Nervous about meeting Scott...

Avilos

Project QL Intern
Nov 22, 2008
Wisconsin
www.facebook.com
Yes I will admit it!

Scott Bakula is one of my all time favorite actors. I been to a few conventions before. I always debate about how much to say to the actors when you get autographs. I think its rude to say nothing or very little. As if the signature is more important than actually meeting the person. But you also don't want to go on and on and on gushing over them either!!!! Lines are long and everyone that weekend will feel similar. Especially that weekend with a convention full of fellow Leapers.

Last edited:
I've never had this problem, since I've never met anyone famous (though one member of my family met John McCain at a party about ten years or so ago, and he had a flag flown over the White House for my birthday that I now have displayed), but you could just say something like:

"Thank you very much. I loved your acting in Quantum Leap."

You can probably then gauge what to do based on his reactions and responses. Good luck!

I have the same problem. Here, in Israel, we don't get that many famous people from abroad (but even to our own local celebs)... I don't knowwhat to say. I get so nervous.
Like, 3 years ago, we had Claudia Christine & I was speechless. I did an interview with her, I have dinner with her (with other people) but one on one, without the help of others or written words I was like... "umm, umm, umm.." like a silly schoolgirl.
A frind of mine, who has a lot of Con time experience told me to just be myself... but "myself" is a silly schoolgirl who is star strucked :p

I think I'll try & remember your advice, ohboy, & see hwat happens then.
:)

if that helps, my conversation with Terry Pratchett consisted of:

me: "Thanks for all the good writing." which was really what I wanted to say
Terry: "Thanks for all the money."
upon which I stumbly managed something along the lines of
"I think I got the better end of that deal."

The guy's so quick witted, it's unreal *L*.

Maybe it helps changing your point of view:
You've created something that a lot of people love and they come to see you, they even want autographs. There's a whole line of them!
(Come to think of it I'd be really nervous!)
I think you might like to hear what they think and liked or maybe even something that wasn't quite right (would maybe be different from person to person, though) sounds to me like it's part of the fun.

I mean Scott did everyone a huge favor by doing such good work. So letting him know it's appreciated seems a bit like returning some of it.
Would that make you less nervous? :D

jassian said:
Would that make you less nervous? :D

actually... not really :b

See, I love Scott not only from QL, but also from Enterprise & many other stuff he did.
I've naver had the chance in seeing him in person (like many of my abroad favorite actors).

I suppose that when I'll get to the moment of truth, I'll probably say something like: "I love your acting" or get my friend to help me to come up with a question (she's good with these kinda of stuff), that won't make me out as a real dork or a silly schoolgirl :D

Though there's a perfectly good chance that I'd black out at the exact moment I'm in front of Scoot (or Dean or any of the other actors, mind you)...

I guess there's no point inworrying about this 4 months in advance, right?
:cheers

Wow only 4 months to wait now. I remember having to wait 18 months just for tickets to go on sale and then another 12 months for the convention.

This is the longest 30 month wait I have ever had, can't believe there is only 4 more to go!

Ezilzha said:
I guess there's no point inworrying about this 4 months in advance, right?
:cheers

Don't know, just wondering if you won't make yourself more worried by worrying? Do I make sense? :)
I'm really just making this up as I go, but if anything helps let me know.

And actually, I think it's perfectly fine to be tongue tied sometimes, everyone has things, people or situations that make them nervous, no need to hide it. Doesn't mean you're a dork or silly. :b :nut
So on the day you may be singing a sonnet about how well they did in the numerous shows you saw them in, or stand there and look petrified, or something in between. So what? You're human, and so are they. Probably happened to each of them too on occasion. I mean you could probably even say "sorry, feeling a bit silly" and grin. "... anyway what I was trying to say..."

If there's really something you want to say, why don't you decide in advance what it is, not even how to say it yet, but what's the essence of what you want to achieve. Keeping your mind on that may help. So would taking a breath... strangely the body sometimes forgets to breathe. :wacko

:)

jassian said:
if that helps, my conversation with Terry Pratchett consisted of:

me: "Thanks for all the good writing." which was really what I wanted to say
Terry: "Thanks for all the money."
upon which I stumbly managed something along the lines of
"I think I got the better end of that deal."

The guy's so quick witted, it's unreal *L*.

Well.... quick-witted, yes, but it's honestly not a very friendly thing to say! And your comeback was very good. It's also true that celebrities are just people, and they don't necessarily know the right thing to say back to us either.

Most of us may never have met a celebrity, or maybe one or two (I live in the US, but believe me, there are no celebrities in my neighborhood), but remember that all of the actors at the con have met many fans. They won't be surprised if we're geeky, gushy, or shy. I'm certain Scott and Dean and many others will be nice about it and try to make sure that we have a good experience meeting them.

Even so... I'm going to do my darnedest to present myself as a sane, responsible, coherent adult... :D yeah, right.

ris768 said:
Wow only 4 months to wait now. I remember having to wait 18 months just for tickets to go on sale and then another 12 months for the convention.

This is the longest 30 month wait I have ever had, can't believe there is only 4 more to go!

Oh, I hear ya. I joined this board about two years ago when they were just starting to talk about the con. I can't believe it's been two years already!

Snish said:
Well.... quick-witted, yes, but it's honestly not a very friendly thing to say!

oh don't worry the subtext of this conversation was all good humored. More in the sense of 'I'm glad you like it enough to pay me for it.' :)

Well, I personally don't believe in 'celebrities'. Or rather the concept of it. Some people create amazing work that they deverve being thanked and recognized for. That's great. And some are known by very many people who enjoy what they do. That's great, too. They may become inspirations or role models. Nothing wrong with that. But they are still like anybody else, in a good way. The perception that a person is 'larger than life' kinda throws me a bit.

If I had the chance to go to the convention , yes, i would very much like to thank Scott and Dean and so many of the others for their great work and ask a few questions given the chance. I'd want to learn from them, as they defintely are among my acting role models. If there was an impromtu workshop I'd be the first to sign up. And I'd want to thank all of the production crew who did such amazing work and learn from them too if I could. At the same time I'd be pretty much as excited about meeting people from the forum and others who love the Quantum Leap story. And that would be just as amazing. Pretty much saying: You're all really cool !8) And don't worry. ;)

I totally went to pieces when I met Dean, despite having in mind what I wanted to say. I actually wrote part of it, but wished I'd done that in advance cos I was so nervous my writing was even more awful than normal.

I met him on day 4 of a 4 day event, and figured he'd be bored stiff of signing photos by then.

So I was very cheeky. I took two copies of one of my fanfics and said "If I sign one for you, will you sign one for me?"

I signed "To Dean, whom I admire as an actor and as an individual" Corny eh?

He loved that I'd done something original!
Especially since I'd printed it on the back of reject paper from the work's printer, as he is a passionate environmentalist.
He asked me where he should sign and I stammered 'anywhere'. Then he noticed I'd had the cover laminated and said it would smudge on that so he should sign elsewhere. Again I stammered 'anywhere'. Very coherent and intelligent! NOT. Then I got even more flustered, since my camera - which had new batteries that morning and had tested fine on arrival - decided to die on me.
I must have looked really stupid to him, but he smiled and I was really glad I'd had the chance to meet him.

Would I do it different next time? Sure..
It was still an encounter I'll treasure the memory of, however embarrassing.

jassian said:
Well, I personally don't believe in 'celebrities'. Or rather the concept of it. Some people create amazing work that they deverve being thanked and recognized for. That's great. And some are known by very many people who enjoy what they do. That's great, too. They may become inspirations or role models. Nothing wrong with that. But they are still like anybody else, in a good way. The perception that a person is 'larger than life' kinda throws me a bit.

I agree, but unfortunately, most of us have these perceptions that certain people are special. It's hard to shake that when you're face to face with one of them, even though you know that they're just people too.

Helen's story is hilarious and totally struck a chord with me. I met Dean Stockwell too, and I had camera trouble too (Dean very graciously posed for photos with me twice), and I had planned in advance some things I wanted to say and forgot all of them! I was totally brain-dead, but he was a sweetheart. So, I just hope I do better next time.

You know, I'm even thinking if it turns out really hillarious, that will make for a really cool story to tell, like Helens *L*

And I'm not saying that I wouldn't freeze up, I guess I'd just be fine with it. ;)

I've talked to a few people in my life that I found made me nervous or intimidated me (in an inspirational way) for some reason. So the approach of focussing on what you really-really want to say helped for me.

What I mean is not so much deciding on what you say but focus on what you want to get across. Don't leave any attention on yourself, but only on what you really mean and the person in front of you. Might not sound like it, but it will make you less nervous. (that's what you do in a scene and it works every time) You'll probably be observing yourself talking, and maybe sounding a bit shy, which is fine, the more you accept that you may be shy, the less shy you'll be. If you decide to put on a show of being all confident, that's more likely to turn out odd. Which again, is fine :)

it's a win-win situation guys, freeze up and get a funny annectode or be all relaxed and get your point across.:hurray:

Ezilzha said:
you know, you guys don't give a girl a lot of hope there.... :p

Awwww... I didn't mean to make it more scary than it already is! Don't worry about it. Try to plan in advance something to say, a little compliment or thanks, but don't obsess over it. Relax and have fun. The guests will be nice to you, I'm sure of that.

Though it's been a long time since it happened, I've met Scott Bakula, and he is as nice and personal and genuine as he appears on TV or, for those fortunate enough to have seen, on stage. So just relax and enjoy meeting this wonderful actor and person. I wouldn't trade my memories of looking into those green eyes for a second.

Eleiece K.

Sherdran said:
Though it's been a long time since it happened, I've met Scott Bakula, and he is as nice and personal and genuine as he appears on TV or, for those fortunate enough to have seen, on stage. So just relax and enjoy meeting this wonderful actor and person. I wouldn't trade my memories of looking into those green eyes for a second.

Eleiece K.
I agree with you Eleice, and thank you for saying that. I am so nervous and excited I could bust.
I have never met a famous person in my life. And to meet him is like meeting someone that I admire and think is cool.
I will though write something down on paper in case of freezing up or the my brain goes swiss cheese.

Scott has a way of making you relax...its hard to put it into words...he just has a "calming presence" I used to practice what I was going to say before I'd see him. It really helped...
Now, fortunately I can actually talk to him without rehearsing it over and over again in my head.

Thanks for the responses!

Reading them makes me think some of you are FAR more nervous than I am... ; )

Nervous may have been the wrong word for me. Maybe anxious is better. Everything I had read a about him says he is a real down to Earth guy. A rarity in Hollywood. I am big fan of his from both Quantum Leap and Enterprise.

In fact I won an autograph from him in a contest through UPN during Enterprise's 3rd. It was called "The Journey the Expanse" contest. I answered a series a questions on the official Star Trek site.

I think I was a second or third place winner. They said I won an autograph from "An Enterprise cast member" with out any indications about who it would be. When a few weeks later it arrived and I saw it was from Scott himself... I WAS THRILLED!

IMG_1044.jpg

Last edited:
I think Lisa' response of 'practicing' is a great idea. I'd also suggest, as others have, that you write down on paper what you'd like to say. You may not need it but it can be a good 'anchor' and confidence builder (though don't be surprised if you find yourself stammering just bit when readng it aloud <G>).

One friend, on meeting Scott for the first time, burst into tears (not that uncommon, btw!). Scott was so gentle and nurturing and understanding. He started teasing her until she laughed and felt better. He also gave her a great hug....

In other words, LOTS of folks get nervous meeting him and he totally gets it.

The only real problem is that the memory of meeting him (what you said; what he said) has a tendency to fly right out of your head the moment you walk away so hopefully, you'll have a friend close enough who can recount what went on <G>!

BTW....who announced that Scott wasn't signing?? Not us!

hjkapl said:
BTW....who announced that Scott wasn't signing?? Not us!

I was wondering about that!!! I looked over the Q&A and saw no mention of that.

Its just not his style to appear and not sign. Of course there may be some restrictions on the number of signatures per person. Otherwise he would be there for weeks!!! That is just speculation on my part. But it is common with these cons. Some people bring a pile of pictures they want signed. Not caring how rude that is to the celebrity or to the many people waiting behind them

Avilos said:
Its just not his style to appear and not sign. Of course there may be some restrictions on the number of signatures per person. Otherwise he would be there for weeks!!! That is just speculation on my part. But it is common with these cons. Some people bring a pile of pictures they want signed. Not caring how rude that is to the celebrity or to the many people waiting behind them

I've never been to a con, so I don't know how these things go, but if people are likely to bring multiple items expecting to get them signed, I think it would be quite appropriate to set a limit. I would figure that anyone who's asking for more than one is probably going to sell the additional ones. I don't think any of the guests should be asked to sign things just to raise their resale value. For Scott or Dean to give just one signature to everyone who wants one at this con would take hours, so it will be generous of them if they're willing to sign at all.

I was terrified when I met Dean 3.5 years ago, but two things kept me going...regret is worse than not trying; and I was tired from travelling for 6 hours. I had no idea on what to expect and he was so so sweet. I remember afterwards I shed a couple of tears when I walked away. I also kept bumpping into him most of the day. First at the signing event, then outside a pub having one of his cigars ( :) ), then at the talk, and finally after the talk. When I saw him outside the pub he actually asked me to join him, in which I was totally taken aback, I mean I drive by in a mobility scooter and I didn't even notice him until my mum yelled me to do a u-turn.

My only worry is that Scott will think I'm only 20. <sighs> Someone going to i.d me everywhere I go. I'm almost 30 and people only think I'm a child. It's embarassing. But I'm worried I'll faint or go totally catatonic when I meet him!

I understand about being nervous Janna, I am nervous about meeting both of them and I have something to Say to Scott about how the song that he did in Pool hall blues got me through when my eighty nine year old mother was in the hospital last year. I can't tell that story to him like I was on beat the clock the old game show.
I hope I can tell it as fast as I can.
That is one of the reason I am flying 3,000 miles and as nervous about flying as I am this is important to me.
And as for meeting Dean oy vey as Sam said in thou shall not I feel like I will get the giggles if I meet him.
What emotions.

Meeting our heroes

Aw you poor ol' possums!
I've met quite a lot of sci-fi celebrities over the years but will never forget the first one, Tom Baker (the fourth Doctor Who) in 1979. I was totally besotted at the time, and nervous as hell. But on the way came the thought "he's only a bloke who does his job well". And from then on I was fine, and didn't pass out with passion at all. (that came later by way of delayed action after I realised that I'd met him at last!). I met Scotto at Star Trek's 40th. in 2006, and am coming from the ends of the earth to see him again. I treasure those few minutes at the photo op, and can tell you that he's a real gentleman and not to be shy. I have learnt that they're happier to be treated as a person and not a celebrity. You can always fall in a heap when they've left the building.;)
In 2003 my mates and I had a segment in a documentary, Trekkies 2. We were making absolute dogs of ourselves over Connor Trinneer. We didn't know they would contact his agent, and get his reaction to all these demented Australian women waffling on about him. (whereupon we all died of shame!) The following year, just prior to its release, I went to a con in London. Imagine my surprise when Dominic Keating rocks up and says "how come you prefer Connor to me?" And he hasn't stopped stirring me at subsequent conventions. So if it's any help, a few minutes of small talk with good eye contact- with the knowledge that they are probably feeling more vulnerable than you and me- will ensure a pleasant "close encounter". If you can resist the urge to talk about your own personal details and they decide to initiate the conversation in that direction, consider it a bonus. But I reckon any actor would appreciate a heartwarming story like the one in the previous post. Good luck.

Actually...

I just remind myself of this: He's just like me. He puts his pants on the same way I do - feet first.

Scott leaps into his pants, and Dean walks into his through the Chamber door.

:lol jk....

I've met both of them. They're both wonderful, and so nice to fans! I can't tell you to not be nervous, but I can tell you you'll have a wonderful experience with your meeting!

And we'll have tissues and smelling salts nearby if needed......