1213 Running Against Time

What is your opinion of this story?

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Dman176

Running Against Time
September 30, 2004 ? October 25, 2006

Stallion's Gate, New Mexico

After being trapped in the past, Sam, Sammy Jo and Stephie Hartmann must save the Project and everyone who works on it while also working on a new retrieval system.

Written by: Douglas Laird

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of six raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 8.59

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Seeker said:
Well, my fingernails held out and I?m glad they did, because the anticipation was well worth the wait. It was very much an entertaining read; once I got started on it, I had to finish. This story just kept drawing me along until all of a sudden there I was, at the end. Sam?s leap out brought this solid, beautifully written story to its logical and, for this rater, satisfying conclusion.

No, there wasn?t as much action and edge of your seat tension as in the first part of this story (Time Travelers? Aid Society). Yet for all of that, we are given the treat of watching Sam being able to interact with his family and friends at the Project again as well as saving their lives and future, and helping Teddy return safely to his own time. I thought it was rather nifty that Sam was given the rare privilege of meeting his own great-grandson, even if he was only allowed to put two and two together in the last moments before leaping as to Teddy?s relationship to him. We also got to watch Sam handle, honorably, the personal situation with Stephie, as well as making a positive change for her future. To use a familiar phrase from a well-known book?and it was good. Running Against Time was very good, from the first word to the last.

My hat?s off to you, Doug. You are one excellent story weaver, and I say again, kudos, and thanks for another great story. Keep up the great work!

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
This was a very interesting new approach to a Quantum Leap story. I've always wondered what could happen if Sam got stuck on a leap and was forced to continue living his host's life until he caught up to his own "present." For the most part, I enjoyed this 2-episode arc a great deal, although, as some of the other raters have sited, I felt this second chapter could have been developed a slight bit more. There were some scenes that, although fun, were not necessary for the plotline, per se (i.e. the scene with Tina). I personally felt there were a couple of missed opportunities to explore PQL's past 2 years. Saying that, I was glad to see a few details being addressed; plus I also realize that the author did not wish to focus too heavily on TVS continuity so as not to distract from the general story being told.

I also felt the ending was somewhat anti-climactic compared to the way Part 1 ended. On the other hand, I like how the timeline "resets" after Sam fixes everything so that neither he, Stephie nor Sammy Jo remember the past 2 years. Although, assuming I read it correctly, Doug has left it open to bring Stephie on to PQL full-time... so I guess only time will tell (pun intended). :p

My overall rating is 9.0. One of your best stories to date, Doug! And I'm a tough guy to impress sometimes! Well done!

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
A fitting conclusion to this great story, Doug. I like the way that Sam and Al run afoul of these military men who have a somewhat "god" complex. Hawkins, now Henshaw. They always get their comeuppence in the end. Again, a great job!

RATING: 8.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Allie Cat said:
Whereas the first part was interesting and even exciting, this story is almost anti-climatic in its resolution. There are some great scenes ? my favorite is when Sam goes to the infirmary to find Beth and Al coming out of Beth's office looking a little TOO content ? but there were also scenes that did nothing to help the story, like the one with Tina taking pictures ? even if it was good to see Tina in a story again. In general, the suspense just wasn't there like it was with the previous story. Still, it was well-written and very descriptive.

Good job, Doug!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Vince Beckett said:
It was a good story, but it could have had Sam leap to the appropriate time to save Al instead of him waiting 2 years. Still I enjoyed it.

RATING: 8.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gooshie said:
This must be a new record for the length of a leap into one person, two years. Although I really enjoyed that aspect, what of the very active life that Hoss had back in Quincy? You would think people would question his sudden disappearance. That was one little niggle for me, but I guess it doesn't matter since Sam ended up leaping at the right time. Aren't paradoxes fun?

I felt that this conclusion was not of the same calibre of "Time Travelers' Aid Society", but it was still an enjoyable read. The continuous change of scene was interesting to read as the months passed by but it got a little confusing at times.

Overall, this is a great two-part story. Well done, Doug.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited by a moderator:
What a cool concept! Sam being stuck in the same person for so long sure was a different idea that I've never read in the QL universe. I guess when he changed history that will never have happened, but still, neat idea. I'm more curious about Teddy, though... will we hear from him again, or will he prescribe to his rules of non-interference? :nut A new mystery for The Virtual Seasons, I guess. haha

Just one little nit-pick: the word is not "Fu?hrer", it is "F?hrer".

I'm surprised this was only a two-parter... it was longer than a lot of other stories (or at least seemed that way), but I believe it was partitioned nicely. I had the luck of reading both one day after another so I didn't forget what happened in the first story.

You've written some great stuff here... hope to see more like it!

... Mike. ^_^
(post #40)

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed this ep as well. But, how about this.Since Ziggy can remember both the origonal histories and the revised history in a normal leap, will she remember that Sam ha returned for so long. Also, would she retain the information about the new retrieval program in her memory banks?

:\
Al's Handlink said:
Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed this ep as well. But, how about this.Since Ziggy can remember both the origonal histories and the revised history in a normal leap, will she remember that Sam ha returned for so long. Also, would she retain the information about the new retrieval program in her memory banks?

You have a couple of good points. Would Ziggy give the PQL staff in the current timeline the benefit of Sam's work on the retreival program or would it be kept secret since its in another timeline? To keep to the premise of the show it would have to be the latter.

I know that the second part of the story did not have as much action, but it really couldn't and still maintain the existng timeline. Instead Sam (and the readers) were able to visit with the daily lives of the PQL staff and learn more about them.

I hope everyone enjoyed a littele different approach to one of Sam's adventures.

Doug2001 said:
:\

You have a couple of good points. Would Ziggy give the PQL staff in the current timeline the benefit of Sam's work on the retreival program or would it be kept secret since its in another timeline? To keep to the premise of the show it would have to be the latter.

I know that the second part of the story did not have as much action, but it really couldn't and still maintain the existng timeline. Instead Sam (and the readers) were able to visit with the daily lives of the PQL staff and learn more about them.

I hope everyone enjoyed a littele different approach to one of Sam's adventures.

My favorite part of the story really was the tribute to "2001: A Space Odyssey" :D For those who missed it, here it is (no worries, it doesn't give away any of the storyline):

Ziggy: "Doctor Fuller, I can see you?re really upset. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly and take a stress pill."

In "2001", the line is: "Dave, I can see you are really upset. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over."

Very neat tribute! I just hope Ziggy doesn't turn into HAL on us. YIKES!

Kat

I had a bit of a hard time getting into this one. I too wonder about the predicament of Hoss being "missing" for two whole years, especially how involved in his community as he was. The criss-crossing with various PQL staff began to feel a bit odd to me at times. But it was nice to see another side of things.

MikeKraken said:
Just one little nit-pick: the word is not "Fu?hrer", it is "F?hrer".
Oops, sorry, that was a mistake on my part. I did the final edit on both parts and often looked up certain words to make sure they were spelled properly. "Fu?hrer" did kind of look funny to me, but for some reason, that's how I thought it was spelled. My bad. Sorry about that. :p

Damon

2nd Part appreciated

I really liked the second part of the story. It was interesting to read the parts with Donna and Stephen and how Sam's mind picks up on this and runs with them. Sammie Jo was also great. Thanks for the look into PQL.

Great episode, some thing before reading this one I never thought about Al wanting to cut-lose after helping Sam. Wonder if Sam still gets to keep all his memories after this? Oh well, I guess I'll find out next episode.