The Passion of the Christ

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
I went to see the movie tonight. It lasted right at two hours. It begins just after the last supper and goes through the events of the 12 hours leading up to Jesus' death. It is extremely graphic as I was told it would be but this was perhaps the most powerful movie I have ever seen. I'm not one to cry at movies, but you can't help it. I have heard the story in Sunday school and church but I don't think I truly appreciated it completely until I saw this. After about 5 minutes you completely forget that you are reading subtitles and hearing the arabic language. I found out that "The Passion" is taken from the Latin for suffering, but also meaning a profound and transcendent love so that's where the title comes from. Some people were telling me that they thought Mel Gibson was playing Jesus in the movie but that isn't the case, Mel directed the movie as is not actually in it. It is very realistic and if you absolutely can not handle blood in movies then don't go, but if you decide you want to see it, it's really worth it. The ending is well I can't put it in words but it is just something. Thought you all might be interested in hearing what I thought of it.

If you want to read more about it, see the website: www.thepassionthemovie.com/

Re: My Experience with The Passion

My God Shane!:cry That was very well written. I feel for you and your wife. I do. No, that doesn't mean that I know exactly how it feels, but I feel for you.:( Whatever happened to your daughter, I hope she gets better.
I remember starting a thread on another board called "Who killed Jesus? And Mel Gibson's The Passion". I included a link to the newsweek website because I first "heard" of the movie via one of my newsweek magazines. It made the cover of the 2 mags that I have a subscription to. Newsweek and EW.
Sounds like Mel Gibson has found another great talent; directing. Has he directed any other movies?

~Steve(aka RossBeckett)

Steve -- He directed "Braveheart", I believe.

Everyone -- I wish I could add more to this thread, but Shane and Brian have said it all. I could not say it better.

I saw that movie on its first weekend. I came out of there shaken, but knowing that this was a movie that was needed in this point in time. I hope everyone eventually sees "The Passion of the Christ".

Joy

Whew. I think everyone has already summed up my feelings on this movie very well. Normally one to come out of a theater chattering for hours about what I liked and disliked, I don't think I managed more than a few words during the ride home after seeing The Passion. It leaves you dried up (cried out) and emotionally spent. Very moving, and very beautiful. It's funny that such a violent movie could be described as "beautiful," but it's true. I encourage anyone who wants to experience something powerful to see it.

Yeah, Gibson has directed other movies. He produced/directed Braveheart, directed The Man Without a Face, and produced a few other movies. And Mel did have a small but very important role in The Passion of the Christ: His hand was holding the nail that went into Jesus' hands.

-Biridox

Well, I might as well share my thoughts on it...

My father wanted my sister and I to see it with him on Easter Sunday. I was very adamant at first, not because I didn't want to see it, but because, emotionally, I wasn't sure I was ready for it. In a way, I'm still not sure I was ready for it, but I sat through it anyway.

Words can't begin to describe what went through my mind seeing the amount of suffering Jesus went through. I know that it was just a movie based on written accounts from the Bible, but regardless of whether you believe if Jesus was really the Son of God or just a humble carpenter or what... they really did those kinds of things to people 2,000 years ago. No one ? NO ONE ? deserves the amount of torture those bastards put him through.

I felt... ashamed of being a human being. I actually found myself thinking repeatedly, "We are such horrible, horrible, despicable creatures. God should have opened up the gates of hell itself and terminated our existence right there and then." I felt incredible sorrow and rage all at once. I honestly can't fathom how God could have allowed this to happen ? why He felt a sacrifice had to be made to "save us from our sins." To see the soldiers take great delight in his flesh literally being ripped off his body by the whip... well, I guess my limited mind can't comprehend how God could deem humanity "worthy" of His forgiveness...

Even hours after watching it, being with family, friends and what not, I was shaking. I kept rubbing my wrists, "feeling" the nails impaling them. So much controversy over who killed Christ, and yet, when I watched it, I wasn't seeing Romans or Jews, or whoever... I was seeing human beings killing Christ and I cried my eyes out...

For what it was, it was extraordinarily powerful. I felt horrible after seeing it, and that's exactly how you're supposed to feel. I'm glad I saw it, but I honestly don't think I can ever handle seeing it again...