Anyone Published?

Sam's Crow

Project QL Intern
Jun 12, 2008
Liverpool, England
Are there any published writers on here? Whether it be just a short story/poem amongst an anthology or an actual novel. Anyone getting stuff done? Share with us any ideas you have for your latest work!:angel

I am personally not published. However, I am writing a video-game theme book, and I would like to talk to the creater of the series about it, but I doubt that I will have much luck.

Plus, my first draft of the book, which was 200+ pages (the books are supposed to be part of a series), was on the old laptop, and the laptop crashed before I could save it onto another computer. I lost all of it, that took an entire summer. Now, I find it hard to get inspired again. :banghead But rest assured, I will!

Sam's Crow said:

Thanks, although I have received complaints about it's binding, so due to that I've knocked down the book's price. If people want to buy it they can, I won't mind :p . But to any one interested, I will email them the PDF with the understanding not to copy it, for free. PM me if any one wants a copy :hat .

ohboy said:
Did you create Catwalk?

Yes, I did a few cartoons during the 90's and late in '99 I purposed the series to the newspaper's main editor. It took a few weeks to get the first script in the paper ( 1-18-00 :) ). Before the editor even saw the cartoon, I had drawn up three whole weeks worth of cartoons. That being done at first to show King ( a cartoon syndicate ) a series they might be interested in picking up.

Well, no wonder your Red Robin posts have been so good. I would love to read your preview. Maybe it will put the spark back in me to finish my own book.

ohboy said:
Well, no wonder your Red Robin posts have been so good. I would love to read your preview. Maybe it will put the spark back in me to finish my own book.

Thanks. I didn't get any support for writing when I signed up to writing forums, posting my stuff but here.:hurray:

I've been to a few writing forums. I think the difference is that in a place like this, reading is meant to be fun and relaxing. In some places, it is competiton as to who can write the best book, and everyone will always be ready to tell you (general you, not Sam's Crow you) why your book is not as good as some others.

Maybe you could start up a website dedicated to your book, and then post certain parts of it and have people review them in a respectful way. You could put the hyperlink on your signature. I got the idea from "Publishing for Dummies". Anyways, just a suggestion.

If you do, make sure to tell the site. It sounds very interesting, and I am especially interested in the <fantasy/science fiction/mystery> books.

:disbelief

Not all that, just at least one.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. When I started mine last summer, I could spend hours. Now, I've made five attempts to get past chapter 1, all to no avail.

That depends. If the character that died was a happy and fun-loving person, a meaningful but humorous rhyming limrick/stanza. If he was serious, then perhaps something about his achievement.

Who was the deceased, and what kind of work did he do?

Hmm. How about this...

"In his short life he touched us all,
His body may be dead, but not his memory."

I don't know what kind of person he was, though, so tell me if I missed the mark.

As long as you have a passion to finish it, then you should do it soon. My first book took four months for ten chapters (two parts to each chapter), with about 220 pages. For me, things Chapter 1 is the hardest part to finish, because I have no idea where to begin. After that, it was much easier.

Sam's Crow said:
I often have the same problem. I know how to end it and what can go in the middle, just now how to start it.
There is no law that says you have to write a story in the order in which it will be read.
My first novella "Terror Firma" ['published' at www.fanfiction.net - under the pen name 'madders ahatter' shameless plugosity] started with the 'climax' to the story, somewhere around chapter 13, and I worked my way back to the beginning and through to the conclusion 'joining the dots' if you like.
In fact, none of my stories have followed a set formula. I tend to start with an idea, whether it is the 'leap-in', or a specific scene, or even just an exchange between two characters. From there, I make notes, do a bit of research [or sometimes a LOT of research], write odd scenes as they come to me, and fill in the blanks as the muse takes me.

My advice to any writer would be - just relax into it and enjoy it. You can always tidy it up with the help of a beta reader once the first draft is done.