WRITER'S GUIDE

DeadZoneLeaper

Project QL Intern
Jan 17, 2004
Danville, PA
For those who are new to writing and want to try your hand or if you have written for QL:TVS and have gotten stuck, perhaps this writer's guide from The Quantum Leap Book will help you as far as story structure:

PROLOGUE: Dramatic/jolting arrival for Sam (teaser)

ACT I: Should end with Sam being told by Al what his plot goal is: What he has to do or who he has to help.

ACT II: Should end with a big obstacle/complication to what Sam has learned in Act I

ACT III: Monkey wrench in the works - the way Sam is going about resolving his plot goal is wrong or is making things worse

ACT IV: Creatively find a NEW solution to the problem, only to discover that there is something else that Sam was there to correct all along. Sam completes his mission and then he leaps

---------

Hope this helps!!!

Hope it works for you...All my stories for QL:TVS (PLUG!!!) were done under this format and I've found it to be useful...Pretty much come up with 3 "visual" ideas on what you think would make a good fade to "commercial break" if this were an actual episode on tv...Something that makes you go, "Aw, jeez, fast forward thru the commercials I wanna see what happens next..."

Right now, I am unable to assist with writing any stories...I still have 2 more to write for this story arc MJ and I are working on...True Callings will kick off that arc (PLUG!!!) in November...:p

Another little tip!

What you can get in 3 seconds on a TV show, you can write or read in 3 paragraphs. Describe everything about Sam and/or Al's surroundings and go deeper into detail. Maybe you can tell something about Sam or Al's past regarding everything around them. ;) For a really good example, read A Leap Frog Christmas.

:leap
Steve
RossBeckett