Home

The Leap Back 2009 Convention Forum

Contact

Old 05-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #26
ris768
Pulse Communications Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by britannic View Post
Where is the next Quantum Leap convention. When is it going to be? Because I want to see Dean and Scott just one.

If you want to see Scott at a convention your best bet is to fly to London in July and attend the London Film and Comic Convention.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #27
milestone
Waiting Room Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
He said that there is a box set of Quantum Leap DVDs in the pipeline and that he tried to get Universal to have those DVDs ready for the Convention.

One can hope that all the music will be restored.
Would be cool to have another definitive set. Even better if you'd be able to get it in HD.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #28
feldon30
Forum Technician

Releasing Quantum Leap in High Definition is certainly possible based on what my eyes tell me when watching some of the DVDs. Namely that it was shot on film. The overall look, lighting, and film grain which are evident in many scenes.

The High Definition question is... was Quantum Leap edited on video or edited on film?

Law & Order was always shot AND edited in film, through traditional splicing techniques. As a result, it was a piece of cake to convert the shows into High Definition 15 years after they'd been filmed. They just took the final cut and telecined it into the computer.

On the other hand, and disappointingly, Star Trek: The Next Generation was shot on 35mm film, but the negatives were digitized into the computer and then editing and effects were all done in the computer at Standard Definition. As a result, producing high definition masters of Star Trek TNG would require a laborious (and expensive) process of going back to the 35mm negatives, recapturing all of the relevant pieces into the computer in High Definition, and basically rebuilding each episode from the ground up, not to mention re-producing all of the special effects in High Definition.

In short, I just don't see Paramount putting in the effort for this. The Original Series of Star Trek was shot and edited on film. All of the effects were practical and optical effects (no computers). As a result, it financially feasible to release Star Trek TOS in High Definition.

If I'd thought of this question, I would have asked Jay Schwartz at the convention.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #29
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

It was most likely edited on video like most of Sci-Fi series of the time with visual effects. You can tell when you see effects shots of Al moving through objects that the footage is fuzzier than the rest.

Of course I hope I am wrong on that.

Don Bellisario on why he used the name Tom so much in Quantum Leap

(Yes my name is Tom. So when he told me that I had a big grin on my face! )
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #30
feldon30
Forum Technician

I know the effects were done in video effects. The leap effect in particular was done on a Quantel Paintbox, which was a standalone computer. I think 5th season transitioned to fully computer effects, as there is a distinct difference in how the leaps look. The animated lightning is very crisp and sharp compared to the softer lines of the past.

But it's still up in the air whether the episodes themselves (~1% of each episode has effects) were edited on film or on computer. If they were edited on film, then high definition DVDs (Blu-Ray) are certainly feasible. I suppose we could all live with the effects not being re-done/upgraded? Although it would be even more jarring on a large screen TV when Al is walking through something.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #31
JulieB
Imaging Chamber Technician

Some of the episodes were edited digitally, particularly during the last season. If you were at the 1993 convention you might remember the opportunity to put yourself into a scene with Sam and Al. It was put together by the folks who did editing and some post FX for them. They also had an editing station there at the time, and I remember they used LaserDiscs. I guess they transferred the film over and did the editing digitally.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
milestone
Waiting Room Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
Some of the episodes were edited digitally, particularly during the last season. If you were at the 1993 convention you might remember the opportunity to put yourself into a scene with Sam and Al. It was put together by the folks who did editing and some post FX for them. They also had an editing station there at the time, and I remember they used LaserDiscs. I guess they transferred the film over and did the editing digitally.
Wow that sounds like so much fun! Never heard of anything like that! I was still in school at that time otherwise I would've made a point to go lol