Make the convention part of a vacation!

They are ferocious aren't they (koalas), and so are kangaroos, I went to put something in the outside bin the other night (it was pitch black) and I heard one growling at me!!! It was right next to the bin, scared the crap out of me!!

I got chased by one a few months ago when i was trying to get a picture of it for Leaper1. I was sneaking through the bush next to our house and bloody thing turned around and started hopping straight towards me growling the whole time. Samantha was screaming from the bathroom window "RUN MUMMY RUN" and I sure as hell did!!!!

And as far as koalas go, I know their not bears but yes, they do look like a bear....... give everyone a break nags!!!

Classical Theories said:
It was never given. :smokin
No don't apologise CT, it will just give him a big head and besides I can be just as guilty as the rest of you because we don't even have Koala's in Western Australia and I've been known to call them a bear on more than one occasion! ("I'm sooooooo sorry nags" - says bex dripping sarcasm)

I was telling my hubby about the van offer from you Marc and I wondered aloud to him whether you'd ever been in a van with predominately 'braussies' (I realise there will be americans too) and if you realised what you'd be getting yourself in for!! :help

It would be a total hoot though!!

I was watching a movie tonight that was set in LA and in this particular movie there was an earthquake, not a very bad one, but just wondering is there tremors etc very often in LA? I have lived through 2 tremors (if you can call them that) and I didn't feel either of them.

Was also wondering if there is any national parks in reasonable distance from LA, I love hiking and would love to do a half day hike or something like that through a national park, any waterfalls? what about snow!, I have only seen snow twice in my life and only touched it once and I would love to see some if it wasn't too hard to get too, or is it too late in the year for that.

Bexter, if you're in the mood for a hike, head to Griffith Park (home to the Griffith Observatory, and featured in countless movie and television productions, including Rebel Without a Cause and, more importantly, the Goodbye, Norma Jean episode of QL). There's several mapped out hikes, including a walk to the foot of Mt. Hollywood. There's a fantastic view out over the LA basin, and on a clear day (which in March, is a possibility) you can just see the glimmer of the ocean on the horizon. http://www.lacity.org/rap/dos/parks/griffithPK/hiking.htm

It's not that far away from Burbank, and you can get to it quite easily using public transport.

There's a ski resort at Mt. Baldy, about 50 miles away from Burbank, and you can just see the snowy peak in the San Gabriel mountains as you pass out of Pasadena towards the Inland Empire region.

You're not going to see snow anywhere other than on a mountain range, but the skiing season runs November through April, so if you don't mind a bit of a journey, then you can see some snow (I just checked the site, and they had a 12"-30" base today). Check out the website here: http://www.shopbaldy.com/

Oh, as for tremors, I've been to LA about a dozen times now, and I've only once felt a very slight tremor, so don't worry. The closest you'll (hopefully) get to an earthquake is on the Backlot tour at Universal Studios. :)

Bexter said:
Its great being able to look in the mirror and ask the boss for time off isn't it!! Although my reflection said she'd only let me go if i promised to bring her back loads of presents and duty free perfume!!

You know, it is great. My reflection said, OK, it's for a worthy cause.

Bexter said:
what about snow!, I have only seen snow twice in my life and only touched it once

Wow! This is hard for me to imagine. I'll send you a boatload of it from PA next winter, Bexter. You can learn all about it!

Take Emma's advice and go to Griffith Park. That's where the big "HOLLYWOOD" sign is. Then every time you see it on TV, you can point and say, "I was there!" :D

alsplacebartender said:
This guy is pratically famous, folks! What a guy.

STARmeter:
meter_down.gif
6% since last week

Oops according to IMDb, Marc is less famous this week!

How can we help???

Classical Theories said:
If enough people (preferably single unattached women) plan to come into LA early, I can rent a van and show you around some sites. I hate acting like a tourist but love to show off what I know about LA.
p060.gif

p065.gif

Count me in - I am single, unattached and a woman! Tell me when and where.

PS Can you pick me up from LAX and bring me back on Monday 31 March 2009?

Emma, thank you for your wonderful information, I'll print it out and put it in my 'Leap Back File' i have a file.... aren't i organised. I've got plenty of time but I'll get a vague plan together and then if anyone wants to join me on my hike, or on a daytrip to see the snow and the scenery then they are welcome to join me. i don't think I'd give skiing a go, I've been skiing once when I was 18 and I was helped significantly by a very handsome SAS soldier on holiday.... don't think I'd be so lucky this time. I wouldn't mind sledding and building a snowman, yes i know i'm such a big kid!

Bexter said:
Emma, thank you for your wonderful information, I'll print it out and put it in my 'Leap Back File' i have a file.... aren't i organised. I've got plenty of time but I'll get a vague plan together and then if anyone wants to join me on my hike, or on a daytrip to see the snow and the scenery then they are welcome to join me. i don't think I'd give skiing a go, I've been skiing once when I was 18 and I was helped significantly by a very handsome SAS soldier on holiday.... don't think I'd be so lucky this time. I wouldn't mind sledding and building a snowman, yes i know i'm such a big kid!

I'll go on the hike with you Bex.
Does anyone know if you can get close to the Hollywood sign?

I tried voting for Michael Johns, but Fox8 keep blocking over the number saying voting is unavailable in Australia. My stupid AT&T phone doesn't work here either.

ris768 said:
I'll go on the hike with you Bex.

I tried voting for Michael Johns, but Fox8 keep blocking over the number saying voting is unavailable in Australia. My stupid AT&T phone doesn't work here either.
Oh fantastic Marisa, i'm really looking forward to hiking through some american greenery!! I'd love it on my own but even more with someone else. Its going to be so amazing, I can't wait

And thank you sooooo much for trying to vote for Michael, as an australian you can't actually vote for him, but I was hoping the Americans would vote. My friend Alan is his step-brother but they are soooooo much alike its uncanny, but as i said to Al last Friday, the biggest male influence in both your'e lives have been the same man and Alan has been a big music influence in Michaels life, (and mine for that matter) so no wonder you have the same mannerisms. I can 't wait to meet Michael in LA and talk about Alan how important he has been in both of our adult lives as we both met him at about same time, Al's been my best friend for 20 years and I love him to bits, and particularly of late i'll have to say, Alan, Naggindragon and Leaper1 have been the ones who have kept me going at times.

Alan is a fantastic musician in his own right, if you check out my myspace page www.myspace.com/bexter71aus and then click on Alan Burke you can listen to some of his music too.

Just letting you know Michael Johns and I are the only 2 people in the world who know the words to "In a lonely room" of by heart!! :hurray: He wrote and produced it shortly after he met both of us. (Michael & Me)

BTW: you didn't get back to me about sharing a room, is that ok?? please msg me about it, did you get my msg? I hope so. I was a bit worried there was something wrong with the pm on al's place.

ris768 said:

Yes, you can. I rode up the trail on horseback, but you can get closer to the sign on foot, because you have to leave the trail and walk through the brush. In March it might actually be green. (I was there in September and it was very dry.) The view is great from up there!

I believe the closest you can get is the foot of Mount Lee, as it's surrounded by security fencing and cameras, but if you get too close, you wouldn't see anything other than a wall of white, lol!

You can get excellent pictures of the sign from the grounds of the observatory, and also from the Mall at Hollywood and Highland. There's a walkway that offers very good views of the hills, and with a good zoom, you can get some great pictures.

I believe Mt. Baldy has a snowplay park, so you wouldn't have to go skiing. Tubing looks like fun!

EmmaCMF said:
I believe the closest you can get is the foot of Mount Lee, as it's surrounded by security fencing and cameras, but if you get too close, you wouldn't see anything other than a wall of white, lol!

I was there more than 10 years ago, so it sounds like things have changed since then....

EXTRA DAYS IN LA from the UK

i've got my ticket for the convention but was thinking about going to LA a day or two before so i can go to universal studios and check out the sights of the area. anyone from the UK doing anything similar??

Ben

benji85 said:
i've got my ticket for the convention but was thinking about going to LA a day or two before so i can go to universal studios and check out the sights of the area. anyone from the UK doing anything similar??

Ben
We're flying out the week before & going to Chicago, have the con hotel booked from the Thurs to the Tues & then we're all heading to San Francisco (which I love)

These so much to do in and around LA, it's almost an embarrassment of riches.

However, if you want to take at day or more and keep in the spirit of QL, The Griffith Observatory (thanks for the suggestion, Em!) is a must.

Also in that vein, I'd recommend the Bradley Building (it's where they shot the bldg interiors for "Play it Again, Seymour"). Quite beautiful. I'm not sure how many other QL related places one can go but if folks have any other suggestions, I'll bet others would be appreciate 'em.

Here is my plan so far, arriving and checking in at hotel Wednesday, doing Universal Studios Thursday, Convention Fri-Sun, checking out Mon and transferring to HI Anneheim, then Disneyland 2 days and a day trip to San Dieago for Sea World which brings me to Wednesday, from there, not sure, have promised some LA friends i'll cook them dinner (probably thursday) and then probably to Lake Tahoe for rest of trip until I leave on the followiong Tuesday!

If anyone is interested in joining me in any of it then let me know! except the dinner with friends bit

Yes, we're rolling this into a week long vacation for us... the wife may bow out early as we have several friends there we plan to see and visit with. I have a couple of film related meetings I'm attending, but it'll mostly be a fun and relaxing week.

But airline tickets are slooooowly creeping up, folks. UGHH!!! :help

Chris :)

My husband and I are planning to fly the coop (hahaha) and make this convention part of a 4 or 5 week vacation around the country. The Trinity Site in New Mexico will be open on the Saturday after the convention, if anyone's interested. (That's where the first atomic bomb was tested, and where PQL was set. It's only open two days a year.)

What to do in LA?

Hey guys,

I plan on arriving directly to the Con & only after go sight seeing.
Problem is, I don't know what to do?
I was thinking about the Disneys & Universal studios, but else is there to do?

I'm coming alone, from Israel (& single & a woman :p )

I'd love to meet some people here & them meet you up in person & have fun...

Disney and Universal are definitely places to go to. LA has a LOT of attractions, it's hard to say where to begin. Definitely have to check out the Hollywood sign. A Google search for "Hollywood tourism" will yield a lot of results.

I've already booked my flight, so I'm committed to when I'm coming and going, so I just have to wait until the schedule of events is posted and work my itinerary around it.

For those of you planning a vacation around the con, you can bank on the following as concrete:

Registration will start at 9am, Friday morning. The convention will officially start Friday afternoon, at 1pm.

The convention will close at 6pm Sunday evening.