Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #51
jassian
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycol View Post
I wouldn't mind checking that out sometime. Is there any way to view it?
Well it's not finished,
but if you have the patience to sit through some awfully slowly cut scenes, be my guest.

You'll have to PM me though, I'm currently using final fantasy music
so I got a link with a password to avoid copyright problems, until I got
other music.

This scene is closer to being finished an I got the rights for the music
http://jassian.com/5LOC/2009scene14SDmusic.wmv
(the sound still needs to be fixed, so sorry it it's hard to understand)

Actually systemcat is currently doing some cgi for it.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #52
jassian
Project Observer

Long promised:

My Chrono trigger list of favorites, by me
today, the seat behind my screen or rather in front of

Frog.
they changed the way he talks? Oh no! or rather NAAYY!
How dare they, my ready blade shall find them!
He is so adorable, noble, cute and somewhat over the top serious.
it's so cute to have a frog with a cape hop across the screen, and yes his old fashioned language and music just are endearing. His comments are whitty and insightful. I love his background story too. The game wouldn't be the same without him. For him the whole quest is personal.

Ayla.
the quinessential raw warrior and a lady to boot. She's always been an inspiration to me. Very pure and primal, extremly to the point and direct. Her strength isn't just physical, it's mental too. Her confidence is remarkable. If she believes in something she fights for it and doesn't stop until she drops. A true hero. And I love the dance from her village. Not to mention she's just the BEST physical attacker.

Robo.
Another amazing background story, and i don't want to spoil it, but one of his sidequests is the coolest bit of story I've ver seen. He has a Shadow gun which counts as a magic attack, but i think I just warmed up to him from the animation in which they find him all shattered and the love and determination with which Lucca fixed him. He is a machine and yet he cares more than your average human. Love the guy.

Magus.
how often does that happen in a game? What a twist. Yeah, he's mysterious and powerful. Then again not all that mysterious, we meet him as a child, and I wonder what happend to that child now that things have changed.

Chrono.
better late than never. He is the hero of the story of course, but really more of a catalyst. He's also very young so he doesn't have a longer detailed background story, like some others. Which is fair enough as it helps your average young (at the time ) player to connect to him. He has a Katana, which is always a bonus for me.

Lucca.
Lucca, Lucca. What a random crazed scientist. reminds me of doc brown from back to the future somehow. She's just eternally optimistic. what? A problem? Let me fix it, let me at it, let me at it. She's a bit low on my list because she's not very helpful in a battle IMHO. well at least I'm not a big fan of her gun. Plus she is a bit outclassed by the other characters. Still adorable though, with a touching story.

Marle.
She starts out as quite an interesting individual and I've always liked tomboys, having been one myself. I still would have liked more story for her. Just another step of character development somewhere along the line. She's really mainly a catalyst who stands by her friends which is great, but in the company of some of the best characters I've seen she is the last on my list. I did once train her up like crazy and then she can become quite powerful.

I really liked the three sages too.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #53
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Now that I think about it, you are right, that Chrono doesn't really have much personal involvement in the story, other than to be the main hero. I wonder why all the other characters seem to have personal quests and stories, and Chrono just seems to be there to take a leader role? I wonder if that was deliberate, or an oversight.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #54
jassian
Project Observer

I always thought it was deliberate so the player could see themselves as Chrono. Most of them would have been Kids, so they could identify with the character quite easily.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #55
ohboy
Junior Leaper

You make a fair point there. I guess that by making the main character very 2-dimensional, the average player could form opinions about the others through Chrono without having to come into conflict with a vivid personality.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #56
Dman176

It was the same thing with Serge in Chrono Cross. He, like Crono, was basically known as the "silent protagonist" probably for that same reason: to place yourself in the hero's shoes and form your own in-game personality. With the exception of the "Slideshow" ending of Chrono Trigger, Crono never utters a single word throughout the entire adventure. Serge is also the only character to never speak in Chrono Cross.
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
(This isn't entirely true, but to mention more would give away a HUGE plot-twist.)

Damon
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #57
jassian
Project Observer

True, true.

Although as a sidenote, I feel chrono cross really lacked a lot of the depth chrono trigger had. I was very disappointed. well, it's a good game but it had big shoes to fill
Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #58
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

I agree that Chrono Cross was not as good as Chrono Trigger but it still holds a place in my classics list. I love the whole parrellel world thing. It still held the feel of chrono trigger too, though by far Chrono Trigger was the best of the two. I wonder if there will be a third one...
Old 05-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #59
Dman176

Quote:
I agree that Chrono Cross was not as good as Chrono Trigger but it still holds a place in my classics list. I love the whole parrellel world thing. It still held the feel of chrono trigger too, though by far Chrono Trigger was the best of the two. I wonder if there will be a third one...
Well, there was a third title trademarked or something a number of years back, called "Chrono Break" ("Chrono Brake" in Japan). Square Enix has since let the trademark expire in the U.S. (although they did keep the Japanese trademark). This leads me to believe that they're still contemplating releasing a sequel someday. They've so much as said that it would be difficult to create a sequel that would have the same "feel" that Chrono Trigger had because many, if not all, of the original staff members who worked on the game no longer work with Square Enix. One can only hope at this point. I, personally, think it's not a question of if we get a third game, but when.

Damon
Old 07-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #60
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

Just wanted to know what everyone is playing presently. I am in the middle of Fallout 3. I have had if for about a month and a half and I have only done about 3 of the main story missions. There is so much to do in that game it is easy to get sidetracked.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #61
Night Terror

Quote:
Just wanted to know what everyone is playing presently. I am in the middle of Fallout 3. I have had if for about a month and a half and I have only done about 3 of the main story missions. There is so much to do in that game it is easy to get sidetracked.
I'm playing Double Dragon 2. I'm not too much into fighting games, but I got hooked on this one. It's really cool.

I'm also playing Gradius. It's like Lifeforce, but much harder, mainly because of how the ship moves and, well, the controls are not as comfortable. I think Lifeforce is just an alternate version of Gradius, but I got used to it quickly. With Gradius I'm having a lot of issues, although I have to admit that the enemies and bosses are way better than those from Lifeforce. They actually give you a lot of challenge, and that's a good thing.

And also Startropics. One of the hardest games ever (I guess that's why it's become so obscure). Don't know if I'll ever finish it.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #62
ohboy
Junior Leaper

I just beat Lufia II: Rise of the Sinastrals, and am now starting on the sequel Lufia: The Fortress of Doom (Yes, II comes before I in this series). Pretty fun series, and I would recommend it for RPG lovers.

I'm also playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. That's also a fun game, although a bit unconventional from the usual RPG genre.

Those are the only two games I'm playing at the moment.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #63
jassian
Project Observer

The Sims 3 actually
and also dungeon keeper 2 and one.
if only they'd brought out version 3...