Explanation on why some leap-outs on the DVD's are out-of-order

Wrong Arturo

Project QL Intern
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago suburbs, IL
Hi, all,

I thought it might be useful to have a list of all the episodes on DVD where Sam leaps into a rerun instead of the next episode on the disc. This might help the people who write in and say, "Why is my DVD missing episodes?"

Based on what people have posted here, as well as remembering what's on my dog-eared VHS copies, this is the list I came up with:

SEASON 1

All Season 1 episodes were rerun during Season 2.

SEASON 2

Americanization of Machiko ? leaps into Color of Truth

A Portrait for Troian ? leaps into Camikazi Kid

All-Americans ? leaps into Color of Truth

Freedom ? leaps into Double Identity

Maybe Baby ? leaps into Star-Crossed

SEASON 3

Rebel Without a Clue ? leaps into Her Charm

A Little Miracle ? leaps into Sea Bride

Runaway ? leaps into Color of Truth

And when we get to the later seasons, we're likely to get these:

SEASON 4

Unchained ? leaps into A Little Miracle

Roberto! ? either Raped or A Single Drop of Rain (?)

Moments to Live ? leaps into Dreams

SEASON 5

Promised Land ? leaps into The Leap Back

Can anyone verify those leap-outs on the DVDs for Seasons 2 and 3?

Also, have people written and complained about this already? Should we send our complaints to the same address that we sent our complaints to about the music?

Lastly, if anyone spots any more wrong leap-outs, please post them here!

Wrong Arturo said:
Hi, all,

I thought it might be useful to have a list of all the episodes on DVD where Sam leaps into a rerun instead of the next episode on the disc. This might help the people who write in and say, "Why is my DVD missing episodes?"

Can anyone verify those leap-outs on the DVDs for Seasons 2 and 3?

Also, have people written and complained about this already? Should we send our complaints to the same address that we sent our complaints to about the music?

Lastly, if anyone spots any more wrong leap-outs, please post them here!
Good idea! Well, I can definitely add to this list:

SEASON 1:

"Play It Again, Seymour" ? leaps into "What Price Gloria?" from Season 2, but the reason for that was explained in the documentary. Besides, Seasons 1 and 2 had a slightly different format.

SEASON 5:

"Trilogy Part III" ? leaps into "Moments to Live"

(Repeat of "Moments to Live" then leaped into "Promised Land")

"Promised Land" ? leaps into "The Leap Back" (as Wrong Arturo mentioned)

"The Beast Within" ? leaps into "Memphis Melody" (which was originally scheduled to air after it, but was pre-empted and replaced by "The Leap Between the States" which ALSO leaps into "Memphis Melody" which DID air after it)

The rest of that list might be correct... honestly, the only one I'm sure about from Season 4 is the leap-out to "A Little Miracle." Hope that helps. :)

Damon

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that's great, Dman! Thanks for that. Very useful info.

I didn't know about Moments to Live (I didn't see Trilogy till it aired on USA), and I completely forgot about that whole Memphis Melody debacle.

Dman176 said:
"The Beast Within" ? leaps into "Memphis Melody" (which was originally scheduled to air after it, but was pre-empted and replaced by "The Leap Between the States" which ALSO leaps into "Memphis Melody" which DID air after it)

Thank you! This is one of those things that I didn't even remember I realized years ago. I used to have on tape the brief preview hosted by Scott and Dean of the rest of Season 5. Any idea of why the order got screwed up? I know "Memphis Melody" was filmed long enough in advance because of this preview (both "The Beast Within" and "Memphis Melody" were shown in it).

EDIT: I also wanted to add that maybe we should make this thread a sticky? Only for the fact that a lot of new members end up asking the same questions about these repeat leap-outs.

Last edited:
Ooh. Good catch, Sauron! Thanks.

My bad. Runaway does actually leap into Another Mother. Then Color of Truth was supposed to air as the next episode, but NBC pulled it and in fact planned to cancel the series. That was when the fans petitioned and got NBC moved back to Wednesdays, starting with 8 1/2 Months.

QL Nut said:
Thank you! This is one of those things that I didn't even remember I realized years ago. I used to have on tape the brief preview hosted by Scott and Dean of the rest of Season 5. Any idea of why the order got screwed up? I know "Memphis Melody" was filmed long enough in advance because of this preview (both "The Beast Within" and "Memphis Melody" were shown in it).
Yup, that preview was shown at the end of the 2-hour "Return/Revenge" movie, showing them on the set of the "Civil War" show, as Scott put it. I still have that preview on tape. As for "Memphis Melody," NBC had every intention of airing it after "The Beast Within," but for whatever reason, it got pushed back. They had even attached another short preview of "Memphis Melody" at the end of "The Beast Within" with Scott and Dean standing in front of Al's Place saying when Quantum Leap would "leap" back onto the schedule. Then, when it got bumped, they showed another preview of "Memphis Melody" at the end of "The Leap Between the States," only without Scott or Dean introducing it this time. My guess was that they possibly did not want to have Sam leaping into a Beckett right before he leaped as himself. *shrugs*

QL Nut said:
I also wanted to add that maybe we should make this thread a sticky? Only for the fact that a lot of new members end up asking the same questions about these repeat leap-outs.
Good idea! Stickied it is! :D

Damon

Dman176 said:
SEASON 5:

"Trilogy Part III" ? leaps into "Moments to Live"

(Repeat of "Moments to Live" then leaped into "Promised Land")

Strange, as for some reason i remember the leap into "Promised Land" out of "Trilogy Part III" . Then again, i used to watch the show on the BBC (not that the R2 DVD has the correct leap-ins, mind you), perhaps that has something to do with it. Or perhaps it was all a dream (peculiar thing to remember).

Yay! My thread got stickied! :)

Yeah, Dman. That ticked me off that NBC would so aggressively hype a particular episode and then pull it at the last minute. My guess is, the network decided to air Memphis Melody in April, when the TV fall-to-spring season technically ends, to get a last little jump in the ratings.

To my mind, though, it was still an incalcuably dumb idea. Anyone who didn't watch QL regularly and saw all the endless promotion undoubtedly tuned in that night, saw that the Elvis episode wasn't on after all, and flipped the channel in disgust.

[/QUOTE]

Why complain? They're giving us the episodes endings as they were originally broadcast. To me that seems like someone at Universal is *paying attention* and not asleep at the wheel. PLUS, with the Season 2 repeat tags, you're getting the alternate special effects shots of the Leap-ins that were created to integrate the S1 repeats with the rest of the season.

Aphelion said:

Why complain? They're giving us the episodes endings as they were originally broadcast. To me that seems like someone at Universal is *paying attention* and not asleep at the wheel. PLUS, with the Season 2 repeat tags, you're getting the alternate special effects shots of the Leap-ins that were created to integrate the S1 repeats with the rest of the season.
Well, the thing with Quantum Leap is that it was a unique show in terms of the way it was edited from week to week. For continuity purposes, some fans would prefer to see Sam leap into the next episode that is supposed to follow it, rather than seeing him leap into a "repeat."

Personally, it doesn't bother me so much, but that's because I got into the show when it was still on NBC. Many newer fans just discovering the series don't know about the way NBC used to edit the episodes each week, and it's created a bit of confusion. There should have at least been some kind of disclaimer or something somewhere on the DVD sets, or even a message that appears on the screen either before or after the episode that explains why the leap ending is different (for the people that don't know why). Not that hard to do...but then again, this is NBC Universal we're talking about... :rolleyes

Damon

Season 3 Question

There's several episodes where the leap that closes one episode isn't the same as the opening of the next episode.

Is there a reason for that? Are there missing episodes? Is that how the original series aired them? Because I don't remember them ever being that way originally.....

Anyone know?

Thanks,

RR

SamBeckettfann said:
this has been answered several times, that was how they aired becasue the next episode was not always ready so they would prepare for a rerun.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Yeah, and I figured it had probably been answered before, but I went back several pages and only saw one reference to it, and it didn't say whether or not that was how they originally aired or not.

Thanks again.....

Ricky Rebel said:
That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Yeah, and I figured it had probably been answered before, but I went back several pages and only saw one reference to it, and it didn't say whether or not that was how they originally aired or not.

Thanks again.....

no problem i didn't mind helping.;)

SamBeckettfann said:
no problem i didn't mind helping.;)
I know there's a lot of forums out there where a person will get flamed for not searching harder for an answer.

Thanks again for the help.

Ricky Rebel said:
I know there's a lot of forums out there where a person will get flamed for not searching harder for an answer.

Thanks again for the help.

yes i definatly know what you mean and i used to be a member of one, and they treated me and my fanfics like ****, so i quit and not long after i found this great place.

Al's Cigar said:
Does't this technically mean that some episodes are missing footage?

Actually, no. The episodes were designed to be interchangeable, with the exception of a small few:

* Shock Theater and The Leap Back (one leads right into the other - impossible to watch them stand alone and not get lost)
* The Leap Home Parts 1 & 2 (originally aired as a 2 hour movie)
* Trilogy Parts 1, 2, & 3 (parts 2 & 3 originally aired as a 2 hour movie)
* Return/Revenge of the Evil Leaper (originally aired as a 2 hour movie)
* Lee Harvey Oswald (again, originally aired as a 2 hour movie)
* and of course, Mirror Image :cry

Bellasario wanted an anthology series similar in flexibility like the Twilight Zone but also wanted there to be some consistency - thus our intrepid time traveler and his companion. :angel The idea is that any episode can go after any other in the anthology, no matter which season.

So, since I am assuming that we are talking about the DVD release of season 3 in Region 1 coding, the only thing missing is music - lots and lots of music. :disbelief

Kat

nope, because like SBF said, the only reason that they showed those leap ins were for continuity pupourses. If the following weeks eps were going to be reruns, they put the coresponding leap in with it

It's funny you should mention that - in Australia on a payTV channel called TV1 they had a couple of weeks where you'd write in what episodes of QL YOU wanted to see, and they'd show them with edited leap-ins so they could be shown back to back.

Hi, all! Long time no write.

I was just thinking...it might be interesting to have a list of all of the times that an episode was re-run on NBC. It seems to dovetail into the discussion above, but it might be a "just-for-fun" thing as well.

This list was reconstructed from old TV Guides, and from my memory--I had a lot of these episodes on tape from the reruns, and so would see the "wrong" leap-out when I watched it.

These are all the ones I know of. If anyone has knowledge of any other reruns, be sure to let me know!

If an episode was rerun more than once, I'll put a (2) or (3) by it to indicate the total numbers of times an episode was aired.

No reruns were shown during Season 1; in fact, all Season 1 episodes were rerun during the course of Season 2, so that's where I'll start.

SEASON 2

9/13/89 - The Pilot Episode (edited down into 90-minute "Genesis") (from Season 1)

10/13/89 - The Color of Truth (I didn't see this, but someone here posted that this episode was rerun at this time. Can someone verify this?) (S1)

12/20/89 - Camikazi Kid (S1)

1/24/90 - Color of Truth (3) (S1)

1/31/90 - The Way the Tess Was Won (S1)

2/21/90 - Double Identity (S1)

4/11/90 - Star-Crossed (S1)

5/30/90 - Another Mother

6/6/90 - Disco Inferno

6/13/90 - Blind Faith

6/20/90 - All-Americans

QUANTUM LEAP WEEK
6/25/90 - What Price Gloria?
6/26/90 - So Help Me God
6/27/90 - Good Morning Peoria
6/28/90 - Jimmy
6/29/90 - The Americanization of Machiko

7/4/90 - The Right Hand of God (S1)

7/11/90 - Animal Frat

7/18/90 - Good Night, Dear Heart

7/25/90 - Play it Again, Seymour (last episode from Season 1)

8/1/90 - Thou Shalt Not...

8/8/90 - Leaping In Without a Net

8/17/90 - Maybe Baby (moves to Fridays)

8/31/90 - Catch a Falling Star (this may have aired before Maybe Baby - I can't remember)

9/7/90 - Pool Hall Blues

9/14/90 - M.I.A.

Episodes from Season 2 not rerun on NBC: Honeymoon Express, A Portrait for Troian

Last edited:
OK. I found that I get cut off in the middle of what I'm doing if I don't post soon enough after I start a message. (Don't even ASK what happened last night!) So I'm doing this in bits and pieces.

Moving on:

SEASON 3

12/7/90 - Her Charm (from Season 2)

12/14/90 - Freedom (S2)

12/28/90 - Sea Bride (S2)

1/11/91 - Another Mother (S2) (The leap-out was for yet another airing of Color of Truth. However, the showing was pulled, as NBC was about to cancel the show. After the write-in campaign saved the show, NBC aired 8 1/2 Months without there previously having been a "leap-out" that led up to it.)

5/29/91 - Rebel Without a Clue (The show was back on Wednesdays at this point.)

6/19/91 - The Great Spontini (The show had been postponed for a couple of weeks due to NBA playoffs on NBC.)

QUANTUM LEAP WEEK II
6/24/91 - Leap Home/Vietnam (aired as 2-hour movie)
6/25/91 - Future Boy
6/26/91 - A-Hunting We Will Go
6/27/91 - 8 1/2 Months
6/28/91 - Private Dancer

7/3/91 - Miss Deep South

7/17/91 - Black on White on Fire

7/24/91 - One Strobe Over the Line

7/31/91 - Southern Comforts

8/7/91 - Glitter Rock

8/14/91 - Heart of a Champion

8/21/91 - Last Dance Before an Execution

8/28/91 - Piano Man

9/4/91 - The B**gieman

9/11/91 - Shock Theater

Episodes not rerun from Season 3 on NBC: Leap of Faith, Runaway, and Nuclear Family

BTW, are people finding this informative, or at least fun to read?

Well, that makes one, at least. :)

SEASON 4

12/11/91: A Little Miracle

3/18/92: Raped

3/25/92: A Single Drop of Rain (these two might be inverted - I can't remember)

4/15/92: Dreams

5/24/92: Permanent Wave (show moves temporarily to Sundays)

5/31/92: Play Ball

6/14/92: Hurricane

6/17/92: The Wrong Stuff (show back on Wednesdays)

6/24/92: Unchained

7/1/92: Curse of Phtah-Hotep (sp?)

7/7/92: The Last Gunfighter (special Tuesday airing)

7/8/92: Song for the Soul (Wednesday)

7/14/92: Ghost Ship (back to Tuesdays)

7/22/92: Roberto! (back to Wednesdays...gee, I wonder why the ratings dropped? Could it possibly be because NBC bounced it all over the schedule?)

8/11/92: Temptation Eyes (show moves back to Tuesdays for the forseeable future)

8/18/92: It's a Wonderful Leap

9/8/92: The Leap Back

9/15/92: A Leap for Lisa

Episodes from Season 4 not rerun on NBC: Justice, The Play's the Thing, Running for Honor, Stand-Up

While I'm pretty sure about the first three seasons, I'm doing a lot of guesswork and "swiss-cheese" memory on Season 4. So if anyone has any corrections, please speak up!

Season 5 tomorrow, if there's time!

SEASON 5

12/1/92 - Moments to Live (according to one of the posters here)

12/22/92 - The Leap Back (3)

5/30/93 - Nowehere to Run (Sunday)

6/1/93 - A Tale of Two Sweeties (Tuesday - these two may have been reversed...I can't remember.)

7/11/93 - Leaping of the Shrew (back to Sundays for the remainder of its run. This episode was supposed to be rerun on the 4th but got pushed back.)

7/18/93 - Dr. Ruth (?)

7/25/93 - Blood Moon (?)

8/1/93 - Goodbye Norma Jean (?)

8/8/93 - The Beast Within (?)

8/15/93 - The Leap Between the States

8/22/93 - Memphis Melody

8/29/93 - Mirror Image

Episodes not rerun from Season 5 on NBC (so far as I know): Lee Harvey Oswald, Killin' Time, Star Light Star Bright, Deliver Us from Evil, Trilogy, Promised Land, Liberation, Return/Revenge

As you can see, there are lots of gaps in my Season 5 list, so if anyone has more info than I do, then please send it on!

Whew. I think I'm done now. :)

The leap-outs being done out of order on the DVDs isn't fair to people who didn't get to see them done right. :realmad

I just had to state that, I bought season one because when getting TV DVDs I always like to get the first season first. Then I picked up the third season because that's basically what introduced me to the show. To fill in the gap later I'm picking up season two. Seeing a season three show leap back into a season two show, that's wrong.

I do have to say that leaving the incorrect leap-outs as they were originally aired was the only thing Universal did (or didn't do) that I agree with. I would have preserved the episodes exactly how they were also. The way I look at it is, if you're going to end up buying the sets, you have the episodes to watch anyway. And, for instance, if you happen to only want to own select seasons as systemcat does, I would think the small glimpses into other seasons would make me want to go out and get the seasons I don't have, anyway.

Another thing is that I was delighted to see the original Season 1 credit sequences and saga cells on the DVDs, as they were removed in syndication. Universal could have easily tampered with those, too, and just used Season 4's opening for all the episodes as in syndication. In fact, Universal did screw up two episodes from their original airings: "Play It Again, Seymour," which used Season 2's credit sequence, and "Mirror Image," which used Season 3's credit sequence (the original airing used Season 2's credit sequence). They're small complaints, of course, but it's a little irritating to me that these small things were tampered with for what's seemingly no real reason.