LHO no longer has any impact

Lightning McQueenie

Project QL Intern
Dec 8, 2005
I watched LHO a couple of days ago (after about a 2 or 3 year break), but this time it neither scared me, nor did I believe any of it.

Maybe it's because I've already seen it.

Or maybe it's because after watching all 6 seasons of Sex and the City in one go I can't believe Carrie's gay friend Stanford is LHO LOL!

P.S. How weird does he look with hair?

Just thought I'd share.

BTW I didn't notice this before - but now I know where the old (first) handlink went.

Gooshie uses it. In the scene where Al and Gooshie are talking and Gooshie's saying "maybe you should just let things unfold the way they originally did, then you'll know the truth", Gooshie is playing with the old handlink, and Al is playing with the newer gummy bear one.

I wouldn't say that it scared me, but now I watch the series for characterization (it helps my writing), and I still get disturbed in those places where Sam is losing the battle for his mind. It had been years since I saw the eps (an ex-friend lost my tape), and I still remembered the part after Oswald's attempted assassination of the general, and LHO/Sam is pissed that he missed. Al is panicked, screaming, "YOU didn't miss, OSWALD DID!" And Sam looks at him sideways and says, "I can hear you, Al, you don't have to yell." But - he does it in his Sam-as-Oswald voice. Cree-pee.
I wouldn't say it scared me, as much as it unnerved me, and still does, because the acting is that good.

naggindragon said:
BTW I didn't notice this before - but now I know where the old (first) handlink went.

Gooshie uses it. In the scene where Al and Gooshie are talking and Gooshie's saying "maybe you should just let things unfold the way they originally did, then you'll know the truth", Gooshie is playing with the old handlink, and Al is playing with the newer gummy bear one.

Wow. I've never noticed that before. Now I wish I had a copy so I could go check the episode.

Good catch naggindragon!

Like any episode in any series, the initial impact will never be the same again in future viewings. However LHO still captures my attentions as it is such a strong episode. The writing and acting excels anything you would see at the movies.

It is much better than that Oliver Stone's attempt and at a fraction of the price. As Donald said, "It's crap... total BS"

I personally tend to agree more with Oliver Stones version. But I have to agree that the acting and emotions in LHO were second to none. The only acting through the series that was better was Dean in M.I.A.

Regardless of whether it's accurate or not, JFK is a great movie despite the fact that it's full of inaccuracies. It's just a movie that should be taken with a grain of salt. As to whether or not I believe the conspiracy theory, well... I guess it's just too easy to believe that a single man couldn't have assassinated the President all by himself, thus leaving the only other option a conspiracy. A lot of people wanted to kill Kennedy, but that doesn't necessarily mean they acted on it. I probably think "Lee Harvey Oswald" is more true to logic and history, being that the only thing to this day that can be "proven" is that Oswald pulled the trigger. So until the day it's proven otherwise, I believe he acted alone. There's just not enough logic that holds up to support a conspiracy. But I'd love to know how it really went down. :)

Too bad LHO is dead. It's a shame someone can't Quantum Leap and find out what really happened... LOL!

P.S. How cool was it with Sam leaping in and out of photographs? I thought it was an awesome effect.

naggindragon said:
P.S. How cool was it with Sam leaping in and out of photographs? I thought it was an awesome effect.

Yes, I liked that too. I also liked the concept of Sam leaping into a dream in "A Leap For Lisa." It put a new interesting take on the whole "leap-in" thing. Perhaps that dream was part of the mind-merging that occurred during "The Leap Back." I guess that part of Al stayed in Sam after all.

QL Nut said:
Regardless of whether it's accurate or not, JFK is a great movie despite the fact that it's full of inaccuracies. It's just a movie that should be taken with a grain of salt. As to whether or not I believe the conspiracy theory, well... I guess it's just too easy to believe that a single man couldn't have assassinated the President all by himself, thus leaving the only other option a conspiracy. A lot of people wanted to kill Kennedy, but that doesn't necessarily mean they acted on it. I probably think "Lee Harvey Oswald" is more true to logic and history, being that the only thing to this day that can be "proven" is that Oswald pulled the trigger. So until the day it's proven otherwise, I believe he acted alone. There's just not enough logic that holds up to support a conspiracy. But I'd love to know how it really went down. :)

i seen a documentory a long time back about JFK, and by using film footage to establish the presidents position, and a laser to simulate a shot, they theorized (pardon the punn fello leapers) that the angle of the shot from the window where ozwald shot from would not be possible to inflict the damage it suposedly did.

stewkh said:
i seen a documentory a long time back about JFK, and by using film footage to establish the presidents position, and a laser to simulate a shot, they theorized (pardon the punn fello leapers) that the angle of the shot from the window where ozwald shot from would not be possible to inflict the damage it suposedly did.

Yes, but I've also seen a Peter Jennings news special on the assassination, where a 3-D mock-up of the Zapruder film was created, based on Dealey Plaza and exact placement of people in the film. The end result was that from a 3-D perspective, the trajectory of the bullets came from the Texas Book Depository. The point is: For every point there's a counterpoint that supposedly proves each side. That's why I go by the definite known facts──Lee Harvey Oswald was indeed there and shot Kennedy. Anything else at this point in time is conspiracy theory.

QL Nut said:
That's why I go by the definite known facts──Lee Harvey Oswald was indeed there and shot Kennedy. Anything else at this point in time is conspiracy theory.

ahhh my friend, very true, but to shoot at someone and shooting them are not necessarily the same thing.

imho, Ozwald was a patsy

I saw an interesting theory once. A scientist toot the photographs from Kennedy's autopsy and was able to trace the trajectory through his head. He then traced the bullewt to it's trace of orgin. It said that the fatal head shot came from a gutter infront of the presidents car, right next to the grassy knoll. They took a look at the gutter and there was just enough room for a someone to sit in there with a rifle, and would have had the right angle of entry.

Seeing the Zapreder film where his head went back and to the left. I just cannot see how a bullet that was traveling down and to the left could make his head go back and to the left. And leave an exit wound in the right portion of his forhead.

There are a couple of points that JFK made that, to me just make to much sence to ignore.

As for the magic bullet. I have seen a lot of thingsa that tall me that it is possible for all the wounds to come from one bullet, so I don't even question that. I belive that LHO was deffinately involved, but I don't think he was acting alone

I personally feel that Oswald was indeed responsible for killing Kennedy, but that he was part of something much bigger. I do believe that other people were in on it and possibly manipulated or ordered Oswald to shoot him, and that that's why Jack Ruby then came along and killed him... to prevent him from talking and giving the names of his co-conspirators.

Just my own theory, though. I try to make it a point not to rule out anything in this crazy world we live in.

I remember this from when it first broadcast on BBC2. I think I was 15, 16 something like that. It did kind of freak me out, I have to admit. It's been years since I saw it, and I guess I'll have to re-appraise it when the DVD of Season 5 is finally released in the UK. Time will tell, as to whether or not time has lessened it's impact. I remember it being quite controversial at the time...
It was a very daring episode.

When this ep was on last week on ITV3, it was my first viewing and I must disagree with you lot because it has been one of my favourite episodes so far!
I thought it was really interesting to see the QL writers perspective on the story. The acting was really fantastic in the episode, especially from Scott when he was in 'Evil Oswald' mode - it must have been really tough to memorise all of the codes he had to say, right?, but anyway the bit at the end where he leaps into the body guard in the car behind JFK's car and tries to run and save him is great, because it gives a bit of an 'explanation' of how in the zapruder film that bodyguard knew something was going to happen and ran before any shots were fired. And the little bit where it puts the twist that in the original history Jackie Kennedy died aswell is just genius.

Don't put this episode down just cos you've seen it before!!!

Enterprise said:
And the little bit where it puts the twist that in the original history Jackie Kennedy died aswell is just genius.

Yes, I always enjoyed that little twist as well. What better way to change actual history than to make up a previous history that got erased? Of course, the rest of the world would never even know it existed.

As to why Sam wasn't there to save Kennedy himself...I've always kind of figured that Kennedy's assassination was too large of a global impact; while Kennedy may have been a great president, if he had lived, it would have altered the course of history and perhaps led to different candidates later down the line, come election time. And perhaps those candidates would have taken the country and the world down a much worse path than Vietnam, perhaps even leading to an event like WWIII, as it almost did happen with the Cuban Missle Crisis.

This reminds me of Red Dwarf...
where because Kennedy survived, he was impeached out of office and the new president was controlled by the mafia, allowing the Soviet Union to build Nuclear weapons in Cuba. Therfore, the major cities in the US were deserted because they thought there'd be a nuclear war.
Haha I love this episode because the future JFK goes back in time and is the grassy knoll gunman. They joke that it is the ultimate conspiracy theory.
Oh and I also really like these two QL episodes as well, although I think they did slightly miscast the part of LHO.

Becky said:
Oh and I also really like these two QL episodes as well, although I think they did slightly miscast the part of LHO.

I never thought Willie Garson fit that part either. Gary Oldman was a perfect choice in JFK, though. I wish Don had been able to use him instead.

QL Nut said:
Yes, I always enjoyed that little twist as well. What better way to change actual history than to make up a previous history that got erased? Of course, the rest of the world would never even know it existed.

I liked that because it suggests why Sam ends up swiss cheesed after each leap. A present for those who couldn't understand the whole swiss cheese theory. :)

QL Nut said:
Yes, I liked that too. I also liked the concept of Sam leaping into a dream in "A Leap For Lisa." It put a new interesting take on the whole "leap-in" thing. Perhaps that dream was part of the mind-merging that occurred during "The Leap Back." I guess that part of Al stayed in Sam after all.

Perhaps indeed. Or maybe, just maybe, Sam will leap into the middle of a dream again! ;) On TVS that is.

Steve
RossBeckett

Enterprise said:
The little bit where it puts the twist that in the original history Jackie Kennedy died aswell is just genius.

I agree with that. That's why I also love the Elvis episode, because once Sam's done changing history, it's now back to the way it "really" happened.

It was like that in Goodbye Norma Jean too. Marilyn Monroe originally died 4 or so days earlier that she historically did, but when Sam changed history, she died on the day that was historically accurate.

Samantha Beckett