Wikipedia Article... A Bold Leap Forward

Rio_Redman

Project QL Intern
Jun 6, 2006
Hello all. First, let me send out a big THANK YOU to this site. It's by far the best fan site of ANY show! I, like the rest of you, want very much for the 'Bold Leap Forward' telefilm to be produced. I came across an article on Wikipedia that says:

"Callaway has since left the project, but has completed a two hour script for the Sci Fi Channel is reportedly still in active development."

You can check out the full article at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bold_Leap_Forward

I know anyone can edit Wiki articles, but it looks like our hopes for more leaping is starting to fade!

We have been aware that Trey has left the project for sometime. I understand that Donald P. Bellisario was not too happy with the direction of the new script. Apparently he liked the concept, but the reality of it didn't work out.

However, it is said that Donald will now be working on the script himself for Bold Leap Forward, but that may take sometime as Donald has several other projects on the go at the moment.

Actually, I'm not sure Don was unhappy with the script. Here's words directly from Trey's mouth:

Indeed, my biggest goal in writing it (the script) was to preserve the humor and the heart of the original series - while trying to kick things up a notch for a two hour relaunch. I'm still proud of it - and I know Sci Fi was very happy with the script. In fact, they were telling me to clear my calendar for an Australian shoot within a few days of delivering it. But Mr. Bellisario - who told me himself how pleased he was after reading it - then unexpectedly put a lid on any further development of the project shortly thereafter. Honestly, I still have profound respect for the man - and frankly, would've kissed his ring over Magnum P.I. alone, not to mention Quantum Leap - but candidly, I'm still a bit confused by the whole thing. Of course, Hollywood is legendary for its confusion.

Where did you hear that Don was working on his own script?

tina_als_girl said:
Yeah, me too, but at least we know that it's always possible for QL to show up because of Hollywood's fascination with older TV shows.

Joy

I don't think it's so much a fascination as it's the fact that Hollywood's been completely out of ideas for movies. But are we talking a big screen remake or the original "made for TV" movie? This is one case where I'd rather see it on television than on the big screen. I think there would be too many drastic changes to the franchise to appeal to a wider audience if it were on the big screen. And I think I'd hate seeing A-listers taking over the roles as well, which could end up happening. While a television movie would no doubt have a smaller budget, I think it's much more important to have a quality script.

tina_als_girl said:
Yeah, me too, but at least we know that it's always possible for QL to show up because of Hollywood's fascination with older TV shows.

Joy

:hmm With the new Knight Rider and Miami Vice movies entering the scene it shouldn't be long before they dig for QL for money, with the DVD sales and general continuing popularity of the show it's definitely possible. Let's just hope it's soon.

Also, I agree that although the big budget of a movie would help for better effects and more extravegant sets to help set the scene, but the script and the actors count much more than that, without Scott and Dean it just wouldn't be Quantum Leap.

I'm in agreement here; I'd much rather see a made-for-TV movie with the original actors than some glamorous theatrical remake with A-listers that I probably don't like. I can't see them making a big screen QL with the original actors; they'd want to attract a young new audience, and would need 'hip' actors. I think the only way I'd tolerate a QL that doesn't feature the original actors is if they went with the daughter trying to rescue Sam scenario - and even then, I'd want Scott and Dean in some sort of role!

i wouldnt tolorate different actors at all, the original actors are 'hip' to me, they're awsome. i never did like the whole Sammy Jo thing anyway. :p

I don't even see how they could make a big budget film. If you think about the concept of the show it couldn't work. There's too much going on to be explained in a 2 hour film.Maybe good for about 2 leaps and then what? Look at the 1st season for example. It took a few episodes to really explain itself and catch on. Probly why it was almost cancled. Thank god for the fans.

Hollywood right now has a track record of remaking TV shows for the big screen. Examples that immediately come to mind are "Starsky & Hutch", "Bewitched", "The Dukes of Hazzard", "S.W.A.T.", and "The Honeymooners". I'm not going to neccessarily say these have been highly thought out plans or successful, just that they have been done and it seems to be a direction Hollywood is leaning toward lately.

Well, I kind of think Quantum Leap is meant to be a series, not a movie. The concept was absolutely perfect for a television series and allowed endless room for ideas. There were more well thought out ideas in that series alone than what Hollywood's been able to come up with in the last five years. In a 2-hour movie, I'm not so sure anyone new to QL could grasp the full effect as watching it as a series. Maybe it's just taking too long but there's a part of me that's a little content remembering the franchise as it was left...

QL Nut said:
Well, I kind of think Quantum Leap is meant to be a series, not a movie. The concept was absolutely perfect for a television series and allowed endless room for ideas. There were more well thought out ideas in that series alone than what Hollywood's been able to come up with in the last five years. In a 2-hour movie, I'm not so sure anyone new to QL could grasp the full effect as watching it as a series. Maybe it's just taking too long but there's a part of me that's a little content remembering the franchise as it was left...

I agree with you. New show/movie or not I will always have the wonderfull original.