SyFy talks new QL

rtc125

Project QL Intern
Apr 2, 2009
Michigan, USA
Brief reference to a possible Quantum Leap reboot by SyFy's (formerly Sci-Fi Channel) director of programming can be found here. Thoughts?

Clearly Don has veto power here. If he does not like what is suggested, it not going to happen. We should all be grateful for that. This is not a case were just because Universal and Sci - Fi, or whatever its spelled now, can put a version of QL just because they own the rights.

I have always the way to do it is a few tv movies with just Scott and Dean. Tying up loose ends. THEN they could slowly transition to newer characters.

Of course a full out revival of the old show exactly as it was would be great. But it sounds like Dean is mostly retired from acting.

I would love to see a new Quantum Leap. Especially if Scott and Dean at the Very least Co-star occasionally. But they should go with the Idea that has been floating around the Internet for a While. Have Sammie-Jo leap to find Sam, Maybe with a new Observer. And have Al be the project head, but work a little more behind the scenes. But Obviously, the Best case scenario would be to have Scott and Dean back on a full-time basis.

I think, if it goes through, that would be wonderful and I would have to find out if I even have the Sci-Fi Channel on my television. That would be wonderful if it goes through, though.

Personally, I wouldn't want the show to become "darker". I liked it as more of a drama that uses science fiction mostly to set up the premise, rather than use science fiction throughout. If it did come back, I would also hope that the Evil Leapers would be addressed in further detail, but I hope that they are used in moderation, and not as a portal to a "darker" Quantum Leap.

Those are just my thoughts, though. Thanks for sharing.

Notice that the headline says a "darker Quantum Leap" but no mention of that in the article.

Nice to see this writer say that Quantum Leap was THE DEFINITIVE TIME TRAVEL SHOW. Which is true after QL nothing comes close.\

Sounds like there are no clear plans just wanting to do a time travel show and knowing QL is the benchmark.

The way I read the article -- and the QL reference is very, very brief, so I may be assuming too much -- they're thinking a total reboot. That would likely mean no Scott, no Dean, etc., and probably new people playing the same characters, or different characters with the same premise. I struggle with that notion ... but given what Scott and Don said at the convention about the likelihood (or lack thereof) of a reunion, that may be the only way we ever see a revival of Quantum Leap.

Definitely not interested in a "darker QL" - I like light-hearted scifi, thank you very much.

Thanks for posting the link!

Clearly Don has veto power here.
Is it really a blessing that Don has now turned down 2 Quantum Leap projects sight unseen, one by Deborah Pratt, and has no known plans of his own?

When QL was on, there were so few markets to keep such a show going. Now, you've got shows on USA and TNT which are kicking the network's BUTTS.

Is it really a blessing that Don has now turned down 2 Quantum Leap projects sight unseen, one by Deborah Pratt, and has no known plans of his own?

When QL was on, there were so few markets to keep such a show going. Now, you've got shows on USA and TNT which are kicking the network's BUTTS.

You have to trust Donald. I would not watch a show that was Quantum Leap in name and nothing else.

A reboot spells danger for me. How often do they get it right. Once in a blue moon.

If they did do it, I have to think that with what Quantum Leap has meant to Don over the years, there would be no way he would let them do it without being directly involved in the project. And if Don is directly involved, I don't see it killing what the show was.

How are you so sure it was sight unseen? What Don told us at the con and what Deborah told us at the con don't match up!!!!! Don said that he would never want to do a QL revivial without Scott and Dean. Yet Deborah says that Don wants to remake the pilot into a movie. Clearly there are personal issues informing what they are telling us... THings which we will never understand... and really should not even try.

I will firmly put myself down into the group of not wanting Quantum Leap remade or recasted. PERIOD! Which seems to be Don's thinking as well. He did pitch a revival movie to Universal and they had no interest. Now years later people who had no involvement with QL are trying to get him to approve a series which he would likely have no real role in. Its probably frustrating to him. But a free lunch is a free lunch!

You raise very good points, and there is no love lost between Ms. Pratt and Mr. Bellisario at this point.

It is so sad that Universal owns the property. If they have no interest, they should be forced to allow Don to do what he wants. There are so many places the show could be shopped these days. It's not 4 networks anymore.

I much prefer the lighter hearted QL. If they do revamp it I'd like it to expand more on Sam and Al. Recasting it wouldn't have the same magic that the original did.

I think it could be done if done very conscientiously. If it's really created, produced, directed and acted by people who truly care. I guess it could be possible. And there are a lot of fine actors out there, plenty of unknowns, who'd do a wonderful job and may have been inspired by the original. So even a recast could be possible.

I agree with most people here that its lightheartedness and optimism was one of QL's main features that touched so many and it shouldn't be lost. It doesn't mean that it can't have darker and more serious moments as the original did as well.

It seems that modern writers and producers take the 'easy way out'. They make it dark and gritty, because it sells. I have the impression lighter positive stories are not 'trendy' at the moment. I'd say we could use a few more.

I think it could be done if done very conscientiously. If it's really created, produced, directed and acted by people who truly care. I guess it could be possible. And there are a lot of fine actors out there, plenty of unknowns, who'd do a wonderful job and may have been inspired by the original. So even a recast could be possible.

I agree with most people here that its lightheartedness and optimism was one of QL's main features that touched so many and it shouldn't be lost. It doesn't mean that it can't have darker and more serious moments as the original did as well.

It seems that modern writers and producers take the 'easy way out'. They make it dark and gritty, because it sells. I have the impression lighter positive stories are not 'trendy' at the moment. I'd say we could use a few more.

I'm happy with what we have so far as far as QL is concerned. (The fan-run series that is cancelled for the moment.) But, another TV series or a big screen movie or independent TV movie would truly be a blessing.

~Steve B.