Sam-"I wanna go home" Bartender-"So go home, you'll only do this long as you want to"

NeuroMason

Project QL Intern
Feb 25, 2007
USA
Sam-"I wanna go home" Bartender-"So go home, you'll only do this long as you want to"

Sam-"I want to go home", Bartender-"so go home, you'll only do this as long as you want to Sam"--

So, what did he mean by this? HOW could Sam Have Gone Home "whenever he wanted to"??? Short of Sending himself a letter in the mail like he did in "THe leap back" warning himself that "if you get in the accelerator... you can never come back home".. I think that if there were to ever be a way of him getting home it would only be 1 way and 1 way only... If he sent himself a warning letter he could save himself from Being Stuck in the past but he would not have been able to save all those people that he's helped.. tough decision for alot of people..

:(

First, you're assuming that he would have even paid attention to the letter he theoretically would have sent himself. He was probably so wrapped up in the project at the time, being his life's work, that he would have no doubt risked what might happen in the future (or the past :lol).

However, I agree with you that it's confusing for what the Bartender said. I would say that it was a way to provide closure to the series, and that the fact Sam didn't leap meant that he accepted his life's work and decided on his own accord to continue helping others. However, that's the easy way out that, since I can't think of a good plot reason.

Thats what im saying... IF the series ever came back and even with a new cast, they wanted to Bring Sam Home.. I wonder what the plot would have to be? Circumstances? It would need to be something Clever in order to be interesting..

I really acually have a very very good Vision in my Head For a Quantum Leap Feature Film! I mean.. If others Could just see what envision....Im actually thinking about Writing it.. lol..

Paradox

The letter would set up a classic time paradox: if Sam followed his own instructions in the letter he wouldn't Leap, so he couldn't send it, so... you get the picture!

I always thought it meant that Sam was in control of the Leaps, not the project - and yes, he chose to continue helping people.

I really acually have a very very good Vision in my Head For a Quantum Leap Feature Film! I mean.. If others Could just see what envision....Im actually thinking about Writing it.. lol..

If you've got the vision, you definitely should write it. Go for it!

True about the Paradox.. well, how about this... Remember when (during the leap back) Sam and Al switched places due to the lightning bolt that produced enough energy combined with Sam leaping to leap both of them and in turn they switched places (which was only made truly possible because Sam and Al's Brain Waves are linked so there was a connection already) ok, NOW.. When Sam Leaps Normally He takes over somebody's "Body" and that person Takes Sam's Body in the "Waiting Room"... Ok, soooo.. how about they try temporarily stopping the link between Sam And Al, and Linking The person thats in the waiting room's Brainwaves (remember, they are using Sam's Body) To Sam's and then trying to Re-create what Happened to Sam And Al!!!! Hey, that might actually Allow Sam to Switch places with the person that he leaped into THUS, Returning Sam Back to His own Body!! During the Lightning Strike in "Shock Therapy" its as if that extra energy was the Missing Key to what PRoject Quantum Leap was needing all those times they tried to Retrieve Sam... WoW.. I may be onto something now! .. We May have a way to Finally Bring Sam Home!! ;)

No need for a letter.

The end of the episode proves that he realizes he is leaping himself, and he can leap AS himself anywhere in his own lifetime that he wants to.

He didn't need Al (the bartender)'s permission, blessing, or help, to leap back and talk to Beth.

Season 6 would have been very interesting, with Sam's ability to either leap where he wants into whomever he wants (or himself), or to "go with the flow" and let GTF choose the next person he helps.

As far as I'm concerned, he's no longer "stranded".

Either way, how do we explain "Stropa"? lol.. (spelling??) How did and why was that guy leaping himself around?? Thats something else ive wondered

Sometimes I've imagined Sam choosing when to leap and sometimes it being chosen for him.

**Chants** Write it! Write it! Write it!

Either way, how do we explain "Stropa"? lol.. (spelling??) How did and why was that guy leaping himself around?? Thats something else ive wondered
This was Stropa's assignment. To help Sam. He's a ghost, just like Angelita was in It's a Wonderful Leap.

Sam said "I wonder if ghosts are really just leapers?" or something to that effect.

Ok, that makes sense.. Stropa was a spirit like Angelina. SO that clears that up.. OH! ok.. since AL wasnt around to help Sam Out because they couldnt get a lock on him it only makes sense that Al's Uncle Stropa was sent as a GHost to help Sam out!! lol.. ok.. ANd as for the writing of the story i have in mind.. i'll probably do it.. it may take me a while though.. see, im not much of a writer at all... and never in a million years could see myself writing a book or a script for anything but maybe with some help of a few peers that i know that are into writing alot and etc. i can make one worth reading. I def. have a very very good story in my mind though! Its more like a vision that a director would have for filming a movie... i can see the scenes play out in my head.. its kinda a darker story for Quantum leap though.. i mean, as if "part 1" will be taking place Mostly in the present time... I think i would like to write it as good as i can and then pitch it as an idea for a feature film! lol.. i know thats a big step but.. who knows!? If we can't finish the story by getting the series back on television.. then we should all try hard to get one single film made that will help finish Sam's Story and maybe spark a new one with a new audience. ;)

I don't think the project would ever try something that would disconnect Sam and Al's Brainwaves. If something went wrong, Sam would be on his own.

And, you should deffinatly try to write it. If you need to bounce ideas around or help writing it, There are deffinately people on here that would be willing to help

I don't think the project would ever try something that would disconnect Sam and Al's Brainwaves. If something went wrong, Sam would be on his own.
Most of the fan fiction starts out immediately after Mirror Image with Sam being on his own. Him catching up with Al was presented in various ways.

The 2 hour Sci-Fi channel relaunch of Quantum Leap was going to start with Sam having leaped for 20 years without Al's help.

ANd as for the writing of the story i have in mind.. i'll probably do it.. it may take me a while though.. see, im not much of a writer at all... and never in a million years could see myself writing a book or a script for anything but maybe with some help of a few peers that i know that are into writing alot and etc. i can make one worth reading. I def. have a very very good story in my mind though!

I'd be glad to help, if I can. I fancy myself a writer and am working on a story myself. Unfortunately I've only recently discovered the VS stories here, haven't had time to read them yet, tho I have watched the show about a dozen times. You could at least bounce ideas off me - and I'm sure lots of others would help you, too.

So I'll continue the chant: write it, write it, write it!!

No need for a letter.

The end of the episode proves that he realizes he is leaping himself, and he can leap AS himself anywhere in his own lifetime that he wants to.

He didn't need Al (the bartender)'s permission, blessing, or help, to leap back and talk to Beth.

Season 6 would have been very interesting, with Sam's ability to either leap where he wants into whomever he wants (or himself), or to "go with the flow" and let GTF choose the next person he helps.

As far as I'm concerned, he's no longer "stranded".

Well problem with that is that he didn't leap in to any "body" when he leaped back to Beth. So does that mean Sam is leaping these days as a "ghost" that people can actually see or was there just no more body in the waitingroom? Than do we still need Al, I mean if Sam can leap home any time he wants to who needs Al, Sam could leap home for a minute and than talk to Ziggy himself. (confused yet?) :hmm

That is one of the questions that would have been answered in Season 6.

Some of the Fan Fiction, and indeed the Sci-Fi channel 2 hour special, were written in such a way that Sam's body never came back to the project, as a result the project was closed down.

Remember when Ziggy figured that Sam could not leap without the person he leaped into being in the Waiting Room? Then the episode Killin' Time seemed to prove it, as there was a time when Ziggy was 99% certain that he should be leaping. Yet I always figured that Sam deep down knew there was a problem yet to solve and so he couldn't just leap at that point.

You get into The Leap Back and Sam saying he'd been working on how to do precision leaping to pick and choose who he leaps into and I guess off-camera he entered some additional data into Ziggy and thus was able to leap into Al, bumping him out and back into the present.

Again, you've got this conflux of two ideas.

A) Quantum Leap is a scientific project that requires coordinates, physics, etc. Science solves everything.
B) Quantum Leap is an emotion-driven, fate-based situation, and conscious thought can drive where you leap, and into whom. State of mind solves everything.

It's something Bellisario skated around for 5 years. Whenever we got too close to the science, he'd back off and say "it's a TV show". Whenever we got too close to the emotional aspect, some scientific solution presented itself to save the day.

Season 6, if it were done in a smart way, would have tackled the conflict head on. It's why I was so looking forward to Season 6 because with Mirror Image, the idea of the "simple leap-of-the-week" that Sam is just bumped into some random person is gone. We've grown past that. After Mirror Image, every leap would be a choice. GTF might have grabbed Sam at the beginning and set him on his way, but after that, Sam had to grow as a person.

Frankly, Sam having a swiss cheesed memory after The Leap Back (about Donna) and the Trilogy (about Sammy Jo) was a convenient plot device to keep Sam from thinking too hard about the Project. Up until Mirror Image, the writers were able to keep Sam "in the box".

By leaping into Beth's house in his own body, Sam took a step forward in independence and choice. He's no longer the frightened, confused, fate-driven scientist who has no way out. Now, he has the choice. He has some say in the matter. Which is why that end title of "Dr. Sam Becket [sic.] never returned home." was so gut-wrenching. Sam has just been given his wings, and 60 seconds later, they're clipped off.

I find it impossible to believe that Sam would have stayed away indefinitely knowing that Donna and Sammy Jo are still around.

And storylines after Mirror Image that suggest that Dr. Beckett is "trapped in time" are kind of an insult (in my opinion) to the foundation laid by Mirror Image.

Again, you've got this conflux of two ideas.

A) Quantum Leap is a scientific project that requires coordinates, physics, etc. Science solves everything.
B) Quantum Leap is an emotion-driven, fate-based situation, and conscious thought can drive where you leap, and into whom. State of mind solves everything.

It's something Bellisario skated around for 5 years. Whenever we got too close to the science, he'd back off and say "it's a TV show". Whenever we got too close to the emotional aspect, some scientific solution presented itself to save the day.

Season 6, if it were done in a smart way, would have tackled the conflict head on. It's why I was so looking forward to Season 6 because with Mirror Image, the idea of the "simple leap-of-the-week" that Sam is just bumped into some random person is gone. We've grown past that. After Mirror Image, every leap would be a choice. GTF might have grabbed Sam at the beginning and set him on his way, but after that, Sam had to grow as a person.

That's an interesting point, but I would disagree with one part of it. I think the original premise of Quantum Leap was simply for Sam to leap around in time, helping random people. I can understand the point of wanting Sam to "grow" as a person, but that would have most likely changed the scope of the show in a way that some people (myself included) probably wouldn't be too comfortable with.

I've been reading Quantum Leap: Virtual Seasons, and one thing that I've noticed repeatedly was the extensive use of the project, where Sam's leap sometimes took a secondary role to drama at the project. I wouldn't have wanted that to happen in season 6, personally. Sam was meant to leap around in time, helping random people, and getting too deep into something that isn't that goal would seem to be less like Quantum Leap and more like just another science fiction show. I know that you never mentioned that, but I think that by focusing more on Sam, the project will no doubt have a bigger role as Sam will leap into those close to him.

Just my opinion though, if I make sense, and I do think that you made good sense with your argument. :)

Well, that's part of why Quantum Leap had such a diverse audience.

Some of us tuned in for the Sci-Fi.
Some of us tuned in for the drama.
Some of us tuned in because Scott is a hunk.
Some of us tuned in because we have a lot of respect for Dean Stockwell as an actor.

I'll cop to some of those. ;)

I will say the most interesting parts of the show *for me* took place at the project. I was interested in the Handlink, Ziggy, time travel, quantum mechanics, etc. etc. just as much as the leap-of-the-week storylines. I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea though.

I should probably mention, then, that I always liked Quantum Leap not so much for the aspect of science, but for the drama and the slow character development of Sam. Similar to me liking Monk because it was a slow journey to finding his wife's killer.

But that is what makes Quantum Leap great. There's something for almost everybody.

I've been reading Quantum Leap: Virtual Seasons, and one thing that I've noticed repeatedly was the extensive use of the project, where Sam's leap sometimes took a secondary role to drama at the project. I wouldn't have wanted that to happen in season 6, personally. Sam was meant to leap around in time, helping random people, and getting too deep into something that isn't that goal would seem to be less like Quantum Leap and more like just another science fiction show. I know that you never mentioned that, but I think that by focusing more on Sam, the project will no doubt have a bigger role as Sam will leap into those close to him.

Just my opinion though, if I make sense, and I do think that you made good sense with your argument. :)

I've got agree with this. I tried to read the Virtual Seasons but the whole aspect where Sam's leaping seemed to take a backseat really changed the whole thing for me too drastically. I'm sure there's some very fine writing there but, to me, it strayed too far from what QL was and I just threw the towel in. To be perfectly blunt, I don't really care what's happening at the project. I don't care about Beth or if Al has kids, etc. And I certainly don't care about Donna. I found the character mildly annoying in StarCrossed and I just wanted somene to push her off a cliff in The Leap Back...so I certainly don't want to read about her.

For me, QL was about two things: Sam leaping into the lives of random people and leaving those lives for the better; and the relationship that was built between him and Al and how it helped Sam on the leaps.

If Season 6 was going to be that radical of a change, I've got a feeling it would have been picked as the point where QL "jumped the shark".

Yes, it would end up being practically a different show. I'm sure if there had been a season 6, they would have found a way to put the format back pretty close to the original. That would annoy some people who wanted to see new vistas opening up, but probably most viewers would prefer it. Personally, I would be happy with some scenes at the project, but it would have to be carefully done or it would radically change the show. Either Sam would be in the backseat, or if he's leaping home whenever he wants, he would become just another superhero with magic time-travel powers. That wouldn't interest me.

I guess I trust that even with the influx of the "science" part of the show and the "project drama" part of the show, they would have kept it interesting. The tension of balancing the needs of all the lives Sam could fix, over Sam and Al's own life, would have been interesting to me.

Every episode of NCIS is consistently good. In Bellisario we trust. :)
Now, that NCIS: LA show... I dunno what's going on with that. ;)

Something else that springs to mind are the Evil Leapers. If Sam did return home, I could easily see this format: Sam leaps into one of his friends, the evil leaper (probably Thames, but whoever decides to replace Zoe) tries to stop Sam. Sam wins, and on to the next leap. I liked the evil leapers, and I think that they made the show interesting, but only if used sparingly, and only if they can still be secondary to Sam's leaping. I liked the episode where Sam and Alia had to escape the woman's prison for that reason, since while it used the evil leapers as an important plot element, it didnt' get too indepth into their project (probably because they were saving that more for season six).

My point in all that is Sam's un-random leaping would probably, to keep the show interesting, require that it become a weekly battle of Sam versus the Evil Leapers, and I can't say I would like that. It would either make the show too dark, or too cheesy as they try to keep things original with the good-guy/bad-guy routine.

Also, to clarify something above, I think Jmoinz did a good job of stating what I was thinking. I don't mind the project being used if it is helpful to Sam's leaping. Killin' Time was among my favorite episodes, since it let Al have a little more action than usual. But I'm afraid project drama just wouldn't interest me, nor would Al's family life.

Also, I've seen one episode of NCIS, and I could admit it was good. Never seen NCIS: LA, but I'll take your word for it. :lol

I don't see them making Evil Leapers a prominent part of the show. I think we might have seen one with Sam and Alia both leaping into a situation. I can hear the promo now "A leap so big, it will take 2 leapers to work it out."

And just because I love Carolyn Seymour, imagine an episode telling some of her backstory. We don't even know what happened to her. Is she really dead? There are so many possibilities.

With the hustle and bustle of TV show production these days, they often have 1 episode a season which is sort of tertiary to the main characters and just links into them. And while it's frustrating for some to have an episode that's not the usual style, these can turn out to be great episodes if done right.

I point to the episode "Blink" on Doctor Who. The Doctor appears for less than 5 minutes of the whole episode yet it's one of the best.

Ah... Reading some of my previous postings, I don't want to look like I come off as "EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T SAM LEAPING IS EVIL AND MUST BE DESTROYED!!!" :banghead:realmad:shoot

I think it's a nice touch when there are episodes where the project is used to help in a leap, or when the Evil Leapers come on. I wouldn't even mind seeing a backstory of Zoey in an episode. My primary worry, as are probably others, is that Quantum Leap's primary point, "Dr. Beckett leaps from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home", would be compromised for what would make it just another science fiction show, another drama, or another superhero show (Sam versus Zoey/Thames/Lothos/etc.).

Considering the direction that Season Five was taking, with a great deal of celebrity references (Maryliyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Dr. Ruth, and Lee Harvey Oswald), the increased use of the project, and the concept of the Evil Leapers, I think that there was the beginning of a shift to something more dramatic. I don't know, it seems reasonable that Evil Leapers and the project could have been tied together in season six, and used more extensively, but that could just be me. The bartender's warning seemed like a prelude to that event, giving a plot reason to focus more on those two things by giving an excuse to end the randomness of the leaps and begin a set of recurring characters and plot devices.

Again, the project and Evil Leapers can add diveristy to the show, and as you said, a one or two episodes that are different are usually alright. But I think the show would have gone beyond one or two.

I agree that too much of the evil leapers and/or PQL HQ would get old real quickly. But it seems to me there's a possibility I've not seen mentioned here: Sam can Leap on his own WHEN HE WANTS TO, otherwise GFTW could still send him on random missions. It makes a great "out" for the writers, the show could've continued as usual with the occasional episode where Sam chooses his destination.

You make a good point in bringing that up, Sherwash. I guess that you're right, though I would still be hesitant in trusting that too much, since again, there appeared to be the beginnings of a shift in thinking.

I heard somewhere that if Season 6 did exist, Al the hologram would of been a leaper too! I read on another website that Sam leaped again in his own self to a far place beyond Sam's own lifetime! The only way for Al of the future to find Sam was for him to step into the accelarator and leap into Al's place, for he had no one in the waiting room again to get a time frame.

Al Calavicci knew that only Al in Cokeburg of 1956 could help him locate Sam, but being Sam not being in the bar anymore, the only way to talk to the mysterious man was to go there himself. At Beth's request he took the journey as his 39 year wife was certain he would return again a second time.

When Al met Al face to face, he was just as reluctant to the hologram now leaper as he was to Sam before. After Calavicci pointed out that Sam needed him, he finally gave in only to make the new leaper accept responsability for his actions of leaping. So, Al leaped into Sam's location in time, but into a beautiful young woman!

In my opinion, if Al was happily married to Beth; he could not be the woman chaser he always was in the other 5 seasons. That would eliminate the comical element of Al and made the show boring. So if Al was swiss cheesed like Sam, he could not remember Beth. Then he could be free as before!

Always last seasons of series of many TV programs have major changes. Many shows give the supporting cast more active roles in their final season. Also, major story changes take place as well with many premises in many shows. Quantum Leap is no different, so why not promote Sam to a better role and do the same to Al.:hurray: