that Cynthia was talking about hoping the show staying on ION, and the fact that the station is trying to develop a whole new image.

I noticed last night that ION skipped 5 episodes. They went from Hurricane to A Single Drop of Rain. Justice should have been the next one. Not sure if this is any indication of their future plans or not.
Bonnie

I remember them skipping an episode back in Season 2. I forget what it was called, but it was the one where Sam originally was dressed like a disco dancer at the beginning.

But five episodes. Nothing good appears to be coming from that...

marie1439 said:
Watching tonight it seems like they just skipped Justice for some reason.
I'm in the UK so I have no experience of ION channel, but I do know that sometimes over here certain channels have missed out what they consider to be the more 'controversial' episodes, especially when they are airing them before the 9pm watershed.
This may be why ION passed over "Justice".