"A Leap For Al"

mstalanon

Project QL Intern
Apr 30, 2002
Independence, MO
Yet another that got hammered on the change of bboards!

PART 1
It was dark, the trees above cast even darker shadows on the ground before the pair as they talked. These spring-gorged oak trees obliterated the moon above. The wind rustled slightly through them, and played with the blond hair of the man who was there, yet wasn't himself.

Doctor Samuel Beckett, Quantum Physicist and Nobel Prize winner was a slightly retarded young man in this Quantum Leap. He literally projected himself across time and space to become someone else. His neurons and masons punched through the Leapee, and sent their own elements forward in the future to the year 1999. To Project: Quantum Leap. Physically Sam was there, mind, body, soul, but he wore the aura of the person he had leapt into, and vice-versa it seemed. People still saw the person he had leapt into. They had no way of knowing that now, a force that most couldn't understand had taken control of Dr. Beckett's experiment, and was directing the good doctor in a series of leaps that helped change the lives of those he intermingled with. He was there to fix a "wrong" that had happened... to make it right again.

Now, he was Jimmy LaMotta, and he was thoroughly miserable. Seemed since he had gotten here, he couldn't do anything right. He felt Jimmy's clumsiness, but knew it was really him that was here. In most of his leaps so far, he had been in control of himself. Very little of the essence of the Leapee was there. Sam believed this to be the case too, yet, he couldn't do anything right! He was still breaking things, and just now, he had inadvertently broken a crystal-serving dish when Jimmy's sister-in-law, Connie, came into the door, bumping him. Sam KNEW it wasn't his fault, yet he couldn?t' help but feel guilty. And he didn't know what else he could do.

Frustrated, he went outside the home of Jimmy's brother, Frank LaMotta, and was grateful indeed to see his best friend, and fellow time persona, Albert Calavicci.

Al wasn't really a time traveler, like Doctor Beckett was. He was still back in New Mexico, at the Headquarters for Project: Quantum Leap. A retired Admiral, Al Calavicci had helped by using his influence with the government to help keep the project funded. It was Sam's experiment, but it was Al's baby. He was the Project Administrator, and also was the Observer. In the form of holographic images, Al interacted with Sam in the past. He was the only one that could see and hear him.

Al stood in the Imaging Chamber, a breakthrough in holographic technology. In this special room, Al could see and hear all that occurred where Doctor Beckett was. Sam Beckett and Al were connected to each other, each donating a cell of their brain stem. This was the breakthrough technology behind the parallel hybrid computer now known as Ziggy, with an ego all of it's own!

So it was with relief that Sam saw his guide. After pouring his heart out in frustration, Doctor Beckett heard a tale of sorrow that poured out from his best friend. Someone that had always been there for him, it seemed, since they had worked together on Project: Starbright, the beginning of what they were working on now!

"... and she was GONE, Sam!" Al choked back his tears and grief, but he needed to tell his friend why this leap was so important. He gestured sadly with his hand to empathize his next point. "Pneumonia..." Then his anger got the better of him as he relive that pain, when Al had gone to get his "special" sister, Trudy, from the institution in New Jersey where she had been under state supervision. Al had been in an orphanage as well, since their father had gone to the Middle East for work. "Tell me, HOW can someone die from pneumonia in 1953!!"

Sam never felt so sad for his friend... he had never guessed why Al's sorrow and family values were so jumbled. If there was a time that Sam wished he were home, it was right now. He wanted to hold his friend, to hug him, to pat him on the back and assure him that all would be okay. When Al reiterated that this was why they wouldn't lose Jimmy, and made Sam say okay, that's when Doctor Beckett knew that if he ever could, he would do something to make that wrong... right again.

So now, as the tingling sensation left him after leaving Beth's house, Sam was filled with the essence of the void he was in; a void that he returned to after every leap. It was a place outside time and space, where he liked to think he was held in God's Arms. In here, his mind would become readjusted to the changes that happened with history that he himself was personally aware of.

Like with Donna, and now, with Al and Beth.

He remembered the birth of their fourth daughter, Maxine, and of course, all the others crowding all over him. Beth just laughed aloud as all three other girls swooned over Sam, all in the throws of various crushes. Sam of course, blushed like a schoolgirl every time a female paid attention to him. Even Donna used to tease him about it. Al had even punched him on the shoulder, said if he ever done anything less than Knightly around them, he'd kill him!

None of this happened in the original history. All of these memories flooded through Sam as he floated on the wings of God. But through it all, Sam remembered too the times when Al would take a certain day off, August 12th, and make a trip back to New Jersey. Beth had later told Sam that it was Trudy's birthday.

Trudy, two years younger than Al, was the love of his life when he was a kid. She was born retarded, but not born with physical defects, except for a laziness of the eyes. Al's mom had been immediately disappointed, but his father thought she was the brightest of sapphires! Young Al had grown up watching out for her, and loved her with a fierceness that surprised even him.

Schoolyard fights became the norm as she began to get picked on a lot. Very quickly, the kids realized that if Albert heard what you said, a "knuckle sandwich" was going to be served on a hot plate very soon. Unfortunately, it didn't stop the teasing. And more times than not, it was patient Trudy that would pull Al away from the scene, telling him that they didn't know her... not the way he knew her.

They often played together, and occasionally, some of Al's friends would join them. Trudy grew up quite the tomboy, and was pretty good at most of the sports she played.

Then, disaster struck.

Their mother snuck away one afternoon when the kids were at school. Neighbors had said the young man she left with was a traveling encyclopedia salesman that had been hitting the suburbs. Al's father had always worked hard, and threw himself into his work, burying his anger and grief in a desperate attempt to help provide for his family. Neighbors helped, but all too soon, a caseworker came knocking on their door. She tried to be sympathetic to Al's and Trudy's needs, but after Trudy had been asked to leave the school, then the reality of being able to watch over a child with special needs rang home.

Trudy had stagnated in school, reaching developmentally all she could reach at the age of eight. After two years of trying to advance beyond the second grade, the school finally said enough. They just didn't have the resources in 1947 to deal with retarded children. They were usually placed in institutions that helped with all disabilities. Their dad fought this decision for a long time, but after he was forced to take work in the Middle East working on an oil field, the state took over.

Al was sent to the New Jersey Helping Home orphanage at the tender age of twelve, and Trudy was placed at the New Jersey Hospice of Care. It really wasn't even an institution, as much as it was an insane asylum, for that's what most of the people there were. They had a small wing for children and adults that were retarded or just slow developmentally. And it was there that she remained.

When Al was eighteen, in 1952, he was able to become Trudy's legal guardian, since their father had passed away a few years before. He applied to the state, but it was a long process. Qualifications had to be met, and some type of income other than pool hustling needed to be proven.

The next year, Al was accepted into the Naval Academy. And he went forward to get his sister out.

But it was too late. She'd died six months earlier at the hospice. Without a financial backer, the state wouldn't allow medical treatment for her pneumonia.

Now, as Al floated in-between realms, Sam realized where best he could help Al.

As the tingling sensation left him, Doctor Samuel Beckett looked around. He was in a pristine hallway, with harsh illumination coming from bright lights. He could see out the large windows on the right hand side of the hall that it was dark. In his right hand, he held a wooden handle that was in reality a mop. He seemed to be in the middle of the polishing the floor. He looked down and a clear covering on the tiled floor looked like it definitely needed more buffing, not mopping. He quickly finished mopping up the fluid, and began to look for the hallway janitor's closet he knew would be a part of this section of the building.

The place looked like a place he was once in, and with horror he remembered his own experience in a room with bars on the windows, and a cage-type mesh that separated one room from the others. It was a cold, clinical, and heartless atmosphere, and Sam immediately began to choke up thinking about being Sam Beiterman, and the shock therapy he endured as that patient. His hand involuntarily went up to touch his temples, but no scar or injury was present. In Sam's mind and soul, he could still feel the gel on his skin; the cold, roughness of the contact points and their black covering, and the beginning white-sensation of pain as the electricity would surge through his temples.

"What's the matter, Sam?" he heard a voice call out. "Can't you find the light switch? It's getting too late to have all the lights on!"

Sam Beckett turned to the sound of the voice. A warm, smiling face was looking at him with a bit of concern. Her hair was tucked under her nurse's hat, but it looked reddish in nature. Although not the kindly nurse that had been with him as Sam Beiterman, the resemblance was uncanny. Again, Sam thought about destiny and God's hands as he directed things from time to time.

"Uhh, no Nurse, I'm O-Okay. Just thought the floor should be buffed, rather than polished."

She smiled, but shook her head. "You know how that noise affects some of our patients, Mr. Johnston. That's why we only buff the floors when they go out for a walk, or meals in the other room."

Sam nodded his head. "S-Sorry. Wasn't thinking, I guess," he said with a grin and a shrug. The nurse smiled and walked away.

Sam walked over to the aforementioned switch, and shut off the light. Immediately moonlight flooded in, casting the most obscure shadows all over the tall, whitish hallway. Perspective leaped into unreality as the whole scene he was now looking at, took on a more sinister look.

Sam sighed. "Ohhh boy!"

End of PART 1
PART 2
Admiral Al Calavicci slept soundly in his house down the road from the Project. It was still on government lad, and he missed the house he had back in Virginia that Beth and he had bought not too long after he got back from Vietnam. He spent a lot of time answering Federal questions at the F.B.I. Headquarters, shortly after they opened up their super-expensive building. Despite the memories of those interviews, and the accusations that he had cooperated with the enemy, he and Beth had made a real home for each other there, with friends and her family not too far away.

Ever since Sam had Leapt his final leap, and history had changed (although Al didn't remember it anymore... seems God, Fate, Time or whatever was kind in that regard), Al had felt comfortable with Ziggy monitoring the situation there. With Donna Eleese-Beckett and Sammy Jo monitoring Ziggy and testing their theories, Al had moved out of his temporary quarters and into a generic three-bedroom, governmental house on a small block that used to be bustling with the families of the various people that worked on the project.

Now, it was just a ghost town, with echoes of the people, and only an occasional spirit of a lab technician here, cooking staff there. Since the cutbacks he had been forced to make to go along with the committee's slashing of his budget to keep the project alive to where they could find Doctor Sam Beckett, Al had not felt like this place was home.

His daughters were mostly grown, only the last two still living at the home, and Al spent most of his time worrying if they weren't going to run afoul of some nozzle like he used to be back in his early Navy days. But with Beth by his side, he'd felt confident that Maxine, his fifteen-year-old daughter, his youngest and his favorite, wouldn't fall to the "dark side"!! Beth had a will of iron, and he had found himself on the losing side of many of her willful arguments.

But Al wouldn't have it any other way. She had kept him balanced, and been a pillar of strength when he hadn't been able to be strong all the time. His own bout with depression and alcohol had nearly claimed him. She had never given up on him, but had refused to support him and how he was tearing their family apart. It was a history that Al wished he could forget... now all he could do was try to be that much better for Beth.

Beth in turn had supported Al in his fight against that beast, and never turned her back on him.

Despite the situation, however, Al sat up straight as a board when his watch handlink blinked on with Ziggy's wonderful wakeup message he had been expecting for months.

%%"Admiral?"%% she purred.

Al slid up out of bed, grabbed a robe to cover his pajamas, and walked into the front room, closing his bedroom door behind him. Once there, he pressed the correct button. "Yeah Zig?" he asked, as he began to rub the sleep outta his eyes.

%%"We have confirmation that Doctor Beckett has Quantum Leaped again,"%% Ziggy's voice intoned, and Al felt the connection in his head slowly reawaken. Most of the time, Ziggy's voice seemed to come from all around, as his own neurons and masons had been used to help the design of Ziggy's makeup. So the communication between him and Doctor Beckett was with the Handlink providing the link, but their own essence was tied up to Ziggy... a thought that bothered the Admiral a bit, for he wondered when she disconnected from him.

"Okay Zig, run the scenario and have Doctor Beeks meet me in the Waiting Room."

%%"I'm afraid that won't be possible, Admiral."%%

Al blinked, unsure if he heard that correctly. "What?" he asked back, the beginnings of a headache started, for he had a funny feeling about this.

%%"There is no one to interview in the Waiting Room,"%% she replied back matter-of-factly.

Al stared out the window of his street, thinking. After a moment, he spoke aloud his ponderings. "How can you know he Leaped, when there is nobody there? Did he Leap as himself again?"

%%"Unknown at this time. However, I can predict with an 89.876 percentage that Doctor Beckett HAS indeed Leapt. The neuroflux is still contained within my parameters. It looks like he's back in 1952, somewhere on the Northeastern section of America."%%

Al grinned a bit, for he could tell that Ziggy was baffled at not knowing more about the situation. However, he'd learned not to prod her too much about things like that. She could be EXTREMELY moody when she wanted to be.

"Ok, um, I guess I really can't do much from here. Have Goos---," Al stopped, and looked down. "Sorry Ziggy, I forgot."

%%"I - I Understand Admiral. To me, Gooshie will always be a part of me as much as to you and Doctor Beckett."%%

Al chewed his lips as he watched moths dance around the streetlight of his cul-de-sac. It was about 2AM, and no hint of Dawn was yet on the horizon. He thought long and hard about his friend that had recently died. Gooshie had programmed Ziggy NOT to reveal that he was dying of cancer, for he didn't want to alert the whole Project. Al had read Gooshie's note he had left for him and for Sam to read when he finally got home. He thought back on that moment, and although didn't have the photographic memories of Doctor Beckett and Sammi Jo, he still remembered every word.

"To my friends and family here at Project: Quantum Leap:

No doubt, you will have known about my condition long before you read this, but with God's help, you won't have had to know about it for very long!

This decision to reprogram Ziggy came very hard to me. She is fully capable of conducting bioscans every time one of us enters the elevator to come down to these lower levels. I just couldn't take the chance that she would tell any of you, but especially Admiral Calavicci, of my advancing condition.

You see, I had work to do. I didn't have the time nor inclination of being confined into some hospital somewhere with technological wonders trying to be created around me in a vain effort to stop the inevitable.

But I know you Admiral, probably better than you know yourself. All I ever wanted to do was contribute to my friends and family. All I ever wanted to be was of value.

This project HAS value, and I'm glad I was able to bring Sammy Jo up to speed. She will allow this project to go even further than I could do. I'm convinced that God has taken over the Leaping process, no matter how much Sammy Jo objects to that theory. Look at all the good we've done together. We've changed and documented history on a personal and professional level. What scientist couldn't die and be happy knowing that their work is a success?

As much Ziggy is Doctor Beckett's baby, she was my friend and companion. I will miss working on her, and more importantly, I'll miss her.

To my beloved Tina, I can only say how sorry I am that we didn't have more time together. I thank God above for the time that we DID have. Know that I will be watching over you, and wish you the very best.

To the rest of the senior staff, Dr. Donna Elesse, Dr. Samuel Beckett, and Dr. Verbeena Beeks: Please know that being with you on this journey has filled my life with wonder, and with a sense of awe it is that I go to my final home... now I can go without fear, and with all the love that's possible for a man to carry in his heart.

Affectionately yours,

Gooshie"

Al wiped a tear outta his eye as he remembered the letter in detail. He sighed and rested his hand on his windowsill, feeling old for the first time in his life. Not even when he had to chase down Stiles had he felt so helpless. It was only a week ago that Gooshie had died, finally succumbing to the cancer that had eaten so much of him away. It was only the past few months had Al had suspected something was going on... Gooshie was just too chubby faced to become so thin and frail. But he never let on that he was feeling poorly, and his work never suffered.

And when he died, with the staff around his bed, he had died with a smile on his face, content with his life.

"I mean it Zig. I'm really sorry."

%%"Thank you Admiral. But it's not necessary. Gooshie will always be a part of me, as much as he'll be a part of all of you.%%

Al grinned at the compassion that flooded from the Parallel Hybrid computer he considered a family member.

"Okay Zig. Have Dr. Fuller come up with a theory as to why we don't have a resident in the Waiting Room. And wake me when you have some more info. I'll be in at Oh-eight hundred hours."

He saw rather than felt the connection go dark on his wrist-communicator. He was just getting ready to go back to bed when he felt Beth's arms go around him. He leaned back into her and drew the comfort he needed. "You okay, Al?" She asked, worried.

Al grunted. "Hon, my best friend has Leaped, there's nobody in the Waiting Room, Ziggy is getting more compassionate every day, and you're asking me how I'm doing?"

Beth giggled a bit and kissed Al on the neck. "C'mon Tiger. Why don't we try to act like we can make a fifth child! I'm too young to think about being a grandmother."

Al grinned, turned around and kissed Beth fully on the lips. "I thank God every day he brought you to me," he murmured.

"You got it wrong, bucko," she teased back passionately. "He brought you to me! I still have Sam to thank for that."

"Oh you will sweetheart. He'll be back. I have a feeling!"

The two lovers walked back into their room, and the stars above were dimmed by the brightness of love that flowed in the Calavicci household. But it was okay... they were used to it.

End of PART 2​
?A Leap For Al? Pt 3 of 4

property of Matthew R. Searcy

Sam walked to the nurse?s station, mostly because he had no idea where he was, or where ?his? personal items were. The driver?s license in Sam Johnston?s wallet didn?t really tell Dr. Beckett anything, but the lack of personal pictures and no wedding ring, did. He was a loner, and had no family. From the light reflection he could see in the large windows, Mr. Johnston was a man near forty, with a lazy smile, and kind eyes. Sam was actually glad of the appearance. He felt comfortable in this situation.

?Hi Mr. Johnston!? he heard from down the hall.

Sam turned his head and saw a small child peeking around the corner. He grinned, and sauntered over to the young girl, who sleepily rubbed her eyes. She stood in her pajamas and socks, and fidgeted. Sam took one look and realized the problem.

?Bathroom?? he questioned, and then grinned at her nod. He looked around and saw a sign hanging off the wall that indicated the restroom. ?Right over there honey.?

?Will you come with me?? she pleaded, and giggled with delight when Sam picked her up with a smile. He hushed her, for he knew all too well how loud little kids can get when they become happy. He walked her over to the door, and opened it up and sat her down. She smiled and blushed, but didn?t move.

?Hasn?t anybody helped you before sweetheart??

She shook her head, and started to look a bit upset.

?It?s okay, Mr. Johnston. I?ll take it from here,? said the nurse he met earlier. Sam turned a bit as the nurse passed him and gave him her kind smile. Her nametag indicated ?G. Knoppel?, so at least Dr. Beckett had something to call her. She knelt down and picked up the little girl with the gorgeous long, brown hair. It was parted down the middle, and on reflex Sam stroked it, mesmerized at all the innocence of the world trapped in a small child. Instinctively the little girl hugged the nurse, and she smiled back at Sam.

?Where?s Mr. Johnston?? she asked suddenly as she saw Sam in the full light. ?Who are you??

Sam blanched, but he was saved from trying to answer the young girl. ?Oh, he?ll be back, Bethany,? said Nurse Knoppel, as she gave Sam a ?sorry? kind-of-look.

Sam grinned and shrugged. She must have similar issues with real people. It would explain why she?s here in a mental ward.

?Now let?s let Mr. Johnston get back to work.? She looked Sam in the eyes. ?Sam, would you be a dear and clean ?A? room for us? I?m afraid Miss T threw another fit.?

Nodding his head and put his hands in his front pockets. ?You bet!?

?Keep being so nice, and we?ll have you repaint the whole wing if you have so much energy,? she teased back with a twinkle in her eye as she led the young girl into the bathroom.

Sam smiled a simple smile, comfortable with the chemistry between himself and the nurse. He went to the desk where another nurse was sitting, an older black woman that practically exuded motherly feelings. ?Yes Sam?? she said with a soft look in her eyes. She was peering at him over her reading focal glasses with kindness and patience as if this was a normal behavior with him.

?Um, N-Nurse Knoppel asked me to clean room 'A' for you two.?

Frowning slightly, the larger woman stood up with a grimace. ?That girl!? she uttered, referring to the patient that made the mess. ?I just don?t know what we?re going to do with her.? Sam noted with amusement that the nurse had two nametags. One, her official one from the hospital, was a white one and had a simple ?B.Billings? etched on it. The second one hung below the white one. It was handcrafted with the word ?Betty-mom? printed in scrawling letters that obviously were made with love. Sam noticed that the woman put her left hand on the offending pain of her back and leaned heavily on the other leg, trying to balance herself.

Sam looked at her with a frown and could see that her spine appeared to be massively out of alignment. ?You know, you really should put some ointment on that.?

Nurse Billings rolled her eyes. ?You a doctor now, Samuel Johnston?? she asked lightly.

The lie came hard on his lips. ?N-No...?, but then an idea came onto him with a rush. ?But my grandmother had a herbal recipe she swore by.?

?Go on,? Betty said, with that ?look? over her glasses at Sam... again, a comfortable gesture.

?O-On the farm, you know, she would complain of aches and pains. What?s a really good remedy to put on a sore spot is cinnamon and mint oils.?

?Seriously?? uttered the nurse.

Sam gave her a grin. ?Ever cooked with cinnamon? Spilled a little on your hand??

?Well, yes, but I don?t see...?

?If you want, after I?m done, I can mix in a few items in some Vaseline. The petroleum jelly helps smooth it around. I think you?ll be pleasantly surprised.?

The nurse laughed. ?You?re the one full of surprises. Honey, if it works like you said, fine. You?re off shift in a few minutes anyway. I?m certain they have some mint leaves in the kitchen. Now, off with you!? she made a shooing gesture and pointed down the hallway.

Sam chucked a thumb in that direction and nodded. He went back to the janitor?s locker, and gathered the mop bucket, refilling it with hot water, and poured in a little bit of cleanser.

Room ?A? was really one of three examination rooms. Sam sighed a bit, and remembered his own internship and the memories flooded comfortably with it. Then he frowned at the puddles on the floor. Urine more than likely, he thought, based on the color and odor. Sam began to pick up the various tools and items as they were lying around. He went to a cabinet and pulled out the chemicals he needed to sterilize the various medical tools and equipment. He found some alcohol swabs, and proceeded to happily clean the items. Once that was done, and the jar off to the side was refilled with the alcohol, he began to clean up the mess on the floor.

?Busy?? he heard from the doorway. Sam glanced up and saw Nurse Knoppel standing there, with a worried look on her face.

Sam shook his head negatively. ?Almost done here... and I want to mix up some of my grandma?s ointment she used for her ?ailments?. I think it will help Betty's back a bit.?

?That would be very nice, Mr. Johnston,? she mentioned casually. Sam could see a worried look on her face.

?What?s wrong??

She sat down with a sigh. ?Well, you?re just being a bit too helpful,? she jokingly mentioned. ?But more than that, I really don?t know what more to do with Miss T. Doctor Weiss has prescribed a serious sedative...? She looked at Sam, and made a hand gesture. ?Uum, sleeping pills, Sam.?

Dr. Beckett now knew that the Leapee, the real Sam, was ?slow?. ?I understand. And it bothers you to sedate a young girl??

Nurse Knoppel looked up hopefully. ?Yes! That?s it exactly. I mean, she?s physically old enough, but with Down?s Syndrome patients... you never know how they?re going to react. Remember Billy?? she asked. Sam had no idea who she was talking about, but nodded anyway, knowing the real Sam Johnston probably would know. ?Well, after he choked to death on his own tongue, I vowed never to heavily sedate another patient.?

?My God, what did you give him?" Sam gasped, forgetting his role as a slower man - the doctor in him horrified at the knowledge of malpractice and a patient's death. "He must have been allergic or the doctor prescribed too much. Any sedative needs to be closely monitored!?

?Now Sam, you know you can?t possibly know more than poor Doctor Weiss. He was very sad that he didn?t know about Billy?s reaction to morphine.?

?I must still be back in the fifties,? Sam muttered.

?Excuse me?? asked the nurse. She hadn?t caught all of what Sam had said.

?Um, I said, ?That?s what they use, it being the fifties?. But I?m certain that we?ll stop heavily using such an addictive depressant soon.?

The nurse frowned slightly and stood up, apparently changing her mind about something. ?Well, when you find a better and more safe medicine, please let us know.? She started to walk out and then stopped, placing her hand on the wall, and glanced back to him. ?Sam, you know Miss T so well. Would you go talk to her? She?s crying uncontrollably down in her isolation.?

Dr. Beckett frowned. ?Why is she isolated?? In response, she gestured to the floor and the room.

?Nurse Knoppel, Down?s patients are often aggressive when they can?t make themselves understood. If she?s got a particularly low IQ, then the more she?ll react this way. She certainly won?t understand why she?s being punished. I?ll look after her!?

?Sam! You have NO way of knowing that! I realize you and Trudy are close, and we?ve always encouraged that. After her father died, she?s had no father figure to look forward to, other than the doctors. But you can?t challenge our decisions. Remember, you were a patient here for a very, long time!?

?Her father died?? Sam asked back, his brow crinkled in concentration. ?Trudy? The fifties? Your accent sounds North Eastern...? She looked ready to say something back, but Sam interrupted her. ?Tell me, is her last name Italian??

?Yes. Sam! You know that! Her name is Calavicci!?

End Part 3.

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

?A Leap For Al? Pt 4: Leap Finale'

property of Matthew R. Searcy

Sam gulped. His heart beat fast. He knew now why he was here. He remembered making the choice to do so.

?What?s the matter Sam? You look like you?ve seen a ghost.?

Sam smiled, and attempted to recover. ?I-I just forgot. Seems I know a Calavicci from somewhere. That?s why I blinked.?

Nurse Koppel smiled and turned away. ?You did more than blink, Mr. Johnston. Looked for a second there you were going to pass out. C?mon, I?ll take you too her.?

?Just a second. I have to clean up in here.?

?Fine. Just meet me at the nurse?s station,? she called back, already heading away.

?Oh Al!? Sam muttered, overcome. He remembered Al?s story about Trudy passing away at the institution. Bracing himself, he went over to the cabinet that he knew had some pharmaceutical supplies in it. He nearly whooped with delight when he saw the bottle of penicillin. Quickly pocketing it, he grabbed the mop bucket and closed the door behind him. A few moments later he was standing at the nurse?s station, and he grabbed the elbow of Ms. Koppel. ?Ready.?

She smiled at him and took him by the elbow, almost like they were on a date.

?Good luck Mr. Johnston,? called Betty. Sam tossed her back a nervous smile.

?I do hope you can help her Sam. It would break my heart to have to give her this injection.? Sam smiled nervously at her, but didn?t say anything. ?What?s the matter, Sam??

Taking a chance, Sam asked quietly. ?Do you read much??

?Wha??

?Fantasy? Say J.R.R. Tolkein??

?Ohhh, yes! I absolutely loved ?The Hobbit? !! But, Sam, how could you???

Sam didn?t give her a chance to continue. ?Did you often think what life would be like for some of the patients here? If they had been born differently, or perhaps, were given a chance to show society that they could be trusted to live a normal life? with some small supervision??

?Ohhh Sam!? she uttered. ?I don?t think I ever told anybody, but yes! But it just breaks my heart to wish for such things. It?s just not possible.?

Sam stopped walking and turned to face her. ?Believe in what?s possible. In the words of Shakespeare, ?There is more in heaven and Earth than is dreamt of in your philosophy.? I?m here now because of that thinking!?

?What do you mean, ?You?re here now?? Sam,? she continued. ?You?ve lived here for many years.? Now she was getting a bit scared of this man she had known for so long

?My name is Samuel, yes. But it?s Beckett. Not the playwright, although I doubt you have heard of him. He doesn?t become popular until the sixties. Listen to me,? he shook her for a second. ?I?m a doctor. Not just a medical one, but a scientist as well. I have traveled across the country? and across time for Ms. Calavicci.?

Nurse Koppel, whose first name was Gretchen, was trying to cope with this. ?You mean you are a time traveler, Sam??

?Don?t look at me like I?m insane," he smiled kindly, but then urgently added. "If you wish, ask me anything. But think about this one thing,? he said, pausing a moment. ?Has Mr. Johnston EVER said anything like this in the past? In all the time you?ve known HIM, has he ever acted this way??

Gretchen?s face fell. It?s true, she thought. Then she looked at Sam with eyes akin to real fear? the fear that her world was about to change forever. ?I just don?t understand,? was all she could muster to say.

?Look,? Dr. Beckett began and then sat her down in a chair in the hallway, holding onto her hand. ?I?ve been traveling for over five years, helping people that I believe God wants me to help. Trudy Calavicci is the young sister of my best friend in the world. Not the Albert Calavicci that?s now seventeen, but a much older one. His compassion for Trudy is so strong, it would break your heart to hear him talk about the time he spent with her. A time that was cut tragically short.?

?Short??

?She died, here in this institution, in 1953. Of Pneumonia. And I?m here to try to change that.?

?But she doesn?t have??

?I think, if you pay attention to her, you?ll see that she?s sick? has the beginning of the illness now. These floors are deathly cold. Bethany was dancing about on the floor a few minutes ago, remember?? Now the kind eyes, less intense than they had been, captured Gretchen?s gaze.

?Oh, please tell me this isn?t a joke,? she murmered.

?I?m extremely serious, Nurse Koppel.?

?Gretchen,? she automatically said. ?If you?re who you say you are?? she trailed off.

Sam smiled and gripped her hands tighter. ?Gretchen,? he began gently. ?Please think hard about this. The part of me you see as Sam Johnston I wear as a shell. But I?ve been told that when you stare into my eyes, especially if you know the real person, you will see a difference.?

At that point, Gretchen knew what was nagging at her all along. Sam?s eyes did seem different. More brighter, perhaps, although she wasn?t sure of that. ?Tell me one thing,? she hesitated. ?What is the future like??

Sam smiled. ?Women are treated as complete equals, and there are computers that help daily processing of mundane tasks, and life goes on for all of us. We have the same problems as the people from this time. We reached the moon in a space trek, and then abandoned it. We found samples of possible life on Mars, and then concentrated our search for life here on Earth. We have polluted our world, and yet made it more beautiful. And people like you continue to make a difference.?

?The moon?? she asked befuddled. Her mind tossed around the possibilities. ?What about war??

Sam smiled. ?It still hangs on everything we do. I?m hoping to change some of that. But there have been no more World Wars!?

That seemed to convince her. ?My brother died on the Midway . I?ve hoped and prayed his sacrifice wasn?t for nothing. I?ll do whatever it takes to help you.?

?Take me to her!?

Trudy sat in the cold, shivering and crying uncontrollably. She was miserable, lonely and scared. She was burning hot, and yet freezing. It was hard to breathe, and her stomach ached. All her life had turned around, and it seemed as if she was never going to see her family again. She knew her dad had gone to heaven, but still she hoped she would see him sometime soon. The light from the high window poured in the dark room with an eerie quality. All Trudy knew was she was scared. The light frightened her. The dark frightened her. The people here were mean, and didn?t seem to want to listen. She wanted her brother. Al would always listen. But nobody had listened since she came to this miserable place.

Her breath wheezed in and out of her lungs, and she didn?t know why. The sound startled her, and she couldn?t get any rest. Just as she thought she couldn?t get any more miserable, the locked door opened up, flooding light from that rectangular shape. She recoiled from the invading light, seeing two figures. She couldn?t make out whom they were.

?My God,? uttered the male. He strolled in quickly and gathered her up in his strong arms, feeling her hot forehead and wincing. Trudy thought she knew who it was. He reminded her of Sam Johnston, the nice guy that cleaned up and told her jokes. But he acted differently. He began to talk to her, calling her by her name. She glanced over in a fever sweat, but couldn?t concentrate to see his features.

?Do you think she?s okay, Sam? She?s burning up!?

?I?m more worried about her respiratory system. She could choke on the infection if we don?t take measures now.? The man glanced up. ?She needs fluids. Soup, water, juice ? clear if you have it.?

?Sam, I?m not authorized. Doctor Weiss is on call, but you know? no, I don?t suppose you do. The real Sam knows he won?t come back to the hospital this late on a Friday night.?

The man known as Sam grimaced. ?That must have been what happened, originally. She contracted pneumonia over the weekend and by the time someone could look in on her, or she could make herself understood, it was too late. Right now, I bet the best she could say is she doesn?t feel good.?

?Don?t? feel ? good,? Trudy heard herself mutter.

The man with the kind face smiled down at her. ?Don?t worry, honey, you?re brother sent me to look after you.?

?Al?? Trudy asked, trying to sit up. But the effort proved too much, and she grayed out mercifully.

Gretchen sat there with her hand over her mouth, trying to stop the tears from flowing. She knew now deep in her heart that this man who looked so much like Sam Johnston was really more than he appeared to be. Trudy Calavicci was deathly sick, but this man took it all in stride. He asked for water and towels, and proceeded to try to cool off Trudy as best as he could. He did manage to wake her up and give her the medicine she needed? from where he got it, she could only imagine. And the stories he told Trudy! He spoke the whole time, even when she was unconscious. Calmly speaking, he told her about how her brother had taken a chance on a young scientist when nobody else would, despite his accomplishments. How her brother had brought a young Sam Beckett into his heart, watching after him in an older brother sort of way. How he had apparently sacrificed himself in some future war so that Sam?s brother would live where he originally had died. About how her brother had time and time again given Sam the encouragement to go on when all he wanted to do was give up. About how her brother had slapped sense into this more intelligent man time and time again, grounding him in ways he never knew he needed until Sam tapped into that source of wisdom. Sam told her about her brother landing on the moon, and how he advanced in the ranks of the military to become an Admiral. About how he would be going in the Navy next year, and to keep an eye out for a woman named Beth that would change Al?s life forever. About how Sam hoped he would come home to see their whole family? including Trudy.

Gretchen had disobeyed her standing orders and unlocked the kitchen. There she had prepared soup and food for Sam and for Trudy, although Sam ate next to nothing. And after she got off shift, she went to Trudy?s room, and sat up with her when Sam dozed fitfully. She finally had to make him eat to keep his strength for Trudy if not for his own reasons. She knew he was a doctor then, for doctors made the worst patients! Finally, to make Gretchen happy, he had begun to eat. And fell in a deeper sleep when he did sleep.

Trudy developed an ugly rash on Saturday morning. Sam frowned, but the rash appeared to be the only symptom of a reaction to the penicillin. He wanted to cut the dosage, and finally did on Sunday. Trudy was awakened every couple of hours and more food, aspirin, and juice was poured down her throat. She fought them like a lion, but Sam remained in control, the strength flowing from his confidence. He also mentioned how proud Al was of her, and how he spoke about her often.

Then on Sunday, her fever mercifully broke, and Trudy was able to finally fall into a deep sleep. Sam dismissed Gretchen to go home and get some sleep. He would stay up with Trudy until she came back Monday morning. The orderlies ignored Sam on Gretchen and Betty?s orders on Friday night, and they obeyed the two nurses? whose wills of iron were formidable to say the least. Sam repaid their kindness by helping out where necessary, and created the salve he promised Betty. She seemed skeptical at first, but then informed him later that the heat-based salve was doing wonders!

Trudy awoke late Sunday night, and asked if she could go for a walk. Sam made certain she was dressed warmly, and took her out, with the blanket around her uncomfortably hot, yet she still kept herself wrapped up in it.

?Trudy, I know you don?t know a lot about what I said this weekend, but there?s one thing I want you to promise me.?

?Sure Sam,? Trudy said, her slow eyes and beautiful smile an effort to maintain. She was tired, but Doctor Beckett knew she was out of the danger level.

Sam took her face in his hands as he felt the tingling sensations fill his essence. ?Promise me you?ll watch out for Beth while Al is gone. He will be gone for a long time. I don?t expect you to remember. But promise me you?ll watch out for Beth!?

?Beth?? Trudy said, testing the word. She nodded and looked up at her Angel. ?Okay Sam, you got it.?

And then Sam Leapt.

Al woke up at six thirty, and promptly shaved and showered. He ate a quick breakfast, and checked in with Ziggy. Sam had Quantum Leapt again, according to her data, but they never could find any evidence of a Leapee. Frowning, he disconnected and began to hunt around in his house for his car keys. What surprised him was he remembered last night the mess from his youngest child had spilled out into the front room. But now it was gone.

?Beth!? he hollered.

?You screamed, my Lord??

Al took his cigar out of his mouth and gave her his best sarcastic shake of his head. ?Ha Ha!? He then looked around. ?What happened to Maxine?s crap? It was all over the place last night. I nearly killed myself when I spoke with Ziggy last night.?

Beth looked worriedly at her husband. ?Al, she?s next door, where she always stays on the weekend. And so's her 'crap'!?

A tingle went up his spine as beginning memories began to flood in his sense of self. Not wanting to think about them and their repercussions, he darted out the front door.

The neighborhood had changed. Flowers were everywhere, mostly in a pattern, but in some cases, a bit overgrown. There was an older, but still beautiful woman with graying hair that was watering them now, trying desperately to give them nourishment to escape the hot, desert-type sun that would threaten their existence later that day. She looked over at Al and waved like a kid.

Al fell to his knees, overcome. He put his hands to his eyes and wept unshed tears of the past forty years. He could only stare in wonderment as the woman dropped her watering can and sauntered over.

?Are you okay, big brother??

Al just stared up at her, open mouthed. He heard his name called behind him, and he felt Beth?s hands on his shoulders. He glanced up at her and tried to say something. Everything was okay, he wanted to say. All was the way it should be. Yet he was so thunderstruck, he couldn?t say or do anything else.

?Honey?? Beth asked. She glanced over at her sister-in-law. ?Do you know what happened??

Trudy shook her head. ?But if something happens to him, I?ll take care of you Beth! I Promise!?

Beth smiled warmly. ?You?ve been saying that for thirty years!?

Al mumbled. ?More like forty.? He stood up, and took a deep breath. He hit Ziggy?s handlink-watch. ?Thanks for not telling me Zig!?

%%?I?m still watching out for you too, Admiral.?%%

End

</SPAN>var PUpage="76001070"; var PUprop="geocities"; var yviContents='http://us.toto.geo.yahoo.com/toto?s=76001070&l=NE&b=1&t=1033670692';yviR='us';yfiEA(0);