1126 Hornet's Nest

Hornet's Nest

• 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

Hornet's Nest
February 23, 1967

South China Sea (off North Vietnam)

Leaping into a U.S. Navy sailor, Sam tries to save the life of a drug-dependent sailor and meets up with the young Al Calavicci aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Hornet.

Written by: Douglas Laird

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of five raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 7.8

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Valery S. Gemini said:
"Straightforward" leap, but short and to the point. I just regret not to have read more about Al's feelings, because this must have been a real torture for him: asking Sam NOT to change his fate, when maybe only one or two phrases would have been enough. Consciously maintaining such a painful past, so as to preserve everyone else's future, to be sure PQL would exist, that all the lives Sam has changed would actually be changed... what a terrible decision he had to make! IMHO, this dilemma would deserve to be developed in another whole story!

RATING: 7

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
This was a great story. A great homage to ENTERPRISE by naming the captain Jonathan Archer, though we didn't see him. I like it when Sam leaps into Al's life. How he saved that sailor from the pusher was great. Good job.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
Doug's stories in recent seasons are often very touch-and-go with me. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I'm not that fond of them. Unfortunately, this is one of those times where I found myself saying, "That's it?" at the end. The writing seemed fairly fine, as indicative of the majority of Doug's work; but I felt like so much more could have been done to further develop Al's pre-POW years. This was one of those perfect opportunities to really explore what was going on in Vietnam at the time, to get inside Al's mind when he saw "himself" take off in that plane knowing that he won't be heard from again for another 6 years (or is that 3 years? I seem to recall another story a number of years back that repatriated Al 3 years early...); but all we got was a rather generic story about a drug pusher ruining someone's life, with the Al of the past as more of an "aside" than anything else. I just felt like the story needed more. Doug's stories also have a tendency to be too short, in my opinion. I did, however, like the Jonathan Archer reference and the story Al told of how he got his other nickname: "He came, he saw, he pounced." That's Al alright!

Not one of my personal favorites, but I'm in a fairly good mood today, so I'll give it a 7.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
This week?s episode was a simple, straightforward episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed it for that simplicity. I also enjoyed it because it gave us a glimpse, albeit only about 24 hours, into the life of what our favorite Admiral was like before Vietnam left its indelible scars on him. My heart went out to Sam for how badly he wanted to go to the young Bingo and try to save him from what he knew awaited him the next day. But the best scene, for me, was when Al quietly but firmly told Sam not to interfere:
?If you?re to continue doing good, then you must leave ?us? alone.?
I?ve said this before about Doug?s stories, and I?ll say it again, now, about ?Hornet?s Nest?: When I saw his name as the author, I knew I wouldn?t be disappointed, and I wasn?t. Great job, Doug! Keep up the good work!

RATING: 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
I thoroughly enjoyed this leap. Like Seeker, I didn't miss that one sentence that Al said... and for those who are doubting Thomas' about The Virtual Seasons... this story makes it!

Wonderfully done, Doug!

RATING: 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mystery Rater said:
"Hornet's Nest" was full of details, bringing the shipboard experience to life for this civilian. With characterizations spot-on for Sam and Al, and well-developed for the minor characters, this was a very entertaining read. The only thing I could have asked for would have been a bit more development in the "current" Al's reactions, but I guess that shall have to be left to my own imaginings. Overall a very nice Leap and tightly woven.

RATING: 8

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
(Originally posted by MikeKraken at: 4/10/05 3:42 am)

I was expecting there to be more to the situation with meeting Al... but I'm glad that things were left alone. I did like the ending and how Sam got to see Al take off, too late to try to tell him not to go (not that he would listen anyway). Al had the sense to know that his life would be totally different and perhaps would never even meet Sam. Sam had the heart to try, but maybe he knew, too, that it might be for the worst. (That aspect parallelled "M.I.A.", in a way.)

Overall, I felt the story was a little short and the leap was easy enough for Sam to accomplish. I'll rate it a solid 3: nice story idea and good writing. Well done, Doug!

... Mike. ^_^

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MikeKraken's Web Site Star Trek for Leapers forum Future's Past RPG

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -Mark Twain-

(Originally posted by Dman176 at: 4/11/05 1:33 pm)

?But then I will always wonder about what it might have been like. Yeah, I really wonder what might have been.?

I felt I had to comment on this line, because although Doug didn't realize it, this foreshadows something a bit further down the VS road. I can't say anymore than that yet, otherwise, I'd have to kill ya! :p

I noticed a minor error though: Doug mentioned the NCIS, but in 1967, I believe this is a mistake. According to the NCIS timeline at CBS's website, the NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service) was not officially renamed until 1992. In 1967, it would have been called the NIS (Naval Investigative Service). That timeline can be found here:

www.cbs.com/primetime/ncis/handbook/timeline.shtml

Why would I be looking up info on the NCIS, do you ask? Ah, now that would be telling! ;)

Damon

"Holographic observers! What a brilliant idea!" ? Professor Arturo, "In Dino Veritas"

(Originally posted by MikeKraken at: 4/11/05 8:42 pm)

I had a feeling that it was still called NIS during the time when this story took place... maybe you were the one that mentioned that to me a couple months ago, Damon? I know I heard it before reading this episode...

... Mike. ^_^

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MikeKraken's Web Site -=- Star Trek for Leapers forum -=- Future's Past RPG

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -Mark Twain-

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students." -Hector Berlioz-

Originally edited by: MikeKraken at: 4/11/05 8:43 pm

(Originally posted by leaper1 at: 4/19/05 2:59 pm)

It has mostly been said already.
A good premise, as usual from Doug.
A bit too short, as usual from Doug.
The line about leaving "us" alone was a great tear jerker. I love to see scenes where Al is the unsung hero.
At first I agreed that this warranted further development, but on reflection it was perhaps best left understated.

On the errors front, I am prepared to stand corrected, but I have a niggling feeling that in Leap for Lisa Al told Sam he didn't take up smoking cigars until after 'Nam.

Helen

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.
(Leo Buscaglia)

Leap and the net will appear. (Anon)

Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.
(Charles Dickens)