90's Movie Trivia Challenge

Al's Handlink said:
I caved and looked the answer up on IMDB. So, as per the rules, I will not post it. But I would never had guessed it otherwise. I have never even heard of it. It apperently had a VERY limited release in the states, (And in most places went straight to video)

But I am a HUGE fan of Edgar Allan Poe. (As evedenced by the fact that part of my Quote is from Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven, Quoth the Raven, Nevermore.)

But, The reason I knew that The Black Cat was part of it, I read that story in Highschool, and it was EXCELLENT. I have since forgotton that it even existed.

But, since you reminded me of it, I picked up my copy of The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe to reread it. I highly suggest everyone here read it as well.

Just remember that it is Edgar Allan Poe and his stories are horror stories and he pulled no punches.

Here is a link to the story. http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/poe/works/blackcat.html

Yes. You're totally right about this. Edgar Allan Poe is just marvelous, and I've read The Raven... more than 20 times, I guess (English --original language-- version, not Spanish --translated to my language-- version, because it does not rhyme as in the original). I never get tired of it. There are still a few stories I must read from him, but they're not easy to find anywhere. At least not over here.

As for the movie, I'm extremely lucky then, considering what you said. Monday night two weeks ago it was being transmitted on cable here in Tijuana. I caught it in the middle and was a little bit dissapointed because it really seemed interesting (well, I'm a huge Horror fan), so I searched for it on my control TV options from my cable services, and it was going to be retransmitted the Tuesday at 3 AM. I'm usually not up at 3 AM, so I set my VHS video when I went to sleep that Monday, and the next day I saw it on the afternoon... Oh, no words! Just great. Probably a little bit dated now, but I love dark humor and situations. Some people underrate it, but well, they must have their own reasons, of course.

Edit: I've found out there is a DVD. I'll be looking for it to get this in a proper quality. It has tons of bonus features, and that's why I want it to be a part of my Horror Collection. So complete.

Don't worry. It's too difficult. Let's move to the next clue...

But first the answer was: "Due Occhi Diabolici (1990)" (or "Two Evil Eyes" in its translated version of the title).

Second Clue: He instated himself there as the kindly businessman. Everybody welcomed him. He selled them all what they "wanted". Everything went okay... until the time to pay.

Pretty easy.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
if it does not have a big US release than thats not really fair ED, most if us are from the US.

and i dont know, this is getting frusterating. :)

It was pretty easy. It was "Needful Things", based on a novel by Stephen King, right? Jesus! It was a big release in 1993, for God's sakes! (But well, it's not another corny movie).

I suggest something, Al's Handlink: Add to the game's rules that the clue has to be a big release in the United States, so it could be fair for everyone. Just "90's Movie Trivia Challenge" can be understood as any movie from the 90's (including budget or knownness) from anywhere. (And if I sounded mad or sarcastic, forgive me, please, I really didn't mean it any time).

Third Clue: He is a Writer. He's his Pseudonym. He didn't really like to be killed, so he's gonna take revenge on those around him because he can't kill him himself. (Note: Normal "He" and underlined "He" means there are two different main characters involved).

Come on, I know you can get it! It was a big release back in its time.

Last edited:
All right.

The movie...

Gold hints.

1. Yes. It has a lot of Sparrows.
2. Timothy Hutton.

No more. You almost got it.

Just a reminder to please watch your language when you post. Three posts in this thread had to be edited due to offensive language. Please be aware of your audience. Thanks. :)

Some friendly words of advice...

Hey, guys... listen, I know people get defensive and emotional and all (I know TOO well, believe me), but please try to remember that this is a message board, and because of that, some words and sentences can be misconstrued as sarcastic and snotty when they really aren't, due to there not being an actual "voice" to back it up.

For example: using CAPS usually implies anger and/or yelling; if you want to stress a word without it sounding so negative, I suggest enclosing the word(s) inside of [ i]word[ /i] or [ b]word[ /b] (without the spacing, obviously). Also, most (if not all) of us are sympathetic toward different viewpoints, but speaking for myself, I tend to forget (as I'm sure a lot of other members do too) that plenty of people who visit the board do come from different areas of the world than I do. And we all have different personalities and past experiences which, as I said before, does make it hard sometimes to differentiate when someone's being "nasty" or just "playfully joking around."

I think everyone just needs to try to "lighten up" a little. That's not directed toward anyone specific and is not meant to be a criticism in any way, shape or form. Just try to remember that some people are younger, some people are older, etc., and interpret things differently than others. Emoticons (smilies) also help to convey a jovial mood in an online environment. Even more importantly, try to be more aware of when a discussion begins to stray off of its original topic (which I've noticed happening a lot lately), even off-topic threads. If something that someone else says bothers you, please don't feel ashamed to e-mail Brian, MJ, or one of the other moderators about it, and we'll straighten everything out (we're good like that). :) You can also click on that member's name and send them a PM, whatever works best for you.

But most importantly... HAVE FUN!!! :angel :D

So, with that said, let's get this thread back on topic: 90s Movie Trivia Challenge! :hurray:

Damon

Cyd,

If The Dark Half is correct, you can go ahead and post the next clue. I knew it had something to do with birds, Hence my earlier "The Crow" guess. But it was your post about the sparrows and Ed's conformation that finally made me come up with that answer

yeah it is the dark half

so....... youre up........

you did a good job Ed.
ok so Tom said i could have the next clue so here it is.

A psychatrist discovers something about himself after helping a young boy with a disturbing secret.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
A psychatrist discovers something about himself after helping a young boy with a disturbing secret.
My guess would be The Sixth Sense.

Well, I happen to like M. Night Shyamalan's movies a lot, hehe...

Anyway, here's the clue:

The newest attorney at the world's most powerful law firm has never lost a case. But he's about to lose his soul.

Damon

Don't judge a book by its cover is the message of this film, and don't expect this adaptation to be true to the source book as you seek 'sanctuary' within it.

McDuck said:
Don't judge a book by its cover is the message of this film, and don't expect this adaptation to be true to the source book as you seek 'sanctuary' within it.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, perhaps?