1224 The Calm Before the Storm

What is your opinion of this story?

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

The Calm Before the Storm
December 18, 1967

Washington, D.C.

As a federal agent in Washington, D.C., Sam finds himself deeply involved in an investigation that goes beyond anything he could begin to fathom.

Written by: Mike Bloxam

Thanks,
TVS Team

Our rating system this season consists of six raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.5

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Seeker said:
The pacing was great, the story line flowed, and from the opening scene I began to sense the underlying tension steadily growing as the story progressed to its conclusion, leading the reader to the threshold of next week’s episode. I thoroughly enjoyed “The Calm Before The Storm,” and you now have at least one rater dangling from tenterhooks all thanks to your skillful writing. Thanks a lot! ;)

Excellently done, Mike! Keep up the good work!

RATING: 9.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
All I can say is...WHOA!!! Things are taking a very interesting turn indeed. Poor Tom...it looks like he'll be working overtime to figure out what the heck is going on. As other raters have commented, if this is the "calm" before the storm, I can only imagine how rough the actual storm is going to be. Something big is definitely in the works if the lack of information for the remainder of the season is any indication.

Standing on its own, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I also couldn't help but notice the nods to Mr. Bellisario's other recent and current television series, JAG and NCIS. I hope it will be explained how Chip became a lawyer for the JAG Corps...or is this another change in history? Also, being a huge NCIS fan myself, I immediately recognized the names "Shepard" and "Jethro"... nice touch, Mike! :)

And then there's "Logan"... So, the pieces of the puzzle are finally starting to come together. So, that was indeed her in both "Killin' More Time" and "x 3." Things are starting to make a little bit of sense now as to why events in history, like "The Day the Music Died," are randomly changing. It must be her! I am VERY intrigued about what else will be developing because of her. And Al has awoken from his coma. YAY!! I knew he couldn't be out of commission for too long.

Looking forward to the next installment. Well done, Mike!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
A great story, very heart wrenching about Al, but I am glad that Sam doesn't remember, it would be very hard on him. Great job! As always!

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Allie Cat said:
If this is the calm, I'm not sure I'm ready for the storm! This story got my brain trying to wrap around all the little changes and the big ones, making me wonder if it can even be fixed! And with what is happening with Al... well, an Al-coholic can only handle so much before she screams for a resolution!

This story kept my attention from start to end and that's saying a lot. It was hard to concentrate on anything else with the story so tantalizingly (is that a word?) close, tempting me to ignore everything else that HAD to be done then and there.

My only problem with the story is that absolutely nothing is mentioned about how Julianna is taking her father being in a coma. After all, he had slipped into a coma after saving her from that plane crash in the previous story. I would think that she would be quite distraught, more so than all the others with the exception of Beth. Well, that's my take on things.

Now I have to wait to find out what happens. ::sigh:: Oh, the torture!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Vince Beckett said:
Things are getting really interesting. This story seems to be setting up the chaos that's about to follow. It doesn't appear to be a calm before a storm. It seems more like the beginning of the storm. I can't wait to find out what the big upcoming plot that's being kept a secret is.

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
It's not fair! I want to know more about what is going on! No one should keep it a secret, leaving us to wonder what's going to happen next week! The story was well written and thought provoking. Nicely done, Mike.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
Mike, this was great, full of suspense and mystery. Wow.
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
I was wondering how Buddy Holly wasn't discovered but then I remembered the (personally hated by me as it directly opposes the facts surrounding how Peggy Sue came about in a way that unlike the Jackie Kennedy bit, makes no sense at all) "Piggy Suey" incident.
Very clever touch!
The scenes with Beth and Al are absolutely beautiful. Well done all around!

:eek: Thank you all for your kind comments! I'm glad to see that so many people enjoyed the story and that the air of suspense I was going for came through.

Allie Cat, as for Julianna, I was trying to focus more on Sam's side of things for this episode, so that's why very little was heard of from the Infirmary. Thinking back on it now, I should have put her in one of the scenes or at least had Verbina make a mention of her status. Ah well, let's call it an "outtake". :b It'll be in the bonus section of the DVD set. ;)

... Mike. ^_^
(post #70)

As has been said, there is very little calm or calming about this episode - a real nail-biter.

Very well handled, Mike, you kept all the elements flowing well, and build the tension subtly and skillfully.

With the hints we have had in recent episodes (especially the bartender himself showing such concern) I have a feeling this season's two part finale is going to be a real doozy!

Great story. I see you had fun with Al being in the Coma. I'm glad it worked for you. Plus it shows Sam getting swiss-cheesed from leap to leap, not remembering Tom or his leaps with Al.

Very Good Job