Episode: Discussions - Trivia - Questions

S

SueJBakula

Post 1
Thread Heading: Beast Within (big foot ep) Question
Date: 07/04/1999
Hi. I've been watching the eps for the first time on sci-fi, so sometimes I miss some stuff b/c of syndicuts. Does anyone know the answer to this question:
In The Beast Within, the episode about Vietnam War flashbacks and Bigfoot, Al was bundled up the entire time, like he was in the mountians with Sam. He had on gloves and a long overcoat. Why?
Curious,
Kristi

Reply 1: I believe...
Date: 07/05/1999

I think this is the episode where Ziggy turns the Air conditioning on very high, freezing the project staff. I think in the un-slaughtered version (the orginal ) Sam asked Al about this and he gave some explantion. This was probably an excuse so poor Dean wouldnt freeze his a@# off as you can see their breath several times.

Any body know for sure?

Reply 2: LOL!-- Big foot
Date: 07/08/1999

LOL! Thanks for your reply regarding Ziggy turning up the AC and freezing the entire staff. I love Ziggy's antics, she makes me giggle. Do you know what pist her off and decided to freeze the staff?

And I agree, the real reason was that they shot the ep outside and itwas probably damn cold.

Kristi
Reply 3: I am not sure but...
Date: 07/09/1999

I am not sure why Ziggy got upset. I dont remember if it was a circuit or she got pissed. the syndicuts were listed on some web page but i cant find it now.

Article 254:
More on Genesis...

Date: 10/11/1999

Hi all,

Just thought I'd second some of the thoughts that have been posted lately. The early episodes are incredibly sweet and touching (although, like some of you, "The Leap Home" and "MIA" are two of my favorites too). I also agree that the fifth season, while still definitely good, worked a little too hard for "stunt" leaps and sort of strayed from the focus of the previous four--Sam and Al's wonderful relationship and what Sam was able to accomplish in seemingly ordinary situations.

I am, by the way, 23, so I was just old enough to be allowed to watch QL when it first aired, but my folks didn't like the show a whole lot so I couldn't always watch it. Thank goodness for cable reruns!

Reply:
Evolution, Baby!

Date: 10/12/1999

I think you hit the nail on the head concerning the fifth season. Also, has anyone else been struck by how the characters evolved so well from the first season while maintaining believe-ability? In Genesis, we learn that Al was ALSO an MIT student. Leaphead, you and the others who joined the bandwagon later- would you ever have guessed? It's a surprise, but even though he played a one-track-minded hedonist, Dean performed so intelligently that it doesn't seem out of place. Have y'all noticed any other surprises?

Post 27:

Thread Heading: MI alt ending available

Date: 07/10/1999

The alternate ending to Mirror Image is available at this website:

www.geocities.com/Area51/...rames.html

Make sure to get the text transcript (on the page called "multimedia") too, because the .avi file just has a little bit of it.

BTW, look around on that site. It's got a lot of good downloads.

Kristi

Post 28:

Thread Heading: Missed Genesis part 1

Date: 07/10/1999

Can anyone help? I stupidly recorded over Friday's show "Genesis part 1" Any ideas on where I could see/rent/buy it? I'd gladly pay a few bucks to get a copt. Thanks for any help and keep leaping.

Reply 1:

Reply 2: Genesis
Date: 07/11/1999

"Genesis" is available on video and DVD at most video stores. It's also widely available in online video stores (like amazon, etc.). I personally think the powers that be at the SciFi channel should play the entire pilot in its original 2-hour format...good luck and happy hunting!

Article 404 (not file not found error. LOL!)

I wonder!

Date: 01/05/2000

Hey everyone,
I thought I'd write because I haven't in awhile.
Anyway, I liked today's episode and love the part when Sam starts kissing on the two blonde twins and drives Al nuts!!! Thats what I love about the show, how they both interract with each other. I'm now just waiting for the episodes "The play's the thing", "Unchained", and "Running for honor" since I don't have those 3 on tape yet. I can't wait!

Jen:)

Reply:
i love permanent wave

It's always been one of my favorites... probably because I like watching murder mysteries and such. I can't wait until "Dreams" comes on, "A Leap for Lisa", and the one where he's at the Bermuda triangle. I haven't seen any of those and they all sound really good, so I can't wait!

Post 403:

Thread Heading: Leap Back question

Date: 01/04/2000

In the beginning of The Leap Back, Sam is in the hospital clothes he wore in Shock Theater and Al is in the army uniform. But, Tina tells Sam that he looks (or sounds) and hugs just like Al. So, if they switched places, shouldn't Sam have been wearing one of Al's wild outfits? It's no big deal, just wondering...

Reply 1: I wondered that too...

Date: 01/04/2000

That was something I always wondered. Did Sam leap into Al?
Or did they both leap(Al into the new person, and Sam into himself) and their neurons and mesons get all "caca"?

Maybe the white outfit was the thing they have Sam's body wearing.

Also in regards to that eps, it is said that Sam doesnt even remember them leaping together, but in several of the later eps, it is Sam who mentions it and Al is clueless.

Reply 2: They both leaped

I think Al leaped into the army guy (Capt Tom Stratton or something) and Sam leaped into himself and he was in the same clothes from Shock Theather the clothes his body was in in the future were shiny and everything like what he wore at the end when he leaped into Al. As far as his memory It is so swiss cheese he can remember something sometimes and then forget other times. I don't think he ever mentioned Donna in any other episodes

Anyways that is just MHO

Thanks

Article 564:
A Leap for Lisa question

Date: 03/17/2000

In "A Leap for Lisa" when the English hologram played by Roddy McDowell (I think that's him) temporarily replaced Al because of a rift in history, the parolell hybrid computer's name changed from Ziggy to Alpha, but I forget what the hologram's name was. Can someone tell me?

Thanks.
bluelightleaper

Reply:
I know his name
Hi, I'm new here. The English hologram's name was Edward Cidgent the fifth. (not sure how to spell the last name)
Reply:
No, it was...
The correct name is Edward St.John
Reply:
NiceJohn is right
Date: 03/21/2000
It is spelled Edward St. John but pronounced (sinjin)
Reply:
that's the accent (N/T)
Date: 03/22/2000
Good ?ev
Reply:
i wonder
Date: 03/23/2000
since that british guy was in place of al when the @#%$ went down with the conviction, how come in the final episode when sam lept out, he went by himself.....i mean just because al isn't there doesn't mean project quantum leap was never invented......i'm talking in circles, but you know what i mean.....right??
Reply:
First of all
Date: 03/23/2000
who said Al isn't still with Sam? It's my opinion that Al still works at the project and is still guiding Sam through his leaps, even though he's married to Beth and has four daughters.
However, if he wasn't there, it would be Edward being the observer, but that doesn't matter, because he is there.

Article 574:
Song title in Private Dancer episode
Date: 03/25/2000
Anyone know the name of that song in the episode Private Dancer? It's the song that's played when the deaf girl gets the second chance to audition...she and Sam are dancing together. Anyone?

Reply:
03/25/2000
USS_ferryboat *
Daybreak (N/T) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Good ?ev *

Article 874:
Promised land

Date: 12/21/2000

If you haven't written your Universal letter as a Christmas present to Quantum Leap, Sam, and Al yet, please do so immediately.

Maybe you could take a tape of "Promised Land" and a couple of pre-written letters for people to sign (and you can mail) to Christmas gatherings!!!!

So, Promised land was Bakula's directoral debut. How do you think he did?

Reply:
great job!

Date: 12/22/2000

I thought he did a great job of directing but the thing about Quantum Leap is that every episode I have seen is very good in my opinion even though I haven't seen them all. As you know it takes team work for episodes to be contsistently good from acting to directing to scripwriting etc. I was a big fan of Twilight Zone and even though most of the episodes are good they did have a few that were not very good at all.

Article 884:
The @#%$

Date: 12/26/2000

Notice that the next leap after "One Strobe over the Line" (preview we saw today) isn't the one that'll be on tomorrow. For those who don't know, the preview was "The @#%$" one of the more unusual Quantum episodes. In it, Satan confronts and attacks Sam.

Sci-Fi made the choice to omit "The @#%$" from the episode schedule for those trying to tape in originally televized episode order.

Original episode order is available on several websites, if you are trying to get a complete collection. I'll also be happy to email it to you.

Reply:
no @#%$, no fair

Date: 12/27/2000

Any idea why sci-fi did not show "The @#%$"? That
has to be one of the best episodes of Q.L. that I have
seen. Sam helping "little Stevie" who would turn out to
be Steven King is great. Sci-Fi ommiting this epsiode
does hurt taping, any idea where we could find a copy?

Reply:
No fun....

As one might guess @#%$ is one of my very favorite episodes....too bad they won't be playing it...I think I taped it before though...if I can just find the tape
"MAAAAA" -the goat on @#%$

~Bluegoat (who obviosly isn't as organized as some)~

Reply:
@#%$ ommission

I liked @#%$ very much. It was very imaginitive. Maybe somebody thought Satan wouldn't sell product? Who knows? It's a shame not to run it though.

If we don't write to Universal/Sci-Fi with our issues and objections about leaving episodes out of the order and undue editing, they won't know we object.

I included my polite objection in my last letter to the President of Sci-fi about bringing Quantum Leap back to t.v. Hope you'll do the same so it's not the only letter on the subject he gets.

I hope everyone keeps writing Universal/Sci-Fi letters. They don't have to be literary fiction, they can even be the same letter each time as long as they come from you. We don't want the same letter coming from different peoople because then, it will look like a form letter.

Reply:
bluegoat

Date: 12/28/2000

Bluegoat...You're remarkably more organized than I was at your age.

Are any of your friends at school interested in Quantum Leap? Have any of them written Universal?

Reply:
alongtimefan...

Date: 12/29/2000

Wow, if I'm more organized than you at my age, you musta been a mess ;P *snicker*

My friends? Well some of them liked it, I don't talk to them about it a whole lot or anything. I know someone who seemed to really really like it, but I don't see her too often so I couldn't really ask. If the opertunity arises and I find someone else that likes the series as much as the rest of us and is interested in getting it back, I won't hesitate to tell them where to write!!!

~BlueGoat

Reply:
Maybe

Date: 12/30/2000

Maybe since they showed this episode for halloween it was felt that it didn't need to be shown. I don't know. but it is ashame for those trying to record the episodes in order that it was omitted.

Reply:
Bill...Good thought

Yes, BillCreeper, it is a shame. They also omitted the Leap Home around Thanksgiving. And, this was set at Sam's childhood home at Thanksgiving. Go figure, right?

I included a polite objection to episode ommission and undue editing in my last letter to Universal/Sci-Fi to ask for Quantum back on t.v., by the way.

Reply:
Contract Expiring

Someone on another Quantum BBoard suggested the Quantum contract may be running out and this could be a reason episodes are now ommitted.

Don't know if that's true, but all the more reason to write a polite letter to Universal about episode ommission along with your request to bring Quantum back with original actors (don't leave that out). This could encourage them to renew their contract. We don't want the original Quantum off the air.

Article 984:
On the episode Raped

Date: 01/16/2001

I would like some opinions on the episode called rape. The defendent got off mainly because of the influence of his father. Was Sam there to beat him up in order to wrong the right. I am asking that in case in the original there was more information concerning the outcome. Of course that was poetic justice for that guy to face the humiliation of being beat up by a girl! :)

Reply:
Sam did a wonderful thing

Date: 01/16/2001

Yes, Sam devined that he was there to beat the guy senseless. And, he did...Which was great. Kevin was a monster and needed to have someone set solid limits with him.

I think Sam's point was to make the guy realize that even though Kevin thought he had gotten away with it, that there could still be retribution. Kevin was just a sadistic little coward. So...Sam was warning Kevin not to dare try anything so vicious again, because there could still be unexpected retribution. What do you think?

Certainly after Kevin punched Sam (who Kevin thought was a defenseless woman) in the face...We were all very happy to see Sam pummel Kevin into a bloody pulp. And, told Kevin off while he was doing it.

Bill...I'm of the opinion Kevin might have been a considerably past humilation, after Sam kicked him in the crotch twice, hit very hard him in the face and solar plexus several times (Sam's a martial arts expert, after all), and threw him through a wooden gazebo. But, I may be wrong.

I probably misunderstood you on this...You aren't saying that Kevin will remember his humiliation at being beaten up by a woman more than he would the unexpected, horrendous beating?

Reply:
Thank you along

Date: 01/17/2001

Thank you along for your reply and I agree with you completely and appreciate your insights.
Also
I almost forgot to answer your question along. Certainly he would remember the unexpected beating but what I met was that after the wounds were healed he would be humiliated by the fact that he was beaten up by what he thought was a defensless helpless woman. Remember, this guy was a jerk and he thought that woman would be helpless and that he would be dominate over them but he was put in his place by Sam. I also have a feeling that when he came back to rape the girl again that some of the townspeople (in particular the jury members) would be shamed when he was arrested for attemped rape again. What do you think?

Reply:
yes

Date: 01/17/2001

Yeh...Kevin was finished....He could also be brought up on new charges. Bet he was. Hope so anyway.

Article 1064
Shocking!

Date: 01/23/2001

Wow, just viewed Shock Theater today? there?s only one thing I can say? man, that?s gotta hurt!

I remember seeing this episode when it first aired, and I remember thinking, ?Sam?s really in trouble this time.?

That is by far, one of Sam?s most difficult leaps. And tomorrow?s episode, where Sam and Al trade places? I love that one?. Although, I must admit that I was a little disappointed that Al?s leaping only lasted one episode.
Reply:
shock and leap back

Date: 01/23/2001

Thanks very much for your contribution and for joining the team. Together, We will make this happen.

I adored Shock Theatre. As a point of mild interest, I've some professional experience with electroconvulsive therapy (slang is shock therapy). After it's administered, it causes an extended period of confusion. These people need a supportive, quiet environment in which to recover. So, Sam's confusion is realistic and the fact that he was in such a situation is horrendous and tantamount to torture. Made me a bit ill actually to think about it.

Of course, the alternate personality part isn't realistic, but we don't expect realism from Quantum Leap...Just wonderful entertainment....Bellisario needs some creative license, doesn't he?

And, The Leap Back is unforgetable. It is one of my top 5 favorite Quantum's. Like most of the people on this BBoard, I do not (and will not ever) like Donna. She is not worthy of Sam. And, Sam was not married to her when he first started leaping (and so never actually experienced this marriage) so it is entirely unstandable that he did not remember that he was married. Since, he was only married in a reality that he had not participated in...I wish that part had been given more attention, but....I am thankful for whatever we get.

Reply:
alongtimefan.....

Date: 01/24/2001

I have never been so impressed by Donna either, but I don?t hate her. I guess it?s hard to create someone, anyone, who seems worthy for Sam, after watching all his sacrifices, leaping around time. Although, I?m not too worried about that because the show can only have so many themes.

One of them is ?to put right what once went wrong.? The other is the friendship of Al and Sam. A lot of shows focus on what I call the love cliche, where everything about the show is man finding that special lady or visa versa. Usually, that special someone is under his or her nose the whole time. Yadda, yadda, yadda? its been done a million times. I find it refreshing that Quantum Leap focused on the friendship of Al and Sam instead.

That?s why I love Mirror Image so very much. Finally, after all that time, Sam repays his best-friend-in-time for being there for him by telling Beth that he was still alive.

Reply:
alongtimefan...

I am not a doctor, so I am not sure, but I have heard of people having multipul personalities. It is very wierd. One women is like two. They are completly different. They somethings even wear a wig. They have different lovers, and differnet places they go. Niether half knows the other on is there. Isn't that wierd? Just thought I'd say something. I might be wrong, but it was worth a shot, right? Keep Leaping!

Reply:
The Leap Back... My Absolute Fav!

The first time I saw The Leap Back was... well, one and a half weeks ago, during the marathon. It is my absolute favorite of all QL episodes... even if I haven't seen all of them to be able to say that.

I watched it last Monday... and Tuesday... and Thursday... and Friday... and Saturday... and Sunday... and finally, yesterday.

My mom and sis came in while I was watching it last night, and I got carried away, and I started quoting everything! Except for Ziggy... she talks too fast. And some of Sam's scientific jargon is above and over my head... But, soon, I hope to buy a copy of the script, so I can novelize it. Then I'll be able to brush up on my quoting.

As for Donna, I really didn't like her. I haven't seen the episode when Sam saved his marriage with her, but I do know that it was a different actress. I think that's what was wrong with TLB. I didn't like the actress they chose. She was too... softspoken. Her voice was so soft and light, it just didn't seem right for the character of Donna...

Really, I wish TLB had been a two-hour episode... We could have seen more of the Project, and they could have gotten deeper into the other personnel of the Project, such as Gooshie, Tina, and Verbena. I guess I'm just spoiled from reading a lot of those novels...

I'll post more later... Don't want to miss my bus!

Joy C.

Article 1114:
What Sam did for Al

Date: 01/29/2001

I saw on an earlier post that people were saying that Sam changed his own personal history, but would not allow Al to do the same.

Well in 'A Leap for Lisa' Sam explained to Al that if he got Bingo (A younger Al) to leap into himself earlier so that he could save the second love of his life.

1st being is sister and 3rd being Beth.

Hope that settles it somewhat!

Article 1224:
Anyone have opinion on Temptation Eyes?

Date: 02/10/2001

Did no one on this bboard see Temptation Eyes?
This was the sort of episode that used to cause a flurry of posts. One of Sam's actual female connections while leaping (although not Abigal) and the only one who could see him for who he really was. I'm not a voyueur but really! This deserves some discussion, doesn't it?

I thought the psychic's character was somewhat contrived but I liked the fact that she could see Sam as Sam. I liked the underwear scene with Al. And, I liked the music (as an insight into Sam).

I kinda felt sorry for the killer (I know that's warped) ...that he was left alone on his b-day and that he lost his friend.

I thought it was interesting that Al just disappeared for 2 weeks and left Sam completely alone. Didn't seem normal, did it? I don't remember other leaps with so much down time.

Well, what did everyone think?

If no one replies on this...I guess everyone is just busy getting their Valentines in the mail. Or, at least I hope so.

Reply:
a good episode

It was a great episode. Evidently Sam's partner was the murderer except for the current one right. At least that was the impression i got. It was strange that Sam was left alone with the girl for two weeks. He really did love her and she him even though both knew it wouldn't last. It was a good episode but I guess I have seen so many mysteries that I felt somehow his partner might be involved in it from the beginning. Just like I figured right away that the cop was the killer when he was the blind pianist. But I figured those out more from seeing lots of mystery programs that actual deductive skill :) But it was a great episode.

Reply:
Some thoughts (you're not warped)

I too had the feeling his partner might be the killer. At the beginning he was very impatient with Sam about getting the story good and didn't seem very pleased that he was spending time with the psychic. Then when he was suddenly okay with the fact that Sam/Dillan missed his birthday... The phone call seemed somewhat suspicious too.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the episode. It's fun to figure out who killer is - good practice at collection clues.

I felt very bad for (what was his name?) the camera man. I think I have changed and I'm not sure why - several years ago I would have labelled him as evil. He's just had a tough life. Now that doesn't justify murder, but I still feel bad for him. When Sam was able to talk to him and show him what he was doing, he realized it was wrong, and I think if he could, he would have gone back and not commited the murders.
At the end when he was hanging from the building and Sam was trying to save him, I truly felt felt that the right thing to happen was for him to fall. Not because he was evil, but because the rest of his life would only be suffering. He would spend the rest of his life in jail and be tremendously guilty.
It is sad that the murders happened, but since Sam wasn't there to change that, given the circumstances I considered it a happy ending.

It's funny how Al is always urging Sam to go for the girl, but when it happens he doesn't like it.
Sam didn't really seem to need the two weks to complete his task, so maybe it happened so that he could kind of take a break from his overly-stressful action packed life. It was nice that he got to enjoy so much of his leap this time.

Okay, enough comments for now.

~Lemur3

Reply:
Interesting posts and also...

I agree completely Bill and Lemur. I've seen too many mysteries too.

And, it was like GTF gave Sam a 2 week vacation. I'm glad he got to spend it with someone he cared about. Tamara seemed like a nice person and an exceptional one at that (anybody is better than Donna).

I've noticed too that Al encourages Sam to go after women but when he does Al objects. Maybe, this is because Al is so focused on getting the Leap job done so Sam can leap again ...And, they are always hoping his next leap will be the leap home. Al has Sam's best interests at heart always. Also, conflict is the essense of story, of course.

Reply:
one of my faves

ive always liked this episode. i know earlier someone had mentioned this as one of sams few loves, and that they didnt like her as much as some of the others. what appeals to me anout her character - and the episode in general - is that she sees sam for who he really is. in all the years hes been leaping around, no one has seen his real face when they look at him. theres even some question as to what al really sees (ie: he knows its sam, but in gloria, he was ogling sams figure, taht kind of thing). tamlyn gets to see what SAM looks like, not the man he leaped into. as much as he loved abigail and donna, when he leapt into their lives, they didnt know who he really was; they only consciously interacted with the person they saw, not knowing someone else was behind that facade. okay im rambling now, but the point is, if sam had no chance of ever leaping out of dylan powell, at least he could spend the time with someone who knew the real him. can we say that about any other leaps?

sarah

Reply:
great post

Sarah. Great points. I liked Tamlyn also. She was unusual enough to be interesting. And, seemed to be very insightful and bright, too.

A couple of misunderstandings possibly...You tell me? Al did see the aura of the leapee in the first season or so, but presumeably Gushie reprogrammed Ziggy to avoid such future complications (as the Gloria debacle). Because in subsequent seasons, Al sees Sam....not the leapee's aura.

You are absolutely correct, Aligal did see the leapee aura and not Sam...But she was aware of Sam in a conscious way. She might not have known what she was perceiving, but she tells him that she percieved a change (while they were in the sherrif's office) during their first interaction....She said something like (paraphrased)..."Suddenly we fit together..."

Donna is Sam's wife and she is at PQL. She see Sam as Sam because he is not in a leapee when he is at PQL (his own time). Sam and Donna met during Project Star Bright. They are each physicists.

Some of us on this bboard are not crazy about Donna as we think Sam could do better. He was not married to her when he started leaping.

In Star Crossed (his 3rd leap), he changed his own personal history and was then, at that point, married 11 years. But, Sam never actually experienced that marriage until "The Leap Back." So, it is not all that unusual that he didn't remember the marriage ...One of the vagaries of Quantum. Other explanations as to why Sam didn't remember Donna is GTF didn't want him to do.

Great post! Thanks for the opportunity to discuss this.

Reply:
Justified Cheater?

Acctually one of the rare and amusing things about QL is that Sam can have a new girl every episode, and it's 'normal'. Hah.
He cheats on his wife all the time, partially because he doesn't know he has a wife, and partially because he has to in some leaps.
And do we think badly of him for having affairs with all these women? I don't...he can't stay in any relationship, and these relationships aren't really his, he's been pushed into someones life temporarily, and so he temporarily takes their relationships.

As for Temptation Eyes-
I like this episode, it isn't on the top of my list, but I do like it a lot. The psychic is a much better choice than Donna. One thing I didn't really like was the almost cliche'd backstory on how she found out she was psychic. She got all sad and emotional when she was talking about how her mother came and talked to her before she died. I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before. I'm not trying to be cold, I just thought it wasn't the most creative story for her ;P What's even weirder is that the evening after that episode, my dad was talking about dreaming of his mom right after she died. He said how he was talking to her on the phone in his dream, telling her about his worries and the like, when he suddenly realized that he couldn't be talking to her, because she was dead. His mom hung up.
Now when my dad told me -that- story, I felt more emotional, maybe it's because I never met my grandmother, and I wished I had? (anyway, big sidetrack)
I also didn't like Al's attitude, but it added conflict, which makes sub-plots work.

That's all I have to say...I think.

~BG

Reply:
no marriage=no cheating

Bluegoat ...What a fascinating story about your dad. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I loved your post. I have fun replying. I hope you don't mind a bit of debate?

Does it count as an affair if it's only kissing? Sam only had 4 real female "liaisons" in the entire time he was leaping. Do you really think all that kissing counts as cheating on his wife? He didn't remember he was married and some would argue (such as me) that he wasn't really married at all.

He changed his personal history...but in a timeline he was never actually in...Until "The Leap Back." He never experienced his marriage to Donna before that as he wasn't married to her before he started leaping.

No marriage=No cheating.

Plus, GTF did put him in situations where he had to be involved with a lot of these woman (as you said).

I didn't think it was the best written Quantum episode either...but it was an interesting one from many points of view. Thanks again for your post. I have to get off the computer now....I have a ton of things I haven't done this weekend.

Reply:
Yes, well...

Date: 02/11/2001

You had very good points there, and it -is- like he's single because neither he nor us knows that he is married in the episodes up to Leap Back, because even though we can assume something good must have happened when Sam helped young Donna, but it isn't confirmed.
Kissing isn't really having an affair, I suppose. But I sure wouldn't want my husband kissing girls and saying it isn't an affair and so it's ok ;P but Sam's situation is totally different, so don't think I'm complaining.

You think that was a good story from my dad? He gets a lot more interesting when he talks about the house he used to live in downtown St. Louis....it was haunted a bit. Some guy died in that house before they moved in. There are some weird things that happened in the house when they were little, but we don't need to get into that ;P
Besides, I doubt you'd believe me.

~BG~

Reply:
My thoughts...

Date: 02/11/2001

Temptation Eyes was one of my favorites, also, partly because we got to see Sam take his clothes off! But it was nice that someone saw him for himself. The Evil Leaper also saw Sam for himself whenever they touched, but that was because they were both Leapers. However, I always got the impression that Abigail's mother saw Sam as himself, because if you'll recall, she told him the last time that she "always knew he'd come back", and she was talking about Sam. Anyway, I just had the feeling that she saw Sam. And children who could see Al also saw Sam. Remember in the episode "Another Mother", when the little girl says "That's not my mother, that's a man"? But noone that Sam could really have a relationship with ever saw him as Sam in his leaps, so that made this time unigue. And like Bill & Along, I have read/watched so many mysteries that I, too, had figured out the killer before the end of the Leap. But it was still a great episode, and I agree that it was the best thing for Dylan to fall. As for Al, he always wanted Sam to have a physical relationship to satisfy Al's lust, but he never really wanted Sam to get involved with the people in his leaps emotionally, if you know what I mean. I think part of this was because Sam had been married so many times (5), and was never good at relationships. He cheated on Tina all the time. So Sam was the only really long-lasting and meaningful relationship he had, so he probably was a little jealous that Sam could connect with people in a way that Al couldn't. Plus, Al was just plain lecherous. Anyway, until "Mirror Image", when Sam changed history for Al & Beth, Al had pretty much been a loner and a drifter, while Sam had been married to his work, and never gotten over Donna (until he changed that history!). I think Along's right about Al wanting to get Sam home, because he was always telling Sam to just do something or other and then he could "Leap Out of Here". And I agree about Sam not being married. We all know he had a conscious, and he only slept with women he loved. (Al loved all the women he slept with, at the time he slept with them!) Think about how nervous Sam was about having to sleep with the bride in "Honeymoon Express", and then he finally prayed that he was doing the right thing, because by the end of the leap he had learned to love her, even though he knew he wasn't her husband. Whew! I didn't mean to get so carried away, but the responses to this one question brought up so many different questions! I'll stop writing now!
Emily

Reply:
loved it
Date: 02/13/2001

I loved this episode, although my cable reseption kept going in and out in fact it went out three times each for about a minute during the entire show.
What I found neat was that Tamlyn didn't see sam until he touched her. (Did he touch her before the mirror time, when the mirror changed?) if he didn't it seemed kindof neat that she saw him after he touched her just as it was with Alia?

Article 1234:
Whew!...a little of everything

I missed most of this week because of a killer schedule, and it's taken me most of the day to catch up on all the new posts! Rather than try to reply to each one, I'll do a summary of my replies here.

Favorite scenes:
I love when Al "dances" with Beth at the end of "MIA"; when the two wives decide that neither one wants the husband at the end of "A Tale of Two Sweeties"; the interaction between Brooke Shields and Scott in "Leaping of the Shrew"; when Scott sings "Somewhere in the Night" in "Piano Man"; and all of Al's one-liners.

Temptation Eyes:
This is one of my favorite episodes because finally someone sees him for himself. That has to be nice after leaping for so long. I really like the chemistry between the two of them.

Fairness:
I have to agree with alongtimefan on the fairness issue in the series. I'm not convinced that Mr. Bellisario is using the series as a forum for liberal/conservative issues in the quite the way that was suggested earlier.

80's music:
My absolute favorite. I could listen to Billy Joel forever. In fact, we just went to his concert with Elton John. Talk about incredible!!!!!

Stockwell interviews:
I would love to read more interview quotes. Thank you for sharing.

Welcome new posters:
This is a great group of people. I really appreciate the courtesy and respect that is evident in posts and replies.

Bellisario reply & Valentines:
I also received a reply. ...Interesting, however, that no one has received one from Sony or SciFi.... Send in those Valentines, I've been working on mine today. (I finally had time, although my children are hungry for dinner now!)

Husband's input:
One of my letters didn't shut down properly and popped back up when my husband turned on the computer. He was laughing and asking me what I was writing to QL. I explained, but he still laughed at me.
The other day, he watched just a bit of QL with me. He laughed very hard at something that Al said. I wish I could remember which episode and which quote.

Question:
At the risk of sounding technology-challenged (which I'm not), I can't figure out how to record QL from the tv. My tv is set to VCR to view SciFi on the Directv box's channel 244. To see anything on the vcr, the tv must be set to channel 3. How do I get all three machines to work together to tape things? I would love to have the whole series to view at my leisure.

Reply:
Hi and Good Synoposis, What'd You Think?

QLL. Too bad your husband laughed at you. Maybe in time, he will watch enough Quantum to laugh with you. Some of the episodes are pretty funny, as you know. I don't know too many men who don't really like Dean Stockwell. He seems to attract men's attention more than Sam (they both attract mine).

I liked your synoposis posting....It was intellible to me because I spent the entire day on the BBoard (I'm in big trouble now due to neglected work though). I HAVE to get off now. Better to do one post than no posts. Right?

I am so glad you are writing and sending Valentines. As I said in post 1233, we are the Quantum Leap Revival Team and we will succeed together.

What did you think of the comparison between Bellisario's 10/00 letter and his 2/5/01 letter (see post 1233 for old post number)? I'd like to hear your opinion to that post.

Hope you kids enjoyed their dinner. I bet they know Quantum Leap script lines by heart, with you as a mom. I can't teach my dogs anything but sit, stay, and be quiet while mom's watching Quantum Leap.

Reply:
Letter Comparison

Date: 02/12/2001

In comparing the two letters, I find it interesting that the tone changes from no hope at all, to allowing room for the possibility of something happening. Obviously everyone's efforts have made some sort of an impact. I mean, they changed the form letter that we all received! (I still find it interesting that Belisarius Prod. acknowledges our efforts, but no one has received anything from the other two.) I think if we all keep working hard at this, something is bound to happen. I would rather have the series back, but I suppose I could be happy with a movie version that concludes the series in a more acceptable way--a one-time movie is probably more likely to happen. I'm sending my Valentines today, with a courtesy one to Mr. Bellisario so he knows that we're still trying. QLL

Article 1284:
Bermuda Triangle

Date: 02/14/2001

Wasn't the Bermuda Triangle a great episode! It was one I enjoyed a lot but of course i can say that about all the episodes. But wasn't the beginning introduction scene one of the most suspenseful you have ever seen?

Reply:
YES!!!

Date: 02/15/2001

I love that episode! Of course, I love them all, but that one was really neat, because I live on the NC coast, so the Bermuda triangle is a reality to a lot of us! And so are ghosts! It's really funny because Al is so spooked, too!

Reply:
Ghost Ship and Ghosts...

I adored Ghost Ship, also. I haven't seen that one since the first run so it was like seeing a new episode. Which was great. I recognized the woman who played the bride from Spin City's first season...I only watched the show once and she was in it. Don't know much else about her.

I loved Al and Sam's interaction as always. Al was in rare form in that episode, wasn't he?

MTLeaper. Ever seen a ghost? I have (or something not completely explicable anyway). I'm not superstitious at all and don't really believe in such things...I'm the arch pragmatist....but, still...sometimes odd things happen.
NC gives me the feel that they'd have lots of ghost stories. Actually, so does Texas (I guess most places do).

Reply:
alongtimefan

As I said earlier, my dad has seen some...unexplainable things.
And I don't know if I believe in 'ghosts' but I do believe there is -something- out there that humans don't fully understand.

My dad used to live down-town St. Louis (we live in the county), there are lots of very very old buildings there. Anyway, someone that lived in my dad's house before them got really sick and died in there. He was some old man. When my dad was very young, they had a leak in one of the walls, that destroyed the wall. Instead of tearing down the wall and building a new one, they put up another 'wall' right over it. One evening, my dad and his brothers and sisters saw a light on this wall, it looked like a sillohette (sp?) of a man. They looked all around to see where the light was coming from, they shut off all the lights and shut the windows so no light was coming from anywhere, but they still saw something shining on the wall. My dad was the second oldest, and so he knew that the one way to find out where the light was coming from was to put your hand up over where the light was and move your hand back till you found the source.
So he did that, he got his hand just above the wall (he was too afraid to acctually touch it), and the light didn't shine on his hand, it was somehow in the wall.
It was there only for three days then never returned.

Explain it away all you want, but I can't explain it, and my dad gets very emotional (especially at the end when he talks about getting his hand up near the wall....), so he cannot explain it. He also talks about how he used to hear someone walking up the stairs to the attic at night, but no one would be there.
*shrugs*

I have a few real-life 'strange' experiences if anyone would be interested in me telling them. I also know a really freaky story from one of my friends...in the house they moved into out in the country.

~BG~

Article 1314:
It's A Wonderful Leap/Moment to Moment

Date: 02/17/2001

Re; It's A Wonderful Leap.

I liked the show a lot...The angel concept was good. Sam looked cute in the hat. Al was especially funny. The angel and Al's interaction was classic and could have easily been expanded upon...The jealousy triangle, with Al and Angileta vying for Sam's attention, was a clever touch.

It had to be one of the more "theatrical" of the episodes, in my memory. Al and Sam keep turning completely away from Angelita and towards the camera while they spoke to her.

Like when they were outside the cab company and she first made reference to seeing Al. And, Sam evasively asked her to whom she referred...Sam and Al turned their backs on Angileta and faced the camera to speak (as in a play, when the actors face the audience), instead of doing the natural thing and face the person to whom they are speaking.

I found this a bit disruptive. I don't like the director to alter the medium or Sam and Al to break character (at all or in any way)...It happens, of course, but normally, it's obscured by skillful editing...In this case, the scene was written that way.

I want to maintain..."the ability to suspend disbelief..." while watching Quantum. I don't want that dispelled or abridged in any way, even for the purposes of theatricality. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'll have to go back and note who directed this episode.

Re: Moment to Moment (on Monday).
Make sure you set your VCR's as it's only on once Monday...it's an especially funny and odd episode. Sam leaps into a very popular actor in a big time soap opera. He is pursued by a crazy fan. I can't help but feel that actors who're in overwhelmingly popular series maybe (in part) are a little cautious (or even afraid) of what nuts could be out there to do them harm.

I don't think anyone in the Quantum audience is that way, of course. But, still...I don't think fame is all it's cracked up to be. I know I wouldn't like it (money yes)...At least, not the kind of fame that causes some people to intrude on privacy.

Back to the episode...The way Sam reads the list of rules the crazy fan's husband give him is very funny. Al gives new insights into one of his marriages, too. Don't miss this one.

Keep the Leap Alive!!!!!

Reply:
A reason for backs to Angelita

Date: 02/17/2001

I kind of got the feeling that Sam and Al were more than just a little thrown off by having Angelita be able to see Al. They are used to talking privately, or for Al to be able to talk and make funny/rude comments without anyone else hearing. They seemed to step away every time they wanted to talk about the leap situation because that it what they're used to.

It was pretty funny when Angelita reffered to Al for the first time and Sam just kind of looked around like "what are you talking about."

~Lemur3

Reply:
lemur...and also

Date: 02/18/2001

Lemur...It was funny. I think what you said was supposed to be part of it...But, she couldn't see Al ....So why did he face the camera...With what she was saying...It would be human nature to turn around and look at her. Thanks for your interesting comment. I always look forward to your replies.

Reply:
Hmmm...

Date: 02/19/2001

I've seen this episode a few times before, and Sam and Al never seem to be looking at the camera to me. I think they are supposed to be looking at Angelita. My guess is, the camera angle is a little off, which is what creates the unintentional appearance that Sam and Al are looking at the camera. I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely that they'd deliberately break the "fourth wall" here when they didn't do it at any other point in the series.

Funny you should ask who directed this episode. It was directed by Paul Brown, who was with QL from the start and wrote many of its best episodes, including Camikazi Kid, Disco Inferno, and this one, among others. (That doesn't mean he didn't choose a bad camera angle, though.) :) This is the only episode he directed, and also the last one he wrote before moving on to other projects at the end of Season 4. (Sorry, I'm just full of useless trivia tonight!)

For those interested in learning more about Angelita, I recommend the novel Angels Unaware by Elizabeth Storm.

One last thing: it's Moments to Live, not Moment to Moment. Easy mistake. :)

W.A.

Re: moments to live

Article 1354:
Moments to Live

Date: 02/21/2001

This should probably be a reply rather than a post and I agree with along that there were some far fetched things in the plot because I don't think no studio would let a rising star like Sam was as the leapee have dinner with someone alone plus as along has said there would be cameras and publicity. Anyway it was a good episode. Fans are great and that is who the stars work for but we must remember they need private moments for themselves at times and their privacy should be respected even though this is difficult. An example is Elvis Presley who loved his fans but could not even go out to get a hamburger without people hounding him for autographs and ruining his meal. His people had to rent theatres after hours so he could enjoy a movie by himself even though he was the type of person that would have loved to have blended in the crowd and enjoyed a movie with people (remember they didn't have videos then).

Article 1494:
Or was it because you didn't care?

Date: 03/07/2001

I'm sorry, I know that there have already been at least 2 other posts on today's episode- Promised Land, but I didn't feel that what I had to say fit exactly in either of the posts <:p

I forgot how good this episode is. In it we get to see deeper into Sam's character, and some problems he was struggling with before he started leaping about. He blames himself for what happened to the farm and his father while he was gone at college, and he gets to relive it, and voice his fears in this eppy. The most tensly-emotional part I think, was not when Sam hugged his father (though that was a big part), but when the eldest brother and Sam were fighting. Everything that the older brother had to say could be said to the person Sam lept into--and Sam. As he says, he was starting to have trouble differentiating between this reality and the reality he left behind when he started leaping.
Scott Bakula did an EXCELLENT job in this scene, you can see the guilt and anger Sam pent up inside himself--blaming himself for something he couldn't really control. "If only I could have been there"

This emotional struggle with guilt could also be one of the reasons Sam feels he must go on in time leaping, saving others because he 'failed' at saving his family. He must have felt this even more so when he had lost his brother in Vietnam--If you think about it Sam had a lot of family trouble when he couldn't be there to help them out. At least in his origonal history.

I think another vital part of "Promised Land" is when the youngest brother tell's Sam about going out to their father's grave for 2 hours and the eldest saying how he made their father so proud since he made something of himself. I can see Tom saying that about Sam.

There are several other awsome parts in this episode, but I think I've bored you enough ;P, and I have to get back to my homework.

One last thing though: An episode I would LOVE to see is where Sam leaps into someone close to his family during the time he is gone at college. In the leap he would get a chance to help them out with the farm or something--this would help fill the whole in Sam's heart where the guilt sunk in.
What do you think?

~BlueGoat~

Reply:
Great post!

Date: 03/08/2001

That was a very insightful post, Blue! And I think you're right on target! Some of the episodes I've seen so many times I've memorized them, and then others I only see about once a year or so. This is one of those episodes that I haven't seen as often, but it was a very powerful and moving episode! And when Sam runs into people he knew, and they don't recognize him as Sam, it just makes you cry! The same thing is true in the 2nd part of Genesis, when he leaped into Tim Fox and called his dad. I was living in Charleston, SC when my great aunt got pneumonia and died, and since I was in final exams, I couldn't come up here and help my mother deal with it, and go to the funeral. My aunt was like a second mother to my mother (and second grandmother to my sister & me), so it was really tough. I have never quite gotten over it, and always feel like I failed my family in some way, even though I know there was nothing I could do. So I know how Sam must have felt about not being on the farm when his dad died. We all have to make choices about our own futures, and sometimes it means a conflict with other aspects of our lives. Boy, this is getting too heavy! But your post really touched a cord in me! We have to do everything we can to get QL back, and bring Sam home! Keep On Leaping!
MT

Re: Blood Moon

Article 1574:
Blood Moon

Date: 03/16/2001

Blood Moon is one of my "Al-centric" favorites. I love it when Al gets a lot of air time. Wasn't he just hilarious?

It's a little odd that an admiral, a MIT graduate, and a man who spent 7 years as a POW would be so superstitious, but we know that he is, in this and other episodes. I like to think of it as an eccentricity.

It was all funny. Regardless of circumstance, Sam remains Sam, doesn't he? I liked it when Sam said..."I hope the sheep are ok!"

I especially like the Al and Sam interaction. Occasionally (not often) Sam gets a somewhat overbearing and pedantic ...this is one of those instances. He sure gets his comeupance in the last scene, doesn't he?

But, even this was heartwarming...Regardless of how much he and Al argue, when push comes to shove...they still unconditionally trust and love one another.

It was all wonderful, but the final moment of the episode was a great touch. When he saw no reflection in the plate, Sam's self-assuredness evaporated. His timorous little "Al" said it all. To me, this expressed the trust between them...When Sam needs to, he turns to Al for support with the openness of a child.

Anyone else have anything to say on this episode?

Reply:
Al's great!

I, too, enjoy Al in this one. As self-confident as Al sometimes comes across, he does have his little quirks, doesn't he. This one is also fun because it's one of the few times when Sam leaps outside of the US.
Tomorrow's ep will be fun, especially for those new to the series! QLL

Reply:
Vampire Leapee's Reflection...

Very cool episode. I have never seen it before. The simple fact that the leapee had his fangs in the waiting room should have also clued everyone in that he was actually a vampire. Fake fangs could not have leaped through time with him. I wonder if he saw Sam?s reflection in the waiting room or if his aura was so overwhelming to the point were it was still nothing.

Reply:
some very interesting points

Thanks for the posts guys.

QLL...Have you noticed how often Al's quirk's come out? He is a good foil to Sam's normality.

Good...I hadn't thought about the fang thing before. Excellent point!

Reply:
These kind of...

...episodes are always fun. Sam and Al are great when they're on a lot and can draw a few laughs. And Al is always afraid of those kind of things. He was freaked by the Bermuda Triangle and the "Troian" episode. I totally agree along.

Luckleaper

Reply:
Luck

Luck. I'd completely forgotten about Ghost Ship.
Thanks for reminding me. That was another excellent Al-centric episode, wasn't it.

Maybe when Quantum comes back, we'll see a lot more of Al.

Reply:
fav line

I just wanted to say that I thought the funnest line in 'Blood Moon' was when Sam said to Al "It tells me that vampires and holograms have a lot in common'

Reply:
My Favorite Blood Moon Quotes

Date: 03/17/2001

Blood Moon was full of great quotes. Here are some of my favs.

Al: He has all the signs of the un-dead.

Sam: And you have all the signs of the brain dead.

Al: He's got all the classic signs. He's got the pale complexion, the beady eyes, the lustful stare.

Sam: Al, you just described yourself.

Al: Vampires are not merely bloodseekers. They are sexually obsessed and many of them possess insatiable carnal urges beyond the grave. Now, what does that tell
you?

Sam: It tells me that vampires and holograms have a lot in common.

You know, I've compiled a huge list of quotes that were said by or about Al. I've categorized it and everything. If you guys want, I can post it on the board.

Keep the Leap, Leapers of the World!!!

Joy C.

Reply:
To The Two Tinas

Tina x2

Thanks for the good laugh this morning. I enjoyed reading your posts.

Those were some of the funniest lines in all of Quantum.

My favorite line in all of Quantum is from Genesis:

Where Sam and Al are arguing and discussing options for getting Sam to leap again. Al says something like (paraphrasing)...

Al: ...Our best option is just to wait until all body functions cease.
Sam: That's called death.

Reply:
It was a great episode

It was one that i really enjoyed too like everyone. It is too bad Sam didn't take time to release the sheep though.
Yes Joy I would love for you to catagorize and post your quotes.

Reply:
Oh my gosh!

Bill. I completely forgot about the poor sheep!

Maybe, he did release them? We never see Sam take a shower or use the restroom (forgive me) either. So maybe on his way to the restroom, he stopped off and let the sheep out. Now that you brought this up, I have to believe they are ok for my own peace of mind.

Reply:
Couple of things

1: I think it is possible to leap with some physical stuff, like in "Killin' Time" Stiles ended up with a gun, though that gun looked a lot like the one Al had in "Lee Harvey Oswald", so I think somehow Stiles found a compartment or perhaps he somehow got it from Al before he noticed it.
2: There was one time he was in a bathtub, when he leaped into the babe that Al couldn't stop mooning over (I found it really funny when he kept telling Sam to put the towel down).

Reply:
well, seems like this is the place to be

I enjoyed reading everyone's comments about this ep. It is not one of my particular favorites because of the subject matter. However, these quirky eps do give us the best insight into Al and Sam's relationship, not to mention some great quotes. That is their saving grace for me. I was laughing so hard! They really have great banter, don't they? Of course, after 5 seasons together they seemed to have perfected the "Who's on first" routine quite well.

Article 1734:
The Pig Episode is on Wednesday

Date: 04/03/2001

If you haven't seen the episode please come back to my comments later and read no further until you have seen it.

This is basically an excellent episode with a great kiss with history with Buddy Holly. But it is one I have only seen once and is probably the only one that I will never watch again except maybe the last two minutes with Buddy Holly because I was very disappointed with the ending because Tess chose the jerk instead of Doc (the Leapee). Even though Sam was Doc it just seemed like Doc was a very decent person and deserved a better ending than the episode provided. Of course Tess was a spoiled brat so maybe she and the jerk deserved each other but Doc deserved better. Thus the only Quantum Leap episode that really disappointed me. One out of 95 or 97 depending on your point of view isn't bad.

Reply:
sure !

Date: 04/04/2001

After all Sam has been through for Tess, it's unfair ! The other guy only had to dance.
I agree, this episode was not very good.(except the smile of Al at the end...*sigh*... lol !)

H?l?ne

Reply:
Thank you Helene

It wouldn't have been so bad if the other guy hadn't been a jerk and they could have written in a happier ending for Doc like they did for Sam when he was the hospitalized Vietnam Viet (my mind is blank on the name of the episode right now). Except for the very disappointing ending for Doc it was a good episode actually but they ruined it for us that time.

Reply:
Purpose?

What was Sam's mission? what wrong did he put right? Everything ended up the same. What did he do?

Re: Guy Stockwell

Article 1854:
Date: 04/21/2001

Remember when you asked about who Guy Stockwell played in "The Right Hand of God"? Well, I just received my order of the first Observer with an in depth description of the first season. It says Guy played somebody named Edwards(no other name). Do you recall who this was? I didn't tape this ep so I can't check it out, did you? Let me know if you find out which character this is. I'd be interested to know if he did look like Dean 'cause I was scouring that ep looking for someone who did with no success.
Reply:
I found out!!

Date: 04/22/2001

and it didn't take long thanks to your information. He plays the ganster like guy that pays Sam to throw the fight. I thought that was him but your information confirmed it. I don't really see any family resemblence though but at least we know it is him. Thank you Vanished!
Reply:
Thanks, bill

Date: 04/22/2001

I knew you'd come thru. I had a feeling it might be the gangster guy too but I didn't remember them saying his name. That mystery solved!
Reply:
You are welcome Vanished and

Date: 04/23/2001

Thank you too. They key thing is that you found out that he played Edwards and from there it made it easy to solve. I look forward to hearing your comments on it when you get to see it again and observe closely and see if you see any family resemblences.

Article 2024:

"The Leap Home" today

Date: 05/14/2001

Great show! There was some interesting tidbits to be gleaned from this ep, like:

Al tells Sam he can't change things just like Al couldn't change the situation with Beth. We hear about the results from another leap in this leap. That doesn't happen very often, if ever.
Also, Sam's quizzical expression when he says "Beth?" show he really doesn't remember what happened in MIA. Maybe that's why he feels he has to try. He has much to gain, three members of his family depend on it.
Then Sam decides he isn't going to do this anymore. What if he really could do that? Would he continue on as himself thus repeating his entire life? What would be the ramifications of such a decision?
It's heartbreaking to see Sam so emotional in this ep and Al as well during the song "Imagine" (one of my faves too). He does a great job with it.
At the end it appears he hasn't changed a thing for Tom until we see where he's leaped. Good thing for that, it gives us hope. I'll leave that discussion for tomorrow. As we know their will be a lot to say in that regard.

I've virtually defected to the Star Trek sites, so it's nice to have something interesting to post about. Let's hear from everybody on this one!

(Reply ignored as from ykw)