Region 4

ProfessorLoNigro

Project QL Intern
Aug 16, 2005
Washington, PA, USA
Given the big disappointment with the S4 Region 2 DVD music replacement, has anyone considered that the Region 4 Austrailan release, which by all accounts is a completely different release from R2 but has also had the music intact for the past 3 sets, may not suffer R1 and R2s fates? The Region 4 release of Quantum Leap: The Complete Fourth Season is due out 25 October 2006. I, for one, am optimistic that this could be our next leap to complete episodes. Does anyone else have info about this, good or bad?

-Prof Lo

ProfessorLoNigro said:
Given the big disappointment with the S4 Region 2 DVD music replacement, has anyone considered that the Region 4 Austrailan release, which by all accounts is a completely different release from R2 but has also had the music intact for the past 3 sets, may not suffer R1 and R2s fates? The Region 4 release of Quantum Leap: The Complete Fourth Season is due out 25 October 2006. I, for one, am optimistic that this could be our next leap to complete episodes. Does anyone else have info about this, good or bad?

-Prof Lo

Where does one even go to view region 4 dvds?

ProfessorLoNigro said:

-Prof Lo

Many R2 releases (QL included) can also be played on R4 (or even R5 sometimes), so I don't see why the Australian release would be any different.

Come to think of it, I don't even know why there is a Australian release date (as any Australian could buy the R2 version on the web) for (certain) DVD's.

Grimlock said:
Many R2 releases (QL included) can also be played on R4 (or even R5 sometimes), so I don't see why the Australian release would be any different.

Come to think of it, I don't even know why there is a Australian release date (as any Australian could buy the R2 version on the web) for (certain) DVD's.

Because the Australians, while they could purchase R2, get their own release, with their own distinct R4 PAL encoding, and their own packaging and discs as per their government rating regulations. This has happened with every QL season release to date. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that they could have used different masters for their transfers. If the UK problem wasn't a copyright issue and simply an issue of using the US transfer for time purposes or even without consideration of the differences, who knows?! Let's wait and see! It's something to hope for.

ProfessorLoNigro said:
Because the Australians, while they could purchase R2, get their own release, with their own distinct R4 PAL encoding, and their own packaging and discs as per their government rating regulations.

R2 is also encoded for R4 and R5.

When I said "to view" I meant websites to view Region 4 DVDs. Does Amazon have a region 4 version?

If nothing else, it provides a little bit of hope...will wait and see what happens...

mgcrans said:
When I said "to view" I meant websites to view Region 4 DVDs. Does Amazon have a region 4 version?

Just re-read your response and saw that you did answer my question...thanks so much. I will be watching...

No problem mgcrans. I'm just trying to hold out some hope here. The fact that another seperate QL release is coming that has had the original music for the past 3 seasons...I don't know...sounds like something worth hoping for. I wish I could get some more info, but R4 DVD news is somewhat scarce on the web, I've found.

I think it is safe to presume the R4 will be exactly the same as the R2.

Alot of R2 DVDs (bbc, universal) are usually encoded for both regions. In fact alot of Universal R2 and R4 dvds I ahve are all multi coded for R2, R4 and R5.

The packaging maybe different, but I am certain it will be exactly the same content.

Did anyone get this version yet? What were the results?
Yep, I bought it the other day, and bad news I'm afraid - the music has been changed. It is actually the same as the UK (Region 2) version, because it has the symbol for Region 2 as well as the symbol for Region 4 on the box. Stupid thing is though, unlike the US and UK versions, the Region 4 version doesn't have any sort of warning that the music has been changed. Oh well, if our season 5 dvds are the same as the US ones, it will be only one season out of five without the proper music.

veggie said:
Yep, I bought it the other day, and bad news I'm afraid - the music has been changed. It is actually the same as the UK (Region 2) version, because it has the symbol for Region 2 as well as the symbol for Region 4 on the box. Stupid thing is though, unlike the US and UK versions, the Region 4 version doesn't have any sort of warning that the music has been changed. Oh well, if our season 5 dvds are the same as the US ones, it will be only one season out of five without the proper music.

ALready owning the UK release, I knew the Region 4 release would be exactly the same. I find that strange that the warning about the music may be change was not on the R4 release, I need to see it myself.

ALot of other R4/R2 releases in AUstralia has that on other titles.