1104 Pride

Pride

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

• 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

Pride
June 3, 1981

San Francisco, California

In an interesting triangle, Sam must reunite a couple, stop a child from running away and still be there for a former lover dying from AIDS. Will he be able to stop everything from happening?

Written by: David K. Britz

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of five raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 6.83

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Valery S. Gemini said:
As I've lost two good friends of mine some years ago due to AIDS, I must say the second part was a bit painful for me to read, but that's life... I was also happy to notice that Al's acceptance of gay people has improved since "Running for Honor." But there's a few missing things in this story, such as the lack of development about Ratky's motives - otherwise I'd have rated it 8.

RATING: 7

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
No comment given.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
This was a good episode; however, there were a number of instances throughout the story that made it difficult for me to keep up with what was going on. Mainly, Frank and Eric's names kept switching around, and I often had to go back and make sure I hadn't missed something. The most confusing example of this was when the story would mention "Frank's wife," when in fact it was meant to say "Eric's wife." The main thing that really threw me off toward the end was when Sam and Eric were at the hospital running off to find Eric's son, then all of a sudden Sam yells back to Heather as if she had been there all along. And lastly, the fact that their son saw Al was confusing at first as well. It was never quite explained how he was able to see and hear Al. One simple sentence speculating on the reasons why could have sufficed. (Another very minor issue: it was never proven that Tommy York from "Running for Honor" was gay; only speculated that he was. I can let that one go though.)

Taking all of this into account, I had trouble deciding on what rating would be fair. While this leap dealt with a very sensitive subject matter, in the end ultimately, the confusion I had in reading certain parts lowered my enjoyment of what was otherwise a moving and touching story. So, after much deliberation on my part, I'm giving it a rating of 6 instead of 7.

RATING: 6

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
I lost my only brother to AIDS 10 years ago, so I related to this story. Discounting a couple minor things, this was a well written good story, though I do agree it could have done with a bit more fleshing out of a couple of the characters. My favorite line in all of it is the very last sentence. Well done.

RATING: 8

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Weitzman (a.k.a. Head Nozzle said:
I thought the heart of the story was very good. It was nice to see that the author chose to stay away from stereotypes and not make the homosexual characters campy. However, at times, I found myself confused from a continuity standpoint. People suddenly appearing in the scene as if they had been there all along (Heather at the hospital). Factual errors were present throughout such as Al saying Andrew had two months to live but then he dies from his illness at the end. At one point Eric says he was married for fifteen years and then later says it was twelve. I wanted to rate this higher because it started out to be a very interesting story but near the end, it became confusing and hard to follow.

RATING: 6

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tom Jarret said:
David did a good job in this story with a very tough subject. There was some true passion and conflict that came out well with all the characters. I have to admit though, that I did not understand Leo's motivation. In the end he proved a pivitol character and I would have liked to have known more about him earlier. I was also confused early on in the story where I think that Eric's name appeared when it should have been Frank's and vice versa. I was able to piece it together but it proved to be a distraction. I thought your conversations were sharp and your dialog was good. Those were my favorite parts of this story. I would have loved to have see more of Andrew's personal struggle. David, this was a good story and I look foward to your next.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
This was a tough leap for Sam. He managed to turn everyone against him when he needed their trust the most. Tsk tsk, poor guy!

This was a great story, David, but I got a little confused toward the end... things seemed a bit rushed at the hospital and the cabin, and I got a little lost in the dialog at that point.

I guess now we've seen a riot for equal rights in the original series ("Liberation"), and now in the virtual series. You handled a difficult topic quite well. I was almost hoping that Sam would tip off to Dr. Chang about AIDS/HIV, but he probably wouldn't even know what Sam was talking about.

Well done!

... Mike. ^_^

I think it has really been said: a promising, brave story, spoilt by lack of proof reading and continuity, and a rushed ending.
I'm sure there are several of us here who would be happy to check over your work next time David. Believe me it is worth it! When you write, you get so tied up in the story that you see what you expect to see. I know I do! That's why I always have a friend or two look over my work before I submit it.
Don't let the comments put you off writing though - you definitely have potential!