Scott on American Body Shop

:D I saw the commercial for that too. I DVRed American Bodyshop the other night just to see what it was about because I'd never heard of it before. Gotta be truthful and say I wasn't impressed but with Scott guesting it will be worth it to give it another try.

There's another thread for this in the QL Discussion section and in that thread, there was a mention about something about Scott playing a one-legged drunk, womanizing Scott Bakula inpersonator. If any of that is true, that'd be pretty interesting to see.

I think it'd be interesting. It's not all that often we get to see Scott appearing as a guest star. But I do have to say that unfortunately it appears that he's having to resort to poking fun at himself, which reminds me a little bit of what David Hasselhoff had to do to stay afloat. We'll see how it turns out, though. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Hey! This sounds awesome!, what a shame I'll never get to see it. The more I find out about Scott, the more I think he's a great, down to earth, barrell of fun, bloke. I hope I don't ever meet him and find out he's a total jerk. I guess that won't happen unless he decides to visit Aus, and the boring side at that.

TrekToday had a description of the episode:

American Body Shop revolves around what Comedy Central calls the "mysterious and hysterical world of car maintenance, body work and the people who toil in it." In Bakula's episode, called "Juicy Lou's Quantum Leap," the employees of Desert Body and Custom decide to make their own television commercial to compete with their sworn rivals, Juicy Lou's Body Shop. The staff is amazed when they are able to secure a celebrity endorsement from none other than Scott Bakula, but things go awry when it turns out the man is nothing more than a drunk, womanizing, one-legged Scott Bakula impersonator.

As for Scott 'resorting to poking at himself,' from what I heard about this episode, it was actually written with him specifically in mind. He didn't choose this out of desperation; the writers wrote the script and sent it to him, and he liked it and decided to take the role.

Still, I have to agree that I'd prefer to see Scott star in a show again. Like, say, QL.

QL Nut said:
I think it'd be interesting. It's not all that often we get to see Scott appearing as a guest star. But I do have to say that unfortunately it appears that he's having to resort to poking fun at himself, which reminds me a little bit of what David Hasselhoff had to do to stay afloat. We'll see how it turns out, though. Hopefully I'm wrong.
There is a difference, though between being in on the joke and being the joke. SB has, I think, attained a kind of icon status that makes being in on the joke possible. Like the very famous and very funny appearance William Shatner made on Saturday Night Live (the infamous "Get a Life" line skit) years ago - recognizing that Shatner was so identified with Kirk, and that this whole cult thing had arisen because of it (that left him kind of baffled), and playing off of that status. That's way different than, say, present day has-been "celebrities" trying to get face time on "reality" shows like The Surreal Life, or Scott Baio is 45...And Single, or The Two Coreys - and no, I didn't make any of those up.

I'm not the demographic Comedy Central goes for anymore (and I'm not a big sit-com fan), but I saw clips of the ABS series on-line, and did laugh out loud several times.

We have a fantastic show here called "Thank God Your Here" its a set with a door and a live audience. The guest actor has no script, they knock on the door, walk into the set and have to ad lib from there, everyone else on the set has a basic script to work from, except the guest actor who has absolutely no idea what scene he is walking into. Its hysterically funny and the acting skills of some people are amazing. I would love to see Scott in this type of set up, I bet he would be one of the best. I'm sure there are similar types of shows elsewhere in the world. For all I know it was knocked-off from the US.

Figures!!! I thought it would be a rip-off from the US, unless or course the US got it from us :) ..... but I doubt it. Don't you think Scott would do great in something like this? I think he's got a pretty quirky sense of humour.

It is NBC that carries it here in the US and, according to their website, it originated in Australia.

I can't honestly say one way or the other how Scott would be in an improvisational environment. As easy as it looks, it's really pretty hard. I've gone to a lot of live improv shows and have even been brought on stage at a few of them so I've had a little bit of a first hand taste of what improvisation is like. The people who do it...they make it look easy. I've been fortunate to get to know two improvisational comedians, Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood. I've got to say they have to be the best at their craft.

jmoniz said:
It is NBC that carries it here in the US and, according to their website, it originated in Australia.

Wow!! Its been on here for a while so I guess it must be true. I'm sure Scott would be good, I think Dean would be even better! They are both fantastic actors and skilled at their craft.

It's not exactly my kind of show either. If Scott was looking to go completely away from his good guy image for a bit, he did it with this show. It's not a show that I would watch on a regular basis but Scott was on it so I made the sacrifice.:p

I've got to admit, I laughed a lot. I don't particularly like sitcoms (or, for that matter, slapstick), and it takes a fair bit to make me laugh out loud, but I thought ABS was pretty funny. I could have done without the ex-wife story line, but the other two plots were hilarious.

I wish it were on earlier (Sunday at 10:30 is so not doable for me), because I would watch it again. Unlike Old Christine, which I never went back to after SB's guest spots.

I thought it was wonderfully hilarious. I've never watched that show before (hadn't even heard of it), so was pleasantly surprised by how much I laughed (mostly in Scott's storyline).

I gotta say, Scott's really lookin' good. The longer hairdo does wonders for him; his hair was WAY too short on Enterprise.

Joy

tina_als_girl said:
I gotta say, Scott's really lookin' good. The longer hairdo does wonders for him; his hair was WAY too short on Enterprise.

Joy

Really? I'm not too fussed on the long hair,:eek I like it short and neat, I much preferred the enterprise cut, I think it makes him look older when its longer, anyway each to their own!!!;)

I thought it was hysterical that he had QL hair, which totally worked for the storyline.

As SBF noted in the other thread (in the General Discussion section), the episode will be repeated both on Comedy Central and Spike. Also, you can legally buy and download it from iTunes.

I didn't know just how much Scott stuff I was missing until I got the DVR...man, I love that thing almost as much as my QL DVDs! LOL

The more I watch this episode the more I like it, still not fond of that word he used for Dakota Fanning tho...IMO they should have used Lohan instead.:p