We are now incorporated!

Congratulations on leaping that hurdle! (No pun intended.) I know how difficult and expensive incorporating a non-profit is, as I am the Public Information Officer for an emergency communications group that is trying to incorporate, as well. It's not easy, nor is it cheap.

alsplacebartender said:
Just wanted to drop a note and say that we are now The Leap Back 2009, Inc., a non-profit corporation behind the convention. It's official!

Congratulations!

You guys rock! :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Actually, it was sort of easy and cheap for the five of us on the committee. :) We have the assistance of two awesome attorneys who are donating their time and talents for the good of the event. I think it's a tribute to what QL is/was that so many people have stepped up to say "Yes, I'll help!" for the ultimate benefit of Starlight Starbright.

Although, it's a good thing the con is still a ways away, because we've got a TON more to do. (Eek.)

CarolD said:
Actually, it was sort of easy and cheap for the five of us on the committee. :) We have the assistance of two awesome attorneys who are donating their time and talents for the good of the event.

Holy mackerel... attorneys who will give pro bono time for a fan convention? Are you sure one of them isn't really Sam Beckett? :D

Snish said:
Holy mackerel... attorneys who will give pro bono time for a fan convention? Are you sure one of them isn't really Sam Beckett? :D

Lol ooh, could be huh?
hehe congrats Comittee I know you have worked hard I am glad it was worth it in the end. :)

hehe congrats Comittee I know you have worked hard I am glad it was worth it in the end.

The end? We've got a loooooong way to go. The serious work has barely begun. (Eek.)

Forgive me for being naive, but why is this good? I'm assuming from your enthusiasm that this is good for the convention, and I'm curious how being incorporated helps.

We're incorporated as a non-profit, so none of the five of us has to worry about the IRS showing up at our door to ask about the beaucoup bucks we hope to pull in for the charity. The gals who did the LeapCons in '94, '95 and '96 were also incorporated. I'd NEVER do anything of this magnitude without being set up this way -- there's too much potential muck and liability.