silly laws

Mr Questionmark

Project QL Intern
Apr 18, 2007
swindon, wilts, UK
Just having a laugh on the boards of the game I play, with some silly laws that are still on the statute books.

This one caught my eye.

In Georgia
It's unlawful for a barber to advertise his prices.
It is a misdemeanor for any citizen to attend church worship on Sunday unless he is equipped with a rifle and it is loaded.
In Jonesboro: Forbidden to say "Oh, boy".

the bottom line especially. :roflmao:

taken from here

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/539768/posts

I think Idaho's 1st one will have the vote from the ladies here tho. :D

Last edited:
Here there's one that it's forbidden to drive a taxi unless it carries a certain amount of hay. (from back in the days when taxis are pulled by horses I recon ;) )

At the place I'm at it's illegal to walk across the street on your hands.

This makes me wish I could walk on my hands just to do that and see what happens.

LOL

In Alabama, putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death and keeping an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time is a crime. A law in Fairbanks, In Alaska, you may hunt a bear safely but it is illegal to wake a bear and take a picture for photo opportunities.

In Arizona, US, donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs and you may be imprisoned for 25 years for cutting down a cactus. In Arkansas, schoolteachers who bob their hair are not eligible for a raise and it is illegal to buy or sell blue light bulbs. In Baldwin Park, California, nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool while in Los Angeles, a man can legally beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can't be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife's consent to beat her with a wider strap. Consent should be given prior to the event, as is carefully stipulated.
In Philippines, cars whose license plates end with a 1 or 2 are not allowed on the roads on Monday, 3 or 4 on Tuesday, 5 or 6 on Wednesday, 7 or 8 on Thursday, and 9 or 0 on Friday from 7:00 AM onwards to keep roads free of traffic jams.

I have a book full of crazy laws. Here's a few for you all (all laws are in the United States):

• A law in Comal County, Texas, specifically prohibits Mickey Mouse from running for Public Office.
  • Horses are not allowed to eat a fire hydrant in Marshalltown, Iowa.
  • People who make ugly faces at dogs in Oklahoma can be fined or jailed.
  • It is illegal for a secretary to be alone with her boss in Pasadena, California.
  • In Atwoodville, Connecticut, it is illegal for people to play Scrabble when waiting for a politician to start speaking.
  • Everyone must take a bath on Saturday night in Barre, Vermont.
  • A woman can not drive a car in Memphis, Tennessee, unless a man is running or walking in front of the car and waving red flags to warn pedestrians.
If anybody wants more, then tell me. :lol

It would appear that in England every woman who wears perfume is breaking the law.
A very very old law has never been repealed.
It states that it is acceptable for a man to wear scented herbs beneath his wig to disguise his natural odour, but illegal for a woman to wear perfume 'wherewith to entice her man'.
Make of that what you will!

• A woman can not drive a car in Memphis, Tennessee, unless a man is running or walking in front of the car and waving red flags to warn pedestrians.

:roflmao: I take it all men in Memphis are really good runners?

:eek:uttahere:kitt:

keep em coming, mate!

:lol Here's a few more. I'm getting all of these from a book called "Wacky Laws, Weird Decisions & Strange Statutes".

• "The speed limit for ambulances is 20 miles per hour in Por Huron, Michigan."
  • "There's an ordinance in Morrisville, Pennsylvania, that prhoibits a woman from wearing cosmetics without a permit."
  • "Everyone walking on the street in Elko, Nevada, is required to wear a mask."
  • "You may not sleep in a refrigerator if you are in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania."

I should suggest that people wave red flags to warn people when I'm driving. I'm a male, but I'm probably a bad enough driver to warrant that. :lol

I know theres some sort of law in the uk that says a man can go to the toilet over the back wheel of his vehicle if he gets caught short while out and about. As a female who drives for a living i find this very unfair. (not that i would want to do it on my back wheel :roflmao: )

angvav said:
Jassian - I'm not a good runner!
Then either you or your girlfriend's in trouble if you go to Memphis.
You could possibly get away with it if you sit on the bonnet. :b :lol :nut
Good luck waving flags at the same time!

sparkyclarkie said:
I know theres some sort of law in the uk that says a man can go to the toilet over the back wheel of his vehicle if he gets caught short while out and about. As a female who drives for a living i find this very unfair. (not that i would want to do it on my back wheel :roflmao: )

:roflmao:I'm sure the guys may prefer a handy bush as well if it presents itself.

In parts of the US it's illegal to get a fish drunk.

In parts of CA you cannot enter a bar if you have more than three eyes.

Errowyn said:

Oh Well,.. there went my plans for that night...
:roflmao:

Errowyn said:

I guess that excludes those with Multiple Personality Disorder. :lol:roflmao:

If you don't understand, say the sentence out loud really slow.

ohboy said:
I guess that excludes those with Multiple Personality Disorder. :lol:roflmao:

If you don't understand, say the sentence out loud really slow.

:roflmao::roflmao:

I love puns! That was very good.

Here's another fun law from the same book:

• "A man in Tennessee is forbidden to divorce his wife unless he leaves her ten pounds of dried beans, five poiunds of dried apples, a side of meat and ample yarn to knit herself stockings for a year".
I'm sure that nothing cheers up a recently divorced woman like dried beans and apples. :wacko

In Texas it's illegal to own a copy of Encylopedia Britanica.

I don't know if the volumes still have it but at one time they had a recipie to create home made liquor.

Errowyn said:
In Texas it's illegal to own a copy of Encylopedia Britanica.

I don't know if the volumes still have it but at one time they had a recipie to create home made liquor.

*L* or maybe it's a campain to promote wikipedia!

Ohboy: That's what the yarn is for, by the time she's figured out how to make stockings, she's forgotten about the guy :roflmao: .. who must have been quite odd in the first place to stick with those recommendations.