Home

The Leap Back 2009 Convention Forum

Contact

Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 AM   #26
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

I am curious Joy, did you make it to convention?

I ask because I seem to remember you saying before hand you could not because of money issues. But yet looking at the picture on your profile I am almost positive I saw you there.

I am glad you are interested in the reunion. You are one of the people I remember being on here the longest. Going back to the early days of rumors of the Sci-Fi Channel revival.

Don Bellisario on why he used the name Tom so much in Quantum Leap

(Yes my name is Tom. So when he told me that I had a big grin on my face! )
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #27
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

Nope, definitely didn't make it to the convention. Really wanted to, though. As of this summer, I'm celebrating 10 years in the fandom, and about nine years of knowing the senior members of this board from all the way back in our Sci-Fi Channel BBoard days. I really wanted to make it to the convention mainly to meet my fellow fans; which is why I love this idea of a fan gathering (as opposed to another con).

Joy

tina_als_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #28
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

Yeah, I was on the Sci-Fi BBoard a bit too. Those were my lurker days!

Hmm I am not sure what the next step in the planning should be. Obviously we are still a year or two away. But time tends to go by fast. We need to be proactive with this so we are ready when the time comes.

I think beyond choosing a site, we need to publicize our intentions to as many people as possible. There is a Facebook group for the convention. I am going to make a post on its wall about the reunion idea.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #29
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

Well, we could always make a Facebook group for the reunion. I can make one if you want, or if you make one and need help maintaining it or whatever, I'd love to help as much as I can (mostly on weekends, now that school's started).

Joy

Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 AM   #30
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

I you could make a Facebook group that would be great! I would not know the first thing involved in that. I am more a words and ideas type.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #31
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Smile

To bring up the discussion again...

I say instead of organising an event ourselves... why don't we pick an upcoming Con we all like and agree on, plan on that and attend that on
e? I know Cons are becoming all inclusive events which include Sci-Fi or whatever. I know DragonCon, GENCON, and others are really successful at including ALL elements of TV, film, and comics.

Shoot... I say we plan on invading Comic Con in San Diego. That event is FREAKING AWESOME I hear. Plus, LA isn't that far away and we could all hit California again!! I know a handful of groups that hook up and do their own things when they hit the Cons. I'd even be willing to bet that a Con like Comic Con or Dragon Con would love to have a Quantum Leap booth.

Just brainstorming!

Chris

PS: Comic Con in San Diego is getting bigger and bigger each year with a lot of celebrities in tow. The only downside is that it wouldn't have the intimacy I thought Leapback had.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #32
angvav
Temporary Account

great idea matey
Old 10-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #33
ris768
Pulse Communications Technician

Not a bad idea Chris, having met up with leapers I had met in LA at the London Film & Comic Con was such a huge buzz. I would probably go to more cons knowing there were QL fans there to meet up with.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #34
angvav
Temporary Account

Would it be plausible to have one every year?

Maybe this would give everyone in this site a chance to meet everyone one time or another.

Maybe hold meetings in a different country every year?

Hmmm..........
Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #35
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

There are a lot of good, valid ideas here.

While it would be great to have a convention every year, its not something that can be planned in advance. Really all that can be done is to plan one reunion. See what the turn out is, and hopefully plan another. Take it one step at a time.

Attending a existing con is great idea. Though I am not San Diego Comic Con is, or at least fits sure this idea. While I am a comics fan and all round genre fan, not every QL fan is. Comic Con seems like a bit of a circus, in a bad way, from what I have seen. Similarly I went to the last two Star Wars celebrations and that was the reaction I had. Too much happing at once so you could not see what you want and too many people.

umm at the same time I would not mind seeing It at least once and I have a brother who lives in San Diego ( yeah I have family everywhere!). So if a large enough group of Leapers were planning on going a certain year, with our own Leap themed plans, I would consider going.

Hmm I am contradicting myself. I guess my point is that the original idea was that many of us will be not going to California anytime soon again. In fact some who have expressed interest in this were not able to go to the convention because of distance and money. So this planned as more a regional event.

Maybe the multiple con thing could happen. With gatherings planned in different cities at the same time. With a internet and conference calls joining the groups together. Almost like a Quantum Leap holiday. Of course with this idea, it would not be limited to United States either. Individuals who can not go to the specific reunion/convention/party locations could still be involved online.

Any of that sound good??? i am making this up as I type! LOL! Actually we could have a trail run for this "International Convention DVD Viewing Day". Once we get all get the DVDs agree to watch them, for the first time or again, on the same day. With online commentary and communicating.

I guess all of this are just ways to keep this little community connected.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #36
angvav
Temporary Account

It would be good if there was a way for everyone to meet each other

But then again - that really depends on who can attend a con I guess.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #37
jassian
Project Observer

It would be nice to have local ones too with regards to travel time/costs.
I'd like to go to an Australian one
Open attendance of course, non-ozzies welcome.

Although I'm assuming that the U.S. one will be identical to the international one as most fans are probably from the U.S., I think.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #38
angvav
Temporary Account

Facebook or even maybe msn would be nice for people whom cannot travel

Everyone can chat live if time permits?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:08 AM   #39
MikeKraken
Observer's Aid

What a great brainstorming session, everyone! The idea of "reunions" is so good - getting to see your fellow fans that you might not otherwise get together with.

Isn't there a site out there that has interests and then broken down by location so that you can find other fans of whatever in your area? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I'm pretty sure I was a member of the site at some point.

The largest fanbase is likely in the USA (as far as I know, there weren't that many Canadians at the convention - met one person from Vancouver and another from Edmonton), so that makes a logical testing ground. Joy's idea of going along Route 66 is very cool! Probably best to keep it in the middle of the US, though, even if the city changes each year. Maybe along the Mississippi River as a guideline?

If it's in driving distance, I'd definitely go.

... Mike.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students." -Hector Berlioz-

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -Mark Twain-
MikeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #40
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

Meetup.com

I think

Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #41
jassian
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos View Post
Meetup.com

I think
I remember Meetup.com
There wasn't much activity in the sections I was looking for, but it may be worth a try.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #42
MikeKraken
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassian View Post
I remember Meetup.com
There wasn't much activity in the sections I was looking for, but it may be worth a try.
Yes, that's the one I was thinking of! Well, we can try it now, maybe, to get some feel for who's out there and wanting to get together. <G>

... Mike.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students." -Hector Berlioz-

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -Mark Twain-
MikeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #43
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

Yeah, it's meetup.com, but whoever starts a group on there, aka the Organizer, has to pay to keep the group going. I think it may be easier to use this forum to find "leaders" from various regions to help organize the annual get together in their particular region.

I don't really know much about organizing stuff like this, so I really wouldn't be much help, but if someone wants a co-organizer or whatever for my region (Ozarks; Missouri/Arkansas/etc), I could try to help as much as I have time for (what with school and all).

Joy

Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #44
JulieB
Imaging Chamber Technician

Hi, all! Haven't had much time to post but I still have warm memories of The Leap Back 2009.

Tom had a very good idea about tying meetings to regional conventions. You'll find that most major metropolitan areas have one or more fan-run SF conventions.

The least expensive and easiest way to hold a fan gathering is to host a room party at a convention.

Most conventions have a party coordinator, and that's the place to start.

Please support the convention by buying your admission. Some conventions require that party attendees have a paid admission for security reasons. (The first time you're at a convention where some college students crash a party, get bombed on the free drinks, and have an "Animal Frat" moment or two, you'll understand.)

Still, it's a pretty inexpensive way to hold a get-together - especially if interested folks pool their resources to help out with the food.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #45
BakTooBak
PQL Visitor

Hi. I'm new here and this idea sounded great. Did it ever happen?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #46
JulieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapme View Post
what else? Does one really need a comittee or organistation?
These days you can't put on even a small con without some sort of committee or core group of people.

Even a small relaxacon with 50 attendees needs several people working together to pull off.

Legal issues these days mean you have to have some sort of umbrella organization to handle taxes and liability.

If you're interested in reading up on what goes into putting a convention together, there's a wiki called conrunner.net. There's even an annual convention for people who put on SF conventions where people meet to share information about legal issues, negotiating with hotels, getting the most bang out of your limited budget, and so on. Take a look at that site and see all the departments listed. A QL con won't need some of those (child care, gaming) but there's a lot going on behind the scenes with a typical convention.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #47
feldon30
Forum Technician

Most stars will not attend a convention unless there is a charity attached and the event is setup as a non-profit. To setup a non-profit requires at least 4 people.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #48
leapme
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
These days you can't put on even a small con without some sort of committee or core group of people.

Even a small relaxacon with 50 attendees needs several people working together to pull off.

Legal issues these days mean you have to have some sort of umbrella organization to handle taxes and liability.

If you're interested in reading up on what goes into putting a convention together, there's a wiki called conrunner.net. There's even an annual convention for people who put on SF conventions where people meet to share information about legal issues, negotiating with hotels, getting the most bang out of your limited budget, and so on. Take a look at that site and see all the departments listed. A QL con won't need some of those (child care, gaming) but there's a lot going on behind the scenes with a typical convention.

Wow that is really a great page, but gee indeed all them tax laws, maybe one should just hire a tax attorny or something instead and save themselves the headache

It would be nice though, on last con, and the clock is ticking when it comes to Dean. I so hoped he would have been there in March and was so dispointed he wasn't.

I wish I could have the option to even consider putting up a con, but alas, foreigner and all you know, I guess I would have to become a US citizen first .
Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #49
leapme
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Most stars will not attend a convention unless there is a charity attached and the event is setup as a non-profit. To setup a non-profit requires at least 4 people.

I doubt anyone who would consider setting up a Leapcon would want it any other way, and getting 4 people together wouldn't be that much of a problem either. I think the major problem indeed is setting up the con and all them taxlaws. Wow I'm getting more and more respect for Brian every day.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #50
JulieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
At little or no pay, yes. But look at groups like Creation. If you set up a for-profit group and pay them...

At most conventions (at least the non-profit SF cons) the Guests of Honor usually go in return for expenses. Some get a small fee, but it's nothing compared to what some of the stars want to go to the profit-making conventions. I've heard of fees ranging from $5,000 to $150,000.